First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Why is sex seen as indecent?
22097 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / On the Court
Offline
Posted 10/17/13

puellapeanut wrote:

It's only indecent when it involves tentacles.


This quote wins.
46659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 10/17/13
I feel that it is viewed as indecent by necessity. Society back in the day would use the negative view as a pseudo scare-tactic to keep a lot of the negative side effects of it at bay: teen pregnancy, disease spread, children out of wedlock, affairs, sex before marriage etc. Sort of a necessary evil from way back in the past when it was literally necessary for survival to keep sex restricted. Along the way it lost its original purpose (like most things) and became more of a 'tradition' (or de facto view) of society. Nowadays we have a wealth of information on sex, stds, pregnancy prevention methods, etc. so it isn't really even needed anymore. It is more or less a leftover mindset from generations before. A lot of things would have to happen before the negative view could be changed though and it is very unlikely that it will change anytime soon.
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 10/17/13 , edited 10/17/13
Trying to avoid teen pregnancy? The letter "A" is the answer:

17138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Texas
Offline
Posted 10/17/13
If it feels good/right then go for it ^.^ and if you want to talk about it afterwards.. well.. why the heck not?!
16438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 10/17/13
52009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 10/17/13
Sex = kids. Birth control does not stop unwanted children. America has had birth control for 60 years and we now have 40% of all children born out of wedlock. Society decided along time ago that most logical caregivers for children should be those who should have a natural affection and are responsible for the conception of that child, ei the biological parents. Marriage was a way for everyone to recognized that the children born from that union would be cared for by that couple. The Women had the legal support of the Father in raising her child and the Father gained legal parenthood over his child and could have reasonable expectation that it was his (something that used to be pretty hard to prove). Its only been fairly recently that people have started to look at marriage as a vindication of their love, not based on children. Sex was taboo because no one wanted to pay for a bunch of unwanted kids. As for STD being a "scare tactics" I work in a viral lab, they are all over the place and drug resistant strains are becoming more prevalent.
2078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 10/18/13
As many have said: we view it that way because of western religious values in america. Sex is considered a sinful carnal pleasure, and the United States sells its cultural and social values world wide. This includes "sex is a dirty and shameful thing" as well as western rape culture amongst many such cultural and social values. This is why everything that America does is big-time international news. We just have that much claught.
3201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 10/18/13
I think arbitrary regulations and social taboos on sex is a way for the powerful to further control people.
10577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / chicagoland
Offline
Posted 10/18/13
i think its really only taboo in america
and thats because we are a prudish based country based on puritanical christian morality
24325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / wherever my work...
Offline
Posted 10/19/13

swirly_commode wrote:

i think its really only taboo in america
and thats because we are a prudish based country based on puritanical christian morality


Actually, that's not true. We are the highest consumers of pornography out of any nation in the world. Have you seen the stuff on television and heard the stuff on radio these days? One only has to listen to Elvis Duran's morning show to know this is not true. It's only in higher religious areas where it's taboo. Even then, those areas are strife with it.

As to answer the main question, It's how civilization has become over time. It's also the same reason why if it weren't illegal, I wouldn't wear clothes. You ever notice the less clothes worn, the lower the desire for intimacy?
10577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / chicagoland
Offline
Posted 10/19/13

firefox39 wrote:


swirly_commode wrote:

i think its really only taboo in america
and thats because we are a prudish based country based on puritanical christian morality


Actually, that's not true. We are the highest consumers of pornography out of any nation in the world. Have you seen the stuff on television and heard the stuff on radio these days? One only has to listen to Elvis Duran's morning show to know this is not true. It's only in higher religious areas where it's taboo. Even then, those areas are strife with it.

As to answer the main question, It's how civilization has become over time. It's also the same reason why if it weren't illegal, I wouldn't wear clothes. You ever notice the less clothes worn, the lower the desire for intimacy?


we are the highest consumers of porn because we are a bunch of prudes living under some puritanical christian morality laws.
take your porn with you on the bus and read it while you ride to work. see how the people react to you. youll probably wind up in jail for endangering a minor or some stupid BS, public indecency or lewdness....
screw the christians and their stupid puritanical moral code
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/13

swirly_commode wrote:


firefox39 wrote:


swirly_commode wrote:

i think its really only taboo in america
and thats because we are a prudish based country based on puritanical christian morality


Actually, that's not true. We are the highest consumers of pornography out of any nation in the world. Have you seen the stuff on television and heard the stuff on radio these days? One only has to listen to Elvis Duran's morning show to know this is not true. It's only in higher religious areas where it's taboo. Even then, those areas are strife with it.

As to answer the main question, It's how civilization has become over time. It's also the same reason why if it weren't illegal, I wouldn't wear clothes. You ever notice the less clothes worn, the lower the desire for intimacy?


we are the highest consumers of porn because we are a bunch of prudes living under some puritanical christian morality laws.
take your porn with you on the bus and read it while you ride to work. see how the people react to you. youll probably wind up in jail for endangering a minor or some stupid BS, public indecency or lewdness....
screw the christians and their stupid puritanical moral code


Now, now. We're the highest consumers of porn because unlike other countries who are open about it, we're all closet perverts.

And sex is viewed as indecent is because of men. If men were better at sex, women would start viewing sex as decent.


All jokes aside, its not really indecent as long as you're not doing anything wrong. Legally, that is. It's just something that should be private.
Posted 10/20/13

Rena-Ryuuguu wrote:

Not many people talk openly about it and are all hush hush about it - nobody's like "I masturbated good last night"


*casually approaches friend*

”Hey man, I had a good masturbation session last night, what about you”
1180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Iowa
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
It might have something to do with trying to prevent younger age groups from partaking in underage sex but when you ban something people will try to do it more. It's honestly just better to be like yeah this is what happens be careful. Increase the education of safe sex.
3137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Behind you.
Offline
Posted 10/22/13

lraskie wrote:

It might have something to do with trying to prevent younger age groups from partaking in underage sex but when you ban something people will try to do it more. It's honestly just better to be like yeah this is what happens be careful. Increase the education of safe sex.


Yeah, areas that teach "abstinence-only" sex and don't bother to really educate young people makes the whole issue worse.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.