WEEKEND TICKETS GOING FAST!

PRICES GO UP AT THE GATE

PURCHASE TICKET
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Does an ending ruin an anime?
Posted 10/18/13 , edited 10/18/13
If an anime has a terrible ending like Gantz, Neon Genesis Evangelion (yes, I know they sort of fixed that with the movies, but let's not get technical), SAO, Angel Beats (I don't care about you fanboys/girls, that ending made NO SENSE), etc, does it ruin an otherwise great show?

If the rest of the show was great/amazing/whatever, but the ending is terrible (makes no sense, lackluster, dues ex machina, whatever the case is) do you automatically say "that show sucks" even though the rest of it was good?

How important is an anime ending to you?

For me the ending is paramount because that is what I mainly remember most about the anime.

Also, what are some of the worst anime endings you can think of as a side question?
15327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 10/18/13 , edited 10/18/13
I've only ever seen the original end of NGE and yes, it brought the series down in my opinion. I also hate unresolved endings and that also negatively effects my opinion of a show. So, yes, I think it can.
33518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M
Offline
Posted 10/18/13
I think an ending can ruin a show. I've rewatched many of the anime I like, but I can't do that with Guilty Crown because of the ending. Knowing what is coming ruins my enjoyment of the show.
Posted 10/18/13
Ending of Berserk, Rave Master, D.gray-man, and Blood-C ruined the anime.
71034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 10/18/13 , edited 10/18/13
I don't think the ending of Angel Beats was bad ( the events leading up to it on the other hand...)

I do think a bad ending can taint an anime, but I haven't seen an anime where the ending ruined it, that being said, I haven't seen that many anime to begin with
39936 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 10/18/13 , edited 10/18/13
YES. A bad ending can ruin a good or great show. I won't say that the ending is the most important part of the show, but when I decide if I like a show or not, I look at it from beginning to end and, sadly, some bad endings have really hurt some very good shows.

Shakugan no Shana is the most obvious offender in my book (but that's for the whole third season, including the ending). Took it down from what, for me, had been a near perfect show and dropped into the realm of merely good.

Guilty Crown's ending also made me miserable, and really ruined the show for me. Either they both should have lived, or both should have died. Either one would have been fine by me, but their ending 1) made no sense, and 2) was really sad.

Those were the most apparent offenders, but there have certainly been others that have simply let me down, just not to the same extent.


EDIT: In defense of a few...

Angel Beats! seemed to have a pretty logical ending to me.

The double deus ex machina in SAO actually seems to me to be part of the point of the show, but I'm very much in a minority in thinking that.
Queen Moderator
47852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
X / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 10/18/13
I quite enjoyed the ending of Angel Beats, with the story they had built it made perfect sense. o.O
&&
Sometimes endings can ruin it for me, it really depends on the specifics and just HOW bad they made it.
Sad endings doesn't make it a bad ending though like some people seem to think, but if the ending just doesn't make ANY sense, then yeah, it ruins it for me.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 10/18/13 , edited 10/18/13

iblessall wrote:

Angel Beats! seemed to have a pretty logical ending to me.


The rules of that world were disregarded entirely and there were plot holes in regards to the time of death and time of recovery that each character experienced. Overall, that world should have never become empty, most of the characters shouldn't have been the last people there, the girl's heart didn't make any sense, etc.

I thought the ending thoroughly ruined Angel Beats

And the personality of the Big Bad Guy in the last couple episodes of Soul Eater destroyed the entire series for me.
Posted 10/18/13

iblessall wrote:

YES. A bad ending can ruin a good or great show. I won't say that the ending is the most important part of the show, but when I decide if I like a show or not, I look at it from beginning to end and, sadly, some bad endings have really hurt some very good shows.

Shakugan no Shana is the most obvious offender in my book (but that's for the whole third season, including the ending). Took it down from what, for me, had been a near perfect show and dropped into the realm of merely good.

Guilty Crown's ending also made me miserable, and really ruined the show for me. Either they both should have lived, or both should have died. Either one would have been fine by me, but their ending 1) made no sense, and 2) was really sad.

Those were the most apparent offenders, but there have certainly been others that have simply let me down, just not to the same extent.


EDIT: In defense of a few...

Angel Beats! seemed to have a pretty logical ending to me.

The double deus ex machina in SAO actually seems to me to be part of the point of the show, but I'm very much in a minority in thinking that.





MikiSayaka wrote:

I quite enjoyed the ending of Angel Beats, with the story they had built it made perfect sense. o.O
&&
Sometimes endings can ruin it for me, it really depends on the specifics and just HOW bad they made it.
Sad endings doesn't make it a bad ending though like some people seem to think, but if the ending just doesn't make ANY sense, then yeah, it ruins it for me.


I love both of your points about endings, but I have to discuss my thoughts about the Angel Beats ending seeing as you both thought it made sense. I have to rant about this.

Spoilers for Angel Beats!

73053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 10/18/13

HauAreWe wrote:


iblessall wrote:

Angel Beats! seemed to have a pretty logical ending to me.


The rules of that world were disregarded entirely and there were plot holes in regards to the time of death and time of recovery that each character experienced. Overall, that world should have never become empty, most of the characters shouldn't have been the last people there, the girl's heart didn't make any sense, etc.

I thought the ending thoroughly ruined Angel Beats

And the personality of the Big Bad Guy in the last couple episodes of Soul Eater destroyed the entire series for me.


The whole acceptance theme at the end of Angel Beats kinda made me rate it down a bit. They had a good momentum going with how people moved on but then kinda ruined it in the end with a lack of proper plot. It definitely would have been better if they had an ending where each student "graduates" at their own pace or something like that since the idea of individuality was something they seemed to hold in high regards. The whole "I have your heart" thing seemed kind of cute and stuff but I would really have liked to known kanade's life if she survived a heart transplant and still manages to die in the same time period as her benefactor.
Posted 10/18/13
Some would say that the series, Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai., was ruined because the ending/OVAs. I'm not in this group, but I just though I should point it out.

But to your question, How important is an anime ending to you? Let me answer it this way: If the journey has been great leading up to the end of a series, then I would hope that it pays out in the end
Posted 10/18/13
I just thought of another one. Deadman Wonderland and the OVA. That show was so cool and then the ending explained NOTHING; the show basically didn't end. The OVA didn't help either since that didn't even show how Crow ended up at the prison only his time as a police officer.
Posted 10/18/13

Renji_Tamaki wrote:

Some would say that the series, Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai., was ruined because the ending/OVAs. I'm not in this group, but I just though I should point it out.

But to your question, How important is an anime ending to you? Let me answer it this way: If the journey has been great leading up to the end of a series, then I would hope that it pays out in the end


But you know what they say "It's about the journey not the destination"

Not that I agree, but I had to throw a flip-side point at you
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 10/18/13

hyour1n wrote:
I would really have liked to known kanade's life if she survived a heart transplant and still manages to die in the same time period as her benefactor.


That's the thing. She died FIRST. She was one of the first people in that entire world, he was one of the last (having arrived well after that purgatory world had been fully established.)

So, I was left with more of a "What? O.o" than an "Aww T_T"
48106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/18/13 , edited 10/18/13
A bad ending ruins the ending. But based on how the show is put together, the "ending" could span half the series. And further, if the entire premise of the show is based around the how it ends, then the only thing that really matters is the end. This was mostly the case with EVA, but I happened to really like the ending. Nevertheless, the ending of EVA basically is EVA. Whether you liked the ending of Nichijou, on the other hand, means approximately jack shit. A simple guideline is this:

Why are you watching given show?
A: To see what happens.
B: Anything besides A.

If you answer A, then what happens will determine whether you like it, and since endings happen, then a bad ending will be an unhappy happening. So basically, we have this rather stupidly obvious conclusion:

A bad ending will ruin a show if you care how it ends.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.