First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Does only your opinion count?
42866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
I'm actually glad that not everyone shares my tastes in anime/manga--it helps keep the prices down to near-affordable levels! But, seriously, I love reading about why people enjoy the shows/books that they do. Even if I don't share their tastes, it's fun to soak up their enthusiasm. And, occasionally, they even convince me to try something again. But I really don't enjoy the negative comments; I'm here for fun and relaxation, not to subject myself to whining or to witness abuse. My simple solution? If I'm not enjoying it--whether program or opinion--I leave it alone and move on.
81 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
If you have the view that only what you believe matters then you are a self-absorbed narcissist. That being said, never let other people influence you as to what gives you joy unless, of course, what gives you joy harms others.
20931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
When it comes to anime (or anything else, really), I can ask other people's opinions and listen what they have to say about the subject matter. If they have an opinion contrary to mine, but give a good enough reasoning to battle my own, I can completely reconsider my own opinion, reach a compromise or just agree to disagree.

On the other hand, if someone just shouts that they like/hate something and I should too, it doesn't exactly help to convince me that their opinion is very valuable. If they can't accept that I have a differing opinion and won't change it just for their pleasure, then that's their problem, not mine.

As for getting offended, I don't think my opinions are ever objectively better than others', so I am not going to be mad when someone says something I like is awful or vice versa.
Wrolin 
10314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Norway
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
First of all; sorry for my spelling haha. Ofcourse I meant OPINION, and not meaning. FYI, I am a girl.

And second; I think most of you guys don't understand my post at all. Its not about what opinions people have about your life, its your choice to choose whoever you wanna be with etc..

I was referring to people who always have to get a reason why you're not interesting in something, and almost giving themself a reason to get offended by you.
50394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
I love to hear other people's opinions. That's why I lurk on forums. It gives you a much better outlook when you can objectively listen to another person's point of view, and a lot of times, they will offer ideas that you never even thought of. This is how we learn!

However, I will admit it, I am guilty of hiding my own opinions. Mostly because I fear offending most people. On the internet I don't care as much, but face-to-face is a different story. In real life, I can be nothing but a yes-man, especially with people I don't know well. It's a really bad habit that I've been trying to shake. Just agreeing with everyone doesn't forward any conversation, it just puts one thought on repeat.

So, in that respect, I think I value my own opinions LESS than other people's, which sounds terrible.
15456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 10/21/13 , edited 10/21/13
I... I think you mean opinion, not meaning. I came to this thread expecting a "what I said/what I meant" argument, not this tired old dog.

Having your own opinions is important - it makes up part of who you are. Everyone should understand this and be willing to accept that someone out there will disagree with every single one of them. Disagreement does not have to mean conflict, however, so it's also important to be able to discuss these differences and express why they are felt. To blindly say "I love hamburgers" without knowing why, only to get angry at someone who says "Hamburgers are foul!" is stupid and breeds ignorance.

In short, we all like what we like and that's okay. We should all learn to be able to talk about these things with each other in constructive and meaningful ways.

Oh and we should all learn to laugh at the things we love.


Wrolin wrote:

First of all; sorry for my spelling haha. Ofcourse I meant OPINION, and not meaning. FYI, I am a girl.

And second; I think most of you guys don't understand my post at all. Its not about what opinions people have about your life, its your choice to choose whoever you wanna be with etc..

I was referring to people who always have to get a reason why you're not interesting in something, and almost giving themself a reason to get offended by you.


Oh, right, okay. Good. Not entirely sure what you being a girl has to do with making that mistake but we'll go with it.

Well I think even in light of the slightly changed question, what I said still stands. It is important to be able to articulate why you like something and why you don't, even if it's a stupid reason. I hate bananas with an absolute searing passion because I don't like the way they smell or feel in my mouth. Stupid reason but at least I know it.

As for being offended by this difference, that's just plain ridiculous. Anyone who is offended because someone else likes/doesn't like something they like/don't like needs to re-check their priorities. There are more important things to be offended by, like someone equating their gender to their intelligence
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 10/21/13 , edited 10/21/13
Not at all, if people tell me they don't like what I like, then too bad (though if they call it "crap" or something, I will get offended).

But I really get pissed off if people try to force me to believe that my opinion is wrong. There is no right opinion, but there is no wrong opinion either.
Wrolin 
10314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Norway
Offline
Posted 10/21/13

Broshmosh wrote:

I... I think you mean opinion, not meaning. I came to this thread expecting a "what I said/what I meant" argument, not this tired old dog.

Having your own opinions is important - it makes up part of who you are. Everyone should understand this and be willing to accept that someone out there will disagree with every single one of them. Disagreement does not have to mean conflict, however, so it's also important to be able to discuss these differences and express why they are felt. To blindly say "I love hamburgers" without knowing why, only to get angry at someone who says "Hamburgers are foul!" is stupid and breeds ignorance.

In short, we all like what we like and that's okay. We should all learn to be able to talk about these things with each other in constructive and meaningful ways.

Oh and we should all learn to laugh at the things we love.


Wrolin wrote:

First of all; sorry for my spelling haha. Ofcourse I meant OPINION, and not meaning. FYI, I am a girl.

And second; I think most of you guys don't understand my post at all. Its not about what opinions people have about your life, its your choice to choose whoever you wanna be with etc..

I was referring to people who always have to get a reason why you're not interesting in something, and almost giving themself a reason to get offended by you.


Oh, right, okay. Good. Not entirely sure what you being a girl has to do with making that mistake but we'll go with it.

Well I think even in light of the slightly changed question, what I said still stands. It is important to be able to articulate why you like something and why you don't, even if it's a stupid reason. I hate bananas with an absolute searing passion because I don't like the way they smell or feel in my mouth. Stupid reason but at least I know it.

As for being offended by this difference, that's just plain ridiculous. Anyone who is offended because someone else likes/doesn't like something they like/don't like needs to re-check their priorities. There are more important things to be offended by, like someone equating their gender to their intelligence


I wrote "FYI. I am a girl" because someone here on the forum was referring me as a "he". I'm not saying I'm stupid just because I misspelled. Well yeah thats what I'm trying to say. Just because you don't like bananas wont change the fact that I like eating bananas. And even if you say you don't like the taste, I can still like the taste of the banana without getting offended because you don't like it.

Ugh I'm just really confused with everyones comments now, and I feel nobody get what I am saying.

50394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 10/21/13

Wrolin wrote:

I wrote "FYI. I am a girl" because someone here on the forum was referring me as a "he". I'm not saying I'm stupid just because I misspelled. Well yeah thats what I'm trying to say. Just because you don't like bananas wont change the fact that I like eating bananas. And even if you say you don't like the taste, I can still like the taste of the banana without getting offended because you don't like it.

Ugh I'm just really confused with everyones comments now, and I feel nobody get what I am saying.



Okay, okay. I'm trying to understand. So, the question is whether an opinion should be influenced by another opinion? Or whether an opinion should be justified? I think opinions should be influenced, honestly. A changing opinion means you've discovered something new about XYZ and have adjusted your thoughts accordingly. That's good in many cases. The whole reason we share opinions is because we want other people to learn what we've learned, right? Opinions should also be justified if you want to engage in an argument about something, but if it's something as insignificant as "I like bananas" then who cares? Like what you like. You don't have to justify your likes and dislikes, and other people shouldn't be offended by it. They should respect you as you respect them.
46659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 10/21/13

moonhawk81 wrote: If I'm not enjoying it--whether program or opinion--I leave it alone and move on.

This is what everyone should do! I agree with you so much. Bottom line is, Anime is an entertainment medium, if you aren't entertained by a certain show move on! If someone doesn't like something, then they don't like it; it didn't entertain them the way they want. Its not because they are 'too dumb to formulate reasons' or anything and its not because they think the show can't be entertaining to anyone. People need to be more open-minded and know that opinions aren't the be all, end all determinants of a show's quality.

Wrolin, don't be afraid to share your opinions/discuss a show with people. If they are nice people and/or your friends then they should be somewhat open-minded to your ideas and opinions. Discussion and understanding is usually better than not having it, especially when you have to watch what you say and fear offending people.
Wrolin 
10314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Norway
Offline
Posted 10/21/13 , edited 10/21/13
Its not about what people likes or dislikes. Its simply about if you have a conversation with someone in general and tell/ask them about something, and they don't give you the answer that you apparently want. Are you going to say "Okay thats fine" or start a discussion?

MY POINT IS, and PLEASE stop taking it all other ways, does only your opinion count inn all cases, or are you okay with people having other opinions? ITS AS SIMPLE AS THIS.
15456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 10/21/13 , edited 10/21/13

Wrolin wrote:
MY POINT IS, and PLEASE stop taking it all other ways, does only your opinion count inn all cases, or are you okay with people having other opinions? ITS AS SIMPLE AS THIS.



If you have an opinion, you must accept other people have them as well. To you personally, only your opinion will matter, but that does not mean someone else's opinion shouldn't ever have an influence on it - being able to admit you were wrong or take on a new view separates us from the riff-raff.
50394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 10/21/13

Wrolin wrote:

Its not about what people likes or dislikes. Its simply about if you have a conversation with someone in general and tell/ask them about something, and they don't give you the answer that you apparently want. Are you going to say "Okay thats fine" or start a discussion?

MY POINT IS, and PLEASE stop taking it all other ways, does only your opinion count inn all cases, or are you okay with people having other opinions? ITS AS SIMPLE AS THIS.


Okay. I'm sorry I misunderstood. I appreciate the discussion you've started here - these are all opinions about opinions, right?
13542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / uk
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
sometimes, on the internet, its nice to find people who share your opinion and that can be hard on certain subjects. occasionally, if i like something so much you want to know why others dont, its not that i want to argue, i want to know their views (which are obviously different to my own). just part of getting to know peeps i think
Posted 10/21/13
I really don't like all these yellow smiley faces used on cr. Every one of them irritates me -.-
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.