First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Does only your opinion count?
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
Does the whole opinions are like assholes and everybody has one make any sense?

Aside from that, whenever I'm on the internet I see people getting death threats for stating an opinion. Everybody can share their feelings over something until one asshole steps in screwing things up.

I enjoy Shingeki no Kyojin and the viciously insane fanboys/fangirls in the fandom all need therapy or a life. The same is said for the ones that dislike the show that say hurtful words to the people that like it. Not all fans are crazy/pricks though.
266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Uno-77 // gE
Offline
Posted 10/21/13 , edited 10/21/13
No. I crrrave people.. and there opinions. Why? Because it helps me form answers that are better suited for everyone rather than having to say the same things over and over different ways just to please people. =^.^=
24325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / wherever my work...
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
I couldn't care less what people think. My opinion is my opinion. I think something is good, it's good to me. I'm extremely flexible and believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they better come with facts, sources, and a positive attitude if they want to debate me. If I don't know something and I don't agree, don't take it personally. I don't believe something until I see it with my own eyes.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
Well for those under 30 I wished they did not I find people let there emotions rule there logic if they have any logic. Most there teacher have little understanding of the world an have never competed it the free market place. That and many have lower S.A.T scores and are poorly motivated. It takes time for young to develop it to real adult many youngster just regurgitate what they been taught.. That being said if you depend on the government for your need your opinion means nothing to me as well. My belief you stand on your own then you have my respect. (If you need others to so called stand up then your opinion that of other.)
Sogno- 
45686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/21/13
are you saying other people have opinions?!

who knew
21339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/21/13 , edited 10/21/13
When I started taking my first Political Science class in college, I was told one thing. YOUR OPINION DOES NOT MATTER, UNLESS YOU CAN STATE THE SOURCES OF YOUR INFORMATION. All that basically means is that if your going to blabber on about whatever, you need to be able to clearly tell me where your information is coming from. Another thing I was told, is that the media doesn't matter, so don't tell me "I heard it on the new". By now you should understand that the media is designed to bring out are emotions. To make this short, your opinion matters if you can state where you information is coming from. If not, then don't bring it up.
15456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 10/22/13 , edited 10/22/13

firefox39 wrote:
I'm extremely flexible and believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they better come with facts, sources, and a positive attitude if they want to debate me.



MajesticTokolosh wrote:

When I started taking my first Political Science class in college, I was told one thing. YOUR OPINION DOES NOT MATTER, UNLESS YOU CAN STATE THE SOURCES OF YOUR INFORMATION. All that basically means is that if your going to blabber on about whatever, you need to be able to clearly tell me where your information is coming from.



If you are debating an opinion, these two things (facts and sources) are not needed. If you are debating something factual (say sociology or a particular debate on a historical event) then yes, you will need facts and sources. If you are arguing over why Majestic Prince is better than Gargantia On The Verduous Planet (or whatever the full name is), you need nothing more than to provide well-reasoned arguments that are more than just hate scrawled on a page.

It's not like there's a fact or a source that details why Call of Duty is bad. It's all conjecture and formed by personal views. It's not a fact that the majority of the fan base are blithering idiots, it's an opinion. It's still valid because of the experiences most people have with the fan base. While there are sources that might suggest the game is behind the times in terms of design or graphical power, this can't be proven to be true without the developer saying so. This in mind, it will always lack a fact.

Understand that facts and opinions are two different things. Opinions are what we think, facts are what we know. The moment something becomes solid, it is a fact. Until then, it is an opinion and anything you use to back it up is also an opinion. The exception to this is when debating something factual in nature that requires figures to back up your points, such as political science in Tokolosh's case. Most things don't fall under this category.
98153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Location
Offline
Posted 10/22/13
I can except criticism to a certain point.

Eventually it's just nitpicking.

However, I believe anyone should have their own opinion

For example:
Oh, you think Key animation is shitty?

Whatever that's your opinion.

I don't agree with you but, hey!

That's your opinion and I won't judge you for that.

Go with the flow man.
31009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 10/22/13 , edited 10/22/13

Wrolin wrote:

Its not about what people likes or dislikes. Its simply about if you have a conversation with someone in general and tell/ask them about something, and they don't give you the answer that you apparently want. Are you going to say "Okay thats fine" or start a discussion?

MY POINT IS, and PLEASE stop taking it all other ways, does only your opinion count inn all cases, or are you okay with people having other opinions? ITS AS SIMPLE AS THIS.


Of course I take in consideration of other peoples opinions, my opinion counts as much as the other opinion.. But that is where all this stuff about ignorance and what all the other people are talking about -comes in. I don't think people thinking about something being "the best" only because they like it *no fact of it being it* is right, that's ignorance, people who say something that they think is right and no matter what you say, they're still right, those "opinions" are not worth claiming to be an equal opinion to something that I think of the subject, of course if mine is ignorant as well, then it can be counted as no value as well, but I try to keep my opinions well backed by information.
Of course likes and dislikes are something else.. If I like, let's say School Days, you know there are a lot of people that hate it, this isn't something that can be changed via facts, because it's something that I as a person liked. However, if I start preaching about how great it is and all the good things about it, of course there is some information that could back this up, but I could not say it's the best cause it has many flaws.. But let's say I do say it's the best, that then is a misguided opinion, which isn't worth your time -.- Those opinions are something that I can't stand. Likes and Dislikes are different kinds of opinions, they don't claim anything that you as a spectator of the opinion, should really care for/ accept, this is an opinion that doesn't affect you, but tells you about me as a person,
I like School Days, just because I enjoyed it. Now that is an opinion that I can tolerate.

Opinions are all different, whether you see them as ignorant or not, they are opinions, they are there to make you change what you believe in, they are not there to force you believe in something, they are there to convince you to believe in something "else".

And as for your question...


does only your opinion count inn all cases, or are you okay with people having other opinions?


A person that thinks of his opinion only, is a stupid egotistic ignorant foolish shit, even if he's smart, he's still egotistic -.-
If you are not okay with people having their own opinion... Well goodbye freedom and hello Totalitarianism or maybe a Police State
Well that is.. if you think of the almost worst case scenario...
Wrolin 
10314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Norway
Offline
Posted 10/22/13

qualeshia3 wrote:

I enjoy Shingeki no Kyojin and the viciously insane fanboys/fangirls in the fandom all need therapy or a life. The same is said for the ones that dislike the show that say hurtful words to the people that like it. Not all fans are crazy/pricks though.


Thats my point. You can like the anime, and I can simply say I'm not interested without hurtful words. And people can respond with "Okay" without being rude.
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/22/13


We really need more people like that in fandoms. The calm, sane, and respecting towards others in and outside a fandom.
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Online
Posted 10/22/13 , edited 10/22/13
I will gladly accept peoples opinions, however, I will only do so if they give reasons for said opinions. If you were to say 'Attack on Titan is shit' I would probably think you're a troll, but if you say something like 'I didn't like Attack on Titan because I just couldn't create a connection to the characters. I also wasn't too big on the art style.' or something along those lines I would accept it because at least you've backed up what you said.

It interests me to look at what other people think, it can often change my outlook on something if I maybe missed something in, say, an article of some sort. But a simple and stupid comment like 'This sucks and the fanbase is gay' is a pointless attempt at attention seeking in my view.

I also hate when people act like what they're saying is fact like 'This series really doesn't deserve all the attention it's getting. Why does no-one see how bad this is compared to...' and miss the point of opinions even existing. Anything and everything can either be absolutely brilliant and complete shit at the same time, because no-one's opinion is right.

In the end, if you are absolutely so cut short for time you have to give a brief answer, at least be subtle with what you say. 'It wasn't really my cup of tea' is a lot more sophisticated and easy to accept than 'that was a load of bullshit and you're retards for liking it'.
18643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Ireland
Offline
Posted 10/22/13

qualeshia3 wrote:



We really need more people like that in fandoms. The calm, sane, and respecting towards others in and outside a fandom.


Hmm. Calm, sane and respectful to others is exactly what fandoms are not. Being fanatic about something is, by definition, liking it excessively and/or irrationally. What we need are less fandoms and more calm, sane and respectful communities. But I absolutely agree that more people should calm down and respect others (in general).

As for whether other people are allowed to have opinions: of course. But there's a wonderful comparison often drawn between religion and male genitalia, which I think pretty much goes for opinions too.
24325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / wherever my work...
Offline
Posted 10/22/13

Broshmosh wrote:


firefox39 wrote:
I'm extremely flexible and believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they better come with facts, sources, and a positive attitude if they want to debate me.



MajesticTokolosh wrote:

When I started taking my first Political Science class in college, I was told one thing. YOUR OPINION DOES NOT MATTER, UNLESS YOU CAN STATE THE SOURCES OF YOUR INFORMATION. All that basically means is that if your going to blabber on about whatever, you need to be able to clearly tell me where your information is coming from.



If you are debating an opinion, these two things (facts and sources) are not needed. If you are debating something factual (say sociology or a particular debate on a historical event) then yes, you will need facts and sources. If you are arguing over why Majestic Prince is better than Gargantia On The Verduous Planet (or whatever the full name is), you need nothing more than to provide well-reasoned arguments that are more than just hate scrawled on a page.

It's not like there's a fact or a source that details why Call of Duty is bad. It's all conjecture and formed by personal views. It's not a fact that the majority of the fan base are blithering idiots, it's an opinion. It's still valid because of the experiences most people have with the fan base. While there are sources that might suggest the game is behind the times in terms of design or graphical power, this can't be proven to be true without the developer saying so. This in mind, it will always lack a fact.

Understand that facts and opinions are two different things. Opinions are what we think, facts are what we know. The moment something becomes solid, it is a fact. Until then, it is an opinion and anything you use to back it up is also an opinion. The exception to this is when debating something factual in nature that requires figures to back up your points, such as political science in Tokolosh's case. Most things don't fall under this category.


Perhaps I should have said sources for the facts.
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/13
I'm not exactly sure what's meant by "count," but I can think of only two ways to answer this:

1. The only opinions that count are the ones that are correct.

or

2. The only opinions that don't count are the ones that are known to be incorrect.

Which answer I give depends on what "count" means. If it means something along the lines of "worthy of being accepted," then I choose answer 1. If it's closer to "worthy of being considered" then I give answer 2. Either way, it's going to be pretty difficult and usually impossible to determine, definitely, which opinions are correct. Which basically means that any opinion that hasn't been invalidated might still be valid, in which case it's worthy of being considered, although perhaps not accepted. Hence, my two answers.

I think the best way I can answer the question "Does only your opinion count?" is: My opinion only matters insofar as it is closer to the truth than the available alternatives, and the same applies to everyone.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.