First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Interesting read on Japan's shrinking birth rate.
51754 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/20/young-people-japan-stopped-having-sex

Read up on this interesting piece today.

Quote from the article

Japan's under-40s appear to be losing interest in conventional relationships. Millions aren't even dating, and increasing numbers can't be bothered with sex. For their government, "celibacy syndrome" is part of a looming national catastrophe. Japan already has one of the world's lowest birth rates. Its population of 126 million, which has been shrinking for the past decade, is projected to plunge a further one-third by 2060. Aoyama believes the country is experiencing "a flight from human intimacy" – and it's partly the government's fault.


The article covers even that's it not just shut-ins, but generally social well adjusted folk that, simply put in their own words, "Can't be bothered with relationships".

Thoughts?
4934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M
Online
Posted 10/21/13
well, who needs the drama really, might that be some of the issue.

also so many other factors, overpopulation and costs of, and so much more.
3137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / Behind you.
Offline
Posted 10/21/13

demographer Nicholas Eberstadt argues that a distinctive set of factors is accelerating these trends in Japan. These factors include the lack of a religious authority that ordains marriage and family, the country's precarious earthquake-prone ecology that engenders feelings of futility, and the high cost of living and raising children.


Lack of a religious authority? Really?

Seems to be that it's because it's really difficult to juggle work and marriage/a relationship in Japan, that I guess nowadays people don't really bother anymore. Men don't want to be absentee workaholics, and women don't want to be stuck as stay-at-home wives. There's also the issue of technology decreasing social contact. But if people don't want to have a relationship, they don't want to. If it's the attitudes of society that are preventing them, then obviously those should be changed, but if they just want to be celibate...I mean, Japan already historically had a low birth rate, and yet there's still crowding.
1296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
As long as it doesn't get too bad, what's wrong with it? It's certainly giving the Earth's resources a break, so why try pushing them to have babies when it's more beneficial not to?
58 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tokyo, Japan
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
Well, I'm not sure why they'd stop really, as long as they don't repeat the same thing over and over, then it doesn't really matter.
3201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
I don't really see a problem with this. The world has got plenty of people and so does Japan.
41910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 10/21/13

camontour wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/20/young-people-japan-stopped-having-sex

Read up on this interesting piece today.

Quote from the article

Japan's under-40s appear to be losing interest in conventional relationships. Millions aren't even dating, and increasing numbers can't be bothered with sex. For their government, "celibacy syndrome" is part of a looming national catastrophe. Japan already has one of the world's lowest birth rates. Its population of 126 million, which has been shrinking for the past decade, is projected to plunge a further one-third by 2060. Aoyama believes the country is experiencing "a flight from human intimacy" – and it's partly the government's fault.


The article covers even that's it not just shut-ins, but generally social well adjusted folk that, simply put in their own words, "Can't be bothered with relationships".

Thoughts?


My thoughts?

I'm finding this statement from that article hard to believe: "increasing numbers can't be bothered with sex."


I need actual evidence, rather than just words. I believe people aren't mindlessly popping out babies as fast as they can anymore because theres contraception technology etc, but not having sex anymore? We're not asexual.
Posted 10/21/13 , edited 10/21/13
I doubt they're asexual, but it is not only birth-control and contraception only either.

I've watched several documentaries about this issue (some of which were filmed and commented on by Japanese in Japan) and the problem also lies with lack of interest, too much work, too little free time...etc.

Japanese people are very hard workers, and this is also affecting family life/dating/etc. They're so focused on work they're letting family and children wait until later, which is also slowly slowing the birth rate.

Many in Japan have also commented on how their society seems to be filled with older people as well.

I personally do think if the problem isn't rectified, it eventually will spiral out of control.
258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
This is occuring in alot of well developed countries since having kids is becoming more and more financially difficult.
32473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
Exactly what is the problem here?
41910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 10/21/13 , edited 10/21/13

otakurocklee wrote:

Exactly what is the problem here?


if you go and live in japan, nobody will want to have sex with you because they can't be bothered
2702 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 10/21/13
Who is going to make the anime if nobody in japan is being born? This is a crisis!
32473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 10/21/13 , edited 10/21/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


otakurocklee wrote:

Exactly what is the problem here?


if you go and live in japan, nobody will want to have sex with you because they can't be bothered


meh, not so different from my relationships now.
12594 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Elkhart, Indiana
Offline
Posted 10/21/13

otakurocklee wrote:


Goremonger wrote:

Who is going to make the anime if nobody in japan is being born? This is a crisis!


Ok. I admit, this is a concern. Now I'm worried!


That was my first thought

Sogno- 
21296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/21/13

Goremonger wrote:

Who is going to make the anime if nobody in japan is being born? This is a crisis!


japan you better get on it
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.