First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Interesting read on Japan's shrinking birth rate.
31283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Toronto
Offline
Posted 10/23/13 , edited 10/23/13
They have blow job bars. Hot girls $20. Who would have a relationship?

"Blowjob bars, Soapland and sex clubs! - now, rumour has it (in other words, I read Tokyo Vice) that providing actual vaginal intercourse is illegal in Japan - but that anything else is OK. This means that sex clubs have to use a lot more imagination with the things that they offer. "Soapland" is a term used for something similar to a massage with a happy ending, only the girls soap up the lucky guy to "get to know him" before it becomes OK to pay for services (I worry that there's something deeply Freudian about getting off in a bubble bath, but hey). Blowjob bars? I'm sure you can guess. I've heard rumours of no-pants restaurants and the famous eat-sushi-off-a-naked-woman restaurants, although I've never found out where they are. Oh, and of course there are strip clubs and lapdancing bars... I've heard it said (tsk, male friends) that the strippers here get you to remove their clothing for them. Intimate... but surely "stripper" wouldn't be the right word, then? That's like a comedian who asks you if you know any good jokes."


You can Google videos. 18+.... It's legit.
7025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 10/23/13 , edited 10/23/13
I think there was a Hentai that revolved around this kind of thing once...

Well at least over population should decrease a little, considering how small Japan is I guess it's kind of a good thing. Right?
26418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/13
This is a serious issue. Those who say its overpopulated anyway really don't understand the ramifications of consistent negative birth rate. As the population gets older and retires who will be the people working so their taxes can pay for social services. Japan has been in extended financial crisis and now you add in the prospect of a lower number of taxpayers? Not to mention a lower number of spenders to keep its economy from collapsing? How about the reduction in young ideas and innovators? If Japan's population went from 120 million to 80 million, it would be catastrophic. Japan is a world wide innovator and its status as such could be compromised. It may become irrelevant, a shadow of itself..
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / New York
Offline
Posted 10/23/13 , edited 10/23/13

camontour wrote:
Thoughts?


An expanding population requires economic growth just to reach a zero sum state.

A shrinking population, with minor, or even zero economic growth, equates to wealth and prosperity.

Conclusion: people who think this is a bad sign, are expressing a malformed opinion.
66474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M
Offline
Posted 10/23/13

AshRandom wrote:


camontour wrote:
Thoughts?


An expanding population requires economic growth just to reach a zero sum state.

A shrinking population, with minor, or even zero economic growth, equates to wealth and prosperity.

Conclusion: people who think this is a bad sign, are expressing a malformed opinion.


Hardly. An aging population is placing more drain on the system as individuals become less productive while requiring more medical care. Retirement gets put off longer and longer because individuals have no one other than themselves to provide support. This leaves jobs filled, so new workers can't get a head start on their own lives. And the overall number of jobs available declines because the shrinking population doesn't have the consumer base to support the industries. Things won't stabilize again until the last top-loaded generation dies off and an equilibrium is reached again.
18643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Ireland
Offline
Posted 10/23/13

camontour wrote:

http://kotaku.com/wrong-about-japan-and-sex-1450567428
Yeah, I know it's kotaku, but the article does bring up some interesting points. Mainly, that Japanese folk are bumping uglies, just no babies. Maybe more use of contraceptives and other birth controls?

^ This.
The reality is almost certainly not as extreme as it's made out to be in the original article. Likely, kotaku isn't quite accurate either but the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 10/23/13

RodaFrog_Sak wrote:

Easy: if the birth rate is too low, when people get older there will be less money to spend on their retirement due to a smaller working population.

If this low birthrate persists they face societal extinction


I don't see the problem. Were the country to get to levels where the older population is in too much of a need, they simply need to reform retirement or provide a method of increasing monetary flow within the country as the population declines within the younger generation.

Either way, Japan is at the point where the population already has high congestion in various locations within the country. It's a simple matter of balance to accommodate the change in birth rate, whether it be increasing tourism or focus on an increase in general population through immigration.

Either way, it sure beats the population hitting levels that require the government to impose limitations on its birth rate.
56136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / NE
Offline
Posted 10/23/13
A depressed economy putts a lot of stress on people. During the Great Depression in the US birth rates dropped by around 20%. Japan has had economic problems since the early 1990s.
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 10/23/13
Even going from people I know in Japan, they don't see an immediate concern, their concern comes for where their kids or even their grandkids will have when they are adults. So 40-80 years in the future at least, and even then the effects probably won't be immediate and will take time to happen. But economically i'm sure it will have an effect in the future if the birth rate keeps on declining every generation. Going from 120mill to 80mill might not seem bad right now especially if the country is overpopulated, but if that 80 mill turns into 40 mill in the next generation, that means in 2 generations or so you have gone from 120 to 40 million people and that could be a disaster for any country (think if America did that for instance but with our numbers and the percent of decline Japan is having).

I'm sure it wont be as bad as that but that is what people are seeing as a future if decline keeps up.
16058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/13

HauAreWe wrote:


RodaFrog_Sak wrote:

Easy: if the birth rate is too low, when people get older there will be less money to spend on their retirement due to a smaller working population.

If this low birthrate persists they face societal extinction


I don't see the problem. Were the country to get to levels where the older population is in too much of a need, they simply need to reform retirement or provide a method of increasing monetary flow within the country as the population declines within the younger generation.

Either way, Japan is at the point where the population already has high congestion in various locations within the country. It's a simple matter of balance to accommodate the change in birth rate, whether it be increasing tourism or focus on an increase in general population through immigration.

Either way, it sure beats the population hitting levels that require the government to impose limitations on its birth rate.



You forget how xenophobic Japan is. Any solution involving foreigners is highly unlikely. Also, you omitted the second half of my post: people forget that just because people live in crowded conditions, this isn't necessarily overpopulation. It could also be that they willingly decided to develop a tiny section of their land. This is the case with japan, where 80% of the population lives in cities on the coast of Honshu. Japan isn't overpopulated, and the low birthrate won't fix anything.

Also, I'd like to see how you could possibly take 10,000,000 people that are working and tax them to oblivion to accommodate the 60,000,000 that are retired. It simply cannot be done. This is the situation they will face if this continues at the current rate.
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / New York
Offline
Posted 10/23/13 , edited 10/23/13

DezoPenguin wrote:

Hardly. An aging population is placing more drain on the system as individuals become less productive while requiring more medical care. Retirement gets put off longer and longer because individuals have no one other than themselves to provide support. This leaves jobs filled, so new workers can't get a head start on their own lives. And the overall number of jobs available declines because the shrinking population doesn't have the consumer base to support the industries. Things won't stabilize again until the last top-loaded generation dies off and an equilibrium is reached again.


A deliriously nonsensical description of the fate of a national workforce in a global market. If you were describing a closed market system, what you wrote might make sense, but Japan is a global player. It has the world's 3rd largest automobile manufacturing industry and the largest electronics goods industry on the planet. On top of that, Japan is the world's largest creditor nation, generally running an annual trade surplus and having a considerable net international investment surplus.

Your Hermit kingdom description is ridiculous. There's nothing isolated about Japan's economy. Go back to school.
9318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
103 / M / Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 10/23/13
looks like hentai is taking over
12139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Nutopia
Offline
Posted 10/23/13
isn't that a good thing given what the world is currently in? resources stretched to its limits in a lot of countries, overpopulation... the world could use a break from childbirth for a while.
42275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/23/13



Nobody wants to waste their time being a parent, when they have to prepare for tomorrows' meeting with their boss or wanna go partying with friends.

Is that whats' happening?

17179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/23/13
There is enough people in the world to fuck.
They'll figure something out
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.