First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Euthanasia
17225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/24/13
The act of killing someone who is very sick or injured in order to prevent any more suffering

I think there are two version of this? the kind where you are just "letting the person go" by pulling the plug, for example if the person was in coma. The second version is the act of actually being the source of the death by taking initiative to kill that person to end their suffering, kind of like with animal euthanasia.

If euthanasia is okay with animals than why not humans? and if it's not okay with humans, then why only animals?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can see why people would be against it but after looking at the case where a girl was born with no brain, I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed. People born with anencephaly have no brain, there is no cure for that. They have no feeling, emotions, or memories. They are not alive, they are empty shells and they are as good as dead. Keeping them on earth might even be considered an immoral thing to do since it would only be for the purpose of satisfying the people of the living, namely the parents. Isn't that also cruel? or not since they are not alive anyways so might as well?

if someone is going through so much suffering that they wish they would die, it should be allowed shouldn't it? re-opening thread
Posted 10/24/13
I've heard of cases where people have been in comas for years,then they suddenly wake up. Though it is rare, there is a possibility. I personally don't support euthanasia, but if it is the person's personal request well, it is their choice.
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 10/24/13
DNR = Do not resuscitate

Is that a form of passive self-euthanasia?
Posted 10/25/13
Religion and religious people are the main reasons why we can't have nice things. I don't care if I offend the Queen of England, it's the truth and it's my freedom of speech.


Just look at things like gay marriage, stem cell research and euthanasia, religious people gotta bring their nonsense into the discussion. I just don't get it, it's cool if they want to believe in what they believe, but why do they have to make others live their way of life? We're not all religious.

This is why I think, if we want to advance as a society, ban the practice of religions or keep it outside the influence of laws... it's ridiculous. I'm glad Switzerland is ahead of its time.


Euthanasia is a an act of merc
y; but it's too bad that religious people can't understand that concept.
Posted 10/25/13
After watching the film "Sublime" I took the decision of pulling the plug in any given situation and letting my family know that if I were to fall into a coma, they can pull the plug and end my and their suffering.

If I see that there is no other way out of such suffering I'd let myself be killed or do the killing. I don't see it as murdering but as an act of mercy, like the user above me said.
17901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/25/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:

Religion and religious people are the main reasons why we can't have nice things. I don't care if I offend the Queen of England, it's the truth and it's my freedom of speech.


Just look at things like gay marriage, stem cell research and euthanasia, religious people gotta bring their nonsense into the discussion. I just don't get it, it's cool if they want to believe in what they believe, but why do they have to make others live their way of life? We're not all religious.

This is why I think, if we want to advance as a society, ban the practice of religions or keep it outside the influence of laws... it's ridiculous. I'm glad Switzerland is ahead of its time.


Euthanasia is a an act of merc
y; but it's too bad that religious people can't understand that concept.

So you want state runned Euthanasia didn't the Nazis do that in the 30's when they Euthanasiad the handicap and mentely ill out of "Mercy"? No this should be out of the hands of both the goverment and church and should only be in line with the wishes of the person or family
Posted 10/25/13

uncletim wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

Religion and religious people are the main reasons why we can't have nice things. I don't care if I offend the Queen of England, it's the truth and it's my freedom of speech.


Just look at things like gay marriage, stem cell research and euthanasia, religious people gotta bring their nonsense into the discussion. I just don't get it, it's cool if they want to believe in what they believe, but why do they have to make others live their way of life? We're not all religious.

This is why I think, if we want to advance as a society, ban the practice of religions or keep it outside the influence of laws... it's ridiculous. I'm glad Switzerland is ahead of its time.


Euthanasia is a an act of merc
y; but it's too bad that religious people can't understand that concept.

So you want state runned Euthanasia didn't the Nazis do that in the 30's when they Euthanasiad the handicap and mentely ill out of "Mercy"? No this should be out of the hands of both the goverment and church and should only be in line with the wishes of the person or family


Not a good analogy.


Why? The Nazis killed anybody who they thought weren't part of the superior race/human being; this included disabled people, gays, and Jews.

That wasn't an act of euthanasia, and never will be, no matter how you want to twist the definition of Euthanasia.
17901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/25/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


uncletim wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

Religion and religious people are the main reasons why we can't have nice things. I don't care if I offend the Queen of England, it's the truth and it's my freedom of speech.


Just look at things like gay marriage, stem cell research and euthanasia, religious people gotta bring their nonsense into the discussion. I just don't get it, it's cool if they want to believe in what they believe, but why do they have to make others live their way of life? We're not all religious.

This is why I think, if we want to advance as a society, ban the practice of religions or keep it outside the influence of laws... it's ridiculous. I'm glad Switzerland is ahead of its time.


Euthanasia is a an act of merc
y; but it's too bad that religious people can't understand that concept.

So you want state runned Euthanasia didn't the Nazis do that in the 30's when they Euthanasiad the handicap and mentely ill out of "Mercy"? No this should be out of the hands of both the goverment and church and should only be in line with the wishes of the person or family


Not a good analogy.


Why? The Nazis killed anybody who they thought weren't part of the superior race/human being; this included disabled people, gays, and Jews.

That wasn't an act of euthanasia, and never will be, no matter how you want to twist the definition of Euthanasia.


yeah twist ok......Then let me ask you this where is the line? Who desides what is Euthanasia and what is suicide? How sick does someone have to be for it to be considered euthanasia? Is it when someone just doesn't consider their life worth living?
Posted 10/25/13 , edited 10/25/13

uncletim wrote:
yeah twist ok......Then let me ask you this where is the line? Who desides what is Euthanasia and what is suicide? How sick does someone have to be for it to be considered euthanasia? Is it when someone just doesn't consider their life worth living?


When the illness cannot be cured because there is no known medicine to help cure it or relieve the pain.

I mean things like diabetes or schizophrenia can be cured with modern medicine, but some cancers cannot be cured because it's advanced to other parts of the body.

This is when they should be put out of their misery, if the person requests it. If they want to live their last few months in pain, then it's up to them.

Euthanasia is about giving people with terminal illness options.
17901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/25/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


uncletim wrote:
yeah twist ok......Then let me ask you this where is the line? Who desides what is Euthanasia and what is suicide? How sick does someone have to be for it to be considered euthanasia? Is it when someone just doesn't consider their life worth living?


When the illness cannot be cured because there is no known medicine to help cure it or relieve the pain.

I mean things like diabetes or schizophrenia can be cured with modern medicine, but some cancers cannot be cured because it's advanced to other parts of the body.

This is when they should be put out of their misery, if the person requests it. If they want to live their last few months in pain, then it's up to them.

Euthanasia is about giving people with terminal illness options.


I agree with you But I think it should be the very last resort. I mean you found out you have cancer just don't go off and kill yourself have a little hope it's when everything else has failed and there is no hope what so ever that is when it becomes mercy. That should be desided by the person or their family and the doctor and no one else. I also think doctors should have very strict and clear guidelines on this.

Your right what the nazi's did was murder but they called it euthanasia and I think that is where some of the negative views come form
Posted 10/25/13
Your life should not be in someone's hands, I'd rather live in misery than let go.
Posted 10/25/13

uncletim wrote:
I agree with you But I think it should be the very last resort. I mean you found out you have cancer just don't go off and kill yourself have a little hope it's when everything else has failed and there is no hope what so ever that is when it becomes mercy. That should be desided by the person or their family and the doctor and no one else. I also think doctors should have very strict and clear guidelines on this.

Your right what the nazi's did was murder but they called it euthanasia and I think that is where some of the negative views come form


I agree, it should be the last resort, when everything else attempted has failed.


It shouldn't be used on a healthy person who just wants to suicide.
17225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/25/13

onibrotonel wrote:

DNR = Do not resuscitate

Is that a form of passive self-euthanasia?
It is euthanasia since youre not using any medical means to try and save the person, by definition: allowing to die, as by withholding extreme medical measures,
24325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / wherever my work...
Offline
Posted 10/26/13
If they're dead, that's it. There's no point in trying to keep them alive. Let the dead stay dead. If they're only alive because of a machine, and you don't want to pull the plug, that's just being selfish and wasting a chance to save another's life. You know, one who needs that room and will live.
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:

Religion and religious people are the main reasons why we can't have nice things. I don't care if I offend the Queen of England, it's the truth and it's my freedom of speech.


Just look at things like gay marriage, stem cell research and euthanasia, religious people gotta bring their nonsense into the discussion. I just don't get it, it's cool if they want to believe in what they believe, but why do they have to make others live their way of life? We're not all religious.

This is why I think, if we want to advance as a society, ban the practice of religions or keep it outside the influence of laws... it's ridiculous. I'm glad Switzerland is ahead of its time.


Euthanasia is a an act of merc
y; but it's too bad that religious people can't understand that concept.


That's a nice stereotype you got that. It'd be a shame if every religious person didn't adhere to it.

Wait, they don't. I've got nothing against gay marriage, stem cell research or euthanasia. The only condition I have against euthanasia is that there be virtually no possibility for survival. If you have a chance to survive, then you should take it.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.