First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Things that give anime fandom a bad name?
24251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 10/27/13

HauAreWe wrote:


MysticGon wrote:
This isn't an attack on anime or its fans.

Wasn't the topic supposed to be an attack on fans that give an "improper" interpretation?

"What are some things that make you hang your head in shame? Especially in clubs or at conventions."
"The people that.." "The person that" "The guy that" "The girl that"


You can call it whatever you want. I'm just glad the base is progressing and is more diverse now. If you think threads where people can express their opinions give the base a bad name then you should probably try to avoid them.
23932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

Shukuchi wrote:

I can't comprehend how people can shed out a ton of money on the tacky merchandise that comes with anime, specifically the figmas, why you would want to spend £100+ on some anime character with removable underwear is completely beyond me, also a reason to give the fandom as a whole a bad name.


...Well sorry.
51832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/27/13


Just reading the title made me cringe in disappointment. XD
22189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The North Pole Duh!
Offline
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 10/27/13

rikku456 wrote:



Just reading the title made me cringe in disappointment. XD


Just let them have their fun.

Also there's no. "He's mine bitch comment". Than I would be a bit dissapointed.
41848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 10/27/13
The loli angle, especially when used in conjunction with the older brother/little sister romantic situation. For example, it's really hard to defend the medium to someone with just enough passing familiarity to recognize Oreima: "Yeah, yeah, I read about that show. That's the one where the teenager's trying to screw his little sister, right? I'm not letting my kids watch that kinda crap! Why do you watch, anyway?"
11801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

moonhawk81 wrote:

The loli angle, especially when used in conjunction with the older brother/little sister romantic situation. For example, it's really hard to defend the medium to someone with just enough passing familiarity to recognize Oreima: "Yeah, yeah, I read about that show. That's the one where the teenager's trying to screw his little sister, right? I'm not letting my kids watch that kinda crap! Why do you watch, anyway?"


Gambling is very much a part of most sports. It's a billion dollar industry and causes all sorts of crime, hate and anything from divorce to suicide. What's a little bit of loli, incest or yaoi compared to that? Exploring a taboo is worse than anything i just stated? Someone already said there are far worse "fandoms" than anime's and i have to agree.

Highly sexualized? Usually.
Taboo? Sometimes more than others.
Freedom of expression? Definitely.

Causes emotional distress? Only if your significant other finds out .
55520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 10/27/13
dumbasses that act as if they are sophisticated and are a smartass.... o wait thats me.

well its more like people who act sophisticated talk to other people who aren't as immersed into the otaku culture as them as trash.

i mean i understand the idea of persuasion when your talking about why this is better than that. but because someone likes this, you throw em under the bridge.

i mean you can crap on an idea, but don't crap on the person with the idea. yea you can say asian are the ugliest person in the world and are x and x, and i'd give you a funny look or rant about it but thats all. i am not going to call you something provacative, i am just going to say asian are not x and x, and give it some base with examples at best if i want to reassure myself if i am right. more so than not i might give your credit and say, well i sorta agree, x doesn't look that great i can see where they are coming from.

anywho, i don't care much about racism and segregation, i acknowledge it and leave it at that.

and i know people are not going to take me seriously because of the enormous amount of grammar mistakes made in this post, but bash at the mistakes made and not the person who made it is all i have to say.
17869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

Shukuchi wrote:

I can't comprehend how people can shed out a ton of money on the tacky merchandise that comes with anime, specifically the figmas, why you would want to spend £100+ on some anime character with removable underwear is completely beyond me, also a reason to give the fandom as a whole a bad name.


why do people spend a ton of money on art? it's just a freaking painting

5101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/13
Honestly, this thread just made me hate humanity.


FumblesRX78 wrote:

All AMV's are terrible.
Regardless of what anime they are using.

It's the anime that makes amvs beautiful, not the songs or editing.

6109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

Koraji wrote:

Honestly, this thread just made me hate humanity.


FumblesRX78 wrote:

All AMV's are terrible.
Regardless of what anime they are using.

It's the anime that makes amvs beautiful, not the songs or editing.



Opinions
313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

FumblesRX78 wrote:

All AMV's are terrible.
Regardless of what anime they are using.


That's not true at all.
14182 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Dallas, Texas
Offline
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 10/27/13
I might the only person who thinks like this but to me I think it's fun to find another anime fan (singular) in RL. However, I would be worried to come into contact with fans (e.g. a convention). I guess I think like that because if you meet an individual fan you can have an interesting conversation but if they are of a group that gives anime a bad name (however you may wish to define that), you can subtly change the conversation, then never mention the subject again. If it's a large group, there is the good, the bad, and the "Is it even remotely legal to wear that in public!?".
313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

Ghostxi wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:

The loli angle, especially when used in conjunction with the older brother/little sister romantic situation. For example, it's really hard to defend the medium to someone with just enough passing familiarity to recognize Oreima: "Yeah, yeah, I read about that show. That's the one where the teenager's trying to screw his little sister, right? I'm not letting my kids watch that kinda crap! Why do you watch, anyway?"


Gambling is very much a part of most sports. It's a billion dollar industry and causes all sorts of crime, hate and anything from divorce to suicide. What's a little bit of loli, incest or yaoi compared to that? Exploring a taboo is worse than anything i just stated? Someone already said there are far worse "fandoms" than anime's and i have to agree.

Highly sexualized? Usually.
Taboo? Sometimes more than others.
Freedom of expression? Definitely.

Causes emotional distress? Only if your significant other finds out .


So the bad things caused by something completely unrelated to anime make it immune to criticism? What? Sports has nothing to do with whether or not it's okay to show CHILDREN in overly sexualized situations so that lonely basement-dwellers can fap to them. Loli is child pornography, and it's not okay. There's nothing wrong with yaoi, of course (other than the misrepresentation of homosexual relationships), and I'm not about to go into the social/cultural psychology and morality involved with incest. But these are important issues, and they should not be ignored or overlooked because there are other things that are worse. Yes, violence and hatred caused by sports is not okay, but saying that we should ignore one horrible thing because something else is more horrible is stupid. If we did that, then we would never get anything fixed. "Yeah, I guess it sucks to be unemployed, but there are people starving in Africa, so you should just shut up and accept it."
Banned
8748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Cambridge United...
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

Davidvauhn wrote:


Shukuchi wrote:

I can't comprehend how people can shed out a ton of money on the tacky merchandise that comes with anime, specifically the figmas, why you would want to spend £100+ on some anime character with removable underwear is completely beyond me, also a reason to give the fandom as a whole a bad name.


...Well sorry.


Hey spend your money on what you want it's just that I cannot comprehend spending copious amounts of money of tacky merchandise, If you want to spend ridiculous amounts on glorified pen holders and paperweights then go for it.
6109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

alpacapocalypse6 wrote:


FumblesRX78 wrote:

All AMV's are terrible.
Regardless of what anime they are using.


That's not true at all.


Like I said earlier, Opinions.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.