First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Things that give anime fandom a bad name?
17891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Online
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 3/7/15

Shukuchi wrote:

Okay then please tell me how a figma is worth the money some people pay, how they aren't mass produced pieces of tacky shit, and stop trying to bring in examples of modern art into this the discussion is about figmas, you're the one who had the audacity to categorize them as pieces of art in the first place, I merely said that I couldn't understand why people buy them when they are so expensive for what they are, You seriously think it's hard or takes any amount of creative flair to make a character bend over with their ass hanging out ?


15800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

RolexKid wrote:

two users flashed across my mind when i saw this thread



actually, they could be one of the same..

3614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 10/27/13
SAO
25488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Puerto Rico
Offline
Posted 10/27/13


.....I just posted there, then I noticed this....sorry guys, I'll make up for my insolence and damaging behavior towards the image of anime. *considers methods of self-punishment*
10204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / Yorknew City
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

MissChidorisan wrote:

People who are jerks and bullies tend to give any fandom a bad name.
People who buy those unlicensed body pillows depicting cosplayers.
People who wear socks with sandals.
People who have no sense of personal space.
People who like tasteless, horrible shows like Queen's Blade.


I understand why you think this, but Queens Blade is not that bad. Sure its ecchi but it's has its ok moments, and interesting female characters, its actually kinda feminist. (all the men are portrayed as weak) Its even got a little bit of plot at sometimes. I get why you dont like it but there are worse ecchi shows. *cough* Wanna be the strongest in the world *cough*
98153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Location
Offline
Posted 10/27/13
Critics...

AAAUUUUUGHH!!!
Banned
8748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Cambridge United...
Offline
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 10/27/13


So instead of actually describing the intricacies and the subtle art of owning these figmas you decide to conclude with "because people are dumb enough" ? Well I can't really argue with you there and $50 which is about £30 to me is still a ridiculous price for what is fundamentally an ornament but it's your money you are wasting not mine so all the more power to you xD
17891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Online
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 10/27/13

Shukuchi wrote:




So instead of actually describing the intricacies and the subtle art of owning these figmas you decide to conclude with "because people are dumb enough" ? Well I can't really argue with you there and $50 which is about £30 to me is still a ridiculous price for what is fundamentally an ornament but it's your money you are wasting not mine so all the more power to you xD




what would you say to a person paying oh lets say over 100k for a copy of a spiderman comic? Real collecters are going to pay for the art they love plain and simple just because yeah it's smutty but hell yje same can be said bout michael angelo's david some would say it just some guy standing around with his wanker hanging out and it's considered priceless
Banned
8748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Cambridge United...
Offline
Posted 10/27/13 , edited 10/27/13

uncletim wrote:


Shukuchi wrote:




So instead of actually describing the intricacies and the subtle art of owning these figmas you decide to conclude with "because people are dumb enough" ? Well I can't really argue with you there and $50 which is about £30 to me is still a ridiculous price for what is fundamentally an ornament but it's your money you are wasting not mine so all the more power to you xD




what would you say to a person paying oh lets say over 100k for a copy of a spiderman comic? Real collecters are going to pay for the art they love plain and simple just because yeah it's smutty but hell yje same can be said bout michael angelo's david some would say it just some guy standing around with his wanker hanging out and it's considered priceless


There's jarring differences here, a first edition can sell for ridiculous amounts not because of the content or the art but more because of the scarcity and rarity of that copy, the price comes with simple supply and demand, any type of goods will be more expensive the rarer they are. Nudity in art isn't always presented as smutty or sexual, it can often be interpreted as frailty or a form of physical perfection, David is not presented as sexual, if he was gripping a massive hard on then yes it would be sexual but it isn't, Figmas on the other hand are almost always are posed in a way that's sexual, like bent over, legs apart, kneeling etc, I know that sex sells but that isn't the case when it comes to Michelangelo's masterpieces.

Also wanker is a derogatory noun of someone who masturbates, not slang for penis
29767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

*reads through the thread*

One thing I wish to add: Fans treating each other more horribly than anybody outside the fandom ever would.


Well, familiarity breeds contempt. Or at least the confidence that the person you're being a twat to isn't going to beat you up.

That's true of almost any form of people-grouping, though, and it doesn't really give the fandom a bad name because non-fans don't know it happens. The main issue to outsiders is that they often think all anime is for kids (thus every adult who watches it is a man/woman-child), or they think it's mostly tentacle hentai.
GerryO 
19624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Tyler, Texas
Offline
Posted 10/27/13
]Figmas aren't really all that expense, and their not all moe garbage, i have 11 of them and their not overly sexualized and never have i had the urge to fap to them
19917 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/27/13
Person: So, what kind of shows do you like?
Me: I love anime.
Person: You mean, you watch that cartoons with tentacle rape and gangbangs and stuff?

This gets me every time. A lot of people around here don't even know what anime is. When they have heard of it, they usually group it in with the most perverted, nastiest, bareback, monster rape, hentai atrocities that I don't want to believe exist in this world.
69336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / South of sanity.
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

lilliputian_otaku wrote:

Person: So, what kind of shows do you like?
Me: I love anime.
Person: You mean, you watch that cartoons with tentacle rape and gangbangs and stuff?

This gets me every time. A lot of people around here don't even know what anime is. When they have heard of it, they usually group it in with the most perverted, nastiest, bareback, monster rape, hentai atrocities that I don't want to believe exist in this world.


The funny thing is when this has happened to me in the past, it was from these non-anime fans who had seen this nasty ass tentacle porn hentai whereas me being a fan of anime, had not, and did not recognize the name of said hentai that they mentioned and ridiculed. They're just closet pervs deflecting =P
Banned
8748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Cambridge United...
Offline
Posted 10/27/13

GerryO wrote:

]Figmas aren't really all that expense, and their not all moe garbage, i have 11 of them and their not overly sexualized and never have i had the urge to fap to them


Doesn't change the fact most are presented in a sexual way and it's not just for figmas either and no why would you ever want to fap over a figma ?, that's what a Dakimakura is for.
8021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 10/28/13
i once talked to this guy who said that he considers anime fans and bronies (adult my little pony fans) to basically be the same thing, and that they were equally bad. it made me feel like gouging my eyes out.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.