First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Who is the evilest character in fiction?
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / New York
Offline
Posted 11/2/13

MDAC92 wrote:


AshRandom
I think they're both fictional, but if you accept the premise of the story, God as the creator, and commander of all things great and small, would be directly responsible for all of Lucifer's deeds.


Free will bud, thats a pretty big aspect of the Christian, Islamic, and Jewish scriptures. So God being the evilest character in fiction ( assuming you are an atheist) because bad things happen under "his command" is false.


A common response that desperately seeks to overlook the millions of cases of extreme suffering of innocent people, where there were no human choices, or actions involved.

Take acts of nature for instance, like the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami which washed hundreds of thousands of people out to sea and drowned them. In many cases, innocent children were ripped from their devout parents arms and killed right in front of them. What act of free will lead to such horrors as that? If extreme natural events don't do it for you, then the mere presence of disease should as it easily calls into question the existence of a benevolent, loving, or merciful God. What benevolent overlord would stand arms folded while tens of millions of sick children die in agony every year. Who must bear the responsibility, if not God. What act of free will lead to their torturous deaths? Humanity cannot be blamed for everything, that's why the free will excuse is a hollow one.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 11/2/13



Ah okay.
Posted 11/2/13

AshRandom wrote:


MDAC92 wrote:


AshRandom
I think they're both fictional, but if you accept the premise of the story, God as the creator, and commander of all things great and small, would be directly responsible for all of Lucifer's deeds.


Free will bud, thats a pretty big aspect of the Christian, Islamic, and Jewish scriptures. So God being the evilest character in fiction ( assuming you are an atheist) because bad things happen under "his command" is false.


A common response that desperately seeks to overlook the millions of cases of extreme suffering of innocent people, where there were no human choices, or actions involved.

Take acts of nature for instance, like the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami which washed hundreds of thousands of people out to sea and drowned them. In many cases, innocent children were ripped from their devout parents arms and killed right in front of them. What act of free will lead to such horrors as that? If extreme natural events don't do it for you, then the mere presence of disease should as it easily calls into question the existence of a benevolent, loving, or merciful God. What benevolent overlord would stand arms folded while tens of millions of sick children die in agony every year. Who must bear the responsibility, if not God. What act of free will lead to their torturous deaths? Humanity cannot be blamed for everything, that's why the free will excuse is a hollow one.


If God is fictional, would that not make all things that happen in real not his fault? Wouldn't that make God powerless?
MDAC92 
16115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/13 , edited 11/2/13

AshRandom wrote:


MDAC92 wrote:


AshRandom
I think they're both fictional, but if you accept the premise of the story, God as the creator, and commander of all things great and small, would be directly responsible for all of Lucifer's deeds.


Free will bud, thats a pretty big aspect of the Christian, Islamic, and Jewish scriptures. So God being the evilest character in fiction ( assuming you are an atheist) because bad things happen under "his command" is false.


A common response that desperately seeks to overlook the millions of cases of extreme suffering of innocent people, where there were no human choices, or actions involved.

Take acts of nature for instance, like the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami which washed hundreds of thousands of people out to sea and drowned them. In many cases, innocent children were ripped from their devout parents arms and killed right in front of them. What act of free will lead to such horrors as that? If extreme natural events don't do it for you, then the mere presence of disease should as it easily calls into question the existence of a benevolent, loving, or merciful God. What benevolent overlord would stand arms folded while tens of millions of sick children die in agony every year. Who must bear the responsibility, if not God. What act of free will lead to their torturous deaths? Humanity cannot be blamed for everything, that's why the free will excuse is a hollow one.


Acts of nature. In scripture, while god would smite down the wicked for shits and giggles, he isn't the cause of every natural disaster. A lion attacking a man isn't believed by religious people to be an act of god, tsunamis neither, just the fact that the world is imperfect. Anyways, I don't really care to argue about religion.
Go back to r/atheism chief.


As for who I think is the most evil fictional character...
I'd say maybe Cthulhu.
toxxin 
43361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / In my own little...
Offline
Posted 11/2/13

l05t50ul wrote:

Insanely rich and powerful Corporations like The Umbrella Corporation


Agreed, they'll do anything to help their bottom line (maybe even burn down an orphanage and how can you say that isn't evil).
17380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 11/2/13

AshRandom wrote:


MDAC92 wrote:


AshRandom
I think they're both fictional, but if you accept the premise of the story, God as the creator, and commander of all things great and small, would be directly responsible for all of Lucifer's deeds.


Free will bud, thats a pretty big aspect of the Christian, Islamic, and Jewish scriptures. So God being the evilest character in fiction ( assuming you are an atheist) because bad things happen under "his command" is false.


A common response that desperately seeks to overlook the millions of cases of extreme suffering of innocent people, where there were no human choices, or actions involved.

Take acts of nature for instance, like the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami which washed hundreds of thousands of people out to sea and drowned them. In many cases, innocent children were ripped from their devout parents arms and killed right in front of them. What act of free will lead to such horrors as that? If extreme natural events don't do it for you, then the mere presence of disease should as it easily calls into question the existence of a benevolent, loving, or merciful God. What benevolent overlord would stand arms folded while tens of millions of sick children die in agony every year. Who must bear the responsibility, if not God. What act of free will lead to their torturous deaths? Humanity cannot be blamed for everything, that's why the free will excuse is a hollow one.


Well, if it makes you feel better, after the children are brutally murdered and go to heaven, they experience bliss for eternity. A mere hundred years of misery is nothing compared to a blissful eternity. (Assuming heaven)

God given free will allowed people to choose paradise or disobedience. Eve chose disobedience, as did Adam. God then punished them, and all of their descendents. He also ripped the limbs off snakes. That act of free will lead to everyone's deaths.

There's a bunch of ways of making everything work. You pick and choose your philosophy. Maybe God is taking a lunch break.
Maybe God isn't merciful. Maybe God is trying to teach people something. Maybe death pain and suffering aren't evil. So long as your philosophies don't cause you to do things that are criminal, what's the harm?
Posted 11/2/13

Nobodyofimportance wrote:

Well, if it makes you feel better, after the children are brutally murdered and go to heaven, they experience bliss for eternity. A mere hundred years of misery is nothing compared to a blissful eternity. (Assuming heaven)

God given free will allowed people to choose paradise or disobedience. Eve chose disobedience, as did Adam. God then punished them, and all of their descendents. He also ripped the limbs off snakes. That act of free will lead to everyone's deaths.

There's a bunch of ways of making everything work. You pick and choose your philosophy. Maybe God is taking a lunch break.
Maybe God isn't merciful. Maybe God is trying to teach people something. Maybe death pain and suffering aren't evil. So long as your philosophies don't cause you to do things that are criminal, what's the harm?


hear, hear!

Sugar, spice and everything nice. Do we exist? Of course we do. What a beautiful stew we live in. Maybe even nature is gonna get it.
4485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Virginia, USA
Offline
Posted 11/2/13
The Joker
Hannibal Lecter
Johan Liebert
20295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 11/2/13
i can only think of johan liebert ...
29162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / The Sarlacc Pit
Online
Posted 11/2/13

-tion wrote:

Lord Loss was a badass evil character. Gotta respect God and Satan too, they seem to appear everywhere.


M1keymike1 wrote:

Cthulhu, because I feel unimaginative right now.




Other than that, basically any religious deity (if you so choose to view those as 'fictional') is pretty terrible.


lol, Nice picture


Thanks. I googled it myself
Posted 11/2/13

M1keymike1 wrote:

Thanks. I googled it myself


..you're welcome Sir
632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 11/2/13
The main villain in Speed Grapher
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / New York
Offline
Posted 11/3/13

Nobodyofimportance wrote:


Well, if it makes you feel better, after the children are brutally murdered and go to heaven, they experience bliss for eternity. A mere hundred years of misery is nothing compared to a blissful eternity. (Assuming heaven)

God given free will allowed people to choose paradise or disobedience. Eve chose disobedience, as did Adam. God then punished them, and all of their descendents. He also ripped the limbs off snakes. That act of free will lead to everyone's deaths.

There's a bunch of ways of making everything work. You pick and choose your philosophy. Maybe God is taking a lunch break.
Maybe God isn't merciful. Maybe God is trying to teach people something. Maybe death pain and suffering aren't evil. So long as your philosophies don't cause you to do things that are criminal, what's the harm?


Yes, of course, as you say they go to heaven, unless they weren't baptized. Or, as happens in the majority of cases, they aren't born to christian parents and end up in any one of thousands of different religions practiced on earth at this very moment. Let's face it, there's no way to justify such claims. Religions aren't philosophical, they're dogmatic, and are without exception concocted out of a ridiculous series of nonsensical, contradictory claims. The one you're evincing, was made by ancient people for whom a wheelbarrow was seen as emergent technology.

As for the harm. Well, beliefs have consequences. Just read a newspaper, hardly a day goes by where some religiously addled individual hasn't committed some despicable crime in the name of their chosen faith. There's a lot of pain, misery and undue suffering of innocent people going on and no reason at all for it to stop. Well, aside from the fact that it's all a bunch of fictional nonsense that people should just forget about.
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / New York
Offline
Posted 11/3/13

-tion wrote:


If God is fictional, would that not make all things that happen in real not his fault? Wouldn't that make God powerless?


Well, that would nice :)

But, a narrative has power. People are suckers for a good story.

Anyway, the debate is just a thought experiment which can be played out logically under the presumption of its claims being true. Which is kind of what's funny about it, even if you assume it's true, you can't be convinced by it because it's so utterly rife with contradictions. That's why when religious people run into the topic of theodicy (the problem of evil) they tend to end up extremely discouraged. There's just no good way to counter it.
17380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 11/3/13


Long, but I edited a bit, so it should flow smoothly, hopefully it's a nice read.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.