First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Do Religions which preach peace fuel more wars than they prevent?
Posted 1/27/08
yeah, it happens when one entity is singularly led by a corrupted and power hungry leader(s)..............its how empires are set up are they not? so yeah since christianity isnt involved with secular affairs anymore (holy armies, controlling governments and inquisitions and what have you) i think its gotten rather peaceful..... now, islam is still in a state where they actively mix secular and religious affairs in many of its practitioners, but as with other large organizations and social congregations of people, it will eventually die down in popularity or collapse under its own weight, although if not for the extremists and recruiters (in any religion) i think it would be a nice inclusion to modern society, because of the added culture and diversity. so yeah, Judaism is dwindling, christianity and islam are pretty alike (in terms of # of practitioners and certain beliefs, with the former reaching something closer to logistic growth while the latter is still in a state of exponential growth) buddhism is fine and dandy but i think the seclusion from the world is not gonna work out for alot of people, even though it would prevent alot of wars, it would stagnate developments in entertainment and technology. uhhhh i dont really know anything about hinduism............ anyways yeah, its not really the religion but the extremists, leaders, and the idea that you cant be wrong that causes these "faith" related wars >_>
Posted 1/28/08

mikejacobs wrote:

I believe religion has no more use in our era for in the past, they have been used by politicians and whatnot to inspire the citizens and make them believe that what they are doing is right (Crusades, jihad etc, the popes vendetta) and give people hope to go through tough ordeals that was faced in the past however that is not needed anymore for the main factor that brings us close together is not religion anymore but something else, so thats why you don't see George Bush saying that god is on his side ^^ (actually I dunno, prove me wrong)

I remember a quote from some pope talking about European "dangerous individualism" but meh


Well as I'm an atheist I always thought religions had no more use until I thought about this topic. The religions all provide a sense of stability to the world simply because of their nature as internationally supported establishments. Essentially two Christian countries are less likely to fight each other than say a Muslim country and a Christian country. If the Religions weren't here there would suddenly be a huge void, and the religious beliefs and ties of friendship could suddenly be lost and it could lead to chaos and huge wars as various things try to fill the gap left by these ancient organisations.
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
Some have already said it, but other reasons come up when religion is absent. What we should be wary of is certainty in any of the systems we create or accept. You say that a man brought up to believe in peace under Christ would be less inclined to fight than an atheist, but I say that a man who accepts an absolute ideal without recognition of exceptions is far more dangerous than one who accepts none (any given atheist may have other ideals, certainly, but you didn't specify any other traits of the atheist you mention, so all we know about him is that he doesn't believe in God).

As for religion preventing anarchy, I would strongly disagree. I realize that its powers are simultaneously subtle and great, but law systems actually punish people in this world for getting out of line. People would still be guided by the basic pleasure/pain principle. Furthermore, anarchy would lead right back to structure, since people would group together for survival.
348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / United Arab Emirates
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
Yes they do. When they include fighting in the name of the religion they do. That includes Christianity, islam, and judism. (I am a musilim btw). However, do not misunderstand me. People who incite war in the name of religion usually twist the preaches of said religion to suit their call to war. That being said, it DOES mean that in a way, religion does cause war, because of ill intentioned people.
6480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Intelligence Route
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
I dont second some of your opinions, we dont actually realize what makes a war.
There is actually no war in this world, but they were demanded to do so.
I'm not a Christian, thus I don't know why they did war. There is history where Christian fighting the Muslim in the name of God.
Every war I learn is for God. Everything they did is for God. It just depended on how and to who they fought.
In Islam as I learn, they did some steps before war. First, they asked their opponent whether they wanted to accept their religion or obey Islamic law, so no fight and chaos will occur. They did a diplomatic way, but many opponents of them refused to co-operate so there is nothing to do except, WAR.
But, in history, they fought and warred between the soldiers ONLY. They didn't relate publics. Even they ensure those publics, kids, women, priests, trees, and natural beings were not being killed, damaged and destroyed. That is how some religions warred.

However, the mean today is different. They said they do it for God, but they don't consider other's life.
Religion before wasn't like this. It's harmonious than what we think.
So my conclusion is, as the time passes by, many menkind forget their own religion.
And, religion has to do nothing with why soldiers nowadays kill publics.
We should ask them whether they understand their religion concept or not.
604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
i think this a very good point to prove that they ignore pride as a sin. they use it as a motivator because it makes them rich. most religions are generally tools to control. spanish inquisition. templars. etc. all so they could make the masses do what they dont want to. they cant take the easy way out because they're told if they kill themselves they go to hell. go against the church and you'll die in a way to make the message for all clear. if someone out there is a threat or think they have something worth taking they fill the masses with pride of their cause and hatred for your enemy. yours but not theirs. brainwashing is a sad thing.
welook 
17501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / havent u noticed...
Offline
Posted 1/28/08

xidiya wrote:

religion doesn't cause war. people do.


and people made religion that fueled the thought and action of war
Posted 1/28/08
Well, basically it's not the religion that is the problem. It's more it's leaders that are always putting the politics in it, and are misusing the religious quotes and verses for their political matters....With religion in the foreground you will always be easily able to convince the people to follow your ways...that's how it goes, it's quite a smart tactic..since religion can be easily used to controlling people's mind..So basically yes, religion is somehow fueling wars.

Flo~
Posted 1/29/08

welook wrote:


xidiya wrote:

religion doesn't cause war. people do.


and people made religion that fueled the thought and action of war


yep. that's why i said it isn't religion. after all, it's we humans who create the doctrines we follow. if there is anything wrong with any religion, we're ultimately to blame.
1473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 1/29/08
i think it depends on the person who listens to the preach about peace... i mean, preaching can help people to change their views about many things but still it depends on the person if he/she can use that preachings to change his/her life... it really depends on the person... if he loves war, we can't change that...
714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Somewhere
Offline
Posted 1/29/08
religions are considered to be good cause patients might have to depend on it to strengthen their will to combat their illness. at the same time, ppl use religions to incite hatred and wars. religion does not cause wars to occur neither does it create peace. it is entirely up to human beings who ultimately decide if they want war, revenge or peace that they turn to religion to garner support in attempt to achieve their objective

religions merely consist of different kind of thoughts. i see it as a tool for humans to use for create peace or chaos. i totally agree with some of u that religion is not the reason why wars are started. its entirely up to human beings to decide if they want wars to occur or to have peace
5463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 1/29/08

Stickmania wrote:

Right now pretty much everyone knows that religions like Christianity often have quotes in their holy texts like 'love thy neighbour' and 'thou shall not kill' etc etc. Clearly these teachings suggest peace and goodwill and you would think that Chirstians everywhere would strive to prevent wars and fighting at all costs.

But Religions always seem to be deeply involved in war. History is filled with religious wars such as the crusades etc all fought in a peace loving God's name. Indeed even today many soldiers would claim to be religious, wear a crucifix, pray 3 times a day and yet they would go against the very foundations of their peaceful religion by killing another man without even a second thought. Perhaps more sickening is the fact that so many soldiers claim that 'God is with them' and almost helping them to kill even though they are commiting sins of a huge magnitude. There are even soldiers who rely on their beliefs so that they can risk their lives: "if I die, I go to heaven" Without that reassurance many soldiers would be unwilling to risk their lives on the battlefield, and consequently would not fight at all. Surely therefore religious beliefs help to fuel wars that aren't even of a religious nature? Imagine for a second that no religion existed. Instantly the more obvious and openly religious wars would vanish (they still exist today remember). Perhaps even the soldiers would be less willing to fight without God's support in all other wars too. Perhaps without the peaceful teachings of Christ there would actually be less bloodshed in the world.

However, just how many wars do religions prevent? Indeed a man brought up to believe in peace under Christ would surely be less inclined to fight than an atheist. Another thing which must be considered is what would actually happen if religions were to disappear? What would replace it in society? Indeed do the religions which over time have grown into their positions of power and influence actually prevent a certain amount of anarchy? As you can see this can be argued either way.

I have used Christians as an example but this thread is about ALL religions. I'm pretty sure this is not a duplicate, but if I just missed it in my search then feel free to lock this one.

What do you think? Are Religions the black oil that fuels the flames of war or the pure water that douses the fire?



The White Devil would have been killing themselves more if Christianity did not calm them down.
198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/29/08

the fact is, there are people who follow the 'love thy neighbor' philosophy, and much like a lot of things, you cant let the ones who don't exactly follow it speak for all believers
Posted 1/29/08
i think that if religion didnt exist the world would be more dangerous,because a lot of people would go out of control and wont care about repentance or hell or even god they wont follow rule from the bible ,quran ect and kill poeple because they believe they wont be punished..and if they dont follow god's rule i think it's impossible for them to follow the goverments rule!
Posted 1/29/08
bull.

Do you see atheists going around and burning things down? No. It's mostly religion extremists that do those things.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.