Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Name an anime that without fanservice no one would watch
2978 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/1/13 , edited 11/1/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

I've kept my definition of fan service for purposes of this thread limited to up the skirt shorts, butt shots, frontal nudity, physics defying breasts and other attempts at being risque or titillating. As I assume this is the kind of fanservice meant by the OP. The OP is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactly.




There is no such thing as fan service according to your definition. Nor fluffykun's.

I was simply clearing myself because apparently you misunderstood me but now that you agree with me we shouldn't have any problems.
67647 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 11/1/13

fluffykun011 wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

I've kept my definition of fan service for purposes of this thread limited to up the skirt shorts, butt shots, frontal nudity, physics defying breasts and other attempts at being risque or titillating. As I assume this is the kind of fanservice meant by the OP. The OP is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactly.


By which definition BTW. I find it boggling that AoT is even considered. Sure it's not all that its rabid fans rage about (though honestly I've encountered more rabid haters than fans) But I really don't see it's relevance here except as an excuse to pile on illogical hate.
8202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / In
Offline
Posted 11/1/13
A lot of people on CR forget who these anime are targeted at......here is a hint it's not us. It's targeted at Japanese males mostly 13 to 21 and if you were to ask a male between 13 and 21 do you want fanservice they mostly will say yes and since that is the target group for most anime production studios not all but most so yeah fanservice is going no where if anything it will get worst or better depending on your point of view becuase....SEX SELLS simple as that
16662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/1/13 , edited 11/1/13

Shiroyamachi wrote:

You didn't even bother reading that did ya? Let me help you. "In general, fan service refers to scenes designed to excite or titillate the viewer. This can include scantily-clad outfits, cleavage shots, panty shots, nude scenes (shower scenes especially), etc." then there are broader definitions too, but you seem to be too mad about something to able to read it.


You didn't even bother to read Homer did you? His writings are within everything you see today. They are the backbone. Nudity, scandals, war, sex, and everything else.
So go ahead and call the greatest writer to ever live appealing to fan service. You're going to sound pretty stupid.
I don't think you understand business either. If the majority of the networks viewers want this sort of stuff and it will bring in money, then YES! of course they are going to make it! No one makes you watch it.
What about the female base that still enjoys the same exact animes and they don't mind the "fan service"? Or are they just as perverse when there is an anime that is created for the female fan base? YES THEY ARE!

You clearly don't understand that writers will write what they want to, but they won't sell anything worth a damn if they don't appeal to their audience.

Enough said. I'm tired of arguing with arrogant people today.


uncletim wrote:

A lot of people on CR forget who these anime are targeted at......here is a hint it's not us. It's targeted at Japanese males mostly 13 to 21 and if you were to ask a male between 13 and 21 do you want fanservice they mostly will say yes and since that is the target group for most anime production studios not all but most so yeah fanservice is going no where if anything it will get worst or better depending on your point of view becuase....SEX SELLS simple as that


YES!


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

By which definition BTW. I find it boggling that AoT is even considered. Sure it's not all that its rabid fans rage about (though honestly I've encountered more rabid haters than fans) But I really don't see it's relevance here except as an excuse to pile on illogical hate.


AOT isn't even being discussed.
67647 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 11/1/13 , edited 11/1/13

schnipdip wrote:


AOT isn't even being discussed.


Really now?

schnipdip wrote:


eightcar wrote:

Basically what is an anime that if the fanservice was completely removed would no one ever bother watching (excluding hentai titles please...that would be too easy)

My nomination for this would be:

High School of the Dead (aka Fanservice of the dead)

Let's see what everyone else has got for this!


Attack On Titan. because...... it's just not that good. I only watch it because it's a "need to know" sort of thing like Naruto. Except Naruto is boss. AOT is predictable, boring, repetitive, and it just takes way to long for them to get to the point. like, "YES! Your fellow classmate is a titan too! Grow a pair and kill her already!"


To which I repeat where is the fan service that could be removed?

Edit:

Actually don't bother I just noticed that you wrote both posts. If you could have wrote the top one after writing the lower one. Either your memory or your honesty are too deficient to be worth the argument. have a nice life.


2978 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/1/13

schnipdip wrote:
AOT isn't even being discussed.



schnipdip wrote:
Attack On Titan. because...... it's just not that good. I only watch it because it's a "need to know" sort of thing like Naruto. Except Naruto is boss. AOT is predictable, boring, repetitive, and it just takes way to long for them to get to the point. like, "YES! Your fellow classmate is a titan too! Grow a pair and kill her already!"


We STILL want to know.
2053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 11/1/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

I've kept my definition of fan service for purposes of this thread limited to up the skirt shorts, butt shots, frontal nudity, physics defying breasts and other attempts at being risque or titillating. As I assume this is the kind of fanservice meant by the OP. The OP is free to correct me if I'm wrong.


You are 100% CORRECT!
2978 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/1/13 , edited 11/1/13

schnipdip wrote:
Dude, that was a while ago. Now let the grown ups talk.



Now let the grown ups

You just said that to a 46 year old woman.
How do you feel.

Also we asked you directly after your statement, kind of rude m8.
16662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/1/13 , edited 11/1/13

fluffykun011 wrote:

We STILL want to know.


well, if you are going to solely base fan service just on sexual content, then your reasoning is false.
Another one would be violence (blood, gore). Which AOT has plenty of.

In general, fan service refers to scenes designed to excite or titillate the viewer. This can include scantily-clad outfits, cleavage shots, panty shots, nude scenes (shower scenes especially), etc. Some broader definitions also include things like cool mecha, big explosions, battle scenes, etc. Basically, if it has little plot-redeaming value, but makes the viewer sit up and take notice, it's probably fan service in one form or another.

Then basically every single anime, book, movie, and tv show falls under "fan service". Is that a problem? No, because it's what I want to watch.

[mod edit: There is no reason to be snide and rude. The discussion is over the moment you decide to insult the others.]

Please do not reply to this post.
~ahtl
67647 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 11/1/13

eightcar wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

I've kept my definition of fan service for purposes of this thread limited to up the skirt shorts, butt shots, frontal nudity, physics defying breasts and other attempts at being risque or titillating. As I assume this is the kind of fanservice meant by the OP. The OP is free to correct me if I'm wrong.


You are 100% CORRECT!


Thank you.

For me it would be Queen's blade. I forced myself to watch quite a bit of it in hopes there would be some semblance of plot or character or soemthing. Nope. Without the excessive Fanservice I fail to see any 'redeeming' qualities in that show. (Redeeming for someone other than me that is)

Despite my fond memories of the show, Agent Aika would be another. Without girls in short skirts doing karate kicks and taking strange pratfalls (oh and the 'I'm a drunk on the floor' camera angles) it would be a rule 63 remake of 'Moonraker' (Without Jaws) I liked it for it's useless sidekicks and cheezey dialog. and the sheer ludicrous numbers of white panty shots. But I've found sequals and similar shows (najica blitz tactics)... underwhelming

Rosario + Vampire was mentioned. but I found it quite fun even with the annoying censor bat. It wasn't the Manga I understand but it was an okay rom com.

strangely enough there's only few shows that I've bothered to watch that fit the criteria. There's a number that would be improved with the fan service toned down. another one or two that could have probably gotten away with a bit of fan service that didn't even try (Noir, Shikibane Hime)

For me... it's what kind of 'fanservice' and how it's played relative to the show.

Tell me. Does catching a glimpse of a 14 year old's bloomers in Kiki's delivery service count as fans service? I hope not. The fans served by that would make me cringe.




8202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / In
Offline
Posted 11/1/13 , edited 11/1/13
Sailor Moon was loaded with fanservice but no one bitched about it hell it even aired the fanservice in the usa and it was aimed at little girls go figure
2978 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/1/13
Thank you janitor i can see my face in this nice and clean thread.
2053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 11/1/13

uncletim wrote:

Sailor Moon was loaded with fanservice but no one bitched about it hell it even aired the fanservice in the usa and it was aimed at little girls go figure


Sailor Moon?!!! Was is that?

Seriously I have made it a point to NEVER watch a single episode. Closet I've seen is the Robot Chicken parody

8202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / In
Offline
Posted 11/1/13

eightcar wrote:


uncletim wrote:

Sailor Moon was loaded with fanservice but no one bitched about it hell it even aired the fanservice in the usa and it was aimed at little girls go figure


Sailor Moon?!!! Was is that?

Seriously I have made it a point to NEVER watch a single episode. Closet I've seen is the Robot Chicken parody



if you can find the japanese version of it watch it. It's freaking dark as hell

mert92 
9117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/13

qualeshia3 wrote:



True. From the table scene to Kallen showering in the waterfalls only to have Suzaku pin her down afterwards.
Good times.

Oh yeah, the table scene. I think I did my best to forget that ever happened... she was hands down my least favourite character on the show. Nevermind. I guess just have a different perception of what qualifies as fanservice to most... I don't really have an issue with nudity or sex as long as there's some sort of context, it's just when it's thrown in so randomly smack bang into the middle of an otherwise significant scene. Season one had scenes where those things might have been present, but it wasn't usually illogical or obvious. Kallen taking a shower and bathing in the waterfall were fine by me, while giving us arse shots of C.C from below in the middle of a Knightmare fight during season two bothered me. It's the difference between Game of Thrones and Spartacus.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.