First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
If you could save your life..?
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13
If you could save your life today but at the cost of another's person life would you do it? BUT WAIT! That is easy to answer for many people but what if you could save your life at the risk of another persons life in the future who you will never know? Would you save your life sacrificing another's who you will never meet?
Don't think ive ever seen this but if by any chance it is a duplicate feel free to tell me.
4375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 11/14/13 , edited 11/14/13
Well I suppose this could be in the vein with the thread asking about which button you'd push, the one that let's you go but kills someone else or you kill yourself to save this other person. Of course they're in another identical room facing the same choice if I remember right.

Anyvey...

Personally I don't think I'm selfless enough to worry about someone who isn't even on this plane of existence yet. After all every single one of us is going to die at some point, that's the curse of living, so when it's something that's inevitable does it really matter if I choose to continue my existence by condemning a future possibility? They'd die one way or the other whether I choose to save myself or sacrifice myself. How is it decided who will be killed in the future? I'm interested. Also when are they killed in the future? Like how many life experiences are they allowed before the chopping block for my own survival?

However to be that guy, let's take the idea of Schrodinger's Cat into this hypothetical. Say I choose to save myself on this plane of existence. On another plane my "other" self would choose to sacrifice themself for this other person. Therefore regardless of my own personal choice this future person will still live on some plane of existence. (If I misused Schrodinger's Cat in place of a different theory I'd like to be corrected on it)
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13

ZenZaku wrote:

Well I suppose this could be in the vein with the thread asking about which button you'd push, the one that let's you go but kills someone else or you kill yourself to save this other person. Of course they're in another identical room facing the same choice if I remember right.

Anyvey...

Personally I don't think I'm selfless enough to worry about someone who isn't even on this plane of existence yet. After all every single one of us is going to die at some point, that's the curse of living, so when it's something that's inevitable does it really matter if I choose to continue my existence by condemning a future possibility? They'd die one way or the other whether I choose to save myself or sacrifice myself. How is it decided who will be killed in the future? I'm interested. Also when are they killed in the future? Like how many life experiences are they allowed before the chopping block for my own survival?

However to be that guy, let's take the idea of Schrodinger's Cat into this hypothetical. Say I choose to save myself on this plane of existence. On another plane my "other" self would choose to sacrifice themself for this other person. Therefore regardless of my own personal choice this future person will still live on some plane of existence. (If I misused Schrodinger's Cat in place of a different theory I'd like to be corrected on it)


Well mate quantum mechanics aside (cause the uncertainty principle is a bunch of bs anyway) i suppose i should expand on the question on hand. If you choose to kill that person because that is what you would basically be doing he would die when he was at your age. so for example you are 21 so he would die the day he turns 21. would you kill him? And BTW different planes of existence aka alternate realities is just a lie mate with no logic... or the little that it has it will never be proved.
4375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 11/14/13

Gotenz wrote:


ZenZaku wrote:

Well I suppose this could be in the vein with the thread asking about which button you'd push, the one that let's you go but kills someone else or you kill yourself to save this other person. Of course they're in another identical room facing the same choice if I remember right.

Anyvey...

Personally I don't think I'm selfless enough to worry about someone who isn't even on this plane of existence yet. After all every single one of us is going to die at some point, that's the curse of living, so when it's something that's inevitable does it really matter if I choose to continue my existence by condemning a future possibility? They'd die one way or the other whether I choose to save myself or sacrifice myself. How is it decided who will be killed in the future? I'm interested. Also when are they killed in the future? Like how many life experiences are they allowed before the chopping block for my own survival?

However to be that guy, let's take the idea of Schrodinger's Cat into this hypothetical. Say I choose to save myself on this plane of existence. On another plane my "other" self would choose to sacrifice themself for this other person. Therefore regardless of my own personal choice this future person will still live on some plane of existence. (If I misused Schrodinger's Cat in place of a different theory I'd like to be corrected on it)


Well mate quantum mechanics aside (cause the uncertainty principle is a bunch of bs anyway) i suppose i should expand on the question on hand. If you choose to kill that person because that is what you would basically be doing he would die when he was at your age. so for example you are 21 so he would die the day he turns 21. would you kill him? And BTW different planes of existence aka alternate realities is just a lie mate with no logic... or the little that it has it will never be proved.


I have founded a new religion, bow down to my ideals or I shall destroy you!



Thanks for fleshing that out a bit. So my decision will kill some random 21 year old at some point in the future that I have absolutely no ties to, either now or in the future. Would still probably choose personal survival due to instincts.
28635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Seattle, WA, USA
Online
Posted 11/14/13 , edited 11/14/13
Yes, I would, and I'm not ashamed of it. You have to look out for yourself in this world, especially when it comes to life and death lol. As humans, we are selfish creatures, and I think a lot of people would say no, but when faced with that situation, the answer would change to yes.

I am a good person, I volunteer, I help people all the time. I am very courteous, etc. But when it comes to life and death, It's different. I wouldn't want to give my heart right now to someone else I don't know, so I could die and they could live. It's kind of the same thing I guess.
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13

Glorianos wrote:

Yes, I would, and I'm not ashamed of it. You have to look out for yourself in this world, especially when it comes to life and death lol. As humans, we are selfish creatures, and I think a lot of people would say no, but when faced with that situation, the answer would change to yes.

I am a good person, I volunteer, I help people all the time. I am very courteous, etc. But when it comes to life and death, It's different. I wouldn't want to give my heart right now to someone else I don't know, so I could die and they could live. It's kind of the same thing I guess.


I see your point. However let us now look at what many people consider the greatest sacrifice which i suppose this question is partly inspired by. If we take a look at the character Jesus who did exactly the opposite of what you say you would do we see that even though you say you are a good person you are not willing to do what he did and die for all the UNGRATEFUL people. SO in reality are you a good person? The example of jesus is meant to show you what many consider ultimate morality.
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13


Thanks for fleshing that out a bit. So my decision will kill some random 21 year old at some point in the future that I have absolutely no ties to, either now or in the future. Would still probably choose personal survival due to instincts.

Ha i laugh at people who tie us down to instincts. What do you think seperates us from animals if we were tied down by instincts do you think we would have the right to call ourselfs intelligent? Why do you think heros exist? is it not because they go against instincts? Like i asked in another of my topics "Why do humans feel they can justify death?"
4375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 11/14/13



Because despite our sentience and our high society we are all animals at the end of the day. That is how I can say that, especially when it comes down to your personal survival, instinct plays a major part in our mental processes. We can overcome our instincts to a degree due to the fact that we are self aware, however we can't entirely get away from them.
Who is a hero? Is it the EMT/Medic coming to help you or your loved one? The Firefighter who battles the raging inferno? The Police officer trying to keep the law of the land intact? Or the Soldier who is there to defend the nation against foreign aggression? So how do you define "Hero," is it the selfless sacrifice of your own life for the betterment of a cause or the protection of family? Is it championing something worthy of being fought for or is it simply doing good kind deeds for others when they are in need?

Also what do you mean by Justify Death? Do you mean Death in the sense of taking a life whether by suicide or homicide or just the fact that living things die? I don't recall seeing that thread off hand.
28635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Seattle, WA, USA
Online
Posted 11/14/13

Gotenz wrote:


Glorianos wrote:

Yes, I would, and I'm not ashamed of it. You have to look out for yourself in this world, especially when it comes to life and death lol. As humans, we are selfish creatures, and I think a lot of people would say no, but when faced with that situation, the answer would change to yes.

I am a good person, I volunteer, I help people all the time. I am very courteous, etc. But when it comes to life and death, It's different. I wouldn't want to give my heart right now to someone else I don't know, so I could die and they could live. It's kind of the same thing I guess.


I see your point. However let us now look at what many people consider the greatest sacrifice which i suppose this question is partly inspired by. If we take a look at the character Jesus who did exactly the opposite of what you say you would do we see that even though you say you are a good person you are not willing to do what he did and die for all the UNGRATEFUL people. SO in reality are you a good person? The example of jesus is meant to show you what many consider ultimate morality.


I am not religious btw, but yeah, I'd still consider myself a good person. I don't even know what the person who I would be affecting is like. For all I know they could have spent their whole life bullying people or something. It isn't like donating some of your blood or anything like that, we're talking about your entire being, and that isn't something I'm going to just give away. It would be different if I was saving a whole community or country etc.
Posted 11/14/13
Short answer - no, I guess

Long answer

I don't know how I would really respond in that situation. There's no telling how I would react if my life depended on it. However, I can answer according to my morals and say "no."

The reason is actually hard to explain, but it has a great deal to do with your phrasing. The phrasing is actually very important. I'm not stopping my death, but rather "saving my life" - which leads me to believe that i'm dying by natural, ordinary means. However, i'm saving my life "at the cost of another person's life" - which leads me to believe that I am basically contriving someone's death. I probably didn't explain it very well, but those subtle nuances are important, and make the idea of saying "yes" a violation of my personal moral code. It really doesn't matter if the person is from the past, present, or future, the time doesn't really change anything for me.

But, as I said, I honestly don't know how I would react in that situation. In a life or death scenario, I may very well throw morality out the window and save my own skin at the cost of someone else's life
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13
[



Because despite our sentience and our high society we are all animals at the end of the day. That is how I can say that, especially when it comes down to your personal survival, instinct plays a major part in our mental processes. We can overcome our instincts to a degree due to the fact that we are self aware, however we can't entirely get away from them.
Who is a hero? Is it the EMT/Medic coming to help you or your loved one? The Firefighter who battles the raging inferno? The Police officer trying to keep the law of the land intact? Or the Soldier who is there to defend the nation against foreign aggression? So how do you define "Hero," is it the selfless sacrifice of your own life for the betterment of a cause or the protection of family? Is it championing something worthy of being fought for or is it simply doing good kind deeds for others when they are in need?

Also what do you mean by Justify Death? Do you mean Death in the sense of taking a life whether by suicide or homicide or just the fact that living things die? I don't recall seeing that thread off hand.

A hero is different for all of us that is why i asked you what do you think a hero is. For me personally giving up your own life for someone else regardless if they were the worst person on earth is being a hero. And i mean death as a whole death is death and the scenario does not change what it is. Your questions are really not necessary for you are meant to answer those yourselves. You say that at the end of the day we are animals but here is the definition of animal from websters dictionary and i quote "a living thing that is not a human being or plant" NOT a human being. We are not animals for we are clearly distinguished by animals by what we are able to do by the simple fact that we are alive by simply knowing that we are alive we are able to turn away from being an animal into what some would say "being a god" for as some would put it we were created in the image of GOD so in fact some would call us gods as the greeks did but you might not believe this however the fact remains that we are simply above the realm of an animal.
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13 , edited 11/14/13

Well what the person is like does not really matter. To give you an example Hitler might be willing to give up his life for an arian but would he give it up for a jew? because he would give it up for an arian does that make him a good person?
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13 , edited 11/14/13

Morality is what this world lacks in my opinion. And you are right as we have never been close to death we cannot truly say.
26413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / West-Central Florida
Offline
Posted 11/14/13
My life really isn't worth it.
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13

mwhitco91 wrote:

My life really isn't worth it.


i agree
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.