First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
If you could save your life..?
26413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / West-Central Florida
Offline
Posted 11/14/13
Haha, blunt, just how I like 'em.
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13 , edited 11/14/13

mwhitco91 wrote:

Haha, blunt, just how I like 'em.


Umm mate im not homosexual...
27490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 11/14/13 , edited 11/14/13
I'd sacrifice myself to save the other person. Not out of the goodness of my heart though.. If I live and they die, I'm stuck having to deal with this current generation. I'd much prefer death over that.
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13

saksiss wrote:

I'd sacrifice myself to save the other person. Not out of the goodness of my heart though.. If I live and they die, I'm stuck having to deal with this current generation. I'd much prefer death over that.


Nice twist to the situation mate. I like your style!
26413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / West-Central Florida
Offline
Posted 11/14/13

Gotenz wrote:


mwhitco91 wrote:

Haha, blunt, just how I like 'em.


Umm mate im not homosexual...


People in general, Gotenz, people in general. -_-'
22060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 11/14/13
Wow... You all went deep with that one. I personally would live simply because in a one on one comparison, I will always put myself over a single stranger. Now, if it was between me and someone I know, that might be different. With that I might have to really think about the consequences.
4371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 11/14/13 , edited 11/14/13


A hero is different for all of us that is why i asked you what do you think a hero is. For me personally giving up your own life for someone else regardless if they were the worst person on earth is being a hero. And i mean death as a whole death is death and the scenario does not change what it is. Your questions are really not necessary for you are meant to answer those yourselves. You say that at the end of the day we are animals but here is the definition of animal from websters dictionary and i quote "a living thing that is not a human being or plant" NOT a human being. We are not animals for we are clearly distinguished by animals by what we are able to do by the simple fact that we are alive by simply knowing that we are alive we are able to turn away from being an animal into what some would say "being a god" for as some would put it we were created in the image of GOD so in fact some would call us gods as the greeks did but you might not believe this however the fact remains that we are simply above the realm of an animal.



Just for the record you never actually asked me what I think a hero is, you said, "Why do you think heroes exist?" Therefore I wanted to ask what you felt a hero was to establish a frame of reference for our discussion. So what I believe a hero is is someone that attempts to create change by following their ideals. So someone who stands up for what they believe is right over what they feel is unjust or unacceptable. Making the ultimate sacrifice for another is a heroic act. But I don't believe that martyrs are necessarily heroes. Would it not be better to save a life and then continue living to save even more lives if it were possible? Yes a "hero" overcomes his/her instincts/emotions in order to accomplish their goals. However do they do this because they are "heroes" or because they simply want to succeed at their task?

That is true, our ability to be self aware does put us over the living beings on this planet that are not self aware. But we still require nourishment and rest like any other mammal. Perhaps we have evolved to a point both biologically and technologically that relying on our instincts may not be the most logical course of action. From my perspective it could be argued that emotions and morals are a form of higher instincts that we use to guide ourselves. So instead of saying that we have the instinct of self preservation it is our fear of death that drives us to do whatever we have to to survive. To counter your definition of animal, aren't Homo Sapiens listed as a species of mammal within the animal kingdom?

Okay so since you're simply talking about death as a whole, therefore the "act" of dying itself, humans can justify death as being a natural occurrence that befalls all living things during the passage of time. Some simply pass on before others whether that's due to that Being being killed by another Being or the Being succumbing to natural causes. Death is unavoidable. Death really doesn't need to be justified because it happens of its own accord. In retrospect because I feel you may bring this point up; if by Death you meant humans killing one another or themselves the question becomes trickier to answer. For one human killing another human in "Cold Blood" The rationale falls down to a mixture of the emotions fear and anger. You are afraid of being hurt/killed by another and this fear can make you feel helpless. This helplessness infuriates you and so you attempt to help yourself by removing what you are afraid of. Therefore you now have a "justification" for killing someone. Not a perfect model of course but somewhat logical at least. Now when it comes to suicide I suppose you could use that helplessness idea again. You feel so helpless that by removing the thing that is helpless solves the problem by doing away with the feeling of helplessness. Although I personally cannot rationalise suicide other than accepting that people believe it is a valid option.

I disagree that my questions are unnecessary. Yes I do need to find my own answers to them, however how can I find the answer if I don't understand the question?
27490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 11/14/13

Gotenz wrote:


saksiss wrote:

I'd sacrifice myself to save the other person. Not out of the goodness of my heart though.. If I live and they die, I'm stuck having to deal with this current generation. I'd much prefer death over that.


Nice twist to the situation mate. I like your style!


Heh, thank you
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/14/13 , edited 11/14/13
Most good people will say no but most honest people will say yes.

I'll be honest. Yes.

I'll still feel guilty, most likely. And the choice will be remembered, but I will use that as an opportunity to be thankful for the person whose life was sacrificed for my sake. If it ever happens to me, I get the feeling it will change me and make me value my life more.


Currently, I treat my food similarly. I like to eat and I like meat, but I do what I can to avoid wasting meat and animal products. It is shows contempt and disrespect for both living things and the creature sacrificed for your sake if one is wasteful. At least that's how I was raised.
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13 , edited 11/14/13




Just for the record you never actually asked me what I think a hero is, you said, "Why do you think heroes exist?" Therefore I wanted to ask what you felt a hero was to establish a frame of reference for our discussion. So what I believe a hero is is someone that attempts to create change by following their ideals. So someone who stands up for what they believe is right over what they feel is unjust or unacceptable. Making the ultimate sacrifice for another is a heroic act. But I don't believe that martyrs are necessarily heroes. Would it not be better to save a life and then continue living to save even more lives if it were possible? Yes a "hero" overcomes his/her instincts/emotions in order to accomplish their goals. However do they do this because they are "heroes" or because they simply want to succeed at their task?

That is true, our ability to be self aware does put us over the living beings on this planet that are not self aware. But we still require nourishment and rest like any other mammal. Perhaps we have evolved to a point both biologically and technologically that relying on our instincts may not be the most logical course of action. From my perspective it could be argued that emotions and morals are a form of higher instincts that we use to guide ourselves. So instead of saying that we have the instinct of self preservation it is our fear of death that drives us to do whatever we have to to survive. To counter your definition of animal, aren't Homo Sapiens listed as a species of mammal within the animal kingdom?

Okay so since you're simply talking about death as a whole, therefore the "act" of dying itself, humans can justify death as being a natural occurrence that befalls all living things during the passage of time. Some simply pass on before others whether that's due to that Being being killed by another Being or the Being succumbing to natural causes. Death is unavoidable. Death really doesn't need to be justified because it happens of its own accord. In retrospect because I feel you may bring this point up; if by Death you meant humans killing one another or themselves the question becomes trickier to answer. For one human killing another human in "Cold Blood" The rationale falls down to a mixture of the emotions fear and anger. You are afraid of being hurt/killed by another and this fear can make you feel helpless. This helplessness infuriates you and so you attempt to help yourself by removing what you are afraid of. Therefore you now have a "justification" for killing someone. Not a perfect model of course but somewhat logical at least. Now when it comes to suicide I suppose you could use that helplessness idea again. You feel so helpless that by removing the thing that is helpless solves the problem by doing away with the feeling of helplessness. Although I personally cannot rationalise suicide other than accepting that people believe it is a valid option.

I disagree that my questions are unnecessary. Yes I do need to find my own answers to them, however how can I find the answer if I don't understand the question?

I agree. We have instincts but perhaps your view of where our control of those instincts ends is different than mine and perhaps your views of what are instincts are different than mine. Also i am denying that we are animals in the sense i understood you were putting us in and it was not my definition by the way. Of course we are classified as a specie of animal biologically speaking but of course you arent ignorant enough to think that is what i was denying right? Also you say you do not understand my question but since i am talking about a universal topic which is "hero" and "death" your questions seemed unnecessary since things like these are taught to us in school and church and by our parents so to ask questions like these is to simply try to find something that i cannot answer for you since you have to answer them yourself. There is nothing to understand. While you say death does not need to be justified then why do people try to find out why we die? Where did this idea that we shouldent die come from?
15185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 11/14/13
I do not fear death and I'm wasting away with no foreseeable future. I'd gladly give my life so that another could have the chance of a life I've already squandered.
Posted 11/14/13
I don't care much for my life but I still would save myself. Even though my own life doesn't mean much to me a strangers life who I will never meet means absolutely nothing.
9634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Georgia - GA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13
We all seem to have very different opinions on this matter.
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 11/14/13
Yes. I want to live. I have people that I want to see grow up, and I want to interact with them throughout their lives. I also have people who care deeply about me, and would be heartbroken if I were to die. There are many things that I haven't done that I want to experience, too. Sure, my desires can be considered selfish; however, choosing do die in favor of a stranger, thus willingly robbing my loved ones of someone they care about, can also be seen as selfish.

4371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 11/14/13 , edited 11/14/13


I agree. We have instincts but perhaps your view of where our control of those instincts ends is different than mine and perhaps your views of what are instincts are different than mine. Also i am denying that we are animals in the sense i understood you were putting us in and it was not my definition by the way. Of course we are classified as a specie of animal biologically speaking but of course you arent ignorant enough to think that is what i was denying right? Also you say you do not understand my question but since i am talking about a universal topic which is "hero" and "death" your questions seemed unnecessary since things like these are taught to us in school and church and by our parents so to ask questions like these is to simply try to find something that i cannot answer for you since you have to answer them yourself. There is nothing to understand. While you say death does not need to be justified then why do people try to find out why we die? Where did this idea that we shouldent die come from?




Hmm, perhaps I hadn't given enough thought to your position on the matter of the human animal. However I can only react to what appears on my screen putting me at a distinct disadvantage to pick up on certain cues or tones that would have been apparent in a face to face conversation. No I didn't think you were outright denying that we are classified as animals but instead arguing that we weren't necessarily animals in the sense of not being sentient beings and therefore we have the ability to rise above our base animal traits.

Yes the topics are universal but you yourself said that everyone has their own definition of what a hero is to them. So if our views were different and we did not know where each other stood on the topic we wouldn't be able to accurately say what we wanted and have it understood correctly because of an information gap.
Death is also a universal topic but there are many facets to the discussion, so by simply discussing the topic of death in general might not be entirely helpful in the conversation when you want to talk about death in the case of say, myocardial infarction or heart attack. Also I wasn't saying I don't understand what you are asking, it was meant to convey the point I put forward in this part of my reply. That by addressing the broad topic of Death that I could entirely miss the specific facet of death that you wanted to talk about. Again it is harder to convey ques or tones through digital text that would easily be picked up in face to face conversation.

Again you bring up finding the answer "for myself." I have my answers and I can put them forth for you to see. However who says your answer doesn't make more sense? If it does would it make sense for me to not rethink my position on the matter? Even if I do not observing a separate point of view can help strengthen my own or perhaps add an explanation to a part of it that I hadn't thought of yet. I don't see why me asking you questions is an issue here. It should be expected in any conversation when someone wants clarification from another on something.

People want to know why we die because they are curious. People also wanted to know why an apple fell from a tree, or how the solar system works. Humans are curious creatures and science is how we try to sate our curiosity in an attempt to find the answers to our questions. You ask why I say people can't justify death. My answer is that we cannot prevent death. It can be prolonged but not prevented. Then again finding out why we die is different from trying to justify why we have to die. Finding out why we die is an easy enough subject. Air goes in and out. Blood goes around and around. If any of that changes or stops we die. Through medical science we have found ways to help restart this system, prevent it from happening and to keep it running. We don't have the drug for immortality yet if we ever can at all. And even if we are able to one day stop the biological aging process and keep our bodies in perfect equilibrium who's to say that we won't end up going insane after a certain amount of time with biological processors? Then again maybe we could go on indefinitely. The idea of immortality could simply come from the fear of death and what, if anything, comes after our bodies die. If you believe in the eternal soul then the self awareness of a person continues on after they've died and does whatever it is they do once they leave their husk. Perhaps it's a sort of "second birth" into a more complex level of existence or just oblivion. I don't have anything other than conjecture on where our lust for immortality comes from.

We are taught many things by teachers, parents and other relatives and spiritual teachers if you have any. You can teach something to someone but does that necessarily mean that they can only conform to what they have been told? Can they not branch out and perhaps look at the issue a different way and find a whole new area of it to explore? Find the answer themselves as you like to put it. There are some solid truths that will need to be accepted at some point. A math equation works the way it does. If you want to understand why it works that way you can research it yourself and come to same conclusions or you can just accept it as fact and never question why it works the way it does. The old adage, Catch a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll never be hungry again; can fall under what I'm trying to say. You show the man how to fish with some twine for the line, a branch for the rod, some form of hook and a worm as bait. Can the man only use that setup or should he look for even better materials and methods for catching fish?

Any idea why the Spoilers aren't working properly?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.