First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Your surprise hit/fave show(s)
44 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 11/17/13
Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyō
94989 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northwest Florida
Offline
Posted 11/17/13
Medoka Magica
Oreimo season 1
Henneko
Girsl und Panzer
Haganai
38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 11/17/13 , edited 11/17/13
This is actually kind of a tough question for me because until last season, I only watched stuff I expected to like, and so wasn't ever really surprised by how much I liked it. However, a few shows come to mind.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! (Picked up because of hype, ended up loving every bit of it)
Nyarko-San (Definitely my guilty pleasure anime, and sometimes I'm still shocked at how much I enjoyed watching this show)
Free! (Not a favorite, but I was quite surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it)
Toradora! (I suppose I would count it as a surprise because, while I expected to like it at the least, I had no idea how much)
15327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 11/17/13
TWGOK season 3. I thought the first two seasons where slightly above average. I didn't foresee that the series would take the dramatic jump that it did.
811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Way outside the box
Offline
Posted 11/17/13
Squid Girl literally blew my mind when I watched it lol
EmpReb 
19926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Incoming Air Stomp
Offline
Posted 11/17/13

TrueGoober wrote:

The World God Only Knows has got to be the best example of this happening to me. I had just finished watching The End of Evangelion and was in tang-induced depression when I had decided to watch it on a whim. Thankfully it's like the happiest most amazingly great show. I still think it should have been a long-runner...



The World God Only Knows Surprized the heck out of me. I mean my friend really liked it so I decided to give a try. Boy I was hooked like mad and caught up to its big the goddess arc as it was showing. I want more Fire Truck love from are favorite Devil. SEASON FOUR SEASON FOUR.
40817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 11/17/13
Gatchaman Crowds. Hajime is crazy but what a protagonist.

Madoka. Episode 10 made me love Homura and Episode 12 was EPIC. "As long as you remember her, you're not alone"

Noucome. I thought that was going to just another ecchi show, but it's a very very good ecchi show.

Sunday Without God. Episode 3, oh man Episode 3. The feels. Episode 12 also was great.
rsaj 
24162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 11/17/13
Kokoro Connect
63290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 11/17/13

Well_Spoken_Man wrote:

TWGOK season 3. I thought the first two seasons where slightly above average. I didn't foresee that the series would take the dramatic jump that it did.


I'm like the exact opposite lol. For me, the show peaked with Season 2. Season 3 fell a little flat for me due to change in tone (even though I knew it was coming since I keep up with the manga).

I think it was because they had to cut out so much to rush to the high point and fit in the Goddess Arc for only 12 episodes.
2063 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / West Virginia
Offline
Posted 11/18/13
Eden of East
Fairy Tail
Soul Eater
35768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / My Chair, OH
Offline
Posted 11/18/13
This season: Samurai Flamenco
Surprise turn around: Hitman Reborn (Leading up to the first major arc was a pain)
On a whim: Ben-To
29767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 11/18/13 , edited 11/18/13

meetstoopid wrote:

Squid Girl literally blew my mind when I watched it lol


I think we can now declare the original definition of "literally" permanently dead.



All of anime kinda fits this for me, since I didn't understand what the big deal was for such a long time. Madoka Magica... I didn't even find out it existed until it was 10 episodes in, and it's still my favorite show.

Zetsuen no Tempest was very much an "Oh, what's that? Haven't seen that before. Probably mediocre...wait, it's really good? Why didn't I hear about this?" Eccentric Family was the same way. I completely ignored Gatchaman Crowds, thinking it was a generic sentai show, until I saw a gushing review of it on ANN; turned out to be pretty accurate!

This season is almost nothing but surprise good things: Kyousougiga, Log Horizon, Outbreak Company (good god, does that show ever look awful on paper), Gingitsune...
19260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 11/18/13
Madoka Magica, Gosick, Free! (all the yaoi crazies scared me away at first. .-.), K, Samurai Flamenco, KnK, and Outbreak Company for sure.
811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Way outside the box
Offline
Posted 11/18/13

kotomikun wrote:


meetstoopid wrote:

Squid Girl literally blew my mind when I watched it lol


I think we can now declare the original definition of "literally" permanently dead.



All of anime kinda fits this for me, since I didn't understand what the big deal was for such a long time. Madoka Magica... I didn't even find out it existed until it was 10 episodes in, and it's still my favorite show.

Zetsuen no Tempest was very much an "Oh, what's that? Haven't seen that before. Probably mediocre...wait, it's really good? Why didn't I hear about this?" Eccentric Family was the same way. I completely ignored Gatchaman Crowds, thinking it was a generic sentai show, until I saw a gushing review of it on ANN; turned out to be pretty accurate!

This season is almost nothing but surprise good things: Kyousougiga, Log Horizon, Outbreak Company (good god, does that show ever look awful on paper), Gingitsune...


lol my apologies I just enjoyed squid girl more then I expected not that it was spectacular in any way
672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M
Offline
Posted 11/18/13
Little Busters... I didn't like the 1st episode so I dropped it. Months later I gave it another try and I loved it, it's a really great show. I just finished the 1st season, now I'm going to watch the 2nd season "Refrain".

Idolmaster... Same as with Little Busters

Chronicles of the Going Home Club... At first I didn't like it and I almost dropped it, but I kept watching and I really liked it later on.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.