First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Your "perfect episode" aired--now what?
24174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 11/17/13 , edited 11/17/13
Every viewer has different criteria as to what makes up a perfect episode. But once a series that you're watching has aired your perfect episode, then what? Does it affect the way you watch the series? Are you still as interested--maybe less so or more so? What about purchasing habits?

Usually after watching a perfect episode, I'll become even more interested in the series than I was before, but with a lingering feeling of sadness because I know I can never expect the show to reach that level again. After all, such episodes are few. But I will make an extra effort to purchase the series just to own that moment.

As much as I appreciate artwork and storyline, my own requirements for perfection center on emotional intensity and resolution. For example, while Non Non Biyori is my favorite series this season, the only perfect episode I've seen this season is Episode 6 of Arpeggio of Blue Steel. For me, this was the total package. I have already re-watched it several times, and will purchase the series--regardless of its further development--based upon my reaction to Ep 6. Even so, I rather dread watching the next episode because I cannot reasonably expect to be so completely satisfied again.

So, how does seeing your own "perfect episode" aired affect your viewing/purchasing?

*I am unaware of a similar thread, but please lock and redirect if one exists. . .
44579 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M/F - Michigan
Offline
Posted 11/17/13 , edited 11/17/13
Photo Kano jumped the shark with a perfect episode at episode 5 I think it was. After that I was like well the shows over for me, no point in watching the alternate pairings! lol

But that type of perfect ep probably isnt what youre talking about... Gingitsune had a really sweet episode where it could have ended the series right there and it would have been nice. xD
71814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 11/17/13
The perfect episode has to built up from episode 1. Therefore the perfect episode is the last episode. The build up is to a point where the Hero has built his own grave and knows his demise.

24174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 11/17/13 , edited 11/17/13

kitsuneshoujo wrote:

Photo Kano jumped the shark with a perfect episode at episode 5 I think it was. After that I was like well the shows over for me, no point in watching the alternate pairings! lol

But that type of perfect ep probably isnt what youre talking about... Gingitsune had a really sweet episode where it could have ended the series right there and it would have been nice. xD


I've never watched Photo Kano or Gingitsune, but I'm talking about whatever episode is your perfect one, based upon your own expectations/reactions. And I can sympathize with both those reactions: show's over for me & could have ended the series right there. I know what you mean!
25275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/17/13

moonhawk81 wrote:


kitsuneshoujo wrote:

Photo Kano jumped the shark with a perfect episode at episode 5 I think it was. After that I was like well the shows over for me, no point in watching the alternate pairings! lol

But that type of perfect ep probably isnt what youre talking about... Gingitsune had a really sweet episode where it could have ended the series right there and it would have been nice. xD


I've never watched Photo Kano or Gingitsune, but I'm talking about whatever episode is your perfect one, based upon your own expectations/reactions. And I can sympathize with both those reactions: show's over for me & could have ended the series right there. I know what you mean!


I can agree with that.. usually for me, it's as Kami said and the actual ending is that series' "perfect episode" so to speak, but on the occasion that it's NOT the last episode, I feel like the anime should have ended at that episode. for instance, episode 10 of the Hyperdimension Neptunia anime was the "perfect episode" for that series, and I feel it really should have ended there. episodes 11 and 12 just felt tacked on afterwards.. or like episode 13 of Oregairu, which felt like it should have been an OVA instead of the last episode of the series..
44006 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 11/17/13 , edited 11/17/13
I can't remember any particular episode that stands out for me in my memory. So maybe I haven't found my perfect episode yet if nothing is memorable.

But hypothetically if I have watched a perfect episode, I'd rather it happen at the end or near the end. If it happens in the middle like you say happened for you in Ars Nova, I would probably find the rest of the show less enjoyable like you said.

I'd probably keep watching the rest of the show though just to see how it ends.
24174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 11/17/13 , edited 11/17/13

aidenraine wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:


kitsuneshoujo wrote:

Photo Kano jumped the shark with a perfect episode at episode 5 I think it was. After that I was like well the shows over for me, no point in watching the alternate pairings! lol

But that type of perfect ep probably isnt what youre talking about... Gingitsune had a really sweet episode where it could have ended the series right there and it would have been nice. xD


I've never watched Photo Kano or Gingitsune, but I'm talking about whatever episode is your perfect one, based upon your own expectations/reactions. And I can sympathize with both those reactions: show's over for me & could have ended the series right there. I know what you mean!


I can agree with that.. usually for me, it's as Kami said and the actual ending is that series' "perfect episode" so to speak, but on the occasion that it's NOT the last episode, I feel like the anime should have ended at that episode. for instance, episode 10 of the Hyperdimension Neptunia anime was the "perfect episode" for that series, and I feel it really should have ended there. episodes 11 and 12 just felt tacked on afterwards.. or like episode 13 of Oregairu, which felt like it should have been an OVA instead of the last episode of the series..


Again, I understand completely. I never understood why Soranowoto had an episode 13, even if it was an OVA. Rather than adding to the story's development, I actually thought that Ep 13 detracted from it. Sadly, one cannot "unwatch" an episode. *shudders
21139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 11/17/13
I'm sure people are sick of me drooling over this by now, but whatever.

Kyousougiga 00 is unrivaled, in my humble opinion.
15008 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 11/17/13

There is nothing in this world that is truly "perfect". Though it may be a rather large cliche, it is still the truth. It is the ordinary people who look up to "perfection" as an ideal and seek after it. But in truth, what is this idea of "perfection" truly worth? Nothing. Not a single thing. I detest "perfection". To be "perfect" is to be unable to improve any further. There would be no scope for "creation", not a single gap in one's knowledge or one's ability. Do you see now? To true scientists like you and I, "Perfection" is tantamount to "despair". We aspire to reach greater levels of brilliance than ever before, but never, NEVER, to reach perfection. That is the paradox through which we scientists must struggle. Indeed, it is our duty to find pleasure in that struggle. In other words, the second you allowed yourself to spout a ridiculous word like "perfect", in truth, you had already been defeated.

--Mayuri Kurotsuchi

Try to just enjoy the show as a whole as you're watching it, look back for the "perfect" episode after the show is over, if then.
41919 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 11/17/13

Sunnoir wrote:


There is nothing in this world that is truly "perfect". Though it may be a rather large cliche, it is still the truth. It is the ordinary people who look up to "perfection" as an ideal and seek after it. But in truth, what is this idea of "perfection" truly worth? Nothing. Not a single thing. I detest "perfection". To be "perfect" is to be unable to improve any further. There would be no scope for "creation", not a single gap in one's knowledge or one's ability. Do you see now? To true scientists like you and I, "Perfection" is tantamount to "despair". We aspire to reach greater levels of brilliance than ever before, but never, NEVER, to reach perfection. That is the paradox through which we scientists must struggle. Indeed, it is our duty to find pleasure in that struggle. In other words, the second you allowed yourself to spout a ridiculous word like "perfect", in truth, you had already been defeated.

--Mayuri Kurotsuchi

Try to just enjoy the show as a whole as you're watching it, look back for the "perfect" episode after the show is over, if then.




Could easily turn around and say something like, "Perfection is the ability to tolerate imperfections". See what I've done? I'm just playing with words and stringing them together to make some it appear like some sort of deep philosophy.




Anyway, to answer the thread question; seeing a perfect episode in an anime makes me want to watch it even more, as it shows that whoever directed it has a great sense of artistry.
589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 11/17/13
there'll always be more perfect episodes from the japanese.
8987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / florida
Online
Posted 11/17/13
Nostalgia drives me to consider a series perfect.
And, it sucks at the same time.

Constant rewatching, on what I considered "perfect," series make me eventually see the flaws.


I honestly love this year's Man of Steel. I love it.
I don't want/need to watch it again because one: I already know the outcome, two: eventually see the flaws, three: starts comparing to other films.
On this case, I just want to watch it one time and move on.
Seal that wonderful first time experience in the memory banks and don't look back and taint it.
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 11/18/13
Kill la Kill is valiantly attempting, though not quite hitting the same bar episode 3 set for the rest of the series. I've faith in the team behind the series that it will be revisited but I think moderation is something they cared not for when they aired episode 3.
46661 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 11/18/13 , edited 11/18/13
Episode 9 of Ano Natsu de Matteru is as close to perfect as an episode can get. It has the complete range of emotion, from despair to elation, all within a few scenes, and it is funny!

It didn't make me love the rest of the show any less...
24174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 11/18/13

Sunnoir wrote:


There is nothing in this world that is truly "perfect". Though it may be a rather large cliche, it is still the truth. It is the ordinary people who look up to "perfection" as an ideal and seek after it. But in truth, what is this idea of "perfection" truly worth? Nothing. Not a single thing. I detest "perfection". To be "perfect" is to be unable to improve any further. There would be no scope for "creation", not a single gap in one's knowledge or one's ability. Do you see now? To true scientists like you and I, "Perfection" is tantamount to "despair". We aspire to reach greater levels of brilliance than ever before, but never, NEVER, to reach perfection. That is the paradox through which we scientists must struggle. Indeed, it is our duty to find pleasure in that struggle. In other words, the second you allowed yourself to spout a ridiculous word like "perfect", in truth, you had already been defeated.

--Mayuri Kurotsuchi

Try to just enjoy the show as a whole as you're watching it, look back for the "perfect" episode after the show is over, if then.


I understand your sentiment, but in some cases a certain episode just clicks as you're watching it and you instantly recognize your own interpretation of perfection right there in front of you.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.