• Don't know what to watch? Try a random show!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Updated Crunchyroll App for Android users
15088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/14
67150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / California, USA
Offline
Posted 12/31/14
Not to derail the HD Hype train, but since this is the Android thread;

Is there any chance that we would get ability to use Crunchyroll on Android TV? (Like on the new ADT-1 Nexus Player)
It would be even more awesome if it provided itself as a media source that you could search from the Android TV launcher (or from Google Search on a normal phone or tablet device for that matter).
14076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/15 , edited 2/27/15
Android app wants access to my files?

Why does version 1.1.0 released yesterday of the android app store wants permission to access my photos/files and other media files? Why does it wants permission to modify and delete contents of the SD card?
38282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / San Antonio, Texas
Online
Posted 1/17/15
My only gripe with Crunchyroll so far is the fact that I can't watch anime in at least HD let alone Full HD on my Nexus 6 (Android) phone.
These days phones are getting bigger and with screens at incredible resolution, it's a complete shame that the only content I cannot enjoy on my android phone is the anime streaming service that I continuously pay for during these past couple of years.

Sure I have a desktop computer with a gorgeous 1440p monitor and a hifi system to compliment the media I consume on it, but the majority of media I consume is still spent on my bed with my phone or tablet. Please Crunchyroll, give us HD/HD+ playback on our mobiles!
The Wise Wizard
83617 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 1/17/15

Todoke wrote:

Please Crunchyroll, give us HD/HD+ playback on our mobiles!

I would expect 2015 will not pass without HD support arriving. (Hopefully not even the first half of it):
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-881505/unofficial-hd-streaming-app-premium-only?fpid=48863161

I'd also like to announce that we have an Android app update coming right around the corner which includes adaptive streaming and HD resolutions (if your network connection and device can support them).

I wouldn't count on support for higher than HD resolutions, however. It was debatable (and debated) whether anime benefited that much from 1080p vs 720p. Anything higher than 1080p at this point would just be a waste of bandwidth.

38282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / San Antonio, Texas
Online
Posted 1/18/15

TheAncientOne wrote:


Todoke wrote:

Please Crunchyroll, give us HD/HD+ playback on our mobiles!

I would expect 2015 will not pass without HD support arriving. (Hopefully not even the first half of it):
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-881505/unofficial-hd-streaming-app-premium-only?fpid=48863161

I'd also like to announce that we have an Android app update coming right around the corner which includes adaptive streaming and HD resolutions (if your network connection and device can support them).

I wouldn't count on support for higher than HD resolutions, however. It was debatable (and debated) whether anime benefited that much from 1080p vs 720p. Anything higher than 1080p at this point would just be a waste of bandwidth.



I don't know where this research comes from, but I definitely notice the difference between 1080p and 720p. Maybe it's because I have a 1440p monitor that covers 99% adobe rgb or something, but the differences are not nearly as apparent as 720p and 480p, this is taking into account of the highest quality produced anime of course. It's a little bit like anti aliasing in the sense of what I'm seeing.

I still believe that we can have results if anime production utilizes 8k resolution and downsamples it to QHD/WHD, but that's obviously not going to happen anytime in the near future.

Either way, I'm not demanding QHD or anything, just at least 720p (or 1080p!) on android mobile devices.

DN7Q3B 
8014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/27/15

guillotmx wrote:

Android app wants access to my files?

Why does version 1.1.0 released yesterday of the android app store wants permission to access my photos/files and other media files? Why does it wants permission to modify and delete contents of the SD card?


Haven't updatedl. Waiting on reason for new permission.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.