First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Video player sucks D on this website.
Der Zoodirektor
26133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Online
Posted 12/13/15

vincentp1324 wrote:

I think it's due to their cheap content development network (CDN). I've been bitching to them (at least when you could directly contact support) and always would get "Send us a trace route!" Not that anything was ever done.

Same problem with the Roku player, too, so it's not the client.

These guys are just cheap.


We are hosted at Level3 and Akamai for the website streams, two of the largest and most well connected players on the market. We are definitely not working with an inferior or cheap option.
42949 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/15/15 , edited 1/20/16

shinryou wrote:


vincentp1324 wrote:

I think it's due to their cheap content development network (CDN). I've been bitching to them (at least when you could directly contact support) and always would get "Send us a trace route!" Not that anything was ever done.

Same problem with the Roku player, too, so it's not the client.

These guys are just cheap.


We are hosted at Level3 and Akamai for the website streams, two of the largest and most well connected players on the market. We are definitely not working with an inferior or cheap option.


Just cause you go to a Mercedes dealer doesn't mean they won't sell you a Chevy off the back lot. In my completely unprofessional opinion it has more to do with improper load balancing/CoS/QoS than the actual hosting. It seems priority is given to mobile and apps while the web player takes a backseat and newer, popular shows get bottlenecked while catalogue titles sit on resources that should be reallocated as needed.

Der Zoodirektor
26133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Online
Posted 12/15/15 , edited 12/15/15

mlchanges wrote:
Just cause you go to a Mercedes dealer doesn't mean they won't sell you a Chevy off the back lot. In my completely unprofessional opinion it has more to do with improper load balancing/CoS/QoS than the actual hosting. It seems priority is given to mobile and apps while the web player takes a backseat and newer, popular shows get bottlenecked while catalogue titles sit on resources that should be reallocated as needed.


Web streams and app streams are not on the same CDNs. They use different streaming technology, as well as different encodes. If something is watched less it will only use the according resources, so catalog does not get into the way of simulcasts either (both are legitimate streams in first place).
42949 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/15/15 , edited 12/15/15

shinryou wrote:


Web streams and app streams are not on the same CDNs. They use different streaming technology, as well as different encodes. If something is watched less it will only use the according resources, so catalog does not get into the way of simulcasts either (both are legitimate streams in first place).


I was trying to give some credit by guessing the apps take priority but if their on a completely different CDN then I can't really think of an excuse for the web player. I can't buy the second part in bold, when trying to watch simulcasts that are less than a month old anywhere near peak hours and it's a stuttering mess while a random catalog title plays as smooth as butter..... if there's not some kind of load or resource allocation issue happening then.....I don't know.....anyway, whatever, I just drop in a few times a year to see if there's anything new on the issue. time to go away now.
876 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Online
Posted 12/17/15 , edited 1/20/16
I'd also like to see the outright removal of that one ad that crashes everyone.

I've tried 3 different computers, 3 different browsers, and that one ad always crashes Flash without being displayed.

I wish there was some way to test view specific ads just so we could pinpoint exactly which one is causing the issue.
Tricer 
8178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / King Dan's fields
Offline
Posted 1/12/16 , edited 1/20/16
I can pretty much only use CR from 6am untill (if lucky) 5pm(gmt+1), i'm guessing that activity on the site is a bigger issue that the player itself(but they might be related).
But unfortunately so many streaming places are non-responsive to the pleebs request(even if crunchyroll at least pretends to do so).

If it is a an issue of server availability i'd gladly give slightly more to be able to watch when i want. and not while the (most likely) americans and others outside my timezone sleep.
27 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/4/16 , edited 8/4/16

I have to say that for myself personally I have had no real issues with the playback of videos. I am from New Zealand, and so I was actually expecting to have some buffering issues. But that does not seem to be the case. Occasionally I will get a small stutter, at this point all I need to do is pause the video for a maximum of 3-4 seconds and bam no longer any stuttering issues.

Also, I just should note that I do not seem to have any issues what so ever in skipping the video ahead. It picks up pretty quickly.

I am watching in 1080p.

New Zealand?
Then use Animelab instead. I used a VPN and tried it. It's Awesome!!
It'a got like most animu and is only for AU and NZ!!
13049 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/5/16 , edited 11/20/16
yeahh CR is complete garbage,the ps4 app used to be stable now that pauses as much as the site. Now that HD anime is streaming for free just about everywhere and uh...UNCENSORED. crappyrolll is rendered obsolete. ill keep funimation for putting up a good service.
7050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/13/16 , edited 2/24/17
bump... wow and here i was thinking it was just me... freaking clocking 230+ up 60+ down now and I had to see if there were others... i'm getting real tired of this... might unsub from CR.
12203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/6/17 , edited 6/6/17

shinryou wrote:

We are hosted at Level3 and Akamai for the website streams, two of the largest and most well connected players on the market. We are definitely not working with an inferior or cheap option.


Great excuse, so explain why the user experience is so inferior? These complaints go back YEARS and Crunchyroll hasn't fixed these problems yet even though they affect the core of their service.

This is 2017. There are countless other video sites on the Internet who have figured how to deliver videos to their customers without lag, interruptions, badly placed commercial breaks and all the other problems found on Crunchyroll. If you need an example a competent anime provider, VIZ is one example of a company who manages to do it right. Heck, most illegitimate sites do a better job delivering videos than Crunchyroll.

The sad thing is that I would be perfectly willing to pay a subscription if the service was not so poor and amateur. I tried to paying once thinking it might clear up the lag, interruptions and all the rest, but it was just as bad, if not worse because Crunchyroll doesn't know how to consistently deliver 480p much less anything higher. Until they do, they won't ever get my money again.
Der Zoodirektor
26133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Online
Posted 6/7/17 , edited 6/7/17

Doctor_Overlord wrote:

Great excuse, so explain why the user experience is so inferior? These complaints go back YEARS and Crunchyroll hasn't fixed these problems yet even though they affect the core of their service.

This is 2017. There are countless other video sites on the Internet who have figured how to deliver videos to their customers without lag, interruptions, badly placed commercial breaks and all the other problems found on Crunchyroll. If you need an example a competent anime provider, VIZ is one example of a company who manages to do it right. Heck, most illegitimate sites do a better job delivering videos than Crunchyroll.

The sad thing is that I would be perfectly willing to pay a subscription if the service was not so poor and amateur. I tried to paying once thinking it might clear up the lag, interruptions and all the rest, but it was just as bad, if not worse because Crunchyroll doesn't know how to consistently deliver 480p much less anything higher. Until they do, they won't ever get my money again.


The internet is not a static thing, so it's entirely possible to have a smooth experience with one service and a not so smooth experience with another at the same time. And the whole thing being vice-versa the next day.

For example, there was an ISP in Germany that had an agreement with one of our CDN providers back in the days that allowed our CDN provider to place a local set of servers into the data center of the ISP so money could be saved on peering. The CDN provider undersized those servers at the data center (or the ISPS still choked the connection, we will never be able to tell), leading to a deprecation of service quality for anyone streaming through that CDN. This obviously wasn't limited to just Crunchyroll, but any service using that CDN provider.

If you add reasons and frequency up, it is simply far more likely for streaming performance to suffer due to settings on the client's end or somewhere in the network of their ISP, or due to how the client's ISP peers with our CDN providers. We do not have a limit on how many clients or bandwidth we may use, it automatically scales according to the demand.
44012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/8/17
One thing for CR answers they created the excuse / blame game like our current goverment / famous people / criminals etc uses, Humanity soceity should has fallen when nobody can man-up and stop making excuses.

Again this is the only website that has so many problems on such a consisent and wide range of areas.

BTW CR staff could fiil in mant posistions in Washington DC since honesty doent seem to be here ! I like CR but what lousy public relations . The whole TECH DEPT should be swerpt out as Elation's replacementds havent solved anything .
23019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M
Offline
Posted 7/13/17
i have canceled my membership more than 1's over the same play issue this is a problem that does not seem to stay fixed i suspect that a lot of the problem is the very small buffer less than 15 sec. extending this to 2 min. would solve lots of the problem.
the only real solution may be for a lot of us to start canceling memberships when the play quality is bad.
i am tired of having to screw with cr every couple of months to get it to work at all would like 4k content as well.
50415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 7/13/17

dancer42 wrote:

i have canceled my membership more than 1's over the same play issue this is a problem that does not seem to stay fixed i suspect that a lot of the problem is the very small buffer less than 15 sec. extending this to 2 min. would solve lots of the problem.
the only real solution may be for a lot of us to start canceling memberships when the play quality is bad.
i am tired of having to screw with cr every couple of months to get it to work at all would like 4k content as well.


4K would be pointless since Anime is created at somewhere between 720 and 1080, then scaled to a standard resolution afterwards:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-07-06/.103696

As for the player, there is an HTML-5 version in beta, but not ready for release yet. In the meantime, if you have Windows 10, you could try the UWP instead of a browser and skip Flash entirely, along with the need for it to coordinate two separate streams, and see if that improves things for you...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/crunchyroll/9wzdncrfj15t
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.