First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Only some religions are mythology
10361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/24/13 , edited 12/24/13

log10 wrote:


Lethargic_leopard_Seal wrote:

All religions are myths. We're just rogue conglomerates of matter flying around on a chunk of matter in the middle of matter.


How are they all myths? Who told you that they are all myths? Were you there during the mythical times which would allow you to have authority on this subject?



You're right that I wasn't their, and maybe you're right to think Odin is still slaughtering frost giants on his six-legged horse. It sounds like a fairly awesome religion, really. Then again, you weren't born then either, nor at the time of any other religion, and since no religion is keen on leaving any clues to its validity behind, any one of them could be right. Based on evidence though, all of them are just myth, and I don't need arcane lore to dictate my life. I can handle the fact that compared to the shimmering void of the universe, we are nothing.
2044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 12/24/13
i also say greek mythology and norse mythology, not because i consider them myths or anything, but because i don't know a better word that i can use.
5033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / New Orleans
Offline
Posted 12/24/13

I'm not as nice as you.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 12/24/13

pirththee wrote:

I had a cultural anthropology professor that use to say that the word "mythology "was just a term used by people to denote a belief system they didn't believe in.It therefore represented an example of being '"culture bound" by those that employed it. Well, it sure did in his class.


That is why I call all religions Myths not just the dead ones.

I just find it funny people can call most of the Greek, Druid, and Roman religions Myths and yet most of their modern religions took bits and pieces from those religions, such as stories.

Example... A god born from a virgin, walk the earth preforming miracles, died/sacrificed self to save us from are ancestors so called sins.

Another Sample of Modern religious myths taking from other religious myths would the celebration of Christmas, Took the birth of the pagan sun god, and made it a Christian Thing.


10361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/24/13

AwesomeFantastic wrote:


I'm not as nice as you.


Thanks to that profile picture, on the internet, you sound like Spike.
5033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / New Orleans
Offline
Posted 12/24/13 , edited 12/24/13
^ I actually have a voice pretty similar to Steve Blum so it works.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/24/13 , edited 12/24/13
I believe it was the celebration (Christmas) of Mithra.Christianity was basically just another Roman mystery religion/belief system."Pagan" was another word with the same connotations as "mythology" but with some really dark undertones based in persecution .I personally don't care what religion you practice.As long as you don't try to impose it, or your beliefs on me ,or anybody else, we're cool.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 12/24/13 , edited 12/24/13

log10
Proof proves nothing to a perpetual skeptic. It is either you believe in the Truth or you don't. You say you are nothing, good for you, small minded one. As for me, I am nothing and everything at once since I am God incarnate.


It does, if the proof is substantial. If it is ACTUAL proof.
You know... imperical. Testable. Measurable. Reproducable. And so far, nothing of the sort has been presented in relation to the concept of any form of deity.

"Evidence" based on intuition is not evidence. It's guesswork.




log10
Even if you give proof to a human, it is still possible for that simple human to not believe what that proof is proving. Proof does not really prove anything to an individual that is perpetually in constant skepticism.


Once again, it does. If it is actually evidence and not just mental regurgitation.




log10
I bet if God came down now in physical form and showed proof to an atheist that he/she/it does exist, the atheist will still not believe since they are always doubtful and have no faith.


Sweeping statement that reeks of prejudice and ignorance regarding how the mind of a sceptic works, and what is needed in order to satisfy a sceptic.
A.k.a. -- SCIENCE! That's what's necessary. Not pseudo-science. But actual, imperical, testable, measurable and reproducable science.



log10
It is either you believe or not believe and that applies to everything in life.


Such an immensely ignorant statement, and a true sign that you are indeed NOT a scientist, nor do you have any actual interest in science.
You are no better than creationists trying to argue that Noah really took two of all the animals on earth with him on a boat 4000 years ago who subsequently went on to incestually repopulate the entire earth.

You have no regards for actual evidence, but are merely content with basking in your own delusions and mind-spin.




log10
I am God. Prove that I am not God, you disrespectful and small minded Atheist.
To have doubt in anything does not prove that the object you are doubting is proven to be wrong, it just means you lack faith and conviction in you own beliefs.

The thing with spirituality is that it cannot be measured with the scientific process properly unless the observing scientist is a Godly man or woman.


You are the one making a positive statement. The burden of proof lies on you, not the atheist.
And yes, to have doubt in something doesn't prove that the thing in question is wrong... which isn't the point of scepticism at all.
The point of being sceptical is to not be gullible. To not take things at face value. To not just believe in any crazy thing without proof.
Where on earth did you get the idea that scepticism is supposed to be something that is intended to disprove something?

Being a sceptic doesn't mean one is lacking in their faith and conviction. It just means that one doesn't have faith and conviction for something that cannot be proven.
That doesn't mean one is opposed to the thing. It could very well that they WANT it to be real. It just means that they're not going to believe in something just because they like the idea. They're not going to delude themselves into believeing something that has no scientific evidence to support it.

For instance, I would LOVE it if there was an afterlife. If my thoughts and my essence wouldn't just fade into oblivion if I were to die.
But despite that, I don't actually believe that such is the case. Why? Because there is nothing that indicates that there is such a thing as an afterlife. It's just a fantasy idea with no scientific evidence to back it up.
I would love it if it was true, but I'm not going to believe it's true until it is supported by actual imperical evidence.
816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / VA
Offline
Posted 12/26/13

Lethargic_leopard_Seal wrote:

All religions are myths. We're just rogue conglomerates of matter flying around on a chunk of matter in the middle of matter.


agreed.
4961 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/26/13 , edited 12/26/13

log10 wrote:



Vega, is that you? If so, buddy me. I've been missing ya.
42439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/26/13
I'm an Apatheist just passing by.
4961 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/26/13
If I had a dollar for every time these can of worms were opened......well, let's just say I'd have a lot of cash and worms.
Anyway I wish the people who complain about other's faiths would actually learn about them before they post something totally ignorant about them. Some of you have such massive misconceptions about religions, you could fit Jupiter in the hole. I'd correct those gaps, but frankly I'm tired of doing that over and over and over and over here in the internet community, especially since you all are perfectly able to educate yourselves......but you know you all won't, and will continue to have this argument over and over and over again, here or elsewhere......
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/28/13
Try "Belief Systems".
48494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ar away
Offline
Posted 1/2/14

PhyongHwa wrote:

If I had a dollar for every time these can of worms were opened......well, let's just say I'd have a lot of cash and worms.
Anyway I wish the people who complain about other's faiths would actually learn about them before they post something totally ignorant about them. Some of you have such massive misconceptions about religions, you could fit Jupiter in the hole. I'd correct those gaps, but frankly I'm tired of doing that over and over and over and over here in the internet community, especially since you all are perfectly able to educate yourselves......but you know you all won't, and will continue to have this argument over and over and over again, here or elsewhere......
Who died and made you master of all religions-sama?

10577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / chicagoland
Offline
Posted 1/9/14

Zeta-Nu wrote:

I`m a Pantheist, i don`t trust Religious people and Atheist people.

Humans were mortal, this is why they don`t see Gods and they don`t believe them.
Earth is located at the 5th Dimension, Heaven is located at the highest dimension, Hell is located at the lowest dimension.

Mortal humans, Animals, Plants = 5th dimension.
Gods,Angels,Aliens = Higher Dimensions.
Demons,Mythical Creatures,Dinosaurs = Lower Dimensions.

If your an Atheist, trust your intuition.


so you dont believe in dinosaurs?
and, believing in heaven and hell means youre a christian or abrahamic at least
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.