First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Better In Manga than Anime
ebrace 
49312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Do you really care?
Offline
Posted 12/7/13
Gantz
the anime was just terrible
Gunslinger Girl
I loved the ending in the manga

p.s. I watched Elfin Lied and then started to read the manga but put it down because the art was so bad. Looks like I should read more of it.
20679 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/7/13
Gantz

Berserk

Spice & Wolf
18208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Salt Lake City, UT
Offline
Posted 12/8/13
I've been seeing people saying every manga is better than the anime because they were first.

I know that of course, but I guess what I wanted this topic to be is about the Anime that didn't fill in the shoes of their Manga, I guess.
25026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 12/8/13
Freezing.

The anime is frankly terrible and has boob slips, pantie shots and general ecchiness shoehorned in at every damn opportunity. While the manga does have some it is few and far between while the anime it is every other fecking scene.

The anime also alters many characters personalities and their appearance to the point they only vaguely resemble their manga counterpart, including Satella. And worst of all is the butchering of the story. Many things are left out, the order is changed and new anime only stuff is added to try and bridge the gaps created by doing so.
It is pointless to discuss Freezing as a manga reader with someone who has only seen the anime for these reasons alone. They may as well be two different stories.

The manga gets between 3-4 new chapters a month now which should be a good indication of its growing popularity.
37482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / University of Tex...
Offline
Posted 12/8/13

CrimsonFinality wrote:

Fate Stay Night
There might be others I just can't think of them right now.


I don't really want to read your spoiler (I've yet to watch the anime), but I have to wonder if the manga follows the source material better. Do you happen to know if it does? I could see how that could make it better (since the VN is regularly thought of as superior to the anime).


Sogno- wrote:

all of them without the original source there is no other medium...

although i have to say attack on titan's anime adaption is much prettier to look at than the manga lol


I have a couple problems with your statement.
First, the manga is frequently not the source (Fate Stay/Night, Henneko, Korezom, ef, etc all have anime, manga, and source material), so in these cases your argument completely fails. I also personally think some of these anime are much better than the manga adaptations.

Second, merely because one thing requires another does not make it worse. The two can still be compared fairly.
Also, many programs use libraries that are certainly required for them to run (go delete a few random .dll files and see if programs still work), but the new programs are frequently better than the libraries they depend on.


TheGordianNot wrote:

It would be a shorter list to find counterexamples - anime which had a better story than the manga! And I honestly can't think about any out of my head. The closest thing to it would be Death Note, as I liked better how it handled the death of you-know-who compared to the manga, but the second arc was too rushed in my opinion and that makes it overall worse. FMA: Brotherhood was either as good as the manga (from episode 19 on) or worse. HunterXHunter, new edition, is pretty much identical to the manga, so you could say it's overall better 'cos it expands the experience. Anything else I can think of has suffered from the translation into anime. Not that I think that anime from manga shouldn't be done - it improves in details like the art, adds color, music and fluid movement etc. that are all good things. But storywise, TV writers who do adaptations are regularly worse than actual writers/mangakas.


You, like Sogno, seem to be assuming the manga is the source material. This isn't always true. I enjoyed the Henneko anime more than the manga (although the LN was probably even better, but I haven't read it so can't be sure).
Also, I believe the process of adaptation leaves room for improvement. In many cases, the addition of music has transformed a scene into something much more amazing. Music can do amazing things for emotion.

Also, I'm not sure who you are talking about when you say "you-know-who." It could be
28334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 12/8/13

PatrickAupperleUtexas wrote:

You, like Sogno, seem to be assuming the manga is the source material. This isn't always true. I enjoyed the Henneko anime more than the manga (although the LN was probably even better, but I haven't read it so can't be sure).
Also, I believe the process of adaptation leaves room for improvement. In many cases, the addition of music has transformed a scene into something much more amazing. Music can do amazing things for emotion.

Also, I'm not sure who you are talking about when you say "you-know-who." It could be


I mentioned anime vs. manga situations because that's what the OP asked. I am aware however that there are cases when the anime comes first than the manga, and cases where the source material is a Visual Novel/Light Novel. In the first case, I have never read such manga (if the series is anime original I usually stick with that); in the second, well, I don't like Visual Novels and have never read any Light Novels, but I can see how a good anime rendition can improve upon the source material. I loved both Shin Sekai Yori and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, adapted from LNs, and I'm pretty sure the original material could hardly be better - especially for Jinrui, where the colorful art and wonderful voice acting were a great part of the charm.

Now that I think about it, here's one case of anime being superior to the manga for me: Flowers of Evil. The manga is good. But the anime, with the rotoscoping, the creepy music, and the direction, gave me goosebumps (worst flaw though was that it was horribly slow and didn't get to adapt the whole Nakamura & Saeki arc).
7058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/8/13 , edited 12/8/13
Beelzebub.

The anime was okay at first, but it went kinda downhill later on and the ending was rushed. They even left out the details from the manga. I do like the continued story in the manga and it's going to get better. The manga is good right know and it should stay that way.
37482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / University of Tex...
Offline
Posted 12/8/13

TheGordianNot wrote:
I mentioned anime vs. manga situations because that's what the OP asked. I am aware however that there are cases when the anime comes first than the manga, and cases where the source material is a Visual Novel/Light Novel. In the first case, I have never read such manga (if the series is anime original I usually stick with that); in the second, well, I don't like Visual Novels and have never read any Light Novels, but I can see how a good anime rendition can improve upon the source material. I loved both Shin Sekai Yori and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, adapted from LNs, and I'm pretty sure the original material could hardly be better - especially for Jinrui, where the colorful art and wonderful voice acting were a great part of the charm.

Now that I think about it, here's one case of anime being superior to the manga for me: Flowers of Evil. The manga is good. But the anime, with the rotoscoping, the creepy music, and the direction, gave me goosebumps (worst flaw though was that it was horribly slow and didn't get to adapt the whole Nakamura & Saeki arc).


What the op said is:


He never said that the manga was the source material. He simply said to compare the manga version and anime versions of a story. He never mentioned chronology of release, nor did he mention what the source was. I was talking about manga vs anime situations as well (manga vs anime does not preclude both being adaptations from VNs or LNs).
17028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/8/13

BanditoRalf wrote:

Gantz

Berserk

Spice & Wolf


the first season of Gantz is Amazing. I think that anime is spot on until the last few episodes. It's just that one mission that is way off and I think part of it is because of when the anime was done and where the manga was at. The animation is great, the tranport scenes are awesome.

Berserk is friggin awesome, and also holds very fast to the manga, it just follows only one arc!!! I think they are making Berserk into OVA's to expand on it. Its a bit older but the violence and character depth shines through just like the manga. I mean yes they cut some parts out but all in all I thought it was a great adaptation.
1162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/8/13 , edited 12/8/13
Rosario+Vampire is a definite one.Also GTO, Mahou Sensei Negima, TWGOK, and Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai.
230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/8/13
Fruits Basket....OTL That anime left a bad taste in my mouth e n e
15448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 12/9/13

allmondsjoy wrote:


2. My Favorite Romance Manga not Anime- Ichigo 100- If you see the Anime then you would dislike the series because, first of all they skip a lot of scenes and also it ends as a harem, with no improvement on the characters or the story.


well ichigo 100 is a harem

50394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 12/9/13

allmondsjoy wrote:

1. Mirai Nikki (Future Diaries)- Because the anime ends too early and if you've watched it completely then go back to the first episode and see the very first scene....... You'll notice that they show two huge spoilers that the manga didn't have and I HATED IT! Thank god that I read the manga first.


The opening of Mirai Nikki was a "spoiler" only if you read the manga beforehand. To everyone else, it just added to the suspense and mystery of Yuno right off the bat. Considering Yuno was the main attraction for a lot of Mirai Nikki fans, I can see why they did that for the anime.

As for the ending... I liked the anime ending better than the manga, because the manga's ending was too cheerful. Just ending where--

--instead of going beyond that was a lot more of a mindfuck. It was fitting for the series.

I wouldn't say that on the whole the anime was better than the manga, but I think the anime did some things better.

As for manga that are better than anime... Blue Exorcist. Definitely. The anime screwed that series over epically.
28334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 12/9/13

PatrickAupperleUtexas wrote:

What the op said is:


He never said that the manga was the source material. He simply said to compare the manga version and anime versions of a story. He never mentioned chronology of release, nor did he mention what the source was. I was talking about manga vs anime situations as well (manga vs anime does not preclude both being adaptations from VNs or LNs).


Ok, so for those situations I can't talk because all manga I read were original works, and the anime an adaptation. I'm just speaking from my experience, which of course is limited.
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 12/9/13

Sogno- wrote:

all of them without the original source there is no other medium...
Contrary to popular belief, there are original anime that were adapted into a manga afterwards, which make this statement kind of paradoxical. I do tend to agree though that the original medium is usually better in most cases though.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.