First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
The new ending to Shingeki no Kyojin (Possible spoilers)
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/7/13

Orga777 wrote:

Guys are flipping out quite a bit here... First off, all he said is that the ending is not going to be as traumatically devastating as originally planned. That does NOT mean that some of the main characters or what not will not bite the dust at a later point. It just means that it isn't going to be set as "everything is hopeless and the last glimmer of hope dies off too." Which I am grateful for, really. Those types of endings make everything pointless to begin with. Might as well of just killed everyone in the first chapter at that point and saved everyone the trouble. XD

And who is to say that all the huge following and what-not got him more involved in his own story and he started to LIKE his characters enough to NOT want to see them all die and/or fail miserably at the end now? Personally, it is not going to be a standard "happy ending" or what ever people are thinking from this at all. I guarantee it will be VERY bitter-sweet and something more akin to the ending Madoka Magica and the like. There WILL be prices to pay, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few main characters die near the end.



Oh hey.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/7/13



Thanks a bunches.
17893 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 12/7/13
you have a long wait 2nd season isn't coming out until 2015 and won't be as good as the first because it will have a different director Tetsurō Araki doesn't do second seasons
8121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / qtπ
Offline
Posted 12/7/13 , edited 12/7/13

Orga777 wrote:

Guys are flipping out quite a bit here... First off, all he said is that the ending is not going to be as traumatically devastating as originally planned. That does NOT mean that some of the main characters or what not will not bite the dust at a later point. It just means that it isn't going to be set as "everything is hopeless and the last glimmer of hope dies off too."


If you think we're upset because people aren't dying, then you haven't been paying attention. The man is changing his story conclusion because of the presumed feelings of fans of an adaptation of said story. Not only is it stupid and unfair to himself and his fans, it's left him in a corner that he will have to force himself out of, almost certainly producing a poor ending in the process.


Those types of endings make everything pointless to begin with. Might as well of just killed everyone in the first chapter at that point and saved everyone the trouble. XD


I wholeheartedly disagree on that statement. But that's a matter of opinion.


And who is to say that all the huge following and what-not got him more involved in his own story and he started to LIKE his characters enough to NOT want to see them all die and/or fail miserably at the end now? Personally, it is not going to be a standard "happy ending" or what ever people are thinking from this at all. I guarantee it will be VERY bitter-sweet and something more akin to the ending Madoka Magica and the like. There WILL be prices to pay, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few main characters die near the end.


Did you read the interview? It had nothing to do with him "liking" his characters. He's changing his story to pander to fans of the anime adaptation. That's what he said, paraphrasing of course; "pander" generally has a negative connotation and probably wouldn't be used like that in an interview. But that is what he is doing. People aren't upset because they aren't receiving a super grimdark ending, and people won't be happy just because you think he'll change it into a Madoka-esque ending. The point is that he deviated from his original plan for the series, and not because he wanted to, but because he was afraid of what others would think.

That's just stupid.
28100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/13 , edited 12/7/13

kdroberts
If you think we're upset because people aren't dying, then you haven't been paying attention. The man is changing his story conclusion because of the presumed feelings of fans of an adaptation of said story. Not only is it stupid and unfair to himself and his fans, it's left him in a corner that he will have to force himself out of, almost certainly producing a poor ending in the process.


Now we cannot know for sure the ending will be inherently bad until it comes out. That is something we will need to wait and see to know for sure. You could be right, of course, but we will never know. It could have been that the original ending would have been bad itself or even worse in execution for all we know.


Did you read the interview? It had nothing to do with him "liking" his characters. He's changing his story to pander to fans of the anime adaptation. That's what he said, paraphrasing of course; "pander" generally has a negative connotation and probably wouldn't be used like that in an interview. But that is what he is doing. People aren't upset because they aren't receiving a super grimdark ending, and people won't be happy just because you think he'll change it into a Madoka-esque ending. The point is that he deviated from his original plan for the series, and not because he wanted to, but because he was afraid of what others would think.

That's just stupid.


It is also fair to think that way. It would have been better if he never said anything about it of course, and I do agree that catering to the fans can have a disastrous result, but I will withhold judgement till I see for myself at the end. As long as the ending isn't completely out of nowhere and has a believable progression story-wise, it really should not be a problem if it changed from the original intent. All I am really saying is, give the guy some credit. He seems to be a competent writer at the very least. However, I have not started the manga yet (will be jumping on that wagon within a week) so I guess my opinion can change if I notice any real problems with the story.
27504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 12/7/13
I just hope my favorite characters don't die.
11751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 12/7/13
Well, fans of Gurren Lagann (as far as I can tell) turned out fine after (spoiler for episode 8)

I personally think that he should stick with his original ending. As much as I would like something happy to happen to the characters, I just think that the series as a whole doesn't fit with the idea. A traumatizing ending would be more fitting for the series, in my opinion.
Although, if he truly wants to make his fans happy, he could do both endings: the traumatizing one and the not-so-traumatizing one. That way both sides of the fanbase would be happy. ^_^
Plus, I'm REALLY curious as to how he was planning to end it originally.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/7/13

saksiss wrote:

I just hope my favorite characters don't die.


And who would those be?
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/7/13

uncletim wrote:

you have a long wait 2nd season isn't coming out until 2015 and won't be as good as the first because it will have a different director Tetsurō Araki doesn't do second seasons



Huh? Where did you hear that?
27504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 12/7/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


saksiss wrote:

I just hope my favorite characters don't die.


And who would those be?


Not sure I want to say, because people will start saying things like they will most likely die or something.
4995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/13
I don't think many people know that Sasha was suppose to die in chapter 36 & Hajime changed it of course & what did we got from that ? a great flashback along with character development & is one of my favorite chapters today , looking back at it I think it was for the better .

He's been evolving this for quite some time not just now , at least that's how I'm seeing it , IMO he only wants to make a better ending , we can't start judging until we see how the story keeps developing & ends , but so far I think it's going great .

either way it's make or break .
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/7/13

dreamingreality2 wrote:

I don't think many people know that Sasha was suppose to die in chapter 36 & Hajime changed it of course & what did we got from that ? a great flashback along with character development & is one of my favorite chapters today , looking back at it I think it was for the better .

He's been evolving this for quite some time not just now , at least that's how I'm seeing it , IMO he only wants to make a better ending , we can't start judging until we see how the story keeps developing & ends , but so far I think it's going great .

either way it's make or break .



I remember that. You're right about far as right now because we still have a while until the end of the series. Things seem terrible now but I have to at least wait until the story progress.
4995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/13

qualeshia3 wrote:


dreamingreality2 wrote:

I don't think many people know that Sasha was suppose to die in chapter 36 & Hajime changed it of course & what did we got from that ? a great flashback along with character development & is one of my favorite chapters today , looking back at it I think it was for the better .

He's been evolving this for quite some time not just now , at least that's how I'm seeing it , IMO he only wants to make a better ending , we can't start judging until we see how the story keeps developing & ends , but so far I think it's going great .

either way it's make or break .



I remember that. You're right about far as right now because we still have a while until the end of the series. Things seem terrible now but I have to at least wait until the story progress.


Well , I'm liking how things are going so far , but that's just a mater of opinion , I just hope Hajime comes with a better ending that he originally had thought .

42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/7/13


I-I agree/like your opinion.
4451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/8/13
Shingeki no Kyojin Mangaka: “I Dumped Its Shocking Ending
The full article with interview.

Shingeki no Kyojin fans may be in for a far less shocking time than they bargained for – creator Hajime Isayama has revealed he has dumped the “traumatic” ending he planned from the start and now has no idea how it will end, saying that upsetting fans of the anime version with a shocking ending where everyone dies would be “criminal.”

The recent interview with Shingeki no Kyojin mangaka Hajime Isayama was most notable for containing an admission that he is now “lost” as to how the story will end after dumping the shocking ending he has planned so as not to upset all the anime fans.

It also proved notable for providing an unusually clear photograph of the mangaka himself, and the revelation that after he started playing the eroge Muvluv and was so impressed with its SF storyline that he concedes it was a major influence on him.

Concerning the ending:

The ending – you’ve said publicly that you had a specific ending for Shingeki envisioned from the start. You’re wavering with regard to that?

The plot is pretty loose, there have been new elements added, and some characters have come to life in a really unexpected way.

So the story came to life on its own, and may now get a different ending to the one you had planned from the start?

Right.

That’s a huge change. I read all your interviews to date and I came to think you had some unbelievably traumatic mega-ending all planned out.

I’m at a loss with respect to that. At first it was going to be a traumatic ending. Like in the movie ‘Mist’ where everyone dies, I wanted to do something like that.

Looking at all the fans who have come to support Shingeki by way of the anime, doing a criminal thing like that to them is just not something I can do, so I can’t really think that was what I really wanted in the first place.

Ohhhh…

I’m really lost, aren’t I?


The suspicion that the the franchise’s sudden and titanic success has caused mangaka or publisher to rapidly switch tack and drag it out into a latter day Bleach which can milked for decades to come has been voiced – as has some curiosity about the plot’s now obvious similarities to Muvluv

Source is sankakucomplex.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.