First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
drift or not
2051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Costa Rica, San Jose
Offline
Posted 4/7/08

pookie052606 wrote:


ank59 wrote:

drift make you gain more control of the car and save gas. But actually is danger if you are not master of drift because it can shut down the engine


In terms of whether drifting or grip is faster around a turn, I'm pretty fuel economy isn't really going to be a huge concern because it is going to be a race after all...
And I don't really get how drift gives you more control being that you constantly have to be in control in a grip turn.


well that is true in the part of the fuel, if is a race the last thing you would concern about.
It give you more control the car because you can make the engine work at 100%
1491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Nebraska
Offline
Posted 4/7/08

ank59 wrote:


pookie052606 wrote:


ank59 wrote:

drift make you gain more control of the car and save gas. But actually is danger if you are not master of drift because it can shut down the engine


In terms of whether drifting or grip is faster around a turn, I'm pretty fuel economy isn't really going to be a huge concern because it is going to be a race after all...
And I don't really get how drift gives you more control being that you constantly have to be in control in a grip turn.


well that is true in the part of the fuel, if is a race the last thing you would concern about.
It give you more control the car because you can make the engine work at 100%


Your engine has to work at 100% regardless for a race...
By definition of percentage of operation here, I would assume that if your engine was working at like 50% then you're running on half the amount of cylinders...if thats the case...why prep it for a race?
At any part of open throttle, if the engine is reacting...its working...
And for it to be prepped to race, then I'm pretty sure it'd be tuned to where it's least likely to ping, detonate, knock or miss.
2051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Costa Rica, San Jose
Offline
Posted 4/7/08



my bad... I said it wrong, is that you will be able to use the engine to its full capasity... because on automatic even it is by a little, it has a limit, the time on chaging speed...
But normally racer use automatics because is safer.
If its on a race I would probaly use the automatic insted of drift, but if is not on race i still prefer drifting one. It is all depend the way you are use to drive.
1942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 4/7/08

pookie052606 wrote:


ank59 wrote:

drift make you gain more control of the car and save gas. But actually is danger if you are not master of drift because it can shut down the engine


In terms of whether drifting or grip is faster around a turn, I'm pretty fuel economy isn't really going to be a huge concern because it is going to be a race after all...
And I don't really get how drift gives you more control being that you constantly have to be in control in a grip turn.


It depends on what kind of racing you do. Time attacks, AutoX, etc, no need for fuel economy. JGTC, Le Mans, NASCAR, is where fuel economy plays a big role. The 787b that won the early 90s 24 hour Le Mans was banned because of it's fuel advantage. Ironic that a rotary which has the worst MPG rating among productions cars has the best among Le Mans? The diesel-powered Audi R10 has been limited because of it's monstrous power and fuel economy. Sadly it's not restricted enough to level the playing field.
141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Pekin Illinois
Offline
Posted 4/7/08
Drift i would love to Drift!!!!
1491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Nebraska
Offline
Posted 4/7/08

revolutionofone wrote:


pookie052606 wrote:


ank59 wrote:

drift make you gain more control of the car and save gas. But actually is danger if you are not master of drift because it can shut down the engine


In terms of whether drifting or grip is faster around a turn, I'm pretty fuel economy isn't really going to be a huge concern because it is going to be a race after all...
And I don't really get how drift gives you more control being that you constantly have to be in control in a grip turn.


It depends on what kind of racing you do. Time attacks, AutoX, etc, no need for fuel economy. JGTC, Le Mans, NASCAR, is where fuel economy plays a big role. The 787b that won the early 90s 24 hour Le Mans was banned because of it's fuel advantage. Ironic that a rotary which has the worst MPG rating among productions cars has the best among Le Mans? The diesel-powered Audi R10 has been limited because of it's monstrous power and fuel economy. Sadly it's not restricted enough to level the playing field.


Yeah when I typed out that reply, I was more or less thinking in terms of like drift competitions and Time attacks. I do understand that NASCAR rely heavily on their ability to stay way from the pit area. Aha.
1491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Nebraska
Offline
Posted 4/7/08

ank59 wrote:




my bad... I said it wrong, is that you will be able to use the engine to its full capasity... because on automatic even it is by a little, it has a limit, the time on chaging speed...
But normally racer use automatics because is safer.
If its on a race I would probaly use the automatic insted of drift, but if is not on race i still prefer drifting one. It is all depend the way you are use to drive.


Automatic? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to get at.
As far as operating at full capacity...the transmission I don't think plays a major role in an engine being able to run at full capacity. I mean, its either running or its not...
Now as for the highest distribution of engine output to the wheels, then yeah...through manual transmission is where you're going to lose the least amount of horsepower.
733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / MJC
Offline
Posted 4/7/08
DRIFT!
5352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/9/08

Drifting, it's the best because when you drift, your car end up in an angle that is similar to aircraft wings, that produce a lift on the side of the car that faces toward the corner, so the car is actually sucked toward the corner as it corner, it also allow for less drag.

Here's a diagram



lift pulls the car toward the corner
794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Everywhere.......
Offline
Posted 4/9/08
drift
189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 4/9/08
I think four tire drifting (not very showy at all) is technically fastest, but very difficult. There might be some times when a slight drift can let you take an advantageous line, but it is almost always slower than grip driving. Of course, in a race, you will lose time if you drift but you can sometimes shoot past a car, and drift to block them behind you. Of course on dirt and snow it can save time if done right
Posted 4/10/08
i like to chill drive...if i get a urge to get sideways ill just go to a parking lot and put the steelies on, haha, iv been reading kids saying that drifting is easy and shit..ill like to c u kids try it...haha kids..this days...
39 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Miami. Fl
Offline
Posted 4/10/08

240sx-mayn wrote:

i like to chill drive...if i get a urge to get sideways ill just go to a parking lot and put the steelies on, haha, iv been reading kids saying that drifting is easy and shit..ill like to c u kids try it...haha kids..this days...


haha word on that..every 240 needs to have the steelies in the garage!!! lol when i first got my s14 it had steelies lol
2980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / underwater with b...
Offline
Posted 4/10/08
i dont think driftin is faster it looks better but i say grip is faster but i prefer drift but takes long time to learn
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.