First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Using Examples
20259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
First off I'd like to admit I am guilty of this very thing.

Okay, lets get started.

As I am trolling, ahem, I mean browsing the forums, I see many many examples being used, and this isn't the only place. Everywhere you go in the world, people are using examples.

It seems that examples have become an integral part of any debate and/or argument. Think about it, you use examples when debating politics, you use examples in debating religion, you use examples to fight with your girlfriend...hell I'm using examples to show you that you use examples. Rofl

Ok joking aside, why do we feel the need to use examples? Do they better describe what we're talking about? Well, no, I wouldn't say 'better' but they usually make our ideas more easily understood. In a sense, we sacrificed accuracy for the ability to convey ideas. Why do I say this? Because no matter what example you use, it will never be able to express exactly what your idea actually is with 100% accuracy.

While of course, there exists both good examples and bad examples. Good examples will get the idea across pretty accurately, but bad examples are just horrible. The problem is its hard to spot a bad example, because you dont know what the guy is talking about. You are using his example to try to understand what he is talking about, and if he used a bad example, misunderstandings are in store for both of you.

So I implore you, crollers, beware the use of horrible examples, they will make your post look prettier and more convincing, but they wont advance the debate and will most likely just get people frustrated.
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
It's quite simple, really... you can never expect someone to see things 100% from your point-of-view, simply because they aren't you. The use of examples convey the message across personal differences and can turn an abstract idea or thought into a concrete one.

And concrete ideas are much more "palpable", as you can tinker around with the idea and more or less share opinions and views. Basically, it's about "getting the message across", and the vehicle used is examples.

As for accuracy, I believe it's negligible so long as you use, as you said, a "good" example. Of course, it's difficult to put steadfast rules as to what a good example is, but basically it should encapsulate the idea, and not cause confusion or contradiction. Note, this is at the very least.


But I believe examples aren't simply spoken. They can be in the form of mannerisms, gestures, poses ~ basically anything that directs your speech towards what it is you mean. In fact, communicating is a very demonstrative action, and that implies the presence of examples to make things as clear as possible.



As to why many people use bad examples is beyond me... The choice of examples to use, of course, can be a matter of preference. I could say I would have preferred this example, over another, but that's just a matter of taste. In the end, it's just about getting the message across.
20259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/28/08

edsamac wrote:

It's quite simple, really... you can never expect someone to see things 100% from your point-of-view, simply because they aren't you. The use of examples convey the message across personal differences and can turn an abstract idea or thought into a concrete one.

And concrete ideas are much more "palpable", as you can tinker around with the idea and more or less share opinions and views. Basically, it's about "getting the message across", and the vehicle used is examples.

As for accuracy, I believe it's negligible so long as you use, as you said, a "good" example. Of course, it's difficult to put steadfast rules as to what a good example is, but basically it should encapsulate the idea, and not cause confusion or contradiction. Note, this is at the very least.


But I believe examples aren't simply spoken. They can be in the form of mannerisms, gestures, poses ~ basically anything that directs your speech towards what it is you mean. In fact, communicating is a very demonstrative action, and that implies the presence of examples to make things as clear as possible.



As to why many people use bad examples is beyond me... The choice of examples to use, of course, can be a matter of preference. I could say I would have preferred this example, over another, but that's just a matter of taste. In the end, it's just about getting the message across.


Also, to add to this, make sure the examples you use are actually true.

Nothing comes from citing the sky is purple. =.=

^(That would be an example of a bad example).....(this is hurting my head) -.-
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 1/28/08

excalion wrote:

Also, to add to this, make sure the examples you use are actually true.

Nothing comes from citing the sky is purple. =.=

^(That would be an example of a bad example).....(this is hurting my head) -.-


Examples don't necessarily have to be true. They should be Logical, but not necessarily true.

Examples of examples (okay... confusion right there... ) that aren't necessarily true are Hypothetical examples. Though some people think these are very lofty examples, they actually work pretty well ~ and most of the time, our examples are hypothetical to begin with.
20259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/28/08

edsamac wrote:


excalion wrote:

Also, to add to this, make sure the examples you use are actually true.

Nothing comes from citing the sky is purple. =.=

^(That would be an example of a bad example).....(this is hurting my head) -.-


Examples don't necessarily have to be true. They should be Logical, but not necessarily true.

Examples of examples (okay... confusion right there... ) that aren't necessarily true are Hypothetical examples. Though some people think these are very lofty examples, they actually work pretty well ~ and most of the time, our examples are hypothetical to begin with.


Ok I should clarify:

In a discussion debating what is the most awesomest color, if someone were to say,

"I think purple is teh bestest color because its the color of teh sky."

That would be a bad example. =.=...wait no
That would be an example of a hypothetical bad example.
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 1/28/08

excalion wrote:

Ok I should clarify:

In a discussion debating what is the most awesomest color, if someone were to say,

"I think purple is teh bestest color because its the color of teh sky."

That would be a bad example. =.=...wait no
That would be an example of a hypothetical bad example.


That's not even hypothetical, that's retarded.

Examples simply have to make sense... they don't need to be true. Many of the examples I use (and many comedians) have popular figures pitted in given situations. Based on their cultural standing, it's amusing to see them used in examples, because it drives home a point.


For example: "You, telling me to quit smoking is like me telling George Bush to quit being so stupid."

Of course, this is hypothetical, and clearly not very defendable... but the point is driven across, based on the pop cultural understanding of George Bush. It's a contextual example, regardless of whether or not it contains certain fallacies.
20259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/28/08

edsamac wrote:


excalion wrote:

Ok I should clarify:

In a discussion debating what is the most awesomest color, if someone were to say,

"I think purple is teh bestest color because its the color of teh sky."

That would be a bad example. =.=...wait no
That would be an example of a hypothetical bad example.


That's not even hypothetical, that's retarded.

Examples simply have to make sense... they don't need to be true. Many of the examples I use (and many comedians) have popular figures pitted in given situations. Based on their cultural standing, it's amusing to see them used in examples, because it drives home a point.


For example: "You, telling me to quit smoking is like me telling George Bush to quit being so stupid."

Of course, this is hypothetical, and clearly not very defendable... but the point is driven across, based on the pop cultural understanding of George Bush. It's a contextual example, regardless of whether or not it contains certain fallacies.


lol ok I see your point now. lemme rephrase then.

You are allowed to use untrue examples in:
Acidic satire and
Blatant sarcasm.

=o XD
7718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / Florida, US
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
Examples are vital to keep our civilization going. Examples can range from "I want to get a nose job because Sally got one and is always smiling now" to citing a legal case a few years back as the premise for your legal argument to giving an example of riding a bicycle to teach someone.

Examples clarify things or provide a premise that can be readily agreed upon.

Just because some people make bad examples doesn't mean that examples are bad. It's like trying to get rid of education because there are some kids who don't do well in school or some of them aren't smart. That doesn't mean we should stop educating children. (btw. this was an example)

No matter what exists, nothing is ever going to be perfect.
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 1/28/08
For example...

The difference between a good and bad example is this:

A good example makes you understand
A bad one doesn't :P

Woo at my logic! *dramatic pose while striking the hand in the sky*

^ good example at being cheesy
20259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/28/08

AHTL wrote:

For example...

The difference between a good and bad example is this:

A good example makes you understand
A bad one doesn't :P

Woo at my logic! *dramatic pose while striking the hand in the sky*

^ good example at being cheesy


hahahaha nice, your posts always crack me up.

Btw, this is an example of using humor in examples, more people should use it.
8990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / Ronald McDonald's...
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
You missed to point out one vital part of using examples, apart from allowing to switch from your particular viewpoint to a more general or more commonly well understood thought, it also has the benefit of taking something from subjective to a more neutral platform. (and I guess by this I mean good examples. Whatever your subject is, it would only be another example in a different debate, so the trick is to choose an example that is not as subjective as your own viewpoint of course, but has similar patterns. By reducing things to patterns you abstract the essence of an argument (sometimes D:) )

Allowing a debate to "take a break" on a more neutral viewpoint that all the different partakers of a discussion with their different viewpoints can comprehend, you opened up a basis for understanding/ helped to open your counterparts in an argument to a wider understanding... About the accuracy I'm not sure, I said something about essence and patterns earlier...I believe...Of course an example is not THE EXACT thing you are discussing, but then again it's often the best way to go (especially in heated discussions with lots of unrational arguments flying around) to reduce things to their dry bones. >.> Or do it the other way and help undermine an irrational argument with a confusing example! You win!

My post might have not made sense, but
604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
i dont see the big debate about examples. it's not a big deal. if you have a point to make that would need to use them go for it. if you dont need to, dont. you shouldn't use them just for the sake of it.
4512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / F / SMILY♥LAND
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
I think we use examples because it makes the other person understand more about the situation. O_O Even if a person doesn't get 100% of the idea, I'm pretty sure they would at least under 50% of it. Examples help me a lot so I like examples. ^^v
1140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36
Offline
Posted 1/28/08
examples is like an informal work cited, it proves the person's argument is credible.
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 1/28/08

redmecha wrote:

examples is like an informal work cited, it proves the person's argument is credible.


Thank you!

I was going to say that but when I returned to my computer to write it I had forgotten all about it Q_Q


By using examples you go to a common ground where the person you're showing the example to probably has experience, knowledge that makes him understand your example.


Hmm.. Hope I didn't repeat anyone now... ¬_¬
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.