First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Why do people hate longer anime shows?
Posted 12/10/13 , edited 12/10/13
This is why I hated all the TV shows of the 90's. Sure, there were some that I liked enough to tolerate, but the fact of the matter was that all the good TV shows was never given a proper ending--- you know, just in case they wanted to launch the show back up again, and again, and again. So basically, there was no plot, no development, no nothing. It was like watching The Lord of the Rings without Sauron's presence or Sauron's ring, or like watching Frodo walk in a circle at home for a thousand episodes instead of trying to reach Mount Doom.

This is also why I hate waiting for the release of the next episode. I prefer to wait until all the episodes have been released, and then watch it all in one go. Because when I watch it, I watch it for the story, to immerse myself. If I'm not going to do that, then I might as well stare at a wall, watch paint peel, grass grow, or TV shows like Paradise Lost. Or, when it comes to anime, only watch fillers.

So, yeah, you could ask yourself that: Why don't people like fillers? And you would get to the same conclusion, that people don't like fillers because it interferes with and divert from the story. Imagine watching a movie at the movie theater and get interrupted a hundred times in a row by the guy who sits in front of you, or by advertisement. It's annoying.
Posted 12/10/13
Idk

I love long shows. Also prefer TV shows to movies.

I do love short films and short stories. And. I love Aesop's fables; they're mostly 1 or 2 paragraphs
14436 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / アビス
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
I like longer shows too. 50+ is good with me, however there is too long such as one peice which ill never get into. I loved bleach until the last arc though and shippuden is getting better as it progresses
2380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/10/13 , edited 12/10/13
To be honest, I find most of the excuses for hating long series to be ridiculous. They often fall into generalizations, saying that all, or even majority of the shows are one way, when there are only few that are like that. That's like making the generalization that all 24 epsidoe series are as poorly written as Sword Art Online.

Secondly, if you know there are fillers and you don't like watching them, why not simply skip them? Would it kill you to miss an episode that you don't even want to watch in the first place? Kind of makes me think of someone jumping into a pool, then complaining that they got wet. Also, filler does not automatically mean bad. There are fillers in series that are far more enjoyable and better written than entire 24 episode series, like the G8 arc in One Piece.

Thirdly, unless your life is going to end within the next year, I don't see how 'not enough time' is a truly viable answer. For a series that's 300 episodes, if you watch even just a single episode a day, you'll be caught up before a year ends.
And no one forces you to just watch 1 series either. You can watch short series alongside the long one, just like I'm sure no one watches only one show on TV. Why take that mentality into watching anime?

The way people complain makes it sound like someone is holding a gun to their head to force them to watch fillers, or only 1 series at a time. That tells me that a lot of people just dismiss long shows out of ignorance (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as it doesn't continue). There are short series that are just as guilty of faults like declining in quality & being inconclusive, but with less merits than longer ones.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

awesomeness2134 wrote:

If that's the case then I'd think Naruto would be the bigger culprit, you can cut out more than 100 episodes of Shipuddenn if you remove the fillers, you can cut out like...a total of 40 or so for Bleach. But longer story arcs usually have more story as well as shows have different paces.


Wasn't this the original reason why anime shows started having Abridged series made after them?
3318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / REALITY
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
I agree with ur pointzzzz,,,,,,,, bt here's my view of it,,,,,,, I ws lazy 2 evn strt with naruto bt once I got a hand of it I really LOVE it....... so itz worth a try ya'knw.......
1341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
I don't mind longer anime series, though I do object to those which have too many clip shows or filler episodes - I've seen some series like Doki Doki School Days where nearly half the episodes were filler that had nothing to do with the main story. One of the worst offenders is Dragon Ball Z, where Goku does nothing for two or three episodes but grunting and making faces like he is severely constipatated, in order to power up for a battle which, once it occurs, is over in two seconds. The worst, though, is Angelic Layer where they padded the battles and story lines out to achieve 24 episodes and in doing so they abandon the story from the manga. Some shows like Bleach and One Piece hold no interest for me not because they are long, but because they are awful. On the other hand, I am really enjoying the Monogatari series, even though it long and contains filler "clip shows" because the art is beautiful and the story and characters are interesting.
71506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / オランダ
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
Anyway, I love longer Anime shows, but the short ones aren't bad either, take for example.. Angel beas and Code Geass {Okay, Code Geass has 50 episodes} But I consider that short since I can finish that in like... 2/3 days or so.

Soo... I like longer Anime shows more than most of the short ones.
15327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

SeraphRaph wrote:

To be honest, I find most of the excuses for hating long series to be ridiculous. They often fall into generalizations, saying that all, or even majority of the shows are one way, when there are only few that are like that. That's like making the generalization that all 24 epsidoe series are as poorly written as Sword Art Online.

Secondly, if you know there are fillers and you don't like watching them, why not simply skip them? Would it kill you to miss an episode that you don't even want to watch in the first place? Kind of makes me think of someone jumping into a pool, then complaining that they got wet. Also, filler does not automatically mean bad. There are fillers in series that are far more enjoyable and better written than entire 24 episode series, like the G8 arc in One Piece.

Thirdly, unless your life is going to end within the next year, I don't see how 'not enough time' is a truly viable answer. For a series that's 300 episodes, if you watch even just a single episode a day, you'll be caught up before a year ends.
And no one forces you to just watch 1 series either. You can watch short series alongside the long one, just like I'm sure no one watches only one show on TV. Why take that mentality into watching anime?

The way people complain makes it sound like someone is holding a gun to their head to force them to watch fillers, or only 1 series at a time. That tells me that a lot of people just dismiss long shows out of ignorance (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as it doesn't continue). There are short series that are just as guilty of faults like declining in quality & being inconclusive, but with less merits than longer ones.


300 episodes is the equivalent to 25 series that last only one season. I am currently watching around 10 simulcasts and trying to finish off another 3 or 4 older series when I have free time, watching an episode or two every other weekend. If I stopped watching all the other anime I watch, then yes I could catch up. The problem is, I like simulcasts. I like discussing last week's episode with other people, for the most part. If I quit watching just the older series (an average of 1 episode a week), it would take me 5 or 6 years to watch 300 episodes. For me, when a series gets that big, it becomes intimidating. There are also plenty of good series that I missed the first time that I'd have to give up.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

love2crunchrolledanimes wrote:

I agree with ur pointzzzz,,,,,,,, bt here's my view of it,,,,,,, I ws lazy 2 evn strt with naruto bt once I got a hand of it I really LOVE it....... so itz worth a try ya'knw.......


Wow, I haven't seen this form of dialect in a forum in a long time.

Let me see:
bt wy wen therez lyk soooo many animez,,, bzy wit life n stuffs......
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

HauAreWe wrote:


love2crunchrolledanimes wrote:

I agree with ur pointzzzz,,,,,,,, bt here's my view of it,,,,,,, I ws lazy 2 evn strt with naruto bt once I got a hand of it I really LOVE it....... so itz worth a try ya'knw.......


Wow, I haven't seen this form of dialect in a forum in a long time.

Let me see:
bt wy wen therez lyk soooo many animez,,, bzy wit life n stuffs......


Damn I haven't gotten a headache reading forums in awhile.......



As for the topic....


It's not that I "hate" longer anime shows... it's just I don't want to spend the time trying to catch up to the current episodes (if they are still running). A lot of people tell me :: Well just watch an episode or two a week you'll catch up. Well yeah... in like 5+ years maybe...

Now I don't mind watching a series AS it grows... like Dragonball/Z I watched all of that because I grew up watching it, I remembered to watch each episode as it came out... I tried going back recently to rewatch it, made it like 10 episodes in before quitting because of the staggering amount of episodes for me.

It's why I won't go back to watch all of Naruto, or Bleach, or One Piece, or whatever else because I just don't want to spend the time doing it.

Now if some new show started up, and I fell in love with it, and it eventually became a big series like Naruto or Bleach, if I kept up with it week to week as it grew I would probably be fine if it hit hundreds of episodes.
Posted 12/10/13
I don't... Every anime that I watch I don't want to end.. If they do end.. I am veryyyy sad..
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
I think people hate long animes because of filler. But, filler isn't a problem if you keep a robust selection of anime to watch at all times. So while a long anime may be off on a filler arc you don't care for, you have several animes to watch in its stead until it returns to the main story. Alot of people don't like making the long open-ended commitment, either. You'll never see plenty of other animes because long ones taking up your time and there's no guarantee it will ever come to a final conclusion.

Still, as a fan of longer animes, I say that the pros outweigh the cons on long runners. Like the OP said, they are long for a reason. It's because they are great. Some of my favorite moments of all time come from animes like HxH, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. They are also guaranteed to have some of the best characters because it's the characters that keep people coming back.

I feel sorry for people who have no idea who Luffy, Natsu, Zaraki Kenpachi, Killua, Hisoka, Kurapika, Zoro, Vegeta, Jiraiya or Rock Lee are. That's a MASSIVE hole in your anime experience right there.
61628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
I don't hate long series. I hate poor pacing, fillers, lack of conclusions, stretching out stories, and the beating of dead horses.

one thing I especially hate is when people say "it takes 100 episodes, but (insert series here) gets really good!" so, why would I watch that series for 100 episodes, when I can just watch 8 other short series that are really good from start to finish?
17388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
Personally, I think that to tell ANY story, it doesn't require more than 100 episodes. I am reluctant to watch anything with over 25 episodes, but there are notable series with over 50 episodes that are AMAZING. These shows are amazing because they do one thing, avoid filler. Brotherhood is fantastic because every episode is relevant and you wouldn't get the same experience skipping any episode. Every episode is vital. Then look at the infamous Big Three where you can skip arcs and numerous episodes without missing any plot.

There's also the fact that if you start a long series you're going to be investing an immense amount of time. During that time you could have watched ten other shows, and each of those ten shows could have been better than the long series that writes itself into destruction.

To answer the question: Why do people look down on people that favor these series? The people that are infatuated with a show like Bleach for example, are infatuated because they have not seen good shows. These people are generally close-minded and against watching quality. Of course there are exceptions; however, it's a majority.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.