First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
How do you let people know you are an Anime fan without straight up telling them?
34498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
I think having accessories or t-shirt or something is a good idea. It lets me know I have something in common with that person… otherwise most likely we would never talk.
12251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
New york.
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

jenso942 wrote:

You are right

It is widely used though in many other sub-cultural communities. It's a great way to break the ice, but could lead to misconceptions for some parts. The way that you express yourself shines bright with pure intention and makes me feel great

No doubt about, that with the right intentions, it works wonders.


Thanks for this.
6853 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
I used to often read manga at school, sometimes I wear an anime backpack or shirt, or I had a bunch of totoro key chains/cell phone charms (that unfortunately have all broken over the years). If I end up talking about shows with people I will slip in an anime or two that I have been watching recently or is an all time favorite of mine. I have a cat bus coin purse I am currently using. Or I will comment on someone else's anime/manga item they have out.
23528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
By wearing my Crunchyroll T-shirt to work.
50394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
I have started many a conversation with otaku cashiers when I whip out my Pokémon wallet.

I also sometimes wear a Hetalia hat, but that typically attracts rabid fangirls... So I'd rather not.
31644 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Southaven MS, USA
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

Mico171 wrote:


Theonewiththeface wrote:

we have to wear IDs at school. I wear my Crunchyroll lanyard on my ID. :]


WHOA! I didn't even know they sold those. I'm liking the Tiger & Bunny one (Also the Brony. lol of course)

Which did you get? Or was it one with the crunchyroll logo?



Crunchyroll sent it to me free when I bought a Crunchyroll T-shirt.

7109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

Mico171 wrote:


jenso942 wrote:

You are right

It is widely used though in many other sub-cultural communities. It's a great way to break the ice, but could lead to misconceptions for some parts. The way that you express yourself shines bright with pure intention and makes me feel great

No doubt about, that with the right intentions, it works wonders.


Thanks for this.


12251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
New york.
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

dannydr12 wrote:

I usually make my computer, tablet or phone wallpaper of my fav anime character.


Me too!!! For my phone, that is.

I have a One Piece background for my Passcode screen and a Fooly cooly one for its wallpaper.

What about you?

(This is the pic of the One piece one)



otakurocklee wrote:

I think having accessories or t-shirt or something is a good idea. It lets me know I have something in common with that person… otherwise most likely we would never talk.


So true! It's helpful in the way that it creates a common ground. Whenever I see someone with a Totoro shirt I want to talk to them.


_Astraea_ wrote:

I invite them over and they see my room. lol I've got posters and other anime related stuff in there. Or if they add me on Fb they see my cosplay pictures. Awhile back I was talking to my coworker and ended up just telling her I liked anime. She thought it was so funny though because she said I didn't seem like the type to like it.


That's a great way to go about it too! What Anime posters do you have? I used to have a GTO (Great teacher Onizuka) one, but it got ripped up when I re-painted my room. Do you have Gundams? Nice Cosplay in your default btw. And heh, I get that allot too. Most people wouldn't assume I'm into anime. I've lived near my neighbor for YEARS and it was only a few weeks (or a month?) ago when he found out I liked Naruto too.


Homucifer wrote:

I don't and never would





Stonewolfe wrote:

I just straight up tell people I am a fan. Easiest way to do it for me. I have been approached a couple of times when I was reading Death Note in between classes at college, but that's about it for not straight up just telling people.

That said I don't go around announcing to the world "HEY LOOK AT ME I WATCH ANIME!!!" and I doubt anyone does.


lol I just imagined someone busting into a classroom yelling that.

I get what you're saying tho. For some; straight out saying it when the chance presents itself can be the better way.


rosevanluna wrote:

I used to often read manga at school, sometimes I wear an anime backpack or shirt, or I had a bunch of totoro key chains/cell phone charms (that unfortunately have all broken over the years). If I end up talking about shows with people I will slip in an anime or two that I have been watching recently or is an all time favorite of mine. I have a cat bus coin purse I am currently using. Or I will comment on someone else's anime/manga item they have out.


!!! I must see an image of that cat buss coin purse! I tend to see allot more people with Ghibli memorabilia then any other anime themed item. It's great! =D I've been thinking about getting a shirt custom made with the three heads from Spirited away. I saw an image of it on google search & it looks pretty cool, I think.




Mathiazdotorg wrote:

By wearing my Crunchyroll T-shirt to work.


lol ANOTHER item I didn't know they sold. (Though, now that I think about it; it makes sense that they would. pfft.)

Either way, I seriously gotta check out the store more often.


Aokidanza wrote:

I have started many a conversation with otaku cashiers when I whip out my Pokémon wallet.

I also sometimes wear a Hetalia hat, but that typically attracts rabid fangirls... So I'd rather not.


I'm just saying. If I were a cashier, I'd make the people behind you wait in line while we talked about which Pokemon is best.

(It's PIDGEY. ಠ_ಠ)



50394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 12/10/13 , edited 12/10/13

Mico171 wrote:


Aokidanza wrote:

I have started many a conversation with otaku cashiers when I whip out my Pokémon wallet.

I also sometimes wear a Hetalia hat, but that typically attracts rabid fangirls... So I'd rather not.


I'm just saying. If I were a cashier, I'd make the people behind you wait in line while we talked about which Pokemon is best.

(It's PIDGEY. ಠ_ಠ)





Chikorita.
16041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / somehwere in the...
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

Mico171 wrote:


laviriot13 wrote:

walk around with anime/manga stuff (ex. clothing, messenger bags, sit there reading manga, etc).

when I was in college, my roommate and I were in separate companies, and her company was having a room inspection. I stood there and watched as they were looking at my desk. a full grown man turned to me asking me "ARE YOU AN OTAKU?!?!?!?!?!" and pointed to the manga that I had on my shelf. I nodded, and I became friend's with my roomie's company commander in an instant. made us all LOL


LOL your roommates company commander sounds awesome! It's funny how you can find Anime fans during the moments you least expect to. Just the other day I found out my Science professor is a fan of Inuyasha because of his T-shirt. It makes me love that class so much more


my roomie was a southern belle, so she wasn't into all the stuff I was. so when her CO appeared and started asking me what was my favorite anime, she stood there looking confused as hell. my own company was full of otakus, but it was interesting finding out interest of others outside my own ^.^
25695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Universe :0
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
Showcasing it in anyway possible. Shirts, bags, books. All good ideas. I'd say shirt is the best. It is for me.
2791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
I have pre-timeskip Trafalgar Law's sweater that I wear pretty often, fellow nerds greet me randomly on the street all the time cause of it and people who have no idea what One Piece is still finds it cool, I don't tell them where it's from unless they ask though.
12251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
New york.
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

Aokidanza wrote:


Mico171 wrote:


Aokidanza wrote:

I have started many a conversation with otaku cashiers when I whip out my Pokémon wallet.

I also sometimes wear a Hetalia hat, but that typically attracts rabid fangirls... So I'd rather not.


I'm just saying. If I were a cashier, I'd make the people behind you wait in line while we talked about which Pokemon is best.

(It's PIDGEY. ಠ_ಠ)





Chikorita.




1230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
Simple, I just make these weird Anime faces when a WTF moment happens.
Bavalt 
22031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
I... don't. If I know someone's nerdy like myself, I'll throw out a reference once in a while and see if they catch it. Otherwise, I don't really make my interests known. I'd hazard to say that I have fewer friends than I could if I made my interests more visible, but I don't like attracting attention in the first place, and the friends that I have are enough for me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.