Post Reply Spam on forum / comment sections
22583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 12/10/13
Lately there has been a lot of automated bots registering on CR and spamming our forum threads and even the news comment sections with phishing sites. You know the ol, "I make so-and-so amount of money working from home blah blah blah" and such. These are incredibly disruptive and just, well, unpleasant to deal with.

Can you guys make some changes to the registration system to help combat these bots? They don't just hit one thread, or one news article. They hit a whole bunch simultaneously which pollutes threads / comment sections. I'm sure the moderators don't enjoy manually cleaning these up either.

Thanks.
The Wise Wizard
100941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

Striketh wrote:

Can you guys make some changes to the registration system to help combat these bots?

It would likely require a change to forum software itself, but I think requiring a user to view at least one video before being able to post to the forum would put the kibosh on most of these. Even a preview or short 3 minute anime would probably be more time than they would want to spend to be able to post.

22583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

TheAncientOne wrote:


Striketh wrote:

Can you guys make some changes to the registration system to help combat these bots?

It would likely require a change to forum software itself, but I think requiring a user to view at least one video before being able to post to the forum would put the kibosh on most of these. Even a preview or short 3 minute anime would probably be more time than they would want to spend to be able to post.



I was thinking more along the lines of a captcha system, or something else that would prove somebody was a human before their registration was activated. What they have now is definitely not doing the job, but I don't think they should force people to watch a video or anything before they register. Just the actual registration system should be modified to combat the bot spam. Shouldn't require any heavy modifications to the forum itself. Most popular forum software already have features built-in to combat bots.
The Wise Wizard
100941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

Striketh wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of a captcha system, or something else that would prove somebody was a human before their registration was activated. What they have now is definitely not doing the job, but I don't think they should force people to watch a video or anything before they register. Just the actual registration system should be modified to combat the bot spam. Shouldn't require any heavy modifications to the forum itself. Most popular forum software already have features built-in to combat bots.

To clarify, I didn't mean they should have to watch a video to register, only to post to the forum.

While it conceivable that someone might be coming to CR just to participate it the forums, it seems more likely they would be coming to watch anime or drama, so it doesn't seem like an undue burden.


Captcha input is relatively easy to get around.

One method is to farm out the work: Put up a site with some free stuff people would want (pirated shows, software, porn, etc.), but require users to enter a captcha, and just mirror the one from the site you are targeting and send the entered solution back to the target site.

Posted 12/10/13

Striketh wrote:

Lately there has been a lot of automated bots registering on CR and spamming our forum threads and even the news comment sections with phishing sites. You know the ol, "I make so-and-so amount of money working from home blah blah blah" and such. These are incredibly disruptive and just, well, unpleasant to deal with.

Can you guys make some changes to the registration system to help combat these bots? They don't just hit one thread, or one news article. They hit a whole bunch simultaneously which pollutes threads / comment sections. I'm sure the moderators don't enjoy manually cleaning these up either.

Thanks.


Its been in the works and in discussion for a while behind the curtain. Trust me.
22583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 12/10/13

Csgod0 wrote:


Striketh wrote:

Lately there has been a lot of automated bots registering on CR and spamming our forum threads and even the news comment sections with phishing sites. You know the ol, "I make so-and-so amount of money working from home blah blah blah" and such. These are incredibly disruptive and just, well, unpleasant to deal with.

Can you guys make some changes to the registration system to help combat these bots? They don't just hit one thread, or one news article. They hit a whole bunch simultaneously which pollutes threads / comment sections. I'm sure the moderators don't enjoy manually cleaning these up either.

Thanks.


Its been in the works and in discussion for a while behind the curtain. Trust me.


Good to know! I'll be glad when you guys work everything out and get the changes deployed.
Bjaker 
52773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 12/11/13


Please just continue to report as you see them as well!
That way we can take care of them!
-Baker
You must be logged in to post.