First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
What makes an anime stand out for originality?
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/14/13

smoledman wrote:

In the end there is nothing original in anime. Heck the only truly original story is Homer's Iliad.


Not even that. Everything is derived from something before it.
24739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 12/14/13

Totavo wrote:

Pretty much anything that doesn't throw tropes around to fill in for missing plot or comedy or whatever the focus is.

The one trope I hate the most is the "suggestive collision (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuggestiveCollision) if there are a lot of those in an anime I quickly forget about it unless it actually has some other redeeming value.


Oh god, I am so tired of that one! It's like the writers can't figure out another way for a couple to share their feelings. The only time I kind of liked it was in an early episode of Evangelion, where Shinji falls on a naked Rei and she has no reaction. There, it at least showed there was something inhuman about Rei and the way she acted. Most of the time it's just played for laughs and then forgotten.
37909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/14/13

Madao4life wrote:
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere was another show with plenty of fanservice, but I found it to be immensely interesting and original. One might suspect that the way they don't bother to explain the weird way characters talk or are recreating history is to blame for making the show seem original, as I was fairly clueless to what the friggin' hell was going on for a good portion of the show, but I don't think this is the case (also as a history major that may be partly to blame for why I really liked this show).


It is still my opinion that it is not coming up with something completely new that is impressive. The human experience is a repetitive one (not necessarily in a bad way, but true nonetheless). The impressive thing is being able to represent something from a perspective or in a way it has not been done before. Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere is actually a really good example. There are plenty of tropes floating around, but it's the presentation that makes it original. And fascinating and fun.



smoledman wrote:
In the end there is nothing original in anime. Heck the only truly original story is Homer's Iliad.

And even that was just a compilation of orally passed on stories and myths.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/14/13
Would there ever be a borderline between cliche and originality?
7163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 12/14/13

qualeshia3 wrote:

Would there ever be a borderline between cliche and originality?


maybe 4 years from now lol
14233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/14/13 , edited 12/14/13
Every anime is original in it's own way but also similar. But what's wrong with being cliche a little? Are books cliche because they are the same genre? What about movies? Would you consider Zombie Land for example and Walking Dead cliche because they both have a few parallels (zombies, shot in the head, bitten = infection)? Well, that's up for the viewer I suppose then. I guess the only way to break away from cliches would be to make something outrageous, like the main character is a neon green dolphin named Zumoc (randomly made that up) that uses his duel harpoon cannons to open a rift into the space time continuum to travel back in time and stop the collapse of some distant galaxy's black hole of which his people reside in and must discover himself along the way of his journey. Cliches exist because they're easy to understand, they can be very enjoyable and varied, they're easy to make, and imagination that makes sense can only take you so far. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons to but I tend to type a lot .-. Anyways.... What if you were a writer who had an incredible idea of a school oriented monster academy but because it was already cliche, he had to cancel his project and be original and start on something that may or may not work or make sense? We'd be deprived of his idea, which although it may follow a general cliche, could be very original in its own way and turn out to be very good. This is just strictly my opinion, but I don't have a problem with cliches. Just because SAO made their MMORPG anime doesn't mean someone can't out do it (Log Horizon). I support it. Welp, that's my thoughts at least.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/14/13

Ang3lOfLight wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

Would there ever be a borderline between cliche and originality?


maybe 4 years from now lol :D



Too far away from now.
EmpReb 
19926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Incoming Air Stomp
Offline
Posted 12/14/13
Psyco-Pass. I will call that very original. Yes the feel and some of the ideas have been in GITS but over all it was a trip you really didn't know how it was going to play out and had a VERY strong characters.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/14/13 , edited 12/14/13

EmpReb wrote:

Psyco-Pass. I will call that very original. Yes the feel and some of the ideas have been in GITS but over all it was a trip you really didn't know how it was going to play out and had a VERY strong characters.


It references a lot of books, at least two movies. Far from original.

Books:

Discourse on the Origin and Basis of Inequality Among Men by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Toward a Philosophy of History by José Ortega y Gasset
Economy and Society by Max Weber
Various works by William Shakespeare, such as Twelfth Night, Macbeth, Titus Andronicus, and Hamlet
Carmilla and In a Glass Darkly by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
Various William Gibson works, such as Johnny Mnemonic and the The Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive)
Pensées (Thoughts) by Blaise Pascal
The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell
An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation by Jeremy Bentham
The Republic by Plato
Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
A Revolution Sabotaged Before it Began (あらかじめ裏切られた革命) by Iwakami Yasumi
Swann's Way by Marcel Proust
The Bible (Matthew 13:24-30)
Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison by Michel Foucault
Justine by Marquis de Sade

Movies:

The Man Who Stole the Sun
The Deer Hunter

Source: http://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/3119/complete-list-of-books-read-in-psycho-pass

There could possibly be even more than the ones listed.
33359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 12/14/13 , edited 12/14/13

RolexKid wrote:


MY QUESTION:

What makes a show unique? Why do you think original anime are not as popular?


Because it contains a form of deviation that appeals your palate ---> Because what you perceive as unique and interesting may not be so to everyone else.


I was thinking the same thing



I personally don't mind cliches and I think all anime have something original in them.

my personal taste are all lighthearted, I can't enjoy something "edgy" or convoluted.
EmpReb 
19926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Incoming Air Stomp
Offline
Posted 12/14/13 , edited 12/14/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


EmpReb wrote:

Psyco-Pass. I will call that very original. Yes the feel and some of the ideas have been in GITS but over all it was a trip you really didn't know how it was going to play out and had a VERY strong characters.


It references a lot of books, at least two movies. Far from original.

Books:

Discourse on the Origin and Basis of Inequality Among Men by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Toward a Philosophy of History by José Ortega y Gasset
Economy and Society by Max Weber
Various works by William Shakespeare, such as Twelfth Night, Macbeth, Titus Andronicus, and Hamlet
Carmilla and In a Glass Darkly by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
Various William Gibson works, such as Johnny Mnemonic and the The Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive)
Pensées (Thoughts) by Blaise Pascal
The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell
An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation by Jeremy Bentham
The Republic by Plato
Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
A Revolution Sabotaged Before it Began (あらかじめ裏切られた革命) by Iwakami Yasumi
Swann's Way by Marcel Proust
The Bible (Matthew 13:24-30)
Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison by Michel Foucault
Justine by Marquis de Sade

Movies:

The Man Who Stole the Sun
The Deer Hunter

Source: http://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/3119/complete-list-of-books-read-in-psycho-pass

There could possibly be even more than the ones listed.

That practically is what makes more original. It uses all off those ideas to make it self so strong. The show as a whole is a very quinine and original feeling world. There never a TRULY original idea but the ones that seem that way usually are borrowing from the best and mixing it up to make the most with it.

52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/14/13

EmpReb wrote:

That practically is what makes more original. It uses all off those ideas to make it self so strong. The show as a whole is a very quinine and original feeling world. There never a TRULY original idea but the ones that seem that way usually are borrowing from the best and mixing it up to make the most with it.



Not really. It's been done before. The show is certainly a nice treat, but it's all been done before is what I'm getting at and thus makes it unoriginal in more ways than not.
70034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/16/13 , edited 12/16/13
If you think of an anime as a person, it feels original if it feels like you haven't met them before. You can compare similarities between tropes and main characters all day long, but in the end it comes down to the show's personality.


For example, everyone references people who came before them. We learn from our parents, our teachers, our friends, people on the news, people in our history books, etc.; we look at them and model ourselves in the knowledge they cast.

Media is similar; in a sense every piece of media is a derivative work just like every individual person is a derivative being. But no two people or pieces of media will ever be quite the same, there are too many different influences at play.

In the end I think it depends on whether or not the series is attempting to impersonate another in order to duplicate a prior success, because that feels manipulative and audiences in general are like to tag it as unoriginal.

Alternatively, a person doesn't have to cut off their nose to have a unique personality. There can be easily recognizable characteristics between shows that are, by and large, effectively irrelevant to whether or not the show is original.

But there's a catch in that we don't want our favorite shows, like our friends, to be carbon copies of one another. But we also have loose ideas of what they should be like. So if we see something that's wildly different we tend to avoid it.

So the general aim is to create something familiar enough to be reassuring, but different enough to be interesting. Which is a balance you can see in anime art styles constantly; all try to be different, but very few are truly avant-garde.

/rambles off into incoherence while muttering about bland breakfasts
14222 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / not japan [spoile...
Offline
Posted 12/16/13
Like TWGOK.
56932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 12/16/13
*thinks*

For me, the one detail that is most effective for me remembering a particular anime show long after I have watched it is great character design. Show me a character who looks notably different from other characters in the same genre, and it will likely click with me.

There are exceptions to this, though. The characters in White Album 2 could easily belong to any other high school romantic drama, but the exceptional writing on that show makes them so much more than their designs.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.