First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Steam Machine!!!
2424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 12/14/13
SteamOS was just released so WHO'S GOING TO BUILD A STEAM MACHINE!!!?

I know I was going to, until I realized that only NVIDIA cards are supported at the moment, and now I am sad.

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/
29425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Obamatown
Offline
Posted 12/14/13
I had no idea it was released. I guess I would if I didn't already have a monster of a machine haha. NVIDIA only? Really? That sucks, unless they are trying to change that I guess.

Actually maybe I'll build one with extra parts laying around and sell it
2424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 12/14/13

BlackStacey wrote:

I had no idea it was released. I guess I would if I didn't already have a monster of a machine haha. NVIDIA only? Really? That sucks, unless they are trying to change that I guess.

Actually maybe I'll build one with extra parts laying around and sell it


NVIDIA for now but Intel/AMD support coming. Shouldn't be too hard considering Steam on Linux already supports those cards (and this new OS is Linux-based).

I'll probably try to dual-boot with openSUSE once they support my video card, I guess. Although I should also try to sell (or give away) a Steam machine with all the old parts I have.
29425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Obamatown
Offline
Posted 12/14/13

carsarelittle wrote:


BlackStacey wrote:

I had no idea it was released. I guess I would if I didn't already have a monster of a machine haha. NVIDIA only? Really? That sucks, unless they are trying to change that I guess.

Actually maybe I'll build one with extra parts laying around and sell it


NVIDIA for now but Intel/AMD support coming. Shouldn't be too hard considering Steam on Linux already supports those cards (and this new OS is Linux-based).

I'll probably try to dual-boot with openSUSE once they support my video card, I guess. Although I should also try to sell (or give away) a Steam machine with all the old parts I have.


I figured they wouldn't have nvidia only. That'd be kind of weird. Yeah I might just give mine to my friend so I have a person to play games with haha
Posted 12/14/13
Don't know if you guys know this but the steam box is just a Over priced PC that can only play steam games which is a complete waste of money.
29425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Obamatown
Offline
Posted 12/14/13

Homucifer wrote:

Don't know if you guys know this but the steam box is just a Over priced PC that can only play steam games which is a complete waste of money.


I wouldn't buy one but I would make one from old parts. I don't think Steam Box is necessarily a good idea because most people that would be willing to have one or build one are probably already PC gamers so ultimately they'd have no use for a box that does less than what their computer already does. It does cost a lot less than buying a PC however so those who want to be a part of the steam community but don't have as much money to dish out for a gaming PC might be interested
44 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/15/13 , edited 12/15/13

Homucifer wrote:

Don't know if you guys know this but the steam box is just a Over priced PC that can only play steam games which is a complete waste of money.


Buying any prebuilt PC is overpriced.

Assuming SteamOS can support most major games, being linux based this is very doubtful, it could be a nice alternative for a budget gaming PC for windows. Possibly with the intent to get windows later for Dual boot.
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/20/13 , edited 12/20/13

wrote:

Don't know if you guys know this but the steam box is just a Over priced PC that can only play steam games which is a complete waste of money.


How can you say it's "over priced" if they haven't released any price details whatsoever yet?

(also saying it can only play steam games is just flat out wrong, there have already been benchmarks released for the steamOS running non-steam games, and even in the worst case scenario you can always install another OS on the system to play anything you want)

Valve isn't trying to trick anyone into thinking the steam machines are anything other than a PC. In fact, that's what other consoles are doing, the only reason you wouldn't say that any other console is "just a PC" is because they are closed systems giving you the illusion that they are something else.

Valve isn't going to be manufacturing them, that's up to other companies to do, so there is going to be a lot of different versions. Perhaps some may be overpriced, but I'm betting a lot of them will actually be good bundled hardware deals, and since they won't come pre-installed with Windows or any extra crap-ware there is no extra price tag on the system due to software.

Anyways, like I said, valve knows it's a PC, and they know you know it's a PC. They've already said they want users to be able to do whatever they want with it, make custom cases, hack it (valve's own words), upgrade it, you can even install windows on it if you like and get a mouse and keyboard and just use it like any other PC.
237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/20/13
I probably won't build a steam box because I don't really feel like having a dual boot set up to go into Windows or a Linux distro for those times where I am not going to be playing games and just want to get work done.
9046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 12/22/13
My current setup has been working good in terms of a Steam System - essentially my comp is right next to my TV, and Whenever I want to play a controller-enabled game on TV, well, boot up the TV and swap the screens, and bam!

Back to the OP comment, I agree - only supporting NVIDIA cards at first is smart in terms of development, but it definitely makes it hard for them to approach a lot of PC Gamers.
15760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Kalamazoo, MI
Offline
Posted 12/23/13
I currently do not have need of one of these, but before I bought my computer parts I thought the new "steam box" idea was cool. Imo it is really just a way to try and give console players a way to experience PC gaming without completely throwing them in.
44197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 12/28/13
My personal opinion on the steam machine is this. If I set up my windows box to boot directly into big picture you would never know the difference. However I would have more games to choose from and they would also run a lot faster.

So what I did about 6 months ago was take my old lan cube with windows 7, set it to boot straight to big picture, Hooked it to the tv and got a wireless xbox 360 controller reciever. ??? profit. It has a HD6850 and runs pretty much every game at 1080P + high settings just fine. Sprinkle in Ice (http://scottrice.github.io/Ice/) and I have a box with a nice tv interface, most console and pc games running better than any console would and for a decent price. I love it.
8653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 1/13/14
Well I personally Think this is a step in a good direction for people that aren't as computer literate as the people in this thread. I personally don't know anything about mother boards and processors so if I'm given the option of buying a machine that's guaranteed to play video games then i'll buy it over looking at different pc's specs and seeing what I need and don't need.
This is why Consol gaming is far more popular because it's simpler, you buy the consol and all you have to do is buy any game and they will all work on your system.
4215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Waterloo, Ontario
Offline
Posted 1/28/14
Who needs a Steam machine? Just install Steam onto your computer, and download some Steam games.
2024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Cebu, Philippines
Offline
Posted 4/14/14 , edited 4/14/14
I made mine which I call it Steam Box

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87N ITX
Memory: Crucial Tracer 16GB 1600mhz
Video Card: MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming Edition
Case: Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Mini ITX Case
HDD: Western Digital 1TB Black
Power Supply: Silverstone 450w SFX Bronze
SSD: Crucial M500 120GB
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gamma 200

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.