First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Why do they love/like or dislike/hate your favorite or least favorite?
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/16/13




Nothing bad and yet nothing good.......just interesting.
Do you not like being interesting?
14233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/16/13
I HATE Sword Art Online for all its flaws but I loved watching it and found it to be very entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I hate the series with a passion because of my critical nature but when I turn my brain off, it's a very fun watch. (And yes, I do come with valid points whenever in a discussion about anime)
38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/13
People like my favorite shows because they have good taste.

People dislike my least favorite shows because they can tell the difference between good and bad.

People dislike my favorite shows because they don't know what's good for them.

People like my least favorite shows because their brains have been turned into mush by a lack of critical thinking.
13135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/13

iblessall wrote:

People like my favorite shows because they have good taste.

People dislike my least favorite shows because they can tell the difference between good and bad.

People dislike my favorite shows because they don't know what's good for them.

People like my least favorite shows because their brains have been turned into mush by a lack of critical thinking.


(Honest question, don't take this the wrong way!) Do you truly believe that? If yes, would you expect others to feel the same way about you if they liked/disliked something that you dislike/like.
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/16/13

iblessall wrote:

People like my favorite shows because they have good taste.

People dislike my least favorite shows because they can tell the difference between good and bad.

People dislike my favorite shows because they don't know what's good for them.

People like my least favorite shows because their brains have been turned into mush by a lack of critical thinking.



Interesting comment.
7163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 12/16/13

qualeshia3 wrote:





Nothing bad and yet nothing good.......just interesting.
Do you not like being interesting?

no I do :D
38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/13 , edited 12/16/13

Kelthos wrote:


iblessall wrote:

People like my favorite shows because they have good taste.

People dislike my least favorite shows because they can tell the difference between good and bad.

People dislike my favorite shows because they don't know what's good for them.

People like my least favorite shows because their brains have been turned into mush by a lack of critical thinking.


(Honest question, don't take this the wrong way!) Do you truly believe that? If yes, would you expect others to feel the same way about you if they liked/disliked something that you dislike/like.


No haha, I don't. Well, not to the degree of absoluteness with which I stated my position (only a Sith speaks in absolutes).

Your question is an interesting one, but I think it goes to my general belief that there can be an objective assessment of shows. I, however, also acknowledge that there is a subjective element to judging shows. I haven't really given much thought to defining my terms, so I won't try to apply labels to those two methods of evaluating a show.

I suppose I would say that, in a very general way, I actually do believe those statements. The first two are intentionally rather blunt, but I think that most people would say the same thing. The third I say because most of my top shows either have at least a fairly vocal base of detractors or are overlooked because people are missing deeper messages. The fourth, while maybe my cause-effect statement isn't quite accurate, I do also believe. A lot of people think they know what critical thinking is, but actually don't push themselves through the hardest parts of the critical process.

EDIT: As to the part about others thinking the same way-I do think I have at least an opinion that is mostly right (I mean, if you didn't think your opinion was right, stubbornness is the only reason to hang on to it, which is stupid). That doesn't mean I'm opposed to changing my thoughts, but someone either needs to present really good reasons or something in my experience of a show has to change.
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/16/13



Alright then.
13135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/13

iblessall wrote:

No haha, I don't. Well, not to the degree of absoluteness with which I stated my position (only a Sith speaks in absolutes).

Your question is an interesting one, but I think it goes to my general belief that there can be an objective assessment of shows. I, however, also acknowledge that there is a subjective element to judging shows. I haven't really given much thought to defining my terms, so I won't try to apply labels to those two methods of evaluating a show.

I suppose I would say that, in a very general way, I actually do believe those statements. The first two are intentionally rather blunt, but I think that most people would say the same thing. The third I say because most of my top shows either have at least a fairly vocal base of detractors or are overlooked because people are missing deeper messages. The fourth, while maybe my cause-effect statement isn't quite accurate, I do also believe. A lot of people think they know what critical thinking is, but actually don't push themselves through the hardest parts of the critical process.

EDIT: As to the part about others thinking the same way-I do think I have at least an opinion that is mostly right (I mean, if you didn't think your opinion was right, stubbornness is the only reason to hang on to it, which is stupid). That doesn't mean I'm opposed to changing my thoughts, but someone either needs to present really good reasons or something in my experience of a show has to change.



The only issue with your reasoning behind all of the points is that they're all very subjective. Number 3 for example, what would you say to those that see no deeper message?

I agree that almost everyone would at least *think* the first two, to an extent. I do agree that two statements are very absolute though, especially the second one. The only reason that I say that everyone thinks this way is because - I agree - that it is impossible (I think) to remain completely objective.

You reasoning behind the third one does raise a good point though (although who is to say what is good or bad for anyone?). Missing the deeper messages of shows. That is a huge factor - in my opinion - for determining whether you'll like a series. Yeah, there will be anime that will be seen as pure entertainment value and no message behind it. Good example is CoffeeGodEddy - he has to stop thinking about SAO to properly enjoy it, where others would feel a connection with the characters. Unfortunately, if people don't see the deeper message, they usually just think the whole anime is trash.

Do you think it is fair of you to say that those who like shows that you don't like have mush for brains and have a lack of critical thinking and then say that people who don't like the shows that you like miss the deeper message?

I think far too many people focus on the negatives and try to find the reasons why others shouldn't like things. Very few people these days instead try to find the reasons behind why people like particular things and even if they know why, they refuse to accept those reasons.
38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/13 , edited 12/21/13

Kelthos wrote:
Do you think it is fair of you to say that those who like shows that you don't like have mush for brains and have a lack of critical thinking and then say that people who don't like the shows that you like miss the deeper message?

I think far too many people focus on the negatives and try to find the reasons why others shouldn't like things. Very few people these days instead try to find the reasons behind why people like particular things and even if they know why, they refuse to accept those reasons.


It is possible that the messages people pull out from shows be subjectively held. I'll readily admit that, and I think that is true of all art. However, I also think that many people are far to quick to dismiss a show as "entertainment only" and refuse to take the extra steps to draw value out of what they are watching. I don't know if you saw the "does anime make you a better person" and how the resounding no's far outnumbered the yes's (I'll let you guess which camp I was in ). I'd argue that the reason for that is because people don't fully engage in their media.

Spoilered for more academically slanted stuff:


You point about saying people have mush for brains is taken, and, honestly, that was just me exaggerating for effect. My point was that I see a lot of skipping of steps, and a lot of missing of deeper messages (sometimes from a lack of trying, sometimes not). I think it is just a little frustration, not even just from CR. In the end, I agree with you, there seems to be a much greater focus of looking at why we shouldn't like a show as opposed to why we should like it. That bums me out. We're supposed to enjoy. (Reminds me of the reaction a lot of people had when CR posted the Anime Viking reviews of the Summer 2013 end of season, which we fairly negative).

I should also say that I am NOT claiming to be a perfect critical thinker at all times. Yikes, no. I don't think it is possible to do that; anime is often just to emotionally linked for me to do that. Do I have illogical likes? Yup. I guess I just get a little annoyed when I see what's not critical thinking being presented as if it is. So, like a normal introvert, I just went and ranted about it on the internet...real productive of me...
13135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/13

iblessall wrote:

It is possible that the messages people pull out from shows be subjectively held. I'll readily admit that, and I think that is true of all art. However, I also think that many people are far to quick to dismiss a show as "entertainment only" and refuse to take the extra steps to draw value out of what they are watching. I don't know if you saw the "does anime make you a better person" and how the resounding no's far outnumbered the yes's (I'll let you guess which camp I was in ). I'd argue that the reason for that is because people don't fully engage in their media.

Spoilered for more academically slanted stuff:


You point about saying people have mush for brains is taken, and, honestly, that was just me exaggerating for effect. My point was that I see a lot of skipping of steps, and a lot of missing of deeper messages (sometimes from a lack of trying, sometimes not). I think it is just a little frustration, not even just from CR. In the end, I agree with you, there seems to be a much greater focus of looking at why we shouldn't like a show as opposed to why we should like it. That bums me out. We're to to enjoy. (Reminds me of the reaction a lot of people had when CR posted the Anime Viking reviews of the Summer 2013 end of season, which we fairly negative).

I should also say that I am NOT claiming to be a perfect critical thinker at all times. Yikes, no. I don't think it is possible to do that; anime is often just to emotionally linked for me to do that. Do I have illogical likes? Yup. I guess I just get a little annoyed when I see what's not critical thinking being presented as if it is. So, like a normal introvert, I just went and ranted about it on the internet...real productive of me...


All in all, that was really great post and I can't disagree with any of it.


However, I also think that many people are far to quick to dismiss a show as "entertainment only" and refuse to take the extra steps to draw value out of what they are watching.


So damn true. I personally go out of my way to try to feel the connection with almost everything I watch. I think the point of anime especially is to try and get the target audience to feel something, to feel connected and from my point of view, we as an audience should at least try to achieve that. Otherwise.. what is the point of watching cheesy actors or seeing (not hating on One Piece) a rubber man stuff his face full of food.

The spoilered part and your interpretation of it hit the nail right on the head. It is exactly what a lot of people do these days and I don't think they'd even care if it were to be pointed out to them and from that stand point, I can see why you would say they'd have mush for brains. I'd go as far to say that some people wouldn't even know how to properly interpret what they're watching.

Haha, I think it's pretty safe to say that the majority of us are introverts. I'm much more comfortable debating the finer points of anime with you guys on the internet than I am with say.. my parents. ^_^
38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/13

Kelthos wrote:
Haha, I think it's pretty safe to say that the majority of us are introverts. I'm much more comfortable debating the finer points of anime with you guys on the internet than I am with say.. my parents. ^_^


Spoilered cause off-topic, but
13135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/13

iblessall wrote:


Kelthos wrote:
Haha, I think it's pretty safe to say that the majority of us are introverts. I'm much more comfortable debating the finer points of anime with you guys on the internet than I am with say.. my parents. ^_^


Spoilered cause off-topic, but


Your parents are much more accepting than mine ^^; I wouldn't be able to make it through a whole conversation without them asking why I was wasting my time watching childish cartoons. They don't seem to see any form of value (entertainment or otherwise) from anime, which is a shame.

It's relevant to the topic though, why do we think our parents/significant others struggle to accept anime in general? Of course only if it applies to those that don't accept it. Must be nice to live with people that do!
28100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/13 , edited 12/16/13

Kelthos
Your parents are much more accepting than mine ^^; I wouldn't be able to make it through a whole conversation without them asking why I was wasting my time watching childish cartoons. They don't seem to see any form of value (entertainment or otherwise) from anime, which is a shame.

It's relevant to the topic though, why do we think our parents/significant others struggle to accept anime in general? Of course only if it applies to those that don't accept it. Must be nice to live with people that do!


The cultural boundary is probably the issue. most older people grew up with cartoons being for kids. It is hard for them to fathom any sort of animation-based series to be anything more than that and that they cannot tell a proper story or drive a narrative. It is a shame. However, while my parents never could understand anime (actually, NOBODY in my family can. Not even my siblings) I was still able to watch it and get involved with it without any worry... Even if my dad calls me a dork. XD
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/17/13




My family can care less about me liking anime.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.