First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Are We Living In Anime's Greatest Creative Era?
34482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 12/19/13
Oh my goodness, a thread that actually appreciates current anime. This is nice.

Do I think anime has gotten more "creative"? Not really. The same creativity is there, just in different forms. However, I somewhat agree with a general "golden age" in reference to anime's growth as a medium.

While I do think anime has overall grown better as a medium, we're not quite at a "golden age" yet. Anime still has a lot of room to grow and I don't think it's truly reached it's full potential yet. We're getting there, though. In order for a "golden age" to happen, we'd need a lot of great series within a short period of time (maybe 3 years) that are universally popular. Anime is still too niche for this to happen, unfortunately, though it has garnered many more Western fans in the late 90s and 2000s than any decade previous.

As anime grows more popular and reaches more people, producers will have the opportunity to experiment and create more and, hopefully, will stop wasting their time on moe/ecchi drivel made solely to sell merchandise. Then we might start seeing some truly epic stuff.
14375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/19/13 , edited 12/19/13
i liked anime alot more about 4+ years ago, but there are some awesome new animes coming out now. so i would say now anime is at its most creative time now.

There is so much Ecchi/loli/romance crap now its boring.
8254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/19/13
One common theme I have noticed is many are about the originality and quality of story. Myself included. What I find nice about past couple of years is storytelling is making more prominence again and accentuated with crisper, more fluid animations and the soundtracks.

Probably best example of this evolution which I can think of has to be Initial D. As time went on, manga art got better. The anime evolved along with. First stage is pretty cheesy comparably to the most recent seasons. But it improved in multiple facets via quality of art, improvements in audio and music. From the manga reader's point of view, general story does drag on a bit later, but anime, seems to just get better even though both tell the same story.
4047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
not sharing my asl
Offline
Posted 12/19/13
What the hell, no
12429 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/19/13
anime is butter now then it was when i was in high school
24239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

AnimeKami wrote:

people who like berserk anime are just dumb.



For being 22 years old you come across as an immature asshole. I think there is no age for being a douche, uh?




As for the topic on hand, I think every generation has its pros and cons. I have seen very good animes from the 90s and very good animes from today. My tastes change from time to time but the old titles will always have a special spot in my heart while I'm still enjoying a lot of the few animes I choose to keep watching (since I've dropped many titles).

We have more anime today than before but I don't think quantity equals quality.

79327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

kirika202 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

people who like berserk anime are just dumb.



For being 22 years old you come across as an immature asshole. I think there is no age for being a douche, uh?




As for the topic on hand, I think every generation has its pros and cons. I have seen very good animes from the 90s and very good animes from today. My tastes change from time to time but the old titles will always have a special spot in my heart while I'm still enjoying a lot of the few animes I choose to keep watching (since I've dropped many titles).

We have more anime today than before but I don't think quantity equals quality.



And, you just stooped even lower than an asshole or a douche by calling someone out on the Internet. Since you decided to police around a second handed opinion due to the fact that:

You disagree with my opinion on "people are dumb if they like berserk (anime)." I do not see your clause as to why my statement is (figuratively) wrong. Perhaps you best attack my statement not my character.


24239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

AnimeKami wrote:


kirika202 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

people who like berserk anime are just dumb.



For being 22 years old you come across as an immature asshole. I think there is no age for being a douche, uh?




As for the topic on hand, I think every generation has its pros and cons. I have seen very good animes from the 90s and very good animes from today. My tastes change from time to time but the old titles will always have a special spot in my heart while I'm still enjoying a lot of the few animes I choose to keep watching (since I've dropped many titles).

We have more anime today than before but I don't think quantity equals quality.



And, you just stooped even lower than an asshole or a douche by calling someone out on the Internet. Since you decided to police around a second handed opinion due to the fact that:

You disagree with my opinion on "people are dumb if they like berserk (anime)." I do not see your clause as to why my statement is (figuratively) wrong. Perhaps you best attack my statement not my character.




No. I disagree with your character. Don't use the internet as an excuse to act like immature asshole. I would tell you the same thing if I had you face to face because 'likes' are subjective. No one is dumb for liking a certain type of anime...it is like me calling those people who like harem anime dumb just because I don't like it.

3208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/13 , edited 12/19/13

AnimeKami wrote:

people who like berserk anime are just dumb.





Our anime god has spoken follow his words of wisdom and you shall find your path..

But no seriously decide for yourself don't go by what someone else said..


kirika202 wrote:
No. I disagree with your character. Don't use the internet as an excuse to act like immature asshole. I would tell you the same thing if I had you face to face because 'likes' are subjective. No one is dumb for liking a certain type of anime...it is like me calling those people who like harem anime dumb just because I don't like it.

Exactly, frankly i'm tired of it as well and people act like it's okay because they see it everywhere else.

A little side note i actually had no idea a discussion was going on at the time, just said what i thought as soon as i read it.
Berserk can go just about anywhere right now being on chapter 333.

79327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

kirika202 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:


kirika202 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

people who like berserk anime are just dumb.



For being 22 years old you come across as an immature asshole. I think there is no age for being a douche, uh?




As for the topic on hand, I think every generation has its pros and cons. I have seen very good animes from the 90s and very good animes from today. My tastes change from time to time but the old titles will always have a special spot in my heart while I'm still enjoying a lot of the few animes I choose to keep watching (since I've dropped many titles).

We have more anime today than before but I don't think quantity equals quality.



And, you just stooped even lower than an asshole or a douche by calling someone out on the Internet. Since you decided to police around a second handed opinion due to the fact that:

You disagree with my opinion on "people are dumb if they like berserk (anime)." I do not see your clause as to why my statement is (figuratively) wrong. Perhaps you best attack my statement not my character.




No. I disagree with your character. Don't use the internet as an excuse to act like immature asshole. I would tell you the same thing if I had you face to face because 'likes' are subjective. No one is dumb for liking a certain type of anime...it is like me calling those people who like harem anime dumb just because I don't like it.



I just read, Argumentum Ad hominem.

Again, waiting on the proposition (highlighted in red).
24239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

AnimeKami wrote:


I just read, Argumentum Ad hominem.

Again, waiting on the proposition (highlighted in red).


You made a statement based on your opinion. You didn't make a valuable fact based on the majority. Therefore, your argument is invalid. People can enjoy any anime if they want to, and you being rude in the comments doesn't change that fact at all.

15744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/19/13
Pfft, Thursdays.


fluffykun011 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

people who like berserk anime are just dumb.





Our anime god has spoken follow his words of wisdom and you shall find your path..




quoted for girth.
24239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

RolexKid wrote:

Pfft, Thursdays.



Pfft, boys with a mind of a fetus. I shall not waste my time anymore.
8254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/19/13
Hi to both peeps with the quote tree, please be respectful of the other users of the forum. I was quite enjoying this thread. Discussions were mature and many posts having well supported their positions. Also, last I checked, intelligence or lack of intelligence or character is pretty tough to determine by one piece of media. I myself am a walking contradiction of interests.

I have shows like Technolyze sitting next to Inuyasha in my DVD collection, and Manga like Chobits right next to Parasyte. In the afternoons and weekends, I get on one of my vintage motorcycles and cruise around, hang with the other bikers, then in evenings or when weather is bad, sit and watch anime or read manga. I enjoy heavy metal just as much as classical orchestra, A good beer as much as a fine wine.

Take just one of those examples or judge me as such, and you will never know anything about me. Even taking those at a whole, it only shows my interests, nothing about my personality, education or morals. Heck, it doesn't even cover why I like it. However, I start calling people out based entirely on their choice of mainstream media, well, that does start to define me.



Anywhoo, shall we get back to discussing the eras of Anime? I actually just finished watching with some friends a movie from 12 years ago that really defines and shows the change in genres. If you haven't watched it ever, you should look up the following:

Metropolis

This is sort of a defining classic movie that really was the end of an era done by Madhouse studios. A collaboration of what could be defined as the best anime artists of the preceding years, it shows the new age in terms of detail, music, and technology while maintaining the beloved artistry that made these legends outclassed only by probably Miyazaki with Studio Ghibli
15744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

kirika202 wrote:


RolexKid wrote:

Pfft, Thursdays.



Pfft, boys with a mind of a fetus. I shall not waste my time anymore.


Not sure if you're referring to me, as I am not one to advocate flaming. I guessing you find thursdays loathsome as well?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.