First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Are We Living In Anime's Greatest Creative Era?
24438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

RolexKid wrote:


kirika202 wrote:


RolexKid wrote:

Pfft, Thursdays.



Pfft, boys with a mind of a fetus. I shall not waste my time anymore.


Not sure if you're referring to me, as I am not one to advocate flaming. I guessing you find thursdays loathsome as well?


No, I was referring to the twat you quoted. And Thursdays are awesome, like any other day.

19365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/19/13
Ok, so how bout them topics from the OP....

I personally won't subject one time frame or another to "golden age". I feel that is very subjective to this field of media. Maybe in a couple hundred years we can pin down a golden age, but we'll see.

I will say though, I feel now is a very strong era of anime. As others have said, it's more accessible, and has a much broader scope to cater to any ones likes or dislikes. Every span of time has something I enjoy: Transformers, DBZ, Detective Conan, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the shell, .Hack, Haruhi, SAO, Attack on Titan. Choose a year and someone can name a "must see" show or movie of that time. Infact, do we have a post like that? maybe we should make a thread for it
8299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

daraksharnah wrote:

Ok, so how bout them topics from the OP....

I personally won't subject one time frame or another to "golden age". I feel that is very subjective to this field of media. Maybe in a couple hundred years we can pin down a golden age, but we'll see.

I will say though, I feel now is a very strong era of anime. As others have said, it's more accessible, and has a much broader scope to cater to any ones likes or dislikes. Every span of time has something I enjoy: Transformers, DBZ, Detective Conan, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the shell, .Hack, Haruhi, SAO, Attack on Titan. Choose a year and someone can name a "must see" show or movie of that time. Infact, do we have a post like that? maybe we should make a thread for it :D


We would need a whole new thread section to discuss the must see anime! Quite correct on all eras having something to offer. My own collection easily spans over 3 decades of japanese animation with something from most years. In that regard, I think that many people earlier said it well where defining a golden year is less about what is good, but how much of it is good and really any dramatic shifts that have occured in the industry. To progress this discussion, we should look at what really is new to the past couple years and discuss what has come out or changed to really broaden and expand the anime sector.

One major thing that I have been noticing of recent is the dramatic improvement of the in show music. For decades there have been astounding show intros, that is nothing new. But the music being of extremely high caliber and integral to the whole feel of the story and not just a background tune is really upping the ante. I am sure there are other examples, but earliest show I can recollect doing this that wasn't a music based cartoon (example Gem and Kidd Video) would have to be .hack. Initial D's third and fourth stage brought this into it's fold as well. For 2013, AoT quite clearly set a new bar for forefront soundtracks.

Next is originality of art style beginning to resurface. For a few years there, most art was getting to be all similar for their genre with even the really good series starting to emulate others. Exceptions being the fringe series such Gantz and Technolyze. However, of recent, many more studios and writers seem to be trying to get away from genre classification and just focusing on individual style. Often these are now the ones we praise.
3234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/13 , edited 12/19/13

Vaporisor wrote:
Hi to both peeps with the quote tree, please be respectful of the other users of the forum. I was quite enjoying this thread. Discussions were mature and many posts having well supported their positions. Also, last I checked, intelligence or lack of intelligence or character is pretty tough to determine by one piece of media. I myself am a walking contradiction of interests.

Just be glad this isn't 4chan.. x_x
It would be impossible to get a thread back on track with a fine post such as yours.

And i think i can one up you there..
Try literally anything from horror to shoujo, military to romance, ecchi to shounen-ai
i honestly don't have any limitations, a few examples i can think of is the wolf children, blue gender, gravitation, shinsekai yori, chihayafuru, skip-beat, higurashi, golden boy, kuroko no basket, galaxy express 999 and pretty much every shounen you can think of meaning the big three. lol

Currently i'm watching a lot of 90's-80's anime and catching up with my roots, for example i'm watching Crest of the stars and loving every minute of it such an awesome space opera. I think i have something relevant to this thread though Gunbusters was one thing that was ruined by our current generation with Diebusters, pretty much went from being classy feels anime to explosions moe and tits.
The little easter eggs and allusions were somewhat entertaining though.
83771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

kirika202 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:


I just read, Argumentum Ad hominem.

Again, waiting on the proposition (highlighted in red).


You made a statement based on your opinion. You didn't make a valuable fact based on the majority. Therefore, your argument is invalid. People can enjoy any anime if they want to, and you being rude in the comments doesn't change that fact at all.



Mostly due to the success of the manga counterpart, Berserk received its 25 episode anime debut in 1997 (ann). Many fans of Berserk would not question the brilliance of the manga; however, is the integrity of the anime rating compromised due to the leeching effects the anime has?

Let us examine the the anime and only anime. I will be discussing the mostly on the characters and warfare development.

The basis of Berserk is catering (political) warfare, we would assume some sort of masterful plan. In Berserk these "plans" are entirely non-existent. The downfall of using an overpowered character to mow down endless lines of enemies. Almost if not all of the episodes has Guts slaughtering men for the sake of Griffen. Why? (I will discuss this a little later.) In the entirety of the anime we saw Guts build himself up to be the strongest using one dimensional hack N slash. Can the enemy not use millions of arrows to counteract medieval warfare? No strategy was ever devised by the opposition. Of course, real history has written down the ignorance of some nations, but what makes warfare exciting? Exceptional strategies, knowing the enemy, and picking where you want to engage. In a particular episode of Berserk there is a raid(?) on a fortress. Griffen's forces utilized zero siege weapons (catapults, trebuchet) maybe a battering ram. The attempt at this offensive tactic is outlandish, stupid and unreal. What is worse is that scene ended in an episode the details of siege long and tedious.

So far, in the military aspects Griffen's forces has overcome poor strategy, minimal information about the enemy, and overcoming defenders advantage without any advantages themselves.

Between Guts and Griffens shows little to no human flaws. Everything just goes there way as if for the sake of the story. The assassinations attempts, political manipulation is all one sided with promptly obliterates any effort of developing the antagonists to set the heros back.

The subsequent emotional breakdown of Griffen turns him into a rapists and Guts the once overpowered guy(?) is left mouth opened watches this feat in disguse. What happened to your crazy op-ness. As if the development of his entire character is outlined in that 1 minute of Caska getting raped and the anime ends.

There was 24 episodes of terrible warfare just to yield a sliver of emotional development of statue Guts on the last episode?

People are mindlessly misled to battles filled with gore with little to no strategy involved. Character development that occured for Guts at the last episode. I call that pretty dumb.

That is my opinion. Now where is yours?
8299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

fluffykun011 wrote

Currently i'm watching a lot of 90's-80's anime and catching up with my roots, for example i'm watching Crest of the stars and loving every minute of it such an awesome space opera. I think i have something relevant to this thread though Gunbusters was one thing that was ruined by our current generation with Diebusters, pretty much went from being classy feels anime to explosions moe and tits.
The little easter eggs allusions were somewhat entertaining though.



Ha ha! Yup, for the first paragraph (which edited out for compactness), I am the same with the genres! I either like it, or I don't.

But onto the bigger things, about how catching up on the classics! They are still pretty tough to find some in TV series. My favorite set that came a fair number of years ago in box set was "Tekkaman Blade" which competed against DragonBall. Because of this, it wasn't well known. On top of that, North american editing butchered it and aired it as Technoman. It was finally sold as a box set in original Japanese audio and format (with subs). It is probably one of my more favorite animes from that era.

Another good one from the previous golden age has to be the robotech saga. Poor robotech, so much difficulty getting the additional movies out. If you are lucky, you probably can still find the Protoculture complete collection available. That should tie you up for a month or two with 2125 minutes of show and 450 minutes of bonus features. This doesn't include the macross movies either!

Last lovely classic I do have to say download. I say this simply because there has been no commercial release for this following show because the master copies were lost so all that exists now are the recordings people did and digitized. It took me a long time to be able to collect all the episodes which I keep a copy secured on it's own USB drive.

Samurai Pizza Cats. The epitomy of comedic saturday cartoons! In fact, when brought to north america for voice overs, the script translations got lost, so instead, the voice actors decided to do it via improv! If you do not know the series, the main villain is a fox, but referred to as a rat, they refer to any kanji as unreadable scribbling, finishing up with many episodes plots being hilarious nonsense.

Nuclear Potato anybody?
3234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/13 , edited 12/20/13
First off
learn to use spoilers.

Secondly..
My anime list is gigantically flawed and probably won't even be fixed in the next ten years, it's not that they necessarily liked the anime by itself it's the fact that said adaptation actually does a good job setting you up for the manga..
Which in general can't be said about too many adaptations.

Thirdly..

AnimeKami wrote:


R-really?.. are you saying this to mislead everyone or are you actually questioning this?


In short ratings and rankings are highly misleading and people use said list to claim said anime is over rated, when really the hate in itself balances everything out..

24438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 12/19/13


Judging from that, we could say that all people who watch anime are dumb considering the stories of some titles, especially harem animes. >_> also, the anime was just the beginning of the manga...the one you just said it is considered brilliant by the fans and I'm not going to discuss it with you because that wasn't your point in the beginning, you didn't say "Berserk the anime only" so don't try to back out now (and that still doesn't make you a less immature asshole). Like I said it's all subjective and anyone can like whatever the heck they want. You have all the right to dislike it but being rude to the ones who like it is not right.

And what's my opinion of it? that how much of a dips**t twatburger I think you are. And it's not even a good burger.

2768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 12/19/13

Vaporisor wrote:


supasoggyrolle wrote:

P.S.: Love the Seto No Hayamone reference. Not a lot of people point that out for the classic it is. One of the few animes I actually couldn't binge watch because it would give me headaches from laughing so hard. AOT is also new to my top 10 all time favs list.


Very true, and really, I don't think there is a bigger example of how the fantastic anime have started to be overlooked. I read the concept, saw some initial art, and really just sluffed it off for quite a long while as just being another cliche and cheesy, cheap made series. When I started watching it, I was harassing my bro via text that he had to watch it. He didn't want to watch it thinking the same thing I had been. But I kept poking at him. Hour later I get the following texts.

*Gasp
Masaaaaaaa.....

I could not stop laughing. I finished the whole series, then immediately re-watched it with my bro I enjoyed it that much!

But darned if I can find anybody else who had seen it!



I so agree. Seto is without a doubt a classic example of a hidden jewel. The man crush on Masa was hilarious, but I loved Maki so much. One of the funniest moments in the history of anime was when:



As a fellow Seto fan, I would recommend to you another hidden gem from this year, if you haven't already seen it: Cuticle Detective Inaba. It's not quite as funny as Seto, but it's close. A+ vs A-. I'm only on episode 4 right now, but thus far, it's pure comedy gold. Absurdist anime, just like Seto.
8299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/19/13 , edited 12/19/13

supasoggyrolle wrote:

As a fellow Seto fan, I would recommend to you another hidden gem from this year, if you haven't already seen it: Cuticle Detective Inaba. It's not quite as funny as Seto, but it's close. A+ vs A-. I'm only on episode 4 right now, but thus far, it's pure comedy gold. Absurdist anime, just like Seto.



Thanks! I was about to start browsing for a series to maybe watch a bit of this weekend. High ratings so will definitely check it out. Another good example of good shows lost in a flood. I might never have watched it. There wasn't so much a bad time for anime, but a surplus burying gems! Really appreciate the recommendation!
3234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/13 , edited 12/19/13

Vaporisor wrote:
"Tekkaman Blade" which competed against DragonBall. Because of this, it wasn't well known. On top of that, North american editing butchered it and aired it as Technoman. It was finally sold as a box set in original Japanese audio and format (with subs). It is probably one of my more favorite animes from that era.

Another good one from the previous golden age has to be the robotech saga. Poor robotech, so much difficulty getting the additional movies out. If you are lucky, you probably can still find the Protoculture complete collection available. That should tie you up for a month or two with 2125 minutes of show and 450 minutes of bonus features. This doesn't include the macross movies either!


Ugh.. this means tekkaman and robotech could have been a huge success and we may have had more mecha fans as a result.
The reason i mention robotech.. because every otaku that's been around knows what horrendous things happened to that anime.
It was only recently that the bluray came out with all footage intended and unedited so now we can actually enjoy the series how it was originally intended to be.

I would say my favorite classics at the moment are Gunbusters, GE999, Project a-ko.. i haven't seen much yet unfortunately, but i'm planning on gundam,macross, leiji matsumoto saga, saint seiya etc.

To be honest i'm split on rather i should follow the current generation or just go back to my roots.
2012-2013 frankly has been amazing.

8299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/20/13

fluffykun011 wrote:

Ugh.. this means tekkaman and robotech could have been a huge success and we may have had more mecha fans as a result.



Tekkaman is kind of interesting. I actually never thought of it as a mecha, even though now you say it, in a way it fits the bill. I always thought of it as a superhero show more. It really was ahead of it's time for the North american market.

Another show I have on DVD that was utterly butchered by the TV importers was "Saber Riders and the Star Sheriffs" Phenominal show, but the scripts and episode order were so thrashed. I remember watching younger when it was on TV and liking it, but now I watch it and realize how utterly mutilated it was cause of the north american broadcasters. The attempts to disguise death almost makes me laugh

"stun rays prove effective"
"And then they took them prisoner" (after it was clearly implied they were mowed down by gunfire)
"They took out the clones we set up" (narrated statement after seeing a ship carrying VIPs destroyed)
3234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/20/13

Vaporisor wrote:
that was utterly butchered by the TV importers was "Saber Riders .

Yeah it's why i'm frankly scared to go back to dubs or rather imports in general.
You either start with the dub and stay ignorant to the former, or be highly aware of what you could be missing.
Posted 12/20/13 , edited 12/20/13
Hmm I'm gonna ttry some of the anime mentioned here. Recently, I've been looking for older anime mainly

Felstalker wrote:

I don't believe we live in most creative era, we live in it's most accessible one.


Plus most accessible = more titles = more choice etc...

Better question is, is market becoming saturated?
15971 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 12/20/13

Sornette wrote:

Hmm I'm gonna ttry some of the anime mentioned here. Recently, I've been looking for older anime mainly

Felstalker wrote:

I don't believe we live in most creative era, we live in it's most accessible one.


Plus most accessible = more titles = more choice etc...

Better question is, is market becoming saturated?


Hmmm...that depends.

If the market wasn't growing, it most certainly would! But it's not stagnant. Anime is reaching larger and larger audiences, and the availability has only improved it. 5 years ago my younger cousins, ages 6-14, could not enjoy titles such as Trigun, The Slayers, Soul Eater, and Angel Beats. Unlike I, who lived through that Adult-Swim age of anime. My cousins don't get to see no Kenshin, none of that Yu Yu Hakusho, ending with Inuyasha at 10 and Cowboy Bebop at 11. Every Saturday you got FLCL, Eureka 7, Paranoia Agent, and Samurai Champloo.

WIth Netflix and Hulu, they've got access to tons of shows, some not proper for them, some more proper than any other children or adult programming. I can't actually name a live-action show that doesn't insult or ignore children. Either they're talked down to, or loloshit'nsexjokeslol.

When I grew up, my parents tried their best to stop me from watching The Simpsons.

The worst Saturday Night of my life, the Final Episode of Eureka 7 didn't air, instead Adult Swim gave us a 3 hour flash-animation movie about a hooker on a quest, the entire thing insulted Asian culture as a whole, using stereotypes, accents, cliches, and racist remarks abound and WHY DIDN'T THEY GIVE ME THE FINAL EPISODE OF EUREKA 7? DO YOU KNOW HOW HYPED I WAS FOR THAT FINAL EPISODE? THE PROGRAMMING SAID IT WAS THE FINALE EPISODE, NOT THAT MOVIE...WHY....WHY? I SPEND 52 WEEKS ON EUREKA 7. MY BROTHER AND SISTER AND I SPEND A YEAR FOR THAT PAYOFF, THAT'S ALL WE WANTED.

Nowadays we get nothing but Family Guy and American Dad. Decent enough, but it's not the same as watching Anime every night.

Where was I going with this? Just the memory of that night makes me angry. I'm really glad I'm able to watch anime without having networks give me that kind of bull.
IF CR ever makes me wait an extra week to watch Simucast, AND watch a racist movie making fun of me for doing so, I will grab my pitchfork. ESPECIALLY if it was on the most cliffhanger of episodes.

but they don't, and it makes me very happy. I spent half an hour on this post because I felt like watching an episode of Fist of the North Star while typing it. Anime is no more saturated than movies and books, which is HELL YEAH IT'S SATURATED, but a lot of the fluff falls away a year later. I can't name the number of anime I've forgotten, they're just too boring, generic, or cliche for me to care. But the good ones I can never get enough of, and will never stop discovering.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.