First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Are We Living In Anime's Greatest Creative Era?
47635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/20/13 , edited 12/20/13

hpulley wrote:

Yes, absolutely! Sadly, a lot of the most creative stuff (in my opinion of course, who else's opinion could I have?) like Shinsekai Yori and Rozen Maiden gets poor sales but somehow, they do manage to make some very creative stuff. Other creative stuff like Madoka, Monogatari and Attack on Titan does sell well too, so that's good.

I really believe that the last few years have been the most creative and best ever for anime. Keep it comin'!


Yes, sadly, lots of creative stuff does do poorly, but at least it's not all of them, right?

I think creativity will always overshadowed by the "latest trend" or "the latest hit", like Gundam when it first came out. All those imitations. With Evangelion, the same thing. But, with those imitations you can find the creativity that you'd never think was there. The hidden gems, if you will.
215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101
Offline
Posted 12/20/13 , edited 12/20/13
What I like to tell people about creative titles:

No matter how poorly they sell, they were made and if you enjoyed them, nobody can take them away from you :)

Also: On the subject of Astro Boy, here is a really great AMV that lampshades all 3 Astro Boy adaptations from across the decades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JwayPIQsq0
49110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/20/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


hpulley wrote:

Yes, absolutely! Sadly, a lot of the most creative stuff (in my opinion of course, who else's opinion could I have?) like Shinsekai Yori and Rozen Maiden gets poor sales but somehow, they do manage to make some very creative stuff. Other creative stuff like Madoka, Monogatari and Attack on Titan does sell well too, so that's good.

I really believe that the last few years have been the most creative and best ever for anime. Keep it comin'!


Yes, sadly, lots of creative stuff does do poorly, but at least it's not all of them, right?

I think creativity will always overshadowed by the "latest trend" or "the latest hit", like Gundam when it first came out. All those imitations. With Evangelion, the same thing. But, with those imitations you can find the creativity that you'd never think was there. The hidden gems, if you will.

Indeed, imitation is the highest form of flattery as they say but eventually those imitations yield creative versions.

Maea2016 wrote:

What I like to tell people about creative titles:

No matter how poorly they sell, they were made and if you enjoyed them, nobody can take them away from you :)
...
Indeed, I am proud to own some very creative bombs for which I may have one of the few existing copies!
2762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 12/20/13

Vaporisor wrote:


supasoggyrolle wrote:

As a fellow Seto fan, I would recommend to you another hidden gem from this year, if you haven't already seen it: Cuticle Detective Inaba. It's not quite as funny as Seto, but it's close. A+ vs A-. I'm only on episode 4 right now, but thus far, it's pure comedy gold. Absurdist anime, just like Seto.



Thanks! I was about to start browsing for a series to maybe watch a bit of this weekend. High ratings so will definitely check it out. Another good example of good shows lost in a flood. I might never have watched it. There wasn't so much a bad time for anime, but a surplus burying gems! Really appreciate the recommendation!


No problem. There's a lot of good comedic anime out there right now. But Cuticle is tops, with Watamote and Servant x Service running close second.
32232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 12/20/13

Sornette wrote:
Oooh i'm interested. What are good 70's Anime Titles?


Vaporisor's got you covered. That was the golden age of super robot shows, and I swear there must have been dozens of 'em. That age more or less ends at the release of the original Gundam, the first real(istic) robot show, in 1979, at which point all mecha anime changed.
25501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 12/21/13 , edited 12/22/13
I consider FLCL an earlier anime that first aired on Cartoon Network Adult before there was any kind of Internet Sites,

Yes there was AOD that was 2002!

IDK when Funimation began it's website but I started using it around 2006 / 2007

So I use 2004 as a cutoff for newer anime that's my standard I use Funi as a boundary line even though it started in the 90's

So two current animes Kill La Kiil and Kyousougiga IMO were influenced by it! Some current anime a product of the past I think so!

FLCL



Kill La Kill




Kyousougiga BTW The scrolls images in the anime(Shrine for real) are thought to be original manga talk about early influence
Alice In Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are mentioned in this anime.






What I am trying to say I like both old and new as by the examples above.I do like the concept of anime not looking real all the time.
20737 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/21/13 , edited 12/21/13
I honestly believe that the quality of writing in anime has skyrocketed in the last ten years or so. Even if you just go back to watch stuff from the 90's, the dialogue is total crap IMO and doesn't manage to hold my interest.

Anime of late feels like it's the greatest story-telling medium in all of entertainment. There's a good reason I've been shirking TV and movies these days to solely focus on anime series. They're just so much more emotionally satisfying to watch.
4569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/21/13 , edited 12/21/13
No, of course not. How can we accurately determine "anime's most creative era" at this point? It's similar to counting chickens before they hatch. Anime's history is far from finished, making it rather unwise to establish a "most creative" anything until the future eras have unraveled. Also, creativity is greatly subjective, so it's not like an absolute truth can be determined.
10416 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 12/21/13
After 2007 anime has been nothing but ecchi, little girls and moe. I think the golden age of anime has passed.
2141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 12/21/13
I wouldn't say that anime has reached its 'Golden Age', nor will I say that it ever actually had one, and I will certainly never say that it's more creative now than it was in the past.

The way I see it, anime is just like the Young Adult novels that are produced now-a-days in America. There are a few that stand out, but for the most part all the others are almost the same exact copy and pasted elements from other works because they're a trend and what sells 'safely'. Basically, there is always going to be a lot of stuff that isn't really 'creative' and there are always going to be a few titles that are 'creative' and will stand out. It will always be like this just the trends will change.

Visually though, the medium has improved drastically, so I guess appearance wise this would be the 'golden age', especially with scenery that has been produced in Attack on Titan, Project K (forgettable storyline, but the animation and backgrounds were beautifully done.), and Hyouka just to name a few examples. Anime 'looks' better, but I can't say the designs for the most part are more creative cause they seem to follow the same trends, but a few will stand out. I enjoy Kyoto Animation works due to how high quality they are animation wise, but some of their works are very 'similar' appearance wise pertaining to characters, not exact, but similar. Their designs follow the same thing that plots do, they are similar, but one will stand out. (Free! stands out character design wise because the boys and girls in that show were drawn very maturely compared to their other series where they appeared younger and softer.)

Anyway, I've dragged this on, but hopefully you get the point I'm trying to make.
36693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Online
Posted 12/21/13

AnimeKami wrote:

Let us examine the the anime and only anime.

[....]

That is my opinion. Now where is yours?

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the whole Berserk anime again before replying to this aren't I.

I'll see if I can fit that into my Christmas somewhere.
75426 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 12/21/13

Insomnist wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

Let us examine the the anime and only anime.

[....]

That is my opinion. Now where is yours?

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the whole Berserk anime again before replying to this aren't I.

I'll see if I can fit that into my Christmas somewhere.


I guess before you rewatch the whole thing. Are you going to come up with the counter argument to mine?
3243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/21/13 , edited 12/21/13
The Golden Age of US toons IMO was the 90s, you had passionate OPs (rescue rangers, TMNT, Sonic, Iron Man, tail spin, etc) [yes the 80s had them too with dinosaucers, G1 transformers, etc but those shows were less balanced] great plots that make some of the movies look mediocre in comparison (X-men and Spiderman [felt the first film for each besides the casting was overrated in light of the cartoon, SMB) great voice acting and animation (Sonic, beast wars, batman).

I bring it up because we didnt know how good we had it at the time and the current state of US toons seems mediocre in comparison.

Old school Japanese Anime like Speed Racer, the original kinnikuman, astro boy etc. are classics. But I dont think anyone can objectively consider that era the golden age of anime. Movies like Akira and Robotech were very influential. But we dont tend to view it as the peak of anime and that its been in decline ever since.

If anything the 90s heated up things even more with the likes of DBZ (yes it started in the 80s but barely for the anime) , yu yu hukusho, rurouni kenshin, Gundam 0083-gundam wing, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, cowboy bebop etc. And Princess Mononoke probably recieved more attention than akira had.

Could this era be the golden age? Has animation, plots, quantity of quality shows etc gone up? Those 90s ones are very hard to beat but possibly. HxH surpasses YYH IMO though both are excellent. One Piece probably out does DBZ by the time it finishes though I hate to see either lose a matchup like that. AOT may beat EVA if it can keep its quality up but the rest are hard to match, We're continuing to see quality manga turned out that are likely to become anime including One Punch Man and World Trigger recently as well as nisekoi which may grow surpass I''s in the shonen romance manga department, then you have manga like Berserk and HNI that have been going on for 20+ years . I;m not sure if recent but finished greats like FMA and HNG should be counted as this era, but I assume so.

To answer your question in short this era has the potential to be IMO so long as the current crop turns out well. If the history of anime goes anything like that of US toons and quality declines in the next decade it could be viewed that way. I hope it doesnt become too oversaturated and that the cream rises to the top even after the 2020 olympics but who knows. I'm optimistic but think it has to plateau somewhere if it hasn't already.
36693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Online
Posted 12/21/13

AnimeKami wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the whole Berserk anime again before replying to this aren't I.

I'll see if I can fit that into my Christmas somewhere.


I guess before you rewatch the whole thing. Are you going to come up with the counter argument to mine?

If we're only discussing the anime, I'll have to watch it again to separate my recollections from the manga first, is what I meant. It's been awhile, so they're both mostly meshed together in my head. Anything I could say now would be based on my general (and somewhat vague) impressions of Berserk as a franchise, not just as its lone worth as an anime.

Do let me make sure I understand your argument while we're here, though.

Which was that the anime was only successful due to the manga, and wasn't itself very good at all?

And your evidence was:

1) The lack of a master plan on the part of Griffith directing his agendas.
2) Guts's devotion to Griffith's cause not being adequately explained.
3) Guts not being killed by an archer during any of their engagements.
4) None of Griffith's enemies coming up with a distinct plan to eliminate Guts.
5) No overarching military strategy on the part of Midland or the Chuder Empire.
6) No use of siege weapons against... I believe that would've been Doldrey?
7) No believable explanation for the success of Griffith's forces.
8) Guts and Griffith both being near-idolized human beings with few if any flaws.
9) No identified antagonist is set up to compete with either Guts or Griffith.
10) Guts's helplessness in the final episode when (spoilers) happens.
11) No emotional development of Guts's character until the final episode.
12) The lack of strategy behind the medieval battles and related bad leadership.

Did I miss (or misstate) anything?
75426 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 12/21/13

Insomnist wrote:

If we're only discussing the anime, I'll have to watch it again to separate my recollections from the manga first, is what I meant. It's been awhile, so they're both mostly meshed together in my head. Anything I could say now would be based on my general (and somewhat vague) impressions of Berserk as a franchise, not just as its lone worth as an anime.

Do let me make sure I understand your argument while we're here, though.

Which was that the anime was only successful due to the manga, and wasn't itself very good at all?

And your evidence was:



Did I miss (or misstate) anything?


You are more than welcome to interpret that post in this manner; however, the Berserk argument is the foundation to something larger (smaller in a sense). I do not wish to continue with the defense or the details. If you do continue with your endeavors of answering 1-12, I will read your post, but most likely I would just agree and move on.

Forum debates have zero meaning to me. Of course, I am not trying to offend you, just giving a precautionary warning that I will not commit to this debate.


First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.