First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Are We Living In Anime's Greatest Creative Era?
38390 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Online
Posted 12/21/13 , edited 12/21/13

AnimeKami wrote:

Forum debates have zero meaning to me. Of course, I am not trying to offend you, just giving a precautionary warning that I will not commit to this debate.

But you're the one who invited it.

There's no point to my putting time into a counterargument to an argument that isn't your argument, so if my interpretation doesn't match your meaning I'll wait for clarification. And I certainly won't challenge your right to like or dislike anything you please for whatever reason you deem fit, seeing as how I am the resident Code Geass hater.

But if you're going to openly declare that anyone who likes Berserk is dumb, I wouldn't mind the opportunity to defend the state of my mental faculties. That's up to your discretion though. As it is I can live with assuming someone overhyped a pretty old anime to you, it didn't meet your thus heightened expectations and you are now cantankerous.

Which, all considered, is quite reasonable really. Minus the indirect attack on my mental health of course.
19403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / orbiting Jupiter
Offline
Posted 12/21/13 , edited 12/21/13

Vaporisor wrote:
Anywhoo, shall we get back to discussing the eras of Anime? I actually just finished watching with some friends a movie from 12 years ago that really defines and shows the change in genres. If you haven't watched it ever, you should look up the following:

Metropolis

This is sort of a defining classic movie that really was the end of an era done by Madhouse studios. A collaboration of what could be defined as the best anime artists of the preceding years, it shows the new age in terms of detail, music, and technology while maintaining the beloved artistry that made these legends outclassed only by probably Miyazaki with Studio Ghibli


People listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about. It's a beautifully put together movie. It's in my list of greatest anime movies. Thanks for your insight on the movie.
20903 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/21/13
We will be in the golden age of anime when it is PRIMETIME MAIN NETWORK MATERIAL.

That is all.
14437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Las Vegas Baby!
Offline
Posted 12/21/13
When I hear/see people use the phrase "Golden Age" I see it in its context. Is it because of creativity? Is it because of sheer number? Is it because of distribution? Is it due to the sales dollars? Is it because of consumption options?

All these could be the defining of "The Golden Age."

For me, personally, I see the golden age of anime, from the perspective of the USA, as being the early 2000s through 2009. It marks a period of greater number of shows, more people watching it, the availability of shows. Yes there was an economic bust in the late 2000s, ok more of a correction, but that is pretty normal for any new product/service. A mad rush for it followed by a huge ramp in availability. To over saturation. To closures and less investment. But it surely didn't die.

Once the bubble burst and the sorting out occurred anime experienced a tech breakthrough in the movement to digital production and distribution. This lowered some costs but increased others. Investment still occurred but for a more mature industry. Which we are still experiencing today.

So, in my opinion, in respective to the US market, the increase in production, availability, and consumption occurred in the 2000s. I relate it to a gold rush. Someone found something, everyone wanted in, money tossed around, when there wasn't enough for everyone a correction (bust) happened. This was Golden Age.

6539 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/21/13
Well, it's not over yet. So we'll never know until it does.
3246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/22/13

bluebattletech wrote:


Vaporisor wrote:
Anywhoo, shall we get back to discussing the eras of Anime? I actually just finished watching with some friends a movie from 12 years ago that really defines and shows the change in genres. If you haven't watched it ever, you should look up the following:

Metropolis

This is sort of a defining classic movie that really was the end of an era done by Madhouse studios. A collaboration of what could be defined as the best anime artists of the preceding years, it shows the new age in terms of detail, music, and technology while maintaining the beloved artistry that made these legends outclassed only by probably Miyazaki with Studio Ghibli


People listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about. It's a beautifully put together movie. It's in my list of greatest anime movies. Thanks for your insight on the movie.


Metropolis was excellent but interesting to note its based on a manga from 1949 by Tezuka based on the 1927 silent film thats probably older than most of your grandparents.
Posted 12/22/13
It has it's ups and downs, just like any other era. I'm generally pleased.

That said, 2013 in particular was an acid trip.
18014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Online
Posted 12/22/13
After I watched madoka I watched day break and now i'm up to La Storia so I'm going to say...
no
26821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 12/22/13
So here is another new anime that has anime experience from the past

Space Dandy is the upcoming science-fiction comedy series from director Shinichiro Watanabe Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Kids on the Slope) and studio BONES.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-21/space-dandy-90-second-trailer-previews-english-dub

Space Dandy



Cowboy BeBop

15448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 12/22/13
why didn't you put hunter x hunter as one of the greatest of this era?
8252 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/22/13

orphenocou wrote:

Metropolis was excellent but interesting to note its based on a manga from 1949 by Tezuka based on the 1927 silent film thats probably older than most of your grandparents.


Seen the silent film, If going to watch, has to be the TCM version. After WW2, the original reels for the silent version were destroyed. When films were made at the time, they had multiple cameras record and then different studios would edit for their tastes for where they were showing. Original Metropolis was extremely long, so many studios would cut out over half of it to fit the standard film length of the time. It wasnt until just recently where an almost complete version was discovered in Argentina that they were able to mostly complete the film in it's entirety.

Haven't ever looked up the Manga though. Is one of those I will get around to it and never do things....
2764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 12/22/13

ashurasantoryu wrote:

why didn't you put hunter x hunter as one of the greatest of this era?


It is, but I was just going off the top of the head. That list isn't comprehensive of all the all-time greats of this era.
26821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 12/24/13
One drawback to the current anime is there is a lot more to choose from .And that creates a major problem which makes animes a mess

24 to 12 episodes A very valid complaint

For the majority of animes most are now only 12 episodes and creates rushed or incomplete anime or even botched adaptions .

Even in the past 48 or even 60 episode animes were common! Again there was less so they could do that! But at least finished!

Is it the industry to make a quick buck at the expense of the anime.If so sales do suffer if the anime is poorlly done

Because there is so much anime they want to have a quick turnover.Are the TV stations implicit in this change!

Then they have us begging for A S2 .So again is it the costs and waiting to fill l the coffers! I think it's kinda disgusting what they do IMO

And if they want to do that gives us OVA;s or a movie to finish the anime!!

If you dont want to do another 12 at least finish the story! Really! It would make people happy.Yea CR one of these days should do movies and OVA's



Is then a blow to creating truly great anime?
Posted 12/24/13 , edited 12/24/13

FLjerry2011 wrote:
Is it the industry to make a quick buck at the expense of the anime.If so sales do suffer if the anime is poorlly done


Nothing wrong with trying to make a quick buck, but there is almost no excuse for a poorly done anime. If anything the anime should do poorly because the content is weak in the first place. That or it goes over everyone's heads. I don't think quality involving the aesthetics should be much of an issue these days so I don't believe that could be held as a reasonable excuse in most cases unless the team or studio is just very inexperienced.
26821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 12/24/13 , edited 12/24/13
The Golden Age Marmalade Boy 76 Episodes First 24 out of print not licensed now! I watched this On Demand

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.