First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Are child abuse laws too strict?
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 12/24/13

DuppyConqueror wrote:

There is nothing wrong with beating a child. I used to get beat so bad by my parents and teachers back in the day. I used to get hit with switches, belts, rulers, fly swatters etc. I turned out perfectly fine id say better than those whos parents didnt hit them. When i did something wrong i got beat then id never do it again. Why? Cuz mommy gunna cut my ass if i do bad. Just talking does not work. I know because i was a kid once too.

About 95% of the kids that arent punished by there parents with a good spanking usually turn out to be spoiled and rude. And most of those same kids are the ones doing pills, x, RC's straight junkies partying all the time, especially nowadays

I just cant believe people are so disgusted by punishing your child.

Also not only did i get my ass beat i didnt have tv, computer, video game, anime and i couldnt go out side. Cell phone? shit i didnt get one till i was 18. Alot of you kids have it so good you have no idea.
Okay okay, people seem to be misinterpreting this topic. it is not about whether child abuse is wrong or right. If you think it's wrong, then you believe that the laws should be stricter. In fact, law should not allow any form of hitting by a parent towards a child. If you believe it's okay, then the extent? Simply saying "beating is right" doesn't answer the topic question because it already assumes that you accept beating your children.

There is not nothing wrong with beating your child. For example, you can't just beat your child if they spell you name incorrectly. You properly teach them how to spell your name. Saying that you turned out perfectly fine disregards and trivializes those that did not, and those that were destroyed by it. Parents are people, and you cannot expect all people to exercise reasonable care and thoughtfulness when beating their children. Your post seem to have the underlying idea that "your child turned out to be a bad adult because they weren't beaten" when it really is "your child turned out to be a bad adult because they had poor parenting [or lived in a bad community]". A parents who beats their child is not a synonym for good parenting. There are also many definitions of wrong, so if everyone were to follow your mentality, it would lead to an un-progressive society where future generations are just copies of the previous, subjecting to ideals of their parents. The idea is that parents should be GOOD parents and beat their children for the right reasons, and it should be done properly. How should that be facilitated? Should there be a limit? (my topic question)

Frivolously using the words "most" doesn't validate your argument. The people I've mention above lived in a Spanish community like I do, all the women were harsh with disciplining their child, it seems to me that in the Spanish community highly emphasize that idea that parents are god and above law. But statistics doesn't reflect that idea. Mexicans specifically highly values family values and the parent-child authoritative relationship but they are written down as likely criminals in many consensus.
Posted 12/24/13

DuppyConqueror wrote:


dankuuwut wrote:

Yeeeaaahhh, you do not have to beat a child to make it understand that stealing is illegal. In fact, you do not even have to yell at a child to make it understand that stealing is illegal. Your disapproval is enough. Because your child looks up to you. Do not give them long and confusing explanations or try to rationalize with them, simply disapprove. If that is a very difficult concept to comprehend then we are all probably better off if you do not spawn more copies of yourself. This goes to anyone it may concern.


Lol this isnt a drama. This is real life. No kid is going to be like "oh i can tell that dad is dissapointed so im not going to do it again." What the kid is really thinking is "how do i do steal with out getting caught next time?"

I stole from my step dad when i was like 7. got my ass beat. Never did it again.


Obviously, child psychology is not strong in this one. Perhaps you ought to stop projecting your own misconduct and put childhood in perspective.
2424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 12/24/13

dankuuwut wrote:


DuppyConqueror wrote:


dankuuwut wrote:

Yeeeaaahhh, you do not have to beat a child to make it understand that stealing is illegal. In fact, you do not even have to yell at a child to make it understand that stealing is illegal. Your disapproval is enough. Because your child looks up to you. Do not give them long and confusing explanations or try to rationalize with them, simply disapprove. If that is a very difficult concept to comprehend then we are all probably better off if you do not spawn more copies of yourself. This goes to anyone it may concern.


Lol this isnt a drama. This is real life. No kid is going to be like "oh i can tell that dad is dissapointed so im not going to do it again." What the kid is really thinking is "how do i do steal with out getting caught next time?"

I stole from my step dad when i was like 7. got my ass beat. Never did it again.


Obviously, child psychology is not strong in this one. Perhaps you ought to stop projecting your own misconduct and put childhood in perspective.


He's happy that he didn't end up like you.
Posted 12/24/13
The thought of hitting a child because they were being bad or did something bad is wrong. No child should be hit. ):
Just use words, jeez. Simply explain to them what's right and what's wrong. By being beat they won't learn anything.
And yelling doesn't do much good either, I see lots of kids that are being yelled at all the time and now they're "lippy" and mean to other adults and children.
I could never hit my own child. And I never will.
I was spanked once as a child after I had a screaming fit...didn't stop me from screaming or crying. But I'm glad I never got hit again.
21310 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / San Francisco, CA
Offline
Posted 12/24/13 , edited 12/24/13
I think a kid deserves a good ass whooping if he/she is repetitive after being warned once or twice. Sure there times when parents abuse this disciplinary action but thats for you to decide whether its abusive or not, as everyones level of tolerance for things are different.
24 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Over there
Offline
Posted 12/24/13
It is a good way to discipline children, but there is a line of course.

As a child I was hit when I did stupid things, and I did learn the lesson that way. I am 16 now, and my parents don't lay a hand on me anymore, but I feel like I've been repeating my mistakes more often because I know they would do nothing to me XD.

Actually I think child abuse law can be less strict. Having visible marks on you is natural after receiving a slap or a round of spanking , there is nothing wrong with using force sometimes (some children just don't learn any other way... ex. myself). The laws are still needed to be strict, but not too much.

593 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / London, UK
Offline
Posted 12/24/13
Considering that there are many studies that have shown that physical punishment does not actually work well at all (and in the studies that have found it to work it tends to be very mild- like, no more than two spanks, after other forms of punishment have been defied by the child), and can in fact lead to children becoming more aggressive and more likely to show antisocial behaviours later in life, I think child abuse laws should remain strict.
Gextiv 
55383 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/24/13
Give the little one something to lose. When they act up, threaten to take away what you gave them. I personally think this works better than physical discipline, imo.

Posted 12/24/13 , edited 12/24/13

carsarelittle wrote:


dankuuwut wrote:


DuppyConqueror wrote:


dankuuwut wrote:

Yeeeaaahhh, you do not have to beat a child to make it understand that stealing is illegal. In fact, you do not even have to yell at a child to make it understand that stealing is illegal. Your disapproval is enough. Because your child looks up to you. Do not give them long and confusing explanations or try to rationalize with them, simply disapprove. If that is a very difficult concept to comprehend then we are all probably better off if you do not spawn more copies of yourself. This goes to anyone it may concern.


Lol this isnt a drama. This is real life. No kid is going to be like "oh i can tell that dad is dissapointed so im not going to do it again." What the kid is really thinking is "how do i do steal with out getting caught next time?"

I stole from my step dad when i was like 7. got my ass beat. Never did it again.


Obviously, child psychology is not strong in this one. Perhaps you ought to stop projecting your own misconduct and put childhood in perspective.


He's happy that he didn't end up like you.


Your attempt to flabbergast and exasperate lacks character and merit. I am arguably delinquent and a stick in the wheel for the economical growth of the state, but I lose no pride acknowledging that, because I am wiser as to not misplace what made me with reason. And that is where you and I differ, or him and I for that matter, on the count of bias. If you share this mindset: "Correction, in itself, is not cruel; children, being not reasonable, can be governed only by fear. To impress this fear, is therefore one of the first duties of those who have the care of children," which was written 300 years ago by James Boswell, a famous lawyer, then you are in a mindset that belongs none other than in the 18th century. What you might want to keep in mind, though, is that to go back in time; to make slow, stall and delay, is defined in the dictionary as retard, which in other words would make you more of a stick in the wheel than myself especially in regards to being the loco parentis of generations to come. But, by all means, impress me. And if you are at all able, I will tip my hat and bow to your excellence.
2424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/13

dankuuwut wrote:


carsarelittle wrote:


dankuuwut wrote:


DuppyConqueror wrote:


dankuuwut wrote:

Yeeeaaahhh, you do not have to beat a child to make it understand that stealing is illegal. In fact, you do not even have to yell at a child to make it understand that stealing is illegal. Your disapproval is enough. Because your child looks up to you. Do not give them long and confusing explanations or try to rationalize with them, simply disapprove. If that is a very difficult concept to comprehend then we are all probably better off if you do not spawn more copies of yourself. This goes to anyone it may concern.


Lol this isnt a drama. This is real life. No kid is going to be like "oh i can tell that dad is dissapointed so im not going to do it again." What the kid is really thinking is "how do i do steal with out getting caught next time?"

I stole from my step dad when i was like 7. got my ass beat. Never did it again.


Obviously, child psychology is not strong in this one. Perhaps you ought to stop projecting your own misconduct and put childhood in perspective.


He's happy that he didn't end up like you.


Your attempt to flabbergast and exasperate lacks character and merit. I am arguably delinquent and a stick in the wheel for the economical growth of the state, but I lose no pride acknowledging that, because I am wiser as to not misplace what made me with reason. And that is where you and I differ, or him and I for that matter, on the count of bias. If you share this mindset: "Correction, in itself, is not cruel; children, being not reasonable, can be governed only by fear. To impress this fear, is therefore one of the first duties of those who have the care of children," which was written 300 years ago by James Boswell, a famous lawyer, then you are in a mindset that belongs none other than in the 18th century. What you might want to keep in mind, though, is that to go back in time; to make slow, stall and delay, is defined in the dictionary as retard, which in other words would make you more of a stick in the wheel than myself especially in regards to being the loco parentis of generations to come. But, by all means, impress me. And if you are at all able, I will tip my hat and bow to your excellence.


He's still happy he's not like you, and wouldn't switch lives with you for the world. But be happy that you got where you are without a good whooping, as I'm sure it's the reason for your success.
24397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / usa
Offline
Posted 12/25/13

DuppyConqueror wrote:

There is nothing wrong with beating a child. I used to get beat so bad by my parents and teachers back in the day. I used to get hit with switches, belts, rulers, fly swatters etc. I turned out perfectly fine id say better than those whos parents didnt hit them. When i did something wrong i got beat then id never do it again. Why? Cuz mommy gunna cut my ass if i do bad. Just talking does not work. I know because i was a kid once too.

About 95% of the kids that arent punished by there parents with a good spanking usually turn out to be spoiled and rude. And most of those same kids are the ones doing pills, x, RC's straight junkies partying all the time, especially nowadays

I just cant believe people are so disgusted by punishing your child.

Also not only did i get my ass beat i didnt have tv, computer, video game, anime and i couldnt go out side. Cell phone? shit i didnt get one till i was 18. Alot of you kids have it so good you have no idea.


there were just as many people doing drugs in the 70s ask any hippy lol if your parents grew up in that time they were popping pills smoking pot and if they say they didn't there just lying to you difference is science has proven its bad for you and now people keep records so we know also you used cus words up there^^^ mommy must not of beat you hard enough to keep the language clean guess its not that effective
24397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / usa
Offline
Posted 12/25/13

dankuuwut wrote:

Yeeeaaahhh, you do not have to beat a child to make it understand that stealing is illegal. In fact, you do not even have to yell at a child to make it understand that stealing is illegal. Your disapproval is enough. Because your child looks up to you. Do not give them long and confusing explanations or try to rationalize with them, simply disapprove. If that is a very difficult concept to comprehend then we are all probably better off if you do not spawn more copies of yourself. This goes to anyone it may concern.


yep as a father of a 5 year old I agree with you kids throw fits in stores break things its part of growing up I have better luck being patient and sitting down and telling my son what he did was wrong and letting him vent why hes acting out and 90% of the time he will change his tune clean the mess calm down and say hes sorry etc other 10% hes to tired and falls asleep or gets a time out but I always get a iam sorry the next day or after a time out without asking whats hitting him going to accomplish he might not do it but it be out of fear of getting hit not because he knows it wrong personally id rather teach my son right from wrong not scare him with fear by hitting him
DRHILL 
25456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 12/25/13
Here in NZ we have had problems with child abuse (I think we have one of the highest rates in the southern hemisphere). Our laws have been strengthen to force people to report suspected abuse (e.g. if you are a teacher, you can be fined / go to jail for not reporting).
Posted 12/25/13

graveb0und wrote:



I agree with this guy.

I feel like the next generation of kids that are coming up are gonna be a bunch of self-entitled assholes who don't understand the consequences of their actions.


Exactly this.



8069 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/13
Physical punishment shows that you lack the communication to help your child learn right from wrong.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.