First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Rating anime out of 10
Posted 12/28/13 , edited 12/28/13
Yea, mine is really weird and completely useless lol.

I'll be perfectly honest - I hate rating systems. Whether anime is art or just entertainment -either way, to me it just doesn't make sense to rate it. When I have to give ratings, I prefer the 5 point system, because that seems closer to how I actually look at an anime's value. For a 10 point system, I rate something like the below.

10 - Spectacular. Perfect or close to perfection. Genre-breaking (ie, gets action fans to watch slice of life). A good watch for most individuals. Note the "close to perfection. For me, a show need not be perfect to receive a 10. Examples - Anohana, Madoka Magica
9 - Great. Perfect for a large, general audience. Examples - ToraDora, possibly Attack on Titan ( possibly)
8 - Good. Good for a large, niche audience. Examples - WataMote, Lucky Star, Kinmoza
7 - Decent. Good for a small to medium niche audience. Examples - Aku no Hana, Makai Ouji, Sengoku Collection
6 - Average. Good for a minuscule to small niche audience who will still greatly enjoy it. Fanbase is not vocally supportive. Examples: Le Chevalier d'Eon. Dream Eater Merry. GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class
5 - Below average. Most outside of its fanbase will not enjoy it. Example - Busou Shinki, Best Student Council.
4 - Bad overall, but with many redeemable qualities. Examples - Can't think of any. EDIT - thought of one -- Zettai Bouei Leviathan
3 - Some redeemable qualities. Examples - Can't think of any
2 - Very few redeemable qualities. Morally suspect. Examples - Can't think of any. A very small number of ecchi titles might fall in here.
1 - No redeeming qualities. Morally reprehensible. I can't think of any examples. Maybe some types of hentai or something.

I'd say that probably 80%-90% of all series would probably fall in the 6-9 range. A 5 point system really works better for me. It would break down something like this.

5 covers 9-10 (from the above)
4 covers 8 (roughly with some of 9 and some of 7)
3 covers 5-7
2 covers 3-4
1 covers 1-2

I'd never give anything a zero. That just seems offensive and obnoxious to imply that it has no value whatsoever
47862 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/28/13

Insomnist wrote:


theYchromosome wrote:

I rate anime the same way I rate art, books, scientific papers, etc. To explain exactly what I mean by that would take a long time. Hopefully a short summary will give a pretty good idea though.


That's a really engaging and useful system. Ah... not much to add, just kudos.

That makes your MAL worth stalking, almost to a unique degree.


And the best part is that it applies to all matters of taste. An anime that gets an 8 is roughly equivalent to a news article or a book that gets an 8. Although I will say that books get significantly more 10's than any other medium, and I can't name a single news article that was given a 10. Music does pretty well in the system. Food rarely gets above 7, and averages roughly the low range of 5-6 (cheesecake and lobster consistently score pretty well though). Now if I could only form a record of everything I pass judgement on, I could create a mathematical analysis of my world's aesthetic well-being. If only.
47862 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/13

seekerperson7 wrote:

Yea, mine is really weird and completely useless lol.

I'll be perfectly honest - I hate rating systems. Whether anime is art or just entertainment -either way, to me it just doesn't make sense to rate it.


Can I ask why? Surely, you're willing to admit to having preferences (the fact that you can use a rating system supports that). Are you opposed to understanding what types of things you like and dislike? Is there a problem with oredering your thoughts and feelings of preference? I see comments like this with some frequency, but I don't think I ever completely understand them.

I can completely understand saying something like: "I don't pay attention to ratings" or "looking at ratings is meaningless" but at the very least, I'm sure you have some sort of internal approximation of your preferences. That's rating. Even if you have 1=didn't like, 2=liked -- you're still rating. It's all well and good to say that it doesn't make sense to rate things, but I don't see anything insensible about analyzing your tastes. So I'll just ask -- why doesn't it make sense?
Posted 12/29/13 , edited 12/29/13

theYchromosome wrote:


seekerperson7 wrote:

Yea, mine is really weird and completely useless lol.

I'll be perfectly honest - I hate rating systems. Whether anime is art or just entertainment -either way, to me it just doesn't make sense to rate it.


Can I ask why? Surely, you're willing to admit to having preferences (the fact that you can use a rating system supports that). Are you opposed to understanding what types of things you like and dislike? Is there a problem with oredering your thoughts and feelings of preference? I see comments like this with some frequency, but I don't think I ever completely understand them.

I can completely understand saying something like: "I don't pay attention to ratings" or "looking at ratings is meaningless" but at the very least, I'm sure you have some sort of internal approximation of your preferences. That's rating. Even if you have 1=didn't like, 2=liked -- you're still rating. It's all well and good to say that it doesn't make sense to rate things, but I don't see anything insensible about analyzing your tastes. So I'll just ask -- why doesn't it make sense?


Its been ingrained into me to associate ratings with objectivity, not preference. Like grades on schoolwork. You meet a certain number of standards and you are automatically awarded a rating. There's not really any question as to whether its deserved or unjust (unless you cheated or a mistake was made).

Now, because of this, It seems very counterintuitive to me to rate something based on my preference. Especially since ratings are often tied to reviews, which are intended for other people. Sure, I have no problem giving purely personal ratings for myself based on preference. I do that all the time - but its worthless to other people. AoT would probably get about a 6. Clannad probably a 4. GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class a 10. etc.

And you'll see this in most reviews as well. People have this idea of objective ratings drilled into them. That's why most justify their ratings with reasons like "The music was bad" or "the characters were cliche" or "the story wasn't paced well." They take these things (which I would argue are subjective in themselves) and assign a numerical value to it in order to help them "calculate" the rating. Now, what really bothers me is that there seems to be no way to sort out the subjectivity from the objectivity in these public ratings. Thus it makes more sense to me to just settle on a review, rather than a rating.

EDIT - just for the record, the above does not only apply to anime, but also to things like music, art, books, food, talents, etc. Unless there are standardized criterion used for judging them (like in some types of writing, music composition, and dance).

I probably didn't explain that well, but that's the gist of it. I'd be happy to clarify some parts that didn't make sense lol.
47862 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/13 , edited 12/29/13

seekerperson7 wrote:


Its been ingrained into me to associate ratings with objectivity, not preference. Like grades on schoolwork. You meet a certain number of standards and you are automatically awarded a rating. There's not really any question as to whether its deserved or unjust (unless you cheated or a mistake was made).

Now, because of this, It seems very counterintuitive to me to rate something based on my preference. Especially since ratings are often tied to reviews, which are intended for other people. Sure, I have no problem giving purely personal ratings for myself based on preference. I do that all the time - but its worthless to other people. AoT would probably get about a 6. Clannad probably a 4. GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class a 10. etc.

And you'll see this in most reviews as well. People have this idea of objective ratings drilled into them. That's why most justify their ratings with reasons like "The music was bad" or "the characters were cliche" or "the story wasn't paced well." They take these things (which I would argue are subjective in themselves) and assign a numerical value to it in order to help them "calculate" the rating. Now, what really bothers me is that there seems to be no way to sort out the subjectivity from the objectivity in these public ratings. Thus it makes more sense to me to just settle on a review, rather than a rating.

EDIT - just for the record, the above does not only apply to anime, but also to things like music, art, books, food, talents, etc. Unless there are standardized criterion used for judging them (like in some types of writing, music composition, and dance).

I probably didn't explain that well, but that's the gist of it. I'd be happy to clarify some parts that didn't make sense lol.


OK, I think I see where you're coming from. However, I'd disagree on a couple points. First -- when you say that statement of preferences (ratings) are worthless to other people. That's only true insofar as one person's preferences differ from another. The closer one's persons preferences are to another's, the more valuable the ratings are. More accurately, the more one person understands another's preferences, the more useful the ratings. So for instance, if I read one specific reviewer a lot, I will start to understand what she's looking for and what she finds enjoyable. Even if my preferences differ completely, I might even be able to glean from a poor rating that I might enjoy a show. The reason I use ratings is to look for what I should watch.

There is quite literally an impossible amount of material out there (anime included). There is not enough time in the world to watch (or read or whatever) everything, and since you want to watch the best possible shows, you can't do that without weeding some out. Doing so by the show's description seems tenuous. Popularity is hit-or-miss, and randomly picking some shows is a bit inefficient. This leaves two options (that I can see) of choosing what to watch. If you enjoyed shows by a certain director, writer, studio, artist, or whatever, then you can look for things made similarly. That will get you a little further, but leaves out anything that might be unrelated to what you've already seen. At that point, the only option I can really see is to look at the preferences of others, and get (direct or indirect) recommendations.
_____________________________________________

As for the "objectivity" of ratings, I'd say this: I don't think people think of the ratings as "objective," so much as they think of them as "true". If someone thinks that some show is "bad," then it's probably because it is. People watch anime for a reason, and for most people, I think that reason is probably "I enjoy it." This means that, by the definition of "bad," a bad show is one that's unenjoyable. Although they may not think of it like this, I think this sort of reasoning is going on in the background of their mind. Keep in mind, also, that saying "I enjoy it" is more or less the brain's approximation of it's own state. For somebody to say that she enjoys something is a really simple, although sometimes less clear, way to say that "the electrochemical signals in my brain are taking place in these locations, in this quantity, and in these patterns." Our brain isn't a very precise measure of itself, but it can approximate by saying "I enjoy it."

I'd argue, then, that this means that the analysis "I enjoy it" is an objective statement, but even if I'm wrong, it doesn't need to be objective to be true. To say that someone likes something is either true or false to some extent. And to say that someone likes one thing more than another is the same. When you keep adding comparisons, I would argue that you do end up with some sort of internal ordering, at which point you need only assign numbers. Although I'm sure there are people that do indeed think that their rating of a show is better than or applies to everyone, I think most people recognize that their ratings don't map to everyone, and when they say that "this music is bad" so matter-of-factly, it's because it is indeed a mater of fact. They don't enjoy the music, which is a fact, which by definition makes it bad. When you change the criteria from enjoyment to some other measure, you should arrive at the same process. At least, this is how I've been thinking about it. I've never been inside their heads, so maybe they do actually think liking something means everyone else will too, or that anyone that doesn't is a lesser being. Who knows?
70030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 12/29/13
In any case then, we can all agree that a rating is useless without some kind of context.
47862 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/13

Insomnist wrote:

In any case then, we can all agree that a rating is useless without some kind of context.


True dat.
29329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 12/29/13

Insomnist wrote:

In any case then, we can all agree that a rating is useless without some kind of context.


Heh, yeah.

37909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/13

It's fascinating how applicable your system is to life in general. While I (as could be guessed by my previous postings) don't really care much for using numbers, I think you descriptions of them are actually the best I've ever seen. Like, really good. More people should probably see that.

I'm looking at overhauling the way I rank anime, and I wouldn't all be surprised to see some of your concepts wiggle their way into my new system.
Posted 12/29/13


Very good response. There are just a few things i'd like to clarify just for conversation's sake. Firstly, I think your right when you say that ratings can be very useful if multiple people share similar preferences, or have consistently differing preferences. As a matter of fact, I do something similar with movies, as a close friend of mine has very different tastes in movies, so whatever he likes i'm almost certain to hate and vice versa. However, I don't see why that same information couldn't be gleamed from a review, rather than a rating. The only benefit the rating has over the review is that its faster, but that quickness can lead to valuable information lost. For example, there's one reviewer that has preferences very similar to my own, but we differ in many areas as well. He's reviewed shows and given them very high ratings despite the fact that I didn't enjoy them at all and vice versa. But where his ratings were misleading, his reviews were spot on. I can tell instantly from his reviews whether I will enjoy or dislike the shows, but the ratings are really just an unnecessary accessory that doesn't really do anything. As a matter of fact, I believe he himself once said that he disliked giving ratings, but caved in because so many people wanted to see the numbers.

Now, I agree when you say that preferences are objective as far the experience is concerned. If someone felt that a show is bad, then it probably was objectively unenjoyable to them. So in that sense, I suppose ratings are perfectly fine to organize those preferences.

I think you and I probably agree on most points, but simply have different views on the purpose of ratings. Which is fine. I've always looked at ratings as something for other people - a measure of how good show is. That always irked me just a little because one's enjoyment of a show is relative. So just because I really enjoyed a show, who am I to say its good when many others may hate it and vice versa. But I agree with you that ratings are an objective view of how much I enjoyed a show according to my own preferences, and its helpful for others with similar preferences. However, I think that my preferences may be different from most, as i'm often baffled by some ratings lol.

So I suppose i'm fine with conceding the issue. Though I still think that reviews themselves are less open to confusion, as someone could adamantly explain why they hated a show, which another person could interpret as reasons to love it. That's actually how I found K-On and Hidamari Sketch lol
37909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/13

4Corvus wrote:

Maybe at some point we should consider pulling together a rating system of our very own for this forum? The five star system hasn't been mentioned a whole lot which leads me to believe it's not all that popular, and if we came up with something comprehensive enough, the mod team might consider making it a sticky?

Just a thought.

Any interesting thought, definitely, but I doubt we could get the entire community on board to adopt an established ratings system. Everyone has their own criteria by which they are defining things as good or bad, so if one person thinks a 10 should a life-changing experience and another thinks a 10 should be the most entertaining anime they've ever seen (not saying one anime couldn't be both, but it would be hard to define a 10 as both-what if an anime meets one requirement, but not the other?), we'd be in trouble right away.
The Wise Wizard
99905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 12/29/13

Insomnist wrote:

In any case then, we can all agree that a rating is useless without some kind of context.

Despite following through with rating anime I watch on MAL, I don't check those ratings when deciding on what to watch next. What I do pay attention to is what people say about different anime. Even if most of the comments are complaints, but they are either regarding something that doesn't matter to you, or what they are complaining about is something you actually like, it can be helpful.

The only problem with this approach is you have to wait, which isn't something most people want to do. After all, we have people that get antsy if a show is posted a few hours late, so obviously they aren't going to sit back while it airs for weeks before deciding whether they are going to watch it or not. I'm certainly not going to advocate too hard for them to change their ways, however, as it takes those people watching as the anime arrives to give the info I make my decision on.

Aside from lacking detail, a rating system also has that same problem; you need to have other people watching ahead of you to give that info.

Posted 12/29/13
Wish I could let my fangirl run wild! That's impossible on cr, you guys are very lucky!!! Anyway, if I find something under a 6, I don't watch past the first episode and don't even rate it., most of the anime on cr falls into this category.

If I do find an anime I like and watch till the end..or continue to watch..I usually rate it 9 or above like Steins Gate, which I thought it was one of the best anime on cr, also liked Servant x Servant.
70030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 12/29/13 , edited 12/29/13
I pretty much pick and choose everything I watch personally as well, although a result of the rating inflation is that even solidly mediocre anime get a pretty fair grade. Usually if I check out a popular series it's because I've simply heard a lot of buzz about it, particularly in the slapstick comedy department.

I have noticed that poor Rotten Tomatoes scores have turned me back from seeing several movies recently though, some of which I think I'll regret once I see them eventually on DVD. But the problem is if I'm really hyped for something I want to go in blind, and reviews can't let me do that while ratings can.
16098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / The Milky Way
Offline
Posted 12/29/13
Ill only watch anime with an avg rating of above 6, and I usually only watch 7s if they're in a genre I like.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.