First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Evangelion 2.22 wow...
71048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/29/13 , edited 12/29/13
I don't understand Shinji-hate. I rewatched NGE last month and I still don't understand it. Shinji's a hard-pressed young man conscripted to experience horror over and over and over again, and every day on the internet he gets his balls busted because he won't let nerds vicariously enjoy some completely generic, adolescent power fantasy. As if there weren't THOUSANDS of other anime that can be watched for that. Sure, that makes him easy to hate. But inversely that just means I have that much less respect for the people who hate him. ESPECIALLY in 3.33, where he

...

It's a stupid hate train people have been riding on for close to two decades and I hope it wrecks.

So I can point and laugh at the fireball.

/end_rant
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/13
I wonder if it's a coincidence that the more serious changes were made almost exactly at the same point where I thought the Original started to suck.
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 12/29/13

kdroberts wrote:

2.22's dummy plug scene was fantastic. Just as horrifying as the original if not moreso.

Overall, I still prefer the original series and EoE to the Rebuilds, though.


Heavy disagreement here! The Dummy Plug scene had it's own merits, but without the 2-episode build up and cut-away reactions the entire event wasn't have as strong.

I'll have to rewatch 2.22 again, as I don't remember if Shinji knew who was in Eva5, but in the show he did not, and it said a lot about his character.

The original scene from a cinematic standpoint was superior to me, it gave a far stronger visual reaction, and since the episode ended at that unlike the movie, which had to continue, even more so.

Aaaaaand my favorite episode of Evangelion was the episode following the Dummy Plug, which the movie pretends never happened. Shinji still leaves, but walking away had a different feel than "siting alone in a bunker"
Which Shinji did do in the original, but after he walked away from all the stuff happening.

And Glasses-Bitch was really unnecessary, which is unfortunate. She should've been integrated much better than she was. Of the original pilots, she's too different. If they shoe-horned her into the Gurren Lagann movies, it would have made much more sense.
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 12/29/13

Insomnist wrote:

I don't understand Shinji-hate. I rewatched NGE last month and I still don't understand it. Shinji's a hard-pressed young man conscripted to experience horror over and over and over again, and every day on the internet he gets his balls busted because he won't let nerds vicariously enjoy some completely generic, adolescent power fantasy. As if there weren't THOUSANDS of other anime that can be watched for that. Sure, that makes him easy to hate. But inversely that just means I have that much less respect for the people who hate him. ESPECIALLY in 3.33, where he

...

It's a stupid hate train people have been riding on for close to two decades and I hope it wrecks.

So I can point and laugh at the fireball.


I'll forever remember Episode 19 of Evangelion.

That episode had me and my sister, as we joint-watched the show on Marathon, SHOUTING our praise as Shinji. He did EXACTLY what we wanted him to do, like a BOSS.

But I've noticed a cultural trend in Japanese stories. Walking away like a Boss, something Shinji just did, is commonly a negative thing. You're supposed to do your Job the best you can! Not be all "noooope, fuck this, and this, and that, fuck everything" about the job.

The ENTIRE EPISODE had every single character walk up to Shinji and have them guilt-trip him over and over with the "I thought you were better than this" and "You're horrible" and "You should stay" and BLAHBLAHBLAH.

A freaking Angel walks down, and everybody else gets their asses beat, and Shinji's still all "fuck it, I'm out" and WE PRAISED HIM.

Oh the praise... I don't hate Shinji myself, but I wish the world ended right there and he never piloted again...because fuck you Nerv, if you don't want your employee's to quit don't treat'm like shit!
17879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Online
Posted 12/29/13


I have to wonder what Shinji would have been if he had a strong male role model? Like Kamina from Gurren Lagann

13028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/13 , edited 12/29/13
the star-wars-ing of my favorite anime is not welcome
23631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/29/13
Had shingi been strong, the whole project would have failed. Leave it at that to minimize spoiling. Reason people dislike shingi is the same reason people dislike most similar characters. The whole pity me and let somebody else do it. Had it been reactive to a previous situation, okay. But from the start he doesnt think nor act. Same attitude has me giving negatives to valvrave. Most of the problems and results in that show are result of characters who are more about being emo instead of any responsibility or drive.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/29/13
Needs more Mari.
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/13

uncletim wrote:



I have to wonder what Shinji would have been if he had a strong male role model? Like Kamina from Gurren Lagann



I think that would've missed the point. Most people think that when you experience some sort of trauma or are depressed, you can just use all that pent up emotion to make yourself better. But that's not true all the time. It's really hard.
17879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Online
Posted 12/29/13

Angerudusto wrote:


uncletim wrote:



I have to wonder what Shinji would have been if he had a strong male role model? Like Kamina from Gurren Lagann



I think that would've missed the point. Most people think that when you experience some sort of trauma or are depressed, you can just use all that pent up emotion to make yourself better. But that's not true all the time. It's really hard.


I just think Shinji is getting a bum deal in all of this

6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/13 , edited 12/29/13


This is exactly why I dislike the Original. Humanity clearly didn't deserve to be saved, Shinji had absolutely no reason to come back, and yet, he does. And all that came of it was more suffering. Shinji could of just ended it all by walking away, but Gainax was contractually obligated to complete the season. I guess it just boils down to: "Why should you face your problems if there's no way you can solve them?" And it's not as if he actually tried to solve them, anyway.

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.