First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Should you learn Japanese? You tell me.
50357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/30/13
I tried. I lived in japan for 3 years for work (actually deployed out to sea for half of it) and with all the anime I watch plus being there I learned a lot, but that obviously couldn't be much anyway so I bought Rosetta Stone - Japanese. Was fun and really easy to learn right up til it tried teaching me their way of counting items; it's not "two pencils" like we would say it, it's more like "two shafts of pencil". It lost me pretty hard right there, I won't be able to learn some things without a teacher lol pretty disappointing, I feel it's a very worthy hobby (and can be even more than that, if you have a job that can send you overseas or frequently meets japanese [or straight up teach japanese here, or english there]).

TL;DR - Yes, given the opportunity, learn it. Absent the opportunity, make an opportunity by yourself.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/30/13

onibrotonel wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

Before I even touch Japanese, German and Russian are my two target of languages worth learning.

RUSSIAN. LOOKS. CHALLENGING. TO. ME.


Are you trying to operate a space shuttle?

All of the instructions in it are in Russian. hahaha



I still want to learn though but before I reach Russian I want to learn German.


52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/30/13
I'd rather learn Italian first or polish up my English...
CaelK 
21018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/30/13 , edited 12/30/13
The otaku reason to learn Japanese: you never have to worry about releases not making it over the Pacific. EVER.

Also, if you're genuinely interested in the language, you should learn it. I mean, if you say, "I didn't learn X even though I was interested in it because I didn't think it'd be useful," then you weren't really interested in it to begin with. If you really wanna learn the language, screw anyone who tells you otherwise.

Heck, worst/best case scenario, you visit Japan because you like the place (and you'd go there sooner than some other country) and you need to talk to emergency services. I had a really important conversation in Japanese with some safety officials on Mount Fuji because one of my friends needed some help. I've also had to talk to hotel staff about reservation mixups, and it went relatively smoothly when I used Japanese.
Posted 12/30/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:

polish up my English...


Yes, this ^

4961 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/30/13


I don't know about Japanese, but I am trying to learn Korean. My methods are reading Manhwa, watching tons of K-dramas (subtitled), and listening to K-pop. I've been eating Korean dishes and use Korean utensils for a more complete experience too....
3051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Galaxy
Offline
Posted 12/30/13
Its not offered in Highschool,so I can't.Although I have been wanting to for a long time.
12441 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Online
Posted 12/30/13

qualeshia3 wrote:

Before I even touch Japanese, German and Russian are my two target of languages worth learning.

RUSSIAN. LOOKS. CHALLENGING. TO. ME.


I can speak russian,german and english.

Russian may be very hard fo you to learn.
9730 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/30/13
I'd prefer to put my time into learning or touching up on useful languages for the area I live in (English, French), or the most widely spoken languages: Mandarin, Spanish and English being the top three. Japanese is a pretty isolated language and only ranks 9th in number of native speakers. Of course if I end up living in Japan then my opinion will change.
3731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / イブキド
Offline
Posted 12/30/13

koji8123 wrote:

I'd have to agree pretty much with what the article is. And more. I've been trying to learn as many key phrases in Japanese and reading more than just hiragana. It's been rough, and I started when I was still a pre-teen.

That being said, Japanese isn't the only language I want to learn, and I eventually would like to learn Arabic, Russian, and the rest of the Spanish I should already know. I'd like to one day visit Japan for maybe a few weeks as vacation, but I'm sure with all the English there and How many natives speak English there, I'll bet I could spend those weeks without having to speak Japanese once. I learn it for myself and not so much for anime or any other dumb reason many people seem to do.


I don't see how learning Japanese just for anime is a dumb reason, it makes it easier to watch. That being said, i only know a tiny bit of Japanese, and I don't think I want to learn anymore
15075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/30/13
Some of the stuff written in the article could apply to a lot of things..."Why learn this when you could learn something else" (paraphrasing). The reason someone decides to learn something on their own is because they want to learn it.

Learning Japanese is not easy though and I think people should understand what they're getting into. I'm self learning Japanese (using online resources) and I have to devote time to study every single day. If you don't put the time in and sort of learn haphazardly (like I used to), then it really would take several years or longer to get anywhere useful.
GerryO 
19624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Tyler, Texas
Offline
Posted 12/30/13 , edited 12/30/13
I had a really tough time just learning english (my native language is spanish btw) so I not really looking forward to learning a whole new language
As much as I love anime I think i'll just keep to my Dubs and subs, even If i wanted to learn japanese I just don't have the time nowadays to put into it what with College and Work
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/30/13

Senshi00 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

Before I even touch Japanese, German and Russian are my two target of languages worth learning.

RUSSIAN. LOOKS. CHALLENGING. TO. ME.


I can speak russian,german and english.

Russian may be very hard fo you to learn.



You're right but I'm gonna go through with it.
1126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 12/30/13 , edited 12/30/13
I would love to learn Japanese but it seems so hard and i have no-on to teach me
38419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/30/13
I've been interested in learning Japanese since high school but there were no classes offered in my area and back then there was no Internet. Trying to learn Japanese just from books and audio tapes was a study in frustration.

Now with so many options available I've delved back in. I have no specific goals other than to whet my own desire. Will I ever be a proficient speaker? Probably not. I don't have anyone to converse with regularly. I do hope to one day be able to read and write Japanese and perhaps watch anime without subtitles.

I truly love the language, both its written and spoken forms, and that if nothing else will propel me, slow and steady as it may be, forward.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.