First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Kingdom
18046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/30/13
Plot Summary:
In the Warring States Period of ancient China (475-221 BCE), Shin and Hyou are war-orphans in the kingdom of Qin. They dream of one day proving themselves on the battlefield. One day, however, Hyou is taken to the palace by a minister. Winding up on the losing side of a power-struggle, Hyou manages to return to the village, barely alive. Shin then meets a boy who closely resembles Hyou, Ei Sei. For now he is the king of Qin; later he will become the emperor Shi Huangdi.

Genres: action, drama
Themes: historical, politics, swordplay, war

From ANN

18046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/2/14
Ch 293 - 295 are out!
18046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/10/14
The latest chapters are out.
415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/11/14 , edited 2/11/14

fanology wrote:

The latest chapters are out.


I'd ask where, but rules

415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/11/14
Probably the best manga I've read though, top of the list
What frustrates me to no end is that some people took their sweet time and effort to translate the Japanese names to Chinese names in the anime, and apparently that got popular, so it's impossible to find any anime that uses the original (as in the manga) Japanese names.
Imagine hearing Hyou and seeing Piao on the subtitles. Uhm, no thanks.
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/14
THE DUKE !!!!
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/13/14
sei is awesome!
2160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 2/13/14
agreed
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
Guys i will be reviewing every latest chapters of Kingdom as soon as they come out, check out my chapter's 326 and 327 review
and make you sure subscribe. I know there aren't a lot of youtubers who review kingdom let alone release early chapter reviews.

so here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCS8lL1EKW4
35245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
I used to get so upset witnessing this manga not being well known..
But now people are considering it.
2160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
Kingdom 328-330
Basically its time to kick ass.
Also major props to the scanlators who just celebrated their first anniversary.
1 year, 317 chapters of Kingdom.

I think if the anime ever gets to the coalition army arc and gets put on crunchyroll, people will go crazy.
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/16/14 , edited 2/16/14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAhNmh6olCI&feature=youtu.be

Check out my Kingdom review for the last 3 chapters, Sei ftw!
16419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 2/19/14

josiah_sarunn wrote:

Probably the best manga I've read though, top of the list
What frustrates me to no end is that some people took their sweet time and effort to translate the Japanese names to Chinese names in the anime, and apparently that got popular, so it's impossible to find any anime that uses the original (as in the manga) Japanese names.
Imagine hearing Hyou and seeing Piao on the subtitles. Uhm, no thanks.


I just went through that same-ish problem...ish...

The names are Chinese, but have to use Japanese characters. So you got a proper-ish name, but the fandom is rather confused on how they should translate it. Xin or Shin? They don't have/know/use the character for Xin, so they're using Shin to provide the proper name.

This makes the Subtitles confusing, but far far more so for English speakers. We have to translate a barrier now. Xin isn't Zen, it's Shin, and they sound rather similar to boot!

So you got Qiang Lei being said Kyou Kai, which is a bit too Japanese for a Chinese name....but you can tell where the roots came from. SO it's acceptable.

ANYHOW. I want to start a Discussion thread for it's Anime, but dear GOD is the title nich. Like seriously, just Kingdom? KINGDOM WITH NOTHING ADDED? THIS ISN'T THE 80'S! YOU CAN'T NAME YOUR ANIME "BASEBALL" AND GET AWAY WITH IT! Jesus....why no add a sub-title? At least to your anime? If someone ever picks it up for distribution and Translation, they better re-title it like they did Attack on Titan, else this will stay invisible.

That said, amazing storytelling. I'm probably going to pick up the Manga now that I've reached the end of a proper arc in Season 2. The characters and storytelling are trope-filled generic, but done with great execution. Outside the horrible opening arc(combined with Season 1's horrible horrible horrible animation) this show really lost out on so many fans.

I'll give it a year, I think Kingdom has plenty of room to grow a fandom.

But....yeah. Now that Xin has FINALLY BOUGHT PANTS AND ARMOR, Kingdom has hit it's stride. I'm talking like, straight up hill from here stride.
415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/20/14

Felstalker wrote:

The names are Chinese, but have to use Japanese characters. So you got a proper-ish name, but the fandom is rather confused on how they should translate it. Xin or Shin? They don't have/know/use the character for Xin, so they're using Shin to provide the proper name.

This makes the Subtitles confusing, but far far more so for English speakers. We have to translate a barrier now. Xin isn't Zen, it's Shin, and they sound rather similar to boot!

So you got Qiang Lei being said Kyou Kai, which is a bit too Japanese for a Chinese name....but you can tell where the roots came from. SO it's acceptable.

ANYHOW. I want to start a Discussion thread for it's Anime, but dear GOD is the title nich. Like seriously, just Kingdom? KINGDOM WITH NOTHING ADDED? THIS ISN'T THE 80'S! YOU CAN'T NAME YOUR ANIME "BASEBALL" AND GET AWAY WITH IT! Jesus....why no add a sub-title? At least to your anime? If someone ever picks it up for distribution and Translation, they better re-title it like they did Attack on Titan, else this will stay invisible.

That said, amazing storytelling. I'm probably going to pick up the Manga now that I've reached the end of a proper arc in Season 2. The characters and storytelling are trope-filled generic, but done with great execution. Outside the horrible opening arc(combined with Season 1's horrible horrible horrible animation) this show really lost out on so many fans.

I'll give it a year, I think Kingdom has plenty of room to grow a fandom.

But....yeah. Now that Xin has FINALLY BOUGHT PANTS AND ARMOR, Kingdom has hit it's stride. I'm talking like, straight up hill from here stride.


Yeah I get what you mean! I guess after spending like a year getting used to the myriads of the different character's adapted Japanese names in the Manga everything got terribly confusing seeing the Chinese names in the anime. But it's perfectly understandable for people that prefer Chinese who want that historically accurate name aspect.

And I'm totally for the anime name, literally when anyone mentions 'Kingdom' I immediately think of the anime and manga, it's so original you wonder why no one else did it before nomsayin? 'Kingdom: The Animation" is kind of appealing, but calling it 'War' would be problematic

I also highly suggest you get into the manga asap. When I first got into it I did some all-nighters doing straight reading and it got a bit dull. Now I'm finished and waiting for the chapters to update and wow - the wait is always worth it.
16419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 2/20/14

josiah_sarunn wrote:


Yeah I get what you mean! I guess after spending like a year getting used to the myriads of the different character's adapted Japanese names in the Manga everything got terribly confusing seeing the Chinese names in the anime. But it's perfectly understandable for people that prefer Chinese who want that historically accurate name aspect.

And I'm totally for the anime name, literally when anyone mentions 'Kingdom' I immediately think of the anime and manga, it's so original you wonder why no one else did it before nomsayin? 'Kingdom: The Animation" is kind of appealing, but calling it 'War' would be problematic

I also highly suggest you get into the manga asap. When I first got into it I did some all-nighters doing straight reading and it got a bit dull. Now I'm finished and waiting for the chapters to update and wow - the wait is always worth it.


If you take a moment, you can decipher the differences between the Japanese and Chinese language, if only a little. I can see where Qiang Lei turned into Kyou Kai.

The largest problem is how dull the name is. It's undescriptive and other titles elaborate themselves to hide it. Google Kingdom and you get Magi; Kingdom of Magi, which is far far far more popular right now. I'm just waiting for Xin to start using that Polearm/lance/spear/awesomesauce weapon already, forget the sword! I know it's the weapon of a hero....but it's not manly enough anymore.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.