First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Why should I care about Funimation?
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 1/1/14
Alternatives. They have some stuff CR doesn't have, CR has some stuff they don't have. That's literally the ONLY reason.
PCBFan 
33033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
ℒℴѵℯℒᎥѵℯ
Offline
Posted 1/1/14
I need some physical copies at least and Funimation is just right for that along with Sentai, Bandai, VIZ and NIS.
17205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/1/14
I watch funamation's subbed anime on youtube. So did you make this thread to change your mind or to perpetuate your opinion?
GerryO 
19624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Tyler, Texas
Offline
Posted 1/1/14
They provide physical distribution and release some quality box sets
Funimation gives us the best quality Dubs and they get some of the anime that crunchyroll doesn't
If I had a problem it would be that my wallet takes a beating from them
58 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Cookie Land
Offline
Posted 1/1/14
All these pro-Funimation guys....

You guys Do know they tried to sue a bunch of guys for DL a One Piece episode? (and failed) So, basically shafting the fans.

Media needs to be spread in order to get fans in the first place(This is why we have libraries--because books have been around forever and people know this). people arn''t gonna pay for what they don't know about.

Forget the whole dubbing issues--the fact they tried to blow over he fanbase should be your primary concern.


The Wise Wizard
100969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 1/1/14 , edited 1/1/14

JobClass wrote:

All these pro-Funimation guys....

You guys Do know they tried to sue a bunch of guys for DL a One Piece episode? (and failed) So, basically shafting the fans.

Media needs to be spread in order to get fans in the first place(This is why we have libraries--because books have been around forever and people know this). people arn''t gonna pay for what they don't know about.

Forget the whole dubbing issues--the fact they tried to blow over he fanbase should be your primary concern.

You say download, but the fact is that any lawsuit over torrents are actually suing for uploading, which any torrent client does by default. The reason is simply; suing for downloading wouldn't be worth it.

You seem to be glossing over that uploading (or downloading) someone else's copyrighted material without permission is plain and simply illegal, whereas libraries are not.

The fact that Funimation offered those episodes via free ad-supported streaming doesn't exactly engender sympathy for the torrenters, either.
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 1/1/14

Aethix0 wrote:

The problem I have with Funi is that the quality of their translations tends to be all over the place. I've seen a fair number of good translations from them, and some really horrible ones, like the index/railgun series.


Now, I don't have a problem with the post, but I feel it warrants slight discussion.

I believe by "Quality of translations" you're referring to localization. Something 4kids did to the point of renaming rice balls Donuts, and pretending Japan didn't exist AND was extremely offensive to children.

Funimation tends to localize their anime. From spicing up the language the One Piece cast uses (Luffy telling someone to quit bitching was hilarious, but like....really?) to turning Panty&Stocking with Garterbelt's tryhard Japanese voice track into Hilarious English Dub comedy. The idea is to appeal to the more casual american market, and can do with either a light touch or a heavy hand. One Piece has a huge fandom but little public appeal. If you're buying those DVD sets, you've seen it in Japanese. They're able to cut loose and translate it how they wish, and will provide you with the alternative tracks you were already planning on using.
Then you have shows like Bacanno and Michiko&Hatchin, which really do benefit from a strong English voice cast, I'll suggest these in your native language 100% of the time.

They win some they lose some. Funimation doesn't generally pick up the heavier cultural anime either, you hardly see the type of shows Sentai Filmworks deals with. Mysterious Girlfriend X is my pick of an anime Funimation wouldn't dare touch with a 10-foot pole. It doesn't sell and is niche as fuck.

Funimation deals with the easy sells, and provide the cheapest prices with a guaranteed dub! Everytime I want an anime from Sentai, I have to cross my fingers and hope they decide it's worth the English Dubbing process, as that shit is EXPENSIVE. Ain't everybody got the cash to drop on that.
I remember watching Trigun and Fooly Cooly back in the day, and wanting to own them. But can you find them anywhere? No....no you can't. I once found a FLCL Box set at a con, it was selling for $140! By the time I found my sister to pool or cash together and nab it, it was gone.
Funimation gets the license, I picked it up at Best Buy for $15 back in November, got myself a $15 copy Trigun while I was at it.

Funimation is able to price things low man, and if you want to collect series like me, anything they license is cheap enough to buy.

Unlike Aniplex charging over 100 for Madoka Magica, IT'S 12 EPISODES, WHY AM I BUYING THEM 4 AT A TIME? WHY DO YOU HATE YOUR CUSTOMERS?
Posted 1/1/14
they put the fun in funimation
39121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Online
Posted 1/1/14

JobClass wrote:

All these pro-Funimation guys....

You guys Do know they tried to sue a bunch of guys for DL a One Piece episode? (and failed) So, basically shafting the fans.

Media needs to be spread in order to get fans in the first place(This is why we have libraries--because books have been around forever and people know this). people arn''t gonna pay for what they don't know about.

Forget the whole dubbing issues--the fact they tried to blow over he fanbase should be your primary concern.




And you DO know that they were FORCED to file that suit by Toei, right? Toei is one of the studios that is pretty greedy and tight fisted on their shows in foreign distribution. Funi eventually dropped the suit against EVERY person.
2450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / The heart of Linc...
Offline
Posted 1/1/14
I have beef with them over the way they treated us fmab fans.

They stopped doing bluray releases here and to top it off, they then stopped usa versions working over here too.
In the end i got a legit region free bluray player, that way i got rest of fmab on bluray legit & crazy thing is funi learnt from it. Cos fmab is now on bluray here, yet it was still cheaper getting the other volumes from usa then to nip to hmv.

Also hate how they saw sign up online yet they exclude the uk from online watching. If they took the initiative, then they'd be more popular over here.

The insanity is I want legit anime, I want their dubs (9/10 work and grow on me) yet they are the ones causing piracy as the sole option or my choice, to buy elsewhere.

The crazy thing is that it's not just funi, its a lot of the companies if not most. It's only the last 2 years has this improved with the likes of crunchyroll and wakanim! Though mostly crunchyroll.
16931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/1/14
Eh ... because they pick up licenses that CR don't have ? Other than that i prefer CR more.
71060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 1/1/14 , edited 1/1/14
My only bone with Funimation is that their subtitles around 2009 (including those for FLCL and Summer Wars) were awful. The font was tiny, and they didn't stand out well against the background so they were near-impossible to follow.

But they fixed that at some point, so I have no complaints. And I'm very thankful that they license and publish many things that I like to own, besides making the vast majority of their catalog of licensed anime freely available online.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/1/14
This thread just feels rude to me (maybe it's the OP? Yeah...). Anyway, everything I wanted to say has already been said in some form or another so I got nothin'.

It feels as if this thread is an excuse to say: "Why use a legal service when I can watch illegal content for free (even though Funimation offers a free service) on the internet? Why should I care if one of the arguably biggest distributors of home video and streaming of anime in the West goes under?".

I don't know. I'm probably just irritated. I think my biggest gripe with anime is the community. Right now I feel like Misato whenever she has to deal with the people in her life.



71060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 1/1/14 , edited 1/1/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:

This thread just feels rude to me (maybe it's the OP? Yeah...). Anyway, everything I wanted to say has already been said in some form or another so I got nothin'.

It feels as if this thread is an excuse to say: "Why use a legal service when I can watch illegal content for free (even though Funimation offers a free service) on the internet? Why should I care if one of the arguably biggest distributors of home video and streaming of anime in the West goes under?".

I don't know. I'm probably just irritated. I think my biggest gripe with anime is the community. Right now I feel like Misato whenever she has to deal with the people in her life.

This was also my impression, but I think the OP is from the UK so that does change a few things. But still, it's a simple cost-benefit analysis. It's not Funimation's fault that licensing all their stuff in the UK isn't economically feasible.
30791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 1/1/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:
I think my biggest gripe with anime is the community.


You're definitely not alone there.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.