First  Prev  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next  Last
Post Reply The Irregular at Magic High School Discussions
47366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M/F - Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/12/14

Sacae89 wrote:


kitsuneshoujo wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

In terms of writing, the sister's character is probably a byproduct of Tatsuya's. That sort of deference to the protagonist, while rather extreme in this case, fits into the power fantasy behind Mary Sue/Gary Stu stories. If the author had made Miyuki a brilliant, independent young woman, she'd be stealing Tatsuya's spotlight instead of adding to it.


I agree with this, Tatsuya's Stu-ness is something that can't be discussed without talking about the manga... until it get's revealed in the anime at least. Also it's spoilers.

I'm liking the anime though, don't get me wrong, but I still dislike the siblings.


Is it possible to dislike the main character and like the show?

I mean, you cant root for them in their fight then can you?


*thinks about this*

Yes. Yes it is possible to hate the MC's so much that you are rooting for the "bad guys" and as a byproduct like the show anyway... there was a show like this recently, but hell if I can think of what it is right now. xD

Also yes, I can still root for the MC's because the vice-president is just as obnoxious... so it's still somehow fulfilling to see him get his ass kicked. lol
2067 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/12/14

kitsuneshoujo wrote:

Were not talking about the manga though, we're not even talking about things that haven't happened yet. You asked where we were getting our conclusions on the characters and I told you.

I asked, got an answer and drew another conclusion. 2 episodes in I can't understand what you mean by saying that the MC is a "gary stu", and you drawing those conclusions from other adaptations actually spoils me some of the suspense about Tatsuya's abilities. I doubt you meant it but nonetheless, I'd appreciate not reading all that many more impressions from the other adaptations.

19853 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 5/26/14

kitsuneshoujo wrote:

*thinks about this*

Yes. Yes it is possible to hate the MC's so much that you are rooting for the "bad guys" and as a byproduct like the show anyway... there was a show like this recently, but hell if I can think of what it is right now. xD

Also yes, I can still root for the MC's because the vice-president is just as obnoxious... so it's still somehow fulfilling to see him get his ass kicked. lol


do you also read the light novels? or just the manga?

61134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / NJ
Online
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 5/26/14


Spirit save me! is he better in the LN?

47366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M/F - Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/12/14
Spirithunter: I just read the manga, is the LN any better?


windsagio
To your first post (which I didn't quote), I like to use the term "Insertion fantasy". It sounds dirty too, which is a bonus.


~~~

About the sister, it's kind of weird... I feel like it's better that they're not pretending. She's not a "STRONG AND ASSERTIVE FEMALE CHARACTER!!!!!!" who falls to pieces whenever her man is around, she's a somewhat weak support character. At least they're not insulting my intelligence with it ><


At the risk of sounding like I am counterdicting myself, I have to say I dislike this type of female character more than the doormat that Miyuki is. It's like a bait and switch, here's this awesome badass female lead (NOT saying this is what the sister is)... and then they stick in some studmuffin for no apparent reason and she falls to pieces because the D is on the scene now and it renders her brainless and incompetent. PUH-lease.
61134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / NJ
Online
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 4/12/14
Doormat is still annoying though.



h9902014 wrote:

Yea, I have read some of the LN, and I keep forgetting what total a CREEP his sister is. I really hate the incest route. Seriously, you guys are disliking her for all the wrong reasons.


Still, Madhouse is doing a great job with animation and the soundtrack, I like it a lot.







this is annoying as well the spoiler part.
47366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M/F - Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/12/14
This is true.
16139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 4/12/14

kitsuneshoujo wrote:



At the risk of sounding like I am counterdicting myself, I have to say I dislike this type of female character more than the doormat that Miyuki is. It's like a bait and switch, here's this awesome badass female lead (NOT saying this is what the sister is)... and then they stick in some studmuffin for no apparent reason and she falls to pieces because the D is on the scene now and it renders her brainless and incompetent. PUH-lease.


Well just keep watching, I think your impression of her will become different. I still dislike her though for different reasons.
61134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / NJ
Online
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 4/12/14
If the sister was the only chick in this show I couldnt watch. But she is balanced out by Erika and the Discipline chick.
47366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M/F - Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/12/14

Sacae89 wrote:

If the sister was the only chick in this show I couldnt watch. But she is balanced out by Erika and the Discipline chick.


And the glasses girl (who is my personal favourite).

Anyway, this was fun, but I'm gonna go to bed now.
61134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / NJ
Online
Posted 4/12/14

kitsuneshoujo wrote:


Sacae89 wrote:

If the sister was the only chick in this show I couldnt watch. But she is balanced out by Erika and the Discipline chick.


And the glasses girl (who is my personal favourite).

Anyway, this was fun, but I'm gonna go to bed now. :)


I dont know much about her yet, she hasnt left a strong impression yet. But Ill keep an eye out. Goodnight.
19853 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 5/26/14

Sacae89 wrote:



Spirit save me! is he better in the LN?



the series gets a lot better. so just give it some time. it starts off a bit slow, in order to give adequate background information. the difference that is noticeable from manga/anime and light novels is that there is a lot more exposition and information in the latter. so maybe that makes you have a deeper understanding of the motivations of the characters, especially tatsuya because there are a lot of monologues.
now i don't expect manga nor anime to cover it in such great detail, because that would take too much time, and would only bore everyone to death. in fact i am happy that the anime does include some of the monologues from tatsuya, otherwise we would have absolutely no idea what he is thinking, because he is hard to read.





in a sense what you see is what you get, because the MC is not going to suddenly get a mental breakdown and start going berserk and/or go into a phase of depression. he will remain calm and assertive of his surrounding. and methodically take down anybody he deems as an enemy, which you will see in the coming episodes. this is just his modus operandi

the MC is emotionless and very analytical, which are both qualities that i enjoy from an MC. there are other characters who are as powerful as the MC. i honestly like the way tatsuya is. perhaps i just enjoy characters such as L light and Lelouch. strategic minds, whose means are outmaneuvering one's opponents to achieve their objectives. so idk some just seek different qualities from characters. to each their own is what i would have to say to that one.

one thing is certain though the side characters, do have a role in this series, erica is an important character in the first arc, and honoka will have her time to shine in the second arc.

i am not sure if this is what you wanted to hear, but i just felt that i should speak my mind.

TL:DR tatsuya is a badass, but he does not try to be one. he tries very hard to not expose his true powers, and the fact that we are only able to see a glimpse of his powers, makes this characters very mysterious and interesting. you want to know what he is capable of; you want to know what he is going to do next, and what he is thinking.

this all captured my attention and made me marathon 4 volumes in 2 days, literally.
38057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 4/12/14
a lil' lite with the spoiler tags there, eh?

Edit: Specifically, please don't list a ton of info about the main character that the show is currently withholding (outside of a tag).
16139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/13/14 , edited 5/26/14

Spirithunter123456 wrote:

the MC is emotionless and very analytical, which are both qualities that i enjoy from an MC. there are other characters who are as powerful as the MC. i honestly like the way tatsuya is. perhaps i just enjoy characters such as L light and Lelouch. strategic minds, whose means are outmaneuvering one's opponents to achieve their objectives. so idk some just seek different qualities from characters. to each their own is what i would have to say to that one.

one thing is certain though the side characters, do have a role in this series, erica is an important character in the first arc, and honoka will have her time to shine in the second arc.

i am not sure if this is what you wanted to hear, but i just felt that i should speak my mind.


Dude, you should probably spoiler tag the whole first paragraph of your post(not the stuff I quoted) just to be safe.

Also, as person who has also read a couple of the light novels, what to you think about Miyuki?

Personally for me I think


19853 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/13/14 , edited 5/26/14

windsagio wrote:

a lil' lite with the spoiler tags there, eh?

Edit: Specifically, please don't list a ton of info about the main character that the show is currently withholding (outside of a tag).


done


h9902014 wrote:

Dude, you should probably spoiler tag the whole first paragraph of your post(not the stuff I quoted) just to be safe.

Also, as person who has also read a couple of the light novels, what to you think about Miyuki?

Personally for me I think




well you are right both literally and figuratively. but she does not annoy me too much. not sure but i just perceive her as the ideal sister character that you will find in a lot of animes. good thing though, she is powerful and can get scary and cold. if you know what i mean.
First  Prev  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.