First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Finished attack on titan
Posted 1/6/14

Insomnist wrote:


drakedogma wrote:

I can understand Naruto and One Piece, but how exactly is Bleach milked? Bleach never had a spin off show nor did it have that much movies, it seemed like a normal anime to me

They're not allowed to retire, the authors will keep making up new arcs for them until one or the other drops dead.

Bleach also had 165 filler episodes, over 45% of the series was pretty much tacked on.


Really? I heard that when it comes to Shonen Jump, if your manga is in the bottom rankings for at least 10 weeks, the manga is canned immediately, or something similar to that, I mean Bleach hasn't been doing well in the ratings in the first place, given that rule, I find it hard to believe that they are obligated to stay on when they can purposely make the manga suck for 10 weeks before being kicked out.
29162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / The Sarlacc Pit
Offline
Posted 1/6/14

eightcar wrote:


Hebi_God wrote:

There's going to be a season 2... don't worry, I'm sure they plan to milk out as much as they can from the series.


Not a big AoT fanboy here, but your milking it comment is way off.

If you want to talk about milking an anime may I suggest you see any of the following:

One Piece
Naruto
Bleach


They define milking an anime!


While those are the most obvious examples, plenty of shows 'milk it' by making another season after the first garners success.

I point to the example of Sword Art Online. Did any of us leave that show going, "Yeah, there is no way they are going to make another season. I mean, what's there to gain?"

I would like to quote the podcast Painkiller Already, who had some words to say on capitalism: "If the moneys there, we don't care!"
23631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/6/14 , edited 1/6/14

Duhyes wrote:

What does milking anime mean?

Will bleach anime continue soon since the manga is still going on?


Also for AoT, did it finish the female titan arc? and at s2 it will be the 4th arc?

Also how long will the manga still go on? Will they end soon or will continue very long?


By definition, milking is an extraction process. In terms of something like anime and manga, you have your start with the base literature, then it branches to other media. Take AoT.

By base, AoT is a serialized manga
Anime came next, really exploding it's popularity.
Following that has been merchandising.

Typically a series will branch off in two directions here. One is that it will continue in it's story direction until completion. This is where the manga is supposed to be heading. The writer said he has a pretty good synopsis of the full story, and plans to resolve it before it gets too long. The anime follows the manga quite well so I would expect them to finish off similar. Right now there isn't enough manga material completed for the animators to base their second season off of. Emulation of the original artist's style is pretty important for a top tier anime. These first run of figurines for the show look to be of high quality from the previews so I do not consider milking. Collectibles are quite desirable. (I in fact will probably order the set :3)

Milking the series is all the generic spinoff stuff that would happen outside of this. Examples are stuff like video games that get quickly rushed. I don't care how good the 3ds is, I seriously doubt it can come close to capturing what an AoT game has the possibility. Then you have other novelty things (sasha knife and fork extra for 3ds game?). Typically the most milking comes in terms of filler and spinoff. We are seeing alot of AoT spinoff coming out already. Essentially the milking occurs once the main body of the story is gone, and now it is just the carcass reprocessed into a storylike substance.
71056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/6/14 , edited 1/6/14

drakedogma wrote:


Insomnist wrote:


drakedogma wrote:

I can understand Naruto and One Piece, but how exactly is Bleach milked? Bleach never had a spin off show nor did it have that much movies, it seemed like a normal anime to me

They're not allowed to retire, the authors will keep making up new arcs for them until one or the other drops dead.

Bleach also had 165 filler episodes, over 45% of the series was pretty much tacked on.


Really? I heard that when it comes to Shonen Jump, if your manga is in the bottom rankings for at least 10 weeks, the manga is canned immediately, or something similar to that, I mean Bleach hasn't been doing well in the ratings in the first place, given that rule, I find it hard to believe that they are obligated to stay on when they can purposely make the manga suck for 10 weeks before being kicked out.

I was being hyperbolic.

Also, this might not hold true for someone like Tite Kubo, but killing your series in the polls would be a spectacular way to commit career suicide. If you have enough pull to survive that, you have enough to end your series without dragging it--and your professional reputation--through the mud. The magazine would much prefer you to come up with ways to reinvigorate your existing series though, not bet on your ability to make something new without an existing fanbase.

At least that's what I learned from reading Bakuman.
78 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/7/14 , edited 1/7/14

Vaporisor wrote:


Duhyes wrote:

What does milking anime mean?

Will bleach anime continue soon since the manga is still going on?


Also for AoT, did it finish the female titan arc? and at s2 it will be the 4th arc?

Also how long will the manga still go on? Will they end soon or will continue very long?


By definition, milking is an extraction process. In terms of something like anime and manga, you have your start with the base literature, then it branches to other media. Take AoT.

By base, AoT is a serialized manga
Anime came next, really exploding it's popularity.
Following that has been merchandising.

Typically a series will branch off in two directions here. One is that it will continue in it's story direction until completion. This is where the manga is supposed to be heading. The writer said he has a pretty good synopsis of the full story, and plans to resolve it before it gets too long. The anime follows the manga quite well so I would expect them to finish off similar. Right now there isn't enough manga material completed for the animators to base their second season off of. Emulation of the original artist's style is pretty important for a top tier anime. These first run of figurines for the show look to be of high quality from the previews so I do not consider milking. Collectibles are quite desirable. (I in fact will probably order the set :3)

Milking the series is all the generic spinoff stuff that would happen outside of this. Examples are stuff like video games that get quickly rushed. I don't care how good the 3ds is, I seriously doubt it can come close to capturing what an AoT game has the possibility. Then you have other novelty things (sasha knife and fork extra for 3ds game?). Typically the most milking comes in terms of filler and spinoff. We are seeing alot of AoT spinoff coming out already. Essentially the milking occurs once the main body of the story is gone, and now it is just the carcass reprocessed into a storylike substance.


is SAO a popular anime in japan and here? Does SAO have more popularity then AoT? Or does AoT is more popular?

Are they milking SAO making collectibles and stuff like AoT?

How much more popular is either one of them?

GerryO 
19624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Tyler, Texas
Offline
Posted 1/7/14

Duhyes wrote:


Vaporisor wrote:


Duhyes wrote:

What does milking anime mean?

Will bleach anime continue soon since the manga is still going on?


Also for AoT, did it finish the female titan arc? and at s2 it will be the 4th arc?

Also how long will the manga still go on? Will they end soon or will continue very long?


By definition, milking is an extraction process. In terms of something like anime and manga, you have your start with the base literature, then it branches to other media. Take AoT.

By base, AoT is a serialized manga
Anime came next, really exploding it's popularity.
Following that has been merchandising.

Typically a series will branch off in two directions here. One is that it will continue in it's story direction until completion. This is where the manga is supposed to be heading. The writer said he has a pretty good synopsis of the full story, and plans to resolve it before it gets too long. The anime follows the manga quite well so I would expect them to finish off similar. Right now there isn't enough manga material completed for the animators to base their second season off of. Emulation of the original artist's style is pretty important for a top tier anime. These first run of figurines for the show look to be of high quality from the previews so I do not consider milking. Collectibles are quite desirable. (I in fact will probably order the set :3)

Milking the series is all the generic spinoff stuff that would happen outside of this. Examples are stuff like video games that get quickly rushed. I don't care how good the 3ds is, I seriously doubt it can come close to capturing what an AoT game has the possibility. Then you have other novelty things (sasha knife and fork extra for 3ds game?). Typically the most milking comes in terms of filler and spinoff. We are seeing alot of AoT spinoff coming out already. Essentially the milking occurs once the main body of the story is gone, and now it is just the carcass reprocessed into a storylike substance.


is SAO a popular anime in japan and here? Does SAO have more popularity then AoT? Or does AoT is more popular?

Are they milking SAO making collectibles and stuff like AoT?

How much more popular is either one of them?



I think that SAO is a little bit more popluar than AoT right now, just because SAO has had more time to build a massive fan base
plus there's all the merchandise and video games SAO has

23631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/7/14 , edited 1/7/14

Duhyes wrote:

is SAO a popular anime in japan and here? Does SAO have more popularity then AoT? Or does AoT is more popular?

Are they milking SAO making collectibles and stuff like AoT?

How much more popular is either one of them?



First question is a toughie since I really am not involved too much in the Japan popularity and all the side merchanizing. In terms of development and rate of growth, I would consider Attack on Titan to be getting more popular. Remember SAO does have a year ahead of AoT, but AOT is talked around here alot more and really exploded.

As for the question of milking, For SAO, it is definitely that way for collectibles, but I will reserve until second season product and show comes out before I make a definitive decision. But before I get into the why, a bit of review on the popularity development of both.

First is SAO, it had a slower growth period starting with light novels and began with a high quality base. From there it developed into manga, and now the anime. A very solid and quality base. Unfortunately, to my view, there has been a continual degredation from the series going from a solid first person storyline into a generic more fanservice series. I did a look on collectibles available for SAO, and half of what is available here are the female characters in full fan service mode and costume not even relevant to the series. The fact that I found more different Sogou figures (which for a VRMMO story, the real world characters are more bit player) than Kirito (slightly more main than his sister) just shows how the series is becoming nothing more than a market cash cow. I will wait for season 2 before I make final judgement on that.

Attack on titan, now I really like the development of this show and it's history, it is quite intruiging. The show started as serialized manga by a newer second tier monthly from Kondansha. The writer wanted to always do it, but knew he had to get a real job. So he worked for years until he had the money to spend some time on making his manga which was picked up. I really respect the guys at kondansha for giving it a chance, plus the people who converted it into an anime. The artist actually gives credit to the anime people for making it so popular. I agree. The art in the first couple manga were okay but nothing spectacular. From what I read, AOT boosted popularity of the magazine so much, that they had to really boost printings.

The big thing I noticed different between AoT so far and SAO is the maintaining of quality. Reading the manga, the artist really has stepped up his game. Looking at Eren in the start of vol 1, and now in vol 10, it would be tough to tell it is even the same person. The anime quality for this first season stck solid. Yeah, there are some oddball wierd toys out there and simple collectibles, but in terms of main marketing, they really look to be aiming for top shelf stuff. This display here from a show, that ain't milking, that is full on retailing. Lots of money spent on those displays, and it has to be good to make that money back.

http://www.dannychoo.com/en/post/26993/Attack+on+Titan+Merchandise.html

In the end, it will come down to their Season 2. If AoT keeps to their direction, They should indoubtedly pass SAO and leave a lasting anime legacy people will talk about ten years from now. SAO, if their quality keeps degrading, nobody will mention it. So in my overly long winded opinion, SAO is beginning to be milked hardcore...

For the TL:DR version, in my research, found this cool AoT FanPic ^.^

Edit.......Which what posted above me while I was writing this and doing other things. Oh well....

534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 1/7/14
We might have gotten something like that if it was America that's making the new SnK movie.
One Punch Mod
85925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 1/7/14

Duhyes wrote:

What is the attack on titan OVA lisle notebook?

Will there be attack on titan s2?


Hi there! Looks like you got your answers. I'm closing this now because individual threads that simply pose a request for information fall into the category of "help" threads and are against CR's site rules. To handle such questions there is a shared Anime Help Thread (stickied near the top of the Anime forum) where such questions may be posted.

In this particular case they would also have been good questions to ask in the existing AoT threads (they might even have been already discussed and answered there). Here are some links to a couple of threads in case you don't know about it and are interested in reading some of the discussion that has happened and may still be ongoing:

forumtopic-798407/attack-on-titan-discussions-spoilers

/forumtopic-821191/attack-on-titan-coming-to-an-end
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.