First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
What do you say we help each other.
26053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/9/14 , edited 1/10/14
I'll make this simple. I love anime. I love people. I know that anime can be looked down on by some as childish or abnormal for adults to enjoy. However, I am an adult with a great job and great employees and I have no problem telling people that I enjoy anime. Do not ask me why, but I love it and it connects with me on a molecular level.

So here's my thought. Many animes have brought me joy and given me things to look forward to even through my hectic work life. It breaks me away from reality and is some what healing or therapeutic to just let go of reality.

That being said, every week I am going to buy someone a 1 month membership so maybe it can have the same effect on their lives as well.

Last week I bought limetega and mow123 a membership and I know they enjoyed it, and were very thankful for the gesture.


Best!

PS- I have a 6 year old son and he already loves the anime he can watch with dubs. He's also very interested in my "cartoons with Chinese words" and can't wait for him to be able to read proficiently!
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 1/9/14
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, because I believe you're serious. (Though, part of me thinks there's an outside chance you're running some sort of scam where we agree to do this, and then you take our credit card info or something.)

But...

Nobody has to buy anyone a membership to come here and get exposed to anime. There's more anime available here for free than there is under a premium membership. If you want to expose people to anime, just send them a link to this place. Or, a link to Anime News Network, or Hulu, or Funimation or The Anime Network, or any of the dozen or so places where they can watch it for free.

I'm not with you. If I'm going to buy someone something they can't afford, it's going to be food, shelter or a warm jacket.
27500 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 1/9/14 , edited 1/9/14
Hell no, I'm not wasting my money on other people. Although I can see your point, and if you're into that stuff, all the more power to you.
26053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/9/14
Supasoggyrolle, I don't want your damn credit card, you can gift people memberships yourself. Also, free members do not have access to everything on CR, nor as soon.

Saksiss, more power to you too. Giving someone a gift is never a waste of money.

I'll just turn this into a thread about giving memberships to others and hope others do the same.

Supasoggyrolle, seeing as you're not a member if you send me your info I will gift you a membership to kick things off. All it asks for is an email address to send it to you.

Best
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 1/9/14 , edited 1/9/14

perryc07 wrote:

Supasoggyrolle, I don't want your damn credit card, you can gift people memberships yourself. Also, free members do not have access to everything on CR, nor as soon.

Saksiss, more power to you too. Giving someone a gift is never a waste of money.

I'll just turn this into a thread about giving memberships to others and hope others do the same.

Supasoggyrolle, seeing as you're not a member if you send me your info I will gift you a membership to kick things off. All it asks for is an email address to send it to you.

Best


I wasn't really serious about the credit card deal...maybe I should've put an emoticon after that?

But, while I genuinely appreciate the thought, I'm fine without a membership. Gift it to someone else on my behalf. I hardly ever watch anime as it comes out, because I hate having to wait a week for the resolution of cliffhangers (It's driving me crazy right now that I have to wait until Tuesday for the next episode of Hunter X Hunter), so having a premium membership would be wasted on me.

But, might I suggest, that if you want to do a good deed for someone, rather than giving one of us a membership, why don't you donate that money to a charity for someone who needs it more? You can use Charitywatch.org to make sure the charity is reputable. I think saving the life of a kid dying from Malaria because they can't afford the $7.00 cure, would be a much more worthwhile venture than helping someone watch Rurouni Kenshin. If you really want to buy me a membership, instead, use the money for them, please.
104111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 1/9/14
you have gift passes you can give away.

Perhaps starting small is the best way to approach anything.
26053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/10/14 , edited 1/10/14
A few things. Just because you are not homeless or dying does not mean you don't need a gift every once in a while. I give to charities I like, but there are working people that could use help sometimes too. When I was in college I paid all of my bills and tuition and never had a penny for anything extra.

I edited the initial post to just say I would do it and if others do then that's great and if not that's fine too. I know some hard working people that scrape by and I see no problem with just helping others have something to enjoy.

Best
26053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/10/14 , edited 1/10/14
Supasoggyrolle,

AcikoPop2 was gifted an account on your behalf!

Best
Posted 1/10/14 , edited 1/10/14
^perryc07 ...please don't mind what Supasoggyrolle says...he likes to patronize people when they do good things for others.

It is your money and you do what you want with it. Anime was a huge part of my life when I was growing up, it made my whole day, and it kept my depression away. I wasn't poor nor did I live in Africa or suffered from any disease but I didn't work and my mom wouldn't give me her CC for something like that =( , so I agree with you that just because you aren't in any of those situations, you don't need to gift them anything.

There are many underage kids in this forum who can't work or don't have the means to pay a membership. I give away all my gift passes...right now I don't have any but as soon as I receive more I will put them on my profile.

As for paying membership for others...I truly never thought of that and I think it's a great and kind idea. I don't see myself doing it any time soon because I have trust issues...people might abuse of your good actions (they may have the money but won't pay for it because they know other people will do it for them etc) I would need to know them personally..I used to pay for my brother's membership but he grew out of it.

Having said that, I admire people like you and wish you all the best. =)
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 1/10/14 , edited 1/10/14
I have a good friend. He's a marine and really silly.

Once, someones car ran out of gas, and came into our work place to see if someone could help him out.

My friend gave him his credit card, and told him to go buy gas with it.

I wouldn't lend a man my pen, but he handed over that credit card like THAT.

That's the type of friend I have. He's an awesome guy.

He is also very damn awkward in social situations, but so am I....I'm awkward in the less liked kind of way.

That said, one day we went to eat at Subway, and he forgot his money. He called a friend over to bring him his wallet. While waiting for that friend to arrive, a nice couple offered to pay for our meal.

Nice things happen, and he is rewarded in kind, that's the type of friend I have.

And now I shared the story.
13052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / England
Offline
Posted 1/11/14
I've found unless the individual already likes anime or at least has an interest in it, you have to get them started by watching it with them/forcing it upon them lol.
I've converted a fair few into anime lovers by doing this..

In my opinion you're probably better off looking in the Guest Pass topic to find people who're desperate for an anime membership or better yet give it to those you know from work or just someone you know in person who might enjoy it themselves and then who knows you might share a new interest or to those who have children etc who would enjoy it. . or not at the end of the day it's your money to spend how you see fit.

However I just don't see many people following your example and forking out £5 for a stranger.
26053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/11/14 , edited 1/11/14
kirika202, as you can see it didn't deter me a bit. I agree with you completely. Hobbies are meant to be enjoyed, and are even better if they're shared.

Felstalker, we need more people like you and your friend in the world. If you just see an act of kindness, that in no way helps you directly, you can be effected by it.

WRoksana, that is currently what I do. I have found several people who discuss anime in comments on shows that put a great deal of effort into discussing them but are not members. They may be able to afford them, they may not. Either way, I have no problems with doing something nice for someone. Also, as I said above, this is now not about asking others to, but maybe hoping others will be kind to our fellow enthusiasts.

Also, there are more benefits to this. Not only does someone get an account, we are also helping CR/Industry by making their products more profitable in many ways. We may make someone who likes anime into someone who loves anime and becomes a true contributor to the cause. Or, in a more bottom line sense, we are giving CR more revenue to continue the great service they provide. Not to down another anime powerhouse, but unlike Funimation, CR took time to make the website and APP functional and pretty problem free. This just goes to show you that they have taken the initiative to make not only good returns but have happy customers. In the end, no one loses here which is why I shall continue.

Thanks for all the comments.

Best
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/11/14

perryc07 wrote:

kirika202, as you can see it didn't deter me a bit. I agree with you completely. Hobbies are meant to be enjoyed, and are even better if they're shared.

Felstalker, we need more people like you and your friend in the world. If you just see an act of kindness, that in no way helps you directly, you can be effected by it.

WRoksana, that is currently what I do. I have found several people who discuss anime in comments on shows that put a great deal of effort into discussing them but are not members. They may be able to afford them, they may not. Either way, I have no problems with doing something nice for someone. Also, as I said above, this is now not about asking others to, but maybe hoping others will be kind to our fellow enthusiasts.

Also, there are more benefits to this. Not only does someone get an account, we are also helping CR/Industry by making their products more profitable in many ways. We may make someone who likes anime into someone who loves anime and becomes a true contributor to the cause. Or, in a more bottom line sense, we are giving CR more revenue to continue the great service they provide. Not to down another anime powerhouse, but unlike Funimation, CR took time to make the website and APP functional and pretty problem free. This just goes to show you that they have taken the initiative to make not only good returns but have happy customers. In the end, no one loses here which is why I shall continue.

Thanks for all the comments.

Best


I often aspire to be that sort of person, I don't often succeed, there are days when my job/life sucks all the goodwill and positive energy right out of me. and all that's left is a bitter hollow shell.

Then I come here and watch a good anime...


I'll give your idea some thought. It sounds like fun.

but it will have to wait until my unpaid (mostly) medical leave of absence is over. right now money is tight.

16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 1/11/14
Thats a very nice gesture, i'm sure you will make some people quite happy. If you have the finances for it and you are willing i don't see why you should not go for it. I wish i could do something similar but right now i only have enough to buy a membership for myself on a regular intervals.

Regarding the membership you should maybe come up with some sort of contest so people will have to work a little for it. Well anyways good luck on whatever you decide.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/11/14

Felstalker wrote:

I have a good friend. He's a marine and really silly.

Once, someones car ran out of gas, and came into our work place to see if someone could help him out.

My friend gave him his credit card, and told him to go buy gas with it.

I wouldn't lend a man my pen, but he handed over that credit card like THAT.

That's the type of friend I have. He's an awesome guy.

He is also very damn awkward in social situations, but so am I....I'm awkward in the less liked kind of way.

That said, one day we went to eat at Subway, and he forgot his money. He called a friend over to bring him his wallet. While waiting for that friend to arrive, a nice couple offered to pay for our meal.

Nice things happen, and he is rewarded in kind, that's the type of friend I have.

And now I shared the story.


It makes me want some Subway...
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.