First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Blu Ray or DVD for Anime?
PCBFan 
32033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
ℒℴѵℯℒᎥѵℯ
Offline
Posted 1/13/14
Both but I have blu-ray mostly!
Posted 1/13/14 , edited 1/13/14

g4enet wrote:

Why not VCR?

DVD is best. My desktop doesn't have the Bluray player.


Oh gosh VCR those were the days.

On topic: Also, if someone had both a Bluray player and a DVD player, what would be the reasons NOT to go Bluray?
18917 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/13/14
I am going to keep trying to make blu-ray work with my mac. But so far, it has been nothing but problems. I managed to rip one blu-ray successfully. All other attempts to play or rip a blu-ray resulted in the computer shutting down. I prefer DVD's. If I can figure out how to make blu-rays work with a mac, I would definitely prefer the quality that blu-ray has to offer, at the cost of the increased file size.
55915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Online
Posted 1/13/14

mrbraddock12 wrote:

Honestly, if the series was made before HD was standard, it doesn't really matter if you have DVD or blu ray. They'll be more clear on blu ray, but just by a tiny bit. If it's an anime that's mastered for HD, then, definitely, get the blu ray, if possible.


I follow the same philosophy when deciding on the format to buy. If I know the series was made in standard definition and the Blu-ray version, if available, uses that same SD master, with no remastering done to the video, then DVD is perfectly fine. If the series was produced in native high definition, 720p or higher, or remastered to be HD, then I'll always go for the higher quality Blu-ray version; even with the obscenely priced Aniplex of America Blu-ray releases. I've got very good eyesight and can notice the smallest of video noise or imperfections, so it bothers me not to have a Blu-ray when it makes sense to have one over DVD; need me that quality video.
15180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Alhambra, CA
Offline
Posted 1/13/14
Whichever has the collectors edition, limited edition, or promo goodies.
g4enet 
27190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / LA ,CA, USA
Offline
Posted 1/13/14

awesomeesper wrote:


g4enet wrote:

Why not VCR?

DVD is best. My desktop doesn't have the Bluray player.


Oh gosh VCR those were the days.

On topic: Also, if someone had both a Bluray player and a DVD player, what would be the reasons NOT to go Bluray?


I know right? I have the old Pokemon on VHS.

Sometimes BluRay is damn expensive.
Posted 1/13/14


Haha that's awesome, I do too! I have the Pokemon VHS episode where Ash first runs into a mankey. I remember it especially because I got it for Christmas and I was crazy about Pokemon anime (and games) then. I have a buttload of Dragon Ball Z VHS's though. I remember seeing a Dragon Ball Z collection consisting of the entire Frieza saga and the videos all put in a line formed pictures of Frieza's different forms or something. Whatever it was, I wanted it so bad. But as a kid with no money my little mind could only dream.
g4enet 
27190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / LA ,CA, USA
Offline
Posted 1/13/14

awesomeesper wrote:



Haha that's awesome, I do too! I have the Pokemon VHS episode where Ash first runs into a mankey. I remember it especially because I got it for Christmas and I was crazy about Pokemon anime (and games) then. I have a buttload of Dragon Ball Z VHS's though. I remember seeing a Dragon Ball Z collection consisting of the entire Frieza saga and the videos all put in a line formed pictures of Frieza's different forms or something. Whatever it was, I wanted it so bad. But as a kid with no money my little mind could only dream.


I have the game Pokemon Blue on my Gameboy Color. I have some of the DBZ episodes on VHS too.
884 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F
Offline
Posted 1/14/14
VHS.
22329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/14/14

sonic720 wrote:


mrbraddock12 wrote:

Honestly, if the series was made before HD was standard, it doesn't really matter if you have DVD or blu ray. They'll be more clear on blu ray, but just by a tiny bit. If it's an anime that's mastered for HD, then, definitely, get the blu ray, if possible.


I follow the same philosophy when deciding on the format to buy. If I know the series was made in standard definition and the Blu-ray version, if available, uses that same SD master, with no remastering done to the video, then DVD is perfectly fine. If the series was produced in native high definition, 720p or higher, or remastered to be HD, then I'll always go for the higher quality Blu-ray version; even with the obscenely priced Aniplex of America Blu-ray releases. I've got very good eyesight and can notice the smallest of video noise or imperfections, so it bothers me not to have a Blu-ray when it makes sense to have one over DVD; need me that quality video.


I agree with this. Although sometimes due to the pricing I'll have to opt for the cheaper option as I'm extremely tight for money and every cent that I save counts a lot.
59992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14


well I can agree somewhat, about the hd remastering and whatnot.

I don't really see any difference in quality between blu ray and dvd's(and I have 20/20 vision, I mean there might be a slight variance in quality but it almost seems unnoticeable), I'll get blu rays if they aren't to much more spend then the dvd's. It doesn't really matter to me since I can I can play both dvd's and blu ray on my ps3, and dvd's in my computer.
Usually I go for price so I end up getting dvd's but on occasion i'll get blu ray to treat myself or if the price is only like a 5 dollar difference from dvd
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/14/14
Online for anime
11053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/14/14
Blu-Ray is the way to go, but most Blu-Ray players upscale DVDs as does the PS3 so there's that option. If you want full 1080p though than
definitely Blu-Ray.
GerryO 
19624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Tyler, Texas
Offline
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14

awesomeesper wrote:


g4enet wrote:

Why not VCR?

DVD is best. My desktop doesn't have the Bluray player.


Oh gosh VCR those were the days.

On topic: Also, if someone had both a Bluray player and a DVD player, what would be the reasons NOT to go Bluray?


Mostly buy dvds for when I'm on the go since my laptop doesn't have a blu-ray player and hotels usually only have dvd players.
But thats why I buy combo packs so i can watch blu-rays on my ps3 at home
21705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The Dark Continent
Offline
Posted 1/14/14
BD when available (FMA Brotherhood, Fairy Tail...), otherwise DVD (Dragon Ball...)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.