First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Straight men who love shoujo
203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / 'murica
Offline
Posted 1/14/14
I only watch some shoujo and they usually have lots of comedy and less of the love drama. Some examples are Special A, kaichou Maid-Sama, Ouran High school host club, and fruits basket.
14436 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / アビス
Offline
Posted 1/14/14
Favorite is kimi ni todoke.
19037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/14/14
i freaking love it kimi no todoke, clannad and after story ( not sure if shoujo) and i also love Say I love you and guess what i like girls, love sport freaking NBA boyy and i still love this types of anime

it's what you like so keep watching and just keep on ignoring everyone else
62497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14
I like a lot of shoujo titles. I have been reading a lot of shoujo manga recently as well. (BTW, Chihayafuru is josei...)

I embraced my inner teenage girl quite a while ago.

Not in a creepy way... OK, not very creepy...
2450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / The heart of Linc...
Offline
Posted 1/14/14

infamybrian wrote:

I for one love a great shoujo. I love how most tend to be alot more heavy in story(not saying shonen doesn't). Its sucks that they say its targeted to young women. I'm not a homosexual( not that theres anything wrong with that) but a friend of mine asked me if i was gay just because of the animes i watch .

A brief list of some of my favorite Shoujo
********************************
Kimi ni Todoke
Glass Mask
Chihayafuru
White Album S1

So i'd like to here your opinions on shoujo do you think it really is targeted towards women exclusively?


Too often people think i'm leaning towards homo since I like romance/comedies. Yet I am not homo, and there is nothing wrong with homo, I fail to see why people jump to that conclusion or what's wrong with the gender you are attracted to?

I enjoy shows for the plot, characters, action & premise/story/myth. What difference does it make if I enjoy romance because I'm male? It's down to stereotypes and what people expect. Personally I'm happy to enjoy all types of shows regardless of what gender i represent, to me if the story has my attention and i'm not the intended audience that is one hell of a show they have.

Ultimately if you let others define what you see without you choosing, you are not enjoying or living. If they hold you back, they are afraid of what they do not understand or want to see something completely new.

It's down to you if you want to enjoy something and it doesn't make you less a person at all.
4201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/14/14
I wouldn't say I enjoy shoujo but I watch shoujo shows from time to time when I feel like it...
Sogno- 
45766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/14/14

uncletim wrote:


lianghong1 wrote:

No idea what do you mean by straight men.

I like everything.

those are the ones with out curves






Zeta-Nu wrote:



yes they do, making every slight encounter between any men and it's "omgsh they wanna do each other" (I'm looking at you, SnK & Gintama fangirls)
4451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14

infamybrian wrote:

I for one love a great shoujo. I love how most tend to be alot more heavy in story(not saying shonen doesn't). Its sucks that they say its targeted to young women. I'm not a homosexual( not that theres anything wrong with that) but a friend of mine asked me if i was gay just because of the animes i watch .

A brief list of some of my favorite Shoujo
********************************
Kimi ni Todoke
Glass Mask
Chihayafuru
White Album S1 (not shoujo)

So i'd like to here your opinions on shoujo do you think it really is targeted towards women exclusively?

Okay first off, your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.
Secondly.. there's plenty of male shoujo writers, it just means it's targeted towards the female audience.
A good amount of shoujo doesn't exactly come off as a chick flick either the comedy and romance can easily be universally understood and enjoyable by both sexes. Chihayafuru and Glass Mask are actually pretty good examples of a shoujo not fitting there stereotype.

Now what will get guy's to turn there head is shounen-ai and reverse harems and think seriously rather then jokingly as your friend actually implied i'm sure. For example, the scenario might go a little something like this.


But this is also a misconception, no one is actually gay for enjoying a change in script and gender role in-fact it can be interesting when it's pulled off realistically or in an entertaining manner. I haven't seen much myself but i actually quite enjoyed Uragiri wa Boku No Namae o Shitteiru and Gravitation for example.

tl;dr
The very idea of someone being considered sexually confused because they watch shoujo is laughable and shouldn't be considered seriously or thought about.
Also the title for this needs changed to, "I'm a guy and i like shoujo, anything wrong with that?"
15549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Manhattan, New York
Offline
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14
Not at all! Shoujo are definitely my favorite type of manga. Im just a big softie.
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14
I only like Rose of Versailles. Not read or watched much Shoujo.

EDIT: and Ouran High School Host Club and Aim for the Ace (Ace wo Nerae)!
61277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Minnesota
Online
Posted 1/14/14
I really don't care if something is shoujo. A couple of my favorites are shoujo: Ouran Host Club and Kaiuchou wa Maid-sama are both great! My friend heard the title of the second one and started laughing, but I just told him "Yeah! It's hilarious and has a fun story!" Nothing wrong with liking shoujo, no matter who you are.
6403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14
I read whatever seems interesting regardless of what genre it is, cause really its the story I'm paying attention to not the tag someone has labeled it with or who the possible intended audience was for it. Though the "Mr. Fantasy" guy trumping the "Nice, supportive, and shy" guy does annoy me, but several shoujo have avoided this (Kaichou Wa-Maid and Shinigahime no Saikon). (for sake of clarification: Mr. Fantasy: handsome, wealthy, forceful, manipulative, confident/arrogant, or some other shallow trait vs 'nice, supportive, and shy': is there emotionally for the female, supports her in what she chooses to do, usually hides his feelings, and usually knows the female longer and/or better than the 'Mr. Fantasy'.) But as a genre itself I don't gender-label it or any other, rarely is generalizing a good thing to do.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14

Felstalker wrote:

Shoujo and Seinen have heavy tonal overlaps. Both often have to do with romance....and little girls.

The major difference between the two, Shoujo often romanticizes it's characters and events.

Seinen however, the relationships happen, and it's rather realistic.


So I went through a long list of seinen anime and decided, no, the relationships in them are not realistic in any way and are in fact far more idealized (to one extreme or another.) If anything the "relationships happening" are unrealisticly disproportionate in all of the ones I recognize.

Perhaps the relationships in them just appeal to you more, as you say?
18436 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Dallas, Texas
Online
Posted 1/14/14 , edited 1/14/14
I love shoujo cx
89206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / in your head
Offline
Posted 1/14/14
a straight man who loves shoujo? that's me ^^
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.