First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Inside Mari (Boku wa Mari no Naka)
1055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/19/14 , edited 1/19/14
SPOILERS FOR FIRST 8 CHAPTERS



Choo Choo!
Anyone want to jump on the hate train with me?
(the number of asteriks are completly random btw)

EDIT: Had to add "disgusting".
46675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 1/19/14

DRHILL wrote:



I'm quite enjoying the series and will keep on following it.



1055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/20/14

Zensunni wrote:






46675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 1/20/14
It's hard to say, eh! It is a fun series.
9460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/20/14
The more we find out about Mari the better it gets.
185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100
Offline
Posted 1/20/14
My personal theory on Mari to date:
DRHILL 
6299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 1/21/14
15575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/21/14

Jslymd wrote:

:excl: SPOILERS FOR FIRST 8 CHAPTERS



Choo Choo!
Anyone want to jump on the hate train with me?
(the number of asteriks are completly random btw)

EDIT: Had to add "disgusting".


The mangaka of Inside Mari is the same guy who wrote Aku no Hana. It's supposed to be unnerving and creepy throughout. All the characters are supposed to be monsters on the inside.
1055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/21/14

RoyalMoon wrote:


Jslymd wrote:

:excl: SPOILERS FOR FIRST 8 CHAPTERS



Choo Choo!
Anyone want to jump on the hate train with me?
(the number of asteriks are completly random btw)

EDIT: Had to add "disgusting".


The mangaka of Inside Mari is the same guy who wrote Aku no Hana. It's supposed to be unnerving and creepy throughout. All the characters are supposed to be monsters on the inside.


I don't see the appeal of every character being shitty though.
Shitty MC is actually the same reason why i stopped watching Aku no Hana.
One Punch Mod
44507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 1/21/14

Sweet-Revelation wrote:

The more we find out about Mari the better it gets.


I agree. I was finding this readable and mildly interesting from the start, but didn't expect to really get caught up in it. Then as we starting learning weird little tidbits about Mari...and I'm looking forward to every new chapter.
15575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/22/14 , edited 1/22/14

Jslymd wrote:


RoyalMoon wrote:


Jslymd wrote:

:excl: SPOILERS FOR FIRST 8 CHAPTERS



Choo Choo!
Anyone want to jump on the hate train with me?
(the number of asteriks are completly random btw)

EDIT: Had to add "disgusting".


The mangaka of Inside Mari is the same guy who wrote Aku no Hana. It's supposed to be unnerving and creepy throughout. All the characters are supposed to be monsters on the inside.


I don't see the appeal of every character being shitty though.
Shitty MC is actually the same reason why i stopped watching Aku no Hana.


Oh well. If Aku no Hana wasn't your cup of tea then that's fine. I think people just enjoy this type of storytelling. Sort of in the same way people watched and love Breaking Bad.
8049 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 1/22/14 , edited 1/22/14

Maea2016 wrote:

My personal theory on Mari to date:


Speculation:
1055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/22/14 , edited 1/22/14

RoyalMoon wrote:
Oh well. If Aku no Hana wasn't your cup of tea then that's fine. I think people just enjoy this type of storytelling. Sort of in the same way people watched and love Breaking Bad.

What i don't like about both Aku no Hana and Inside Mari, which seperates them from Breaking Bad, is that the plot moves forward because of very questionable actions by the MCs. In Breaking Bad he needs alot of money and fast (after what i've heard..), he has the means to make meth which fullfill bot criterias the MC has. It's a bad step, but a logical one.

In Aku no Hana the story starts rolling because the MC sniffs the gym clothes of someone he likes. A very questionable thing to do. He could've done nothing, or maybe used it as an excuse to visit her if he knew where she lived. It's kinda unclear what sets the story rolling in Inside Mari ("the switch" seems to start when he stalks Mari though..), but just the creepy way the MC acts makes him very unlikeable. Can you mention anything that makes the MC in Inside Mari likeable or gives him sympathy in the first 8 chapters of the series? Well he didn't manage to get any friends , but that was because he expected everyone else to do something. He didn't want to look at Maris naked body , but that was because he had made a glorifaction of her because of his stalking.

Unlikeable MCs makes unlikely decisions to unravel the further plot.
And unlikely things can't drive the plot as in Nichijou, because the series are meant to be serious. And the very questionable decisions the MCs make kinda ruins it for me.
15575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/22/14

Jslymd wrote:

What i don't like about both Aku no Hana and Inside Mari, which seperates them from Breaking Bad, is that the plot moves forward because of very questionable actions by the MCs. In Breaking Bad he needs alot of money and fast (after what i've heard..), he has the means to make meth which fullfill bot criterias the MC has. It's a bad step, but a logical one.

In Aku no Hana the story starts rolling because the MC sniffs the gym clothes of someone he likes. A very questionable thing to do. He could've done nothing, or maybe used it as an excuse to visit her if he knew where she lived. It's kinda unclear what sets the story rolling in Inside Mari ("the switch" seems to start when he stalks Mari though..), but just the creepy way the MC acts makes him very unlikeable. Can you mention anything that makes the MC in Inside Mari likeable or gives him sympathy in the first 8 chapters of the series? Well he didn't manage to get any friends , but that was because he expected everyone else to do something. He didn't want to look at Maris naked body , but that was because he had made a glorifaction of her because of his stalking.

Unlikeable MCs makes unlikely decisions to unravel the further plot.
And unlikely things can't drive the plot as in Nichijou, because the series are meant to be serious. And the very questionable decisions the MCs make kinda ruins it for me.


With Breaking Bad, Walt kind of became the unlikable main character towards the end. He began make the exact same actions the MC of Aku no Hana did where they really don't make sense.

But the point I was really trying to make was that people watched Breaking Bad and Aku no Hana because it made them feel uncomfortable. It's a weird psychological release, in the sense of relief, that people experience whenever they see a really horrible experience. Like the same type of feeling you get when a character you like in a story becomes trapped in a hopeless situation that puts you into a bit of a panic, and then once they're free, that feeling of relief that overcomes you is almost like a high.

If that makes sense.
1055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/22/14 , edited 1/22/14

RoyalMoon wrote:

With Breaking Bad, Walt kind of became the unlikable main character towards the end. He began make the exact same actions the MC of Aku no Hana did where they really don't make sense.

But the point I was really trying to make was that people watched Breaking Bad and Aku no Hana because it made them feel uncomfortable. It's a weird psychological release, in the sense of relief, that people experience whenever they see a really horrible experience. Like the same type of feeling you get when a character you like in a story becomes trapped in a hopeless situation that puts you into a bit of a panic, and then once they're free, that feeling of relief that overcomes you is almost like a high.

If that makes sense.

Why do people want to feel uncomfortable?
Nah, man i get what you are saying (i just really wanted to use that emoticon).

Watching likeable character getting stuck in hopeless situations is really hard for me, i need to pause and take breaks (often several).
So i guess it will make sense that the series wouldn't appeal to me. I also often read the comments under the video to see if it will end good or bad so that i can prepare.

I guess my closest thing to these series would be Steins;Gate ("constant", or just a long, bad feeling until conclusion). But in Steins;Gate i loved the characters.
Does this mean that other people feels the same way as me (when i watch S;G for example) even though they don't like the characters? Or do they like the characters that i find obnoxious (mostly regarding Aku no Hana and Inside Mari as i'm more familiar with those)?

I just realized how off topic we are
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.