Post Reply Embed CR Videos?
2016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/14
I was thinking of making a website for myself and maybe a few friends where I embed all of my favorite anime. I know there's https://www.crunchyroll.com/affiliates but I have no interest in making money off of it. I simply want to embed the videos. Is this possible/legal?

Thanks
Posted 1/15/14
moved
2016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/14
Bump?
2016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/14
Anyone?
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 1/18/14 , edited 1/18/14

xMarok wrote:

I was thinking of making a website for myself and maybe a few friends where I embed all of my favorite anime. I know there's https://www.crunchyroll.com/affiliates but I have no interest in making money off of it. I simply want to embed the videos. Is this possible/legal?

Thanks :)


I'm not a Crunchyroll rep, but I have worked in the film & TV industry for decades.

Technically, it wouldn't be that difficult to setup a site such as what you're proposing, but there is no way it's legal... at least, not in the way you've framed it.

There are already a few sites that let you build anime video "homepages" ... kind of a Pinterest for anime videos and there are sites that let your rebroadcast what you're streaming, but nobody there has streaming redistribution rights.

I can't imagine that CR, the anime companies, and/or copyright holders would let us setup public pages, even for a few friends, of our favorite anime without some kind of rebroadcast fee. Anime companies are pretty squeamish about streaming in general as it is.

Bottom-line: reasonably easy to setup, but probably not legal or, at the very least, cost prohibitive.

My .02 cents. Good luck.

Cheers.
=^.^=
2016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/14
Alright, thank you.
The Wise Wizard
99889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 1/19/14

Hairbelly wrote:

I'm not a Crunchyroll rep, but I have worked in the film & TV industry for decades.

Technically, it wouldn't be that difficult to setup a site such as what you're proposing, but there is no way it's legal... at least, not in the way you've framed it.

There are already a few sites that let you build anime video "homepages" ... kind of a Pinterest for anime videos and there are sites that let your rebroadcast what you're streaming, but nobody there has streaming redistribution rights.

I can't imagine that CR, the anime companies, and/or copyright holders would let us setup public pages, even for a few friends, of our favorite anime without some kind of rebroadcast fee. Anime companies are pretty squeamish about streaming in general as it is.

Bottom-line: reasonably easy to setup, but probably not legal or, at the very least, cost prohibitive.

You might want to tell that to Hulu:

Hulu offers the freedom to share full-length episodes or clips via e-mail or embeds on other websites, blogs and social networking pages.

Hulu's clipping feature allows users to select a portion of the video they would like to share.

Crunchyroll does support embeds. Here is an example:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/video/20497/

It is no more cost prohibitive than the same video on CR's own site, as the video is still served by CR. It still has ads if you are viewing for free, and recognizes you are a premium member if the login cookie is present.


xMarok wrote:




Alright, thank you. :)

Hairbelly may have misunderstood what you were asking to do. CR used to offer embed codes for users, but I don't know if they do this anymore. They certainly still support the function, as evidenced in my example above.

Although it is almost 4 years old, you should view this short thread:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-613332/pwi-embedding-crunchy-rolls-videos

It appears you do need to be signed up as an affiliate before you can access the embed function. I expect this is so that CR can have a degree of control over what type sites their videos appear on.
2016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/19/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


Hairbelly wrote:

I'm not a Crunchyroll rep, but I have worked in the film & TV industry for decades.

Technically, it wouldn't be that difficult to setup a site such as what you're proposing, but there is no way it's legal... at least, not in the way you've framed it.

There are already a few sites that let you build anime video "homepages" ... kind of a Pinterest for anime videos and there are sites that let your rebroadcast what you're streaming, but nobody there has streaming redistribution rights.

I can't imagine that CR, the anime companies, and/or copyright holders would let us setup public pages, even for a few friends, of our favorite anime without some kind of rebroadcast fee. Anime companies are pretty squeamish about streaming in general as it is.

Bottom-line: reasonably easy to setup, but probably not legal or, at the very least, cost prohibitive.

You might want to tell that to Hulu:

Hulu offers the freedom to share full-length episodes or clips via e-mail or embeds on other websites, blogs and social networking pages.

Hulu's clipping feature allows users to select a portion of the video they would like to share.

Crunchyroll does support embeds. Here is an example:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/video/20497/

It is no more cost prohibitive than the same video on CR's own site, as the video is still served by CR. It still has ads if you are viewing for free, and recognizes you are a premium member if the login cookie is present.


xMarok wrote:




Alright, thank you. :)

Hairbelly may have misunderstood what you were asking to do. CR used to offer embed codes for users, but I don't know if they do this anymore. They certainly still support the function, as evidenced in my example above.

Although it is almost 4 years old, you should view this short thread:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-613332/pwi-embedding-crunchy-rolls-videos

It appears you do need to be signed up as an affiliate before you can access the embed function. I expect this is so that CR can have a degree of control over what type sites their videos appear on.


Oh cool, so it is possible. Now I just have to figure out if you can get embed codes.
You must be logged in to post.