First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Legalizing Ferrets in NYC
54045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
86
Offline
Posted 1/17/14


Did you guys know ferrets are not legal in NYC? With a new mayor in town, and changes to city council there is now renewed effort to make ferrets legal in NYC. If anyone wants to learn more please check this petition out:

https://www.change.org/petitions/new-york-city-department-of-health-and-mental-hygiene-legalizing-ferrets-in-new-york-city

It doesn't have that many signatures yet, but with the power of the internet we can make this happen!
On a side note, can any of you imagine doing cosplay with a ferret? I have secretly wanted a ferret sized Akatsuki cloak for my ferret
GerryO 
19624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Tyler, Texas
Offline
Posted 1/17/14
Really I didn't know they weren't legal in ny, it's a shame Ferrets are really cool pets
I used to have one and she was really cute, I only had her for 2 months before I had to give her to my cousin since my allergies got really bad since we had her inside.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/17/14 , edited 1/17/14
Um no

GerryO wrote:

Really I didn't know they weren't legal in ny, it's a shame Ferrets are really cool pets
I used to have one and she was really cute, I only had her for 2 months before I had to give her to my cousin since my allergies got really bad since we had her inside.
The same reason why hedgehogs are illegal there. If they were to somehow escape, they would have no way of surviving on their own like a dog or cat might. They do not belong in the city. It's typically illegal to have those kind of less domestic animals in those urban areas

*Also, that's a red panda, not a ferret
14265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/17/14
I agree, let's legalize red pandas instead.
Posted 1/17/14
I had no idea.

I did hear somewhere that they were illegal in Japan however...Is this true?
27486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 1/17/14 , edited 1/18/14
Aww, we had a ferret once, little shit kept me up all night with it's squawking. Thank God it "ran away".
7279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / NYC
Offline
Posted 1/17/14
I dont know if thats true or not, I live in new york city and ive seen them for sale at alot of petcos and petlands over here.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to sell them if they weren't legal.
3544 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Des moines IA
Offline
Posted 1/18/14

Inoushi wrote:



Did you guys know ferrets are not legal in NYC? With a new mayor in town, and changes to city council there is now renewed effort to make ferrets legal in NYC. If anyone wants to learn more please check this petition out:

https://www.change.org/petitions/new-york-city-department-of-health-and-mental-hygiene-legalizing-ferrets-in-new-york-city

It doesn't have that many signatures yet, but with the power of the internet we can make this happen!
On a side note, can any of you imagine doing cosplay with a ferret? I have secretly wanted a ferret sized Akatsuki cloak for my ferret





sugar gliders are the pet to HAVE! XD
3544 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Des moines IA
Offline
Posted 1/18/14


They are illegal in some states
54045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
86
Offline
Posted 1/18/14 , edited 1/18/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Um no

GerryO wrote:

Really I didn't know they weren't legal in ny, it's a shame Ferrets are really cool pets
I used to have one and she was really cute, I only had her for 2 months before I had to give her to my cousin since my allergies got really bad since we had her inside.
The same reason why hedgehogs are illegal there. If they were to somehow escape, they would have no way of surviving on their own like a dog or cat might. They do not belong in the city. It's typically illegal to have those kind of less domestic animals in those urban areas

*Also, that's a red panda, not a ferret

lol Papu is a mix up between a red panda and a ferret. Red pandas are much bigger than him, and they have a different shape. As far as the idea they are more likely to die in the city, that is completely false. Pet ferrets need to eat every 4 hours, and tend to imprint on their food, so if they are kibble fed they won't even attempt to eat a mouse for example People dump them all of the time in places thinking they can survive on their own and they die. New York city is the only city in all of New York State that has them as illegal. Oh and they are note less domesticated, ferrets predate the cat, and possibly the dog in terms of domestication. You can see them documented all the way back to Ancient Greece. They are trainable just like cat and dogs. Did you know that for the Sydney Olympic Games they used ferrets to do all of the wiring in the stadium My ferret knows many tricks such as come, stand, jump, and run up my leg. He does them on command as well. He also doesn't run off. They are even litter trainable. Papu is actually closer to how ferrets behave then most people think. I can assure you they have a ton of emotions, they giggle when happy even Just look up ferret Dooking.



icandybunny wrote:

I dont know if thats true or not, I live in new york city and ive seen them for sale at alot of petcos and petlands over here.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to sell them if they weren't legal.


It depends on where you live. They are illegal within city limits, but they are legal on say long island, or Nassau county because NYC is the only place ferrets are illegal in all of New York State. It creates confusion for people, especially in queens because you can literally walk out of city limits. If you go into any pet-store, especially petco, and petland, you will see they don't have ferrets at all within city limits. They do however sell the food, toys, cages, and other things ferrets need, because they know people keep them in the city even though they are illegal.
18902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/18/14 , edited 1/18/14
Legalize ferrets now! If not, only criminals will have ferrets, funding a criminal black-market in ferret related goods and ferret paraphernalia. Legalize and then tax them, when the ferrets go into tax debt they have to be turn turned in. Look Mayor, ferret related crime goes down (win), black-market closed(win), and more tax revenue(win).

I hear that the pet stores in the city limits are staked-out by the NYPD to look for leads to those hardened criminal ferret owners
90 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/14
Sugargliders are the worst...they scratch you and they stink really badly
34284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/14 , edited 1/18/14
Ferrets are bad, mmkay? Haven't any of you seen The Big Lebowski?
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 1/18/14

ahatestory wrote:

Ferrets are bad, mmkay? Haven't any of you seen The Big Lebowski?


Hey Man.... that is just like... your opinion... man.
9205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / GA
Offline
Posted 1/18/14
Get back to me when hedgehogs are legal in GA.

And I don't know about ferrets in NYC, but a lot of these laws (hedgehogs in GA for example) are put in place because that animal type has potential to breed out of control and wreak havoc with the natural environment ...allegedly.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.