First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Legalizing Ferrets in NYC
7279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / NYC
Offline
Posted 1/18/14

Inoushi wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Um no

GerryO wrote:

Really I didn't know they weren't legal in ny, it's a shame Ferrets are really cool pets
I used to have one and she was really cute, I only had her for 2 months before I had to give her to my cousin since my allergies got really bad since we had her inside.
The same reason why hedgehogs are illegal there. If they were to somehow escape, they would have no way of surviving on their own like a dog or cat might. They do not belong in the city. It's typically illegal to have those kind of less domestic animals in those urban areas

*Also, that's a red panda, not a ferret

lol Papu is a mix up between a red panda and a ferret. Red pandas are much bigger than him, and they have a different shape. As far as the idea they are more likely to die in the city, that is completely false. Pet ferrets need to eat every 4 hours, and tend to imprint on their food, so if they are kibble fed they won't even attempt to eat a mouse for example People dump them all of the time in places thinking they can survive on their own and they die. New York city is the only city in all of New York State that has them as illegal. Oh and they are note less domesticated, ferrets predate the cat, and possibly the dog in terms of domestication. You can see them documented all the way back to Ancient Greece. They are trainable just like cat and dogs. Did you know that for the Sydney Olympic Games they used ferrets to do all of the wiring in the stadium My ferret knows many tricks such as come, stand, jump, and run up my leg. He does them on command as well. He also doesn't run off. They are even litter trainable. Papu is actually closer to how ferrets behave then most people think. I can assure you they have a ton of emotions, they giggle when happy even Just look up ferret Dooking.



icandybunny wrote:

I dont know if thats true or not, I live in new york city and ive seen them for sale at alot of petcos and petlands over here.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to sell them if they weren't legal.


It depends on where you live. They are illegal within city limits, but they are legal on say long island, or Nassau county because NYC is the only place ferrets are illegal in all of New York State. It creates confusion for people, especially in queens because you can literally walk out of city limits. If you go into any pet-store, especially petco, and petland, you will see they don't have ferrets at all within city limits. They do however sell the food, toys, cages, and other things ferrets need, because they know people keep them in the city even though they are illegal.


I live in the bronx and ive seen there for sale here as well as in manhatthan... i really don't know where you are getting your information from ... are you even from new york city?

because ive seen them at almost all petstores i have gone into in the city.
Posted 1/18/14
I want a fox, and a crow, but I wouldn't petition to make it legal to raise, breed and restrict them to be my personal pet toy that match my furniture. I think it's important to separate liking animals to the point where you want to capture one, and respecting animals. But do as you wish.
54045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
86
Offline
Posted 1/18/14

icandybunny wrote:


Inoushi wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Um no

GerryO wrote:

Really I didn't know they weren't legal in ny, it's a shame Ferrets are really cool pets
I used to have one and she was really cute, I only had her for 2 months before I had to give her to my cousin since my allergies got really bad since we had her inside.
The same reason why hedgehogs are illegal there. If they were to somehow escape, they would have no way of surviving on their own like a dog or cat might. They do not belong in the city. It's typically illegal to have those kind of less domestic animals in those urban areas

*Also, that's a red panda, not a ferret

lol Papu is a mix up between a red panda and a ferret. Red pandas are much bigger than him, and they have a different shape. As far as the idea they are more likely to die in the city, that is completely false. Pet ferrets need to eat every 4 hours, and tend to imprint on their food, so if they are kibble fed they won't even attempt to eat a mouse for example People dump them all of the time in places thinking they can survive on their own and they die. New York city is the only city in all of New York State that has them as illegal. Oh and they are note less domesticated, ferrets predate the cat, and possibly the dog in terms of domestication. You can see them documented all the way back to Ancient Greece. They are trainable just like cat and dogs. Did you know that for the Sydney Olympic Games they used ferrets to do all of the wiring in the stadium My ferret knows many tricks such as come, stand, jump, and run up my leg. He does them on command as well. He also doesn't run off. They are even litter trainable. Papu is actually closer to how ferrets behave then most people think. I can assure you they have a ton of emotions, they giggle when happy even Just look up ferret Dooking.



icandybunny wrote:

I dont know if thats true or not, I live in new york city and ive seen them for sale at alot of petcos and petlands over here.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to sell them if they weren't legal.


It depends on where you live. They are illegal within city limits, but they are legal on say long island, or Nassau county because NYC is the only place ferrets are illegal in all of New York State. It creates confusion for people, especially in queens because you can literally walk out of city limits. If you go into any pet-store, especially petco, and petland, you will see they don't have ferrets at all within city limits. They do however sell the food, toys, cages, and other things ferrets need, because they know people keep them in the city even though they are illegal.


I live in the bronx and ive seen there for sale here as well as in manhatthan... i really don't know where you are getting your information from ... are you even from new york city?

because ive seen them at almost all petstores i have gone into in the city.


I have lived in NYC my whole life and I have never seen a ferret for sale in petco or petland. Are you sure your not confusing them for chinchillas? You can google it if you want and you will see they are illegal. This is what ferrets look like in case your getting them mixed up with another critter.


And if your talking about advertisements that is because petco publishes for the tristate area, not just NYC.

1240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/18/14
How are ferrets not legal in NY?! I thought they had a bunch of ferrets just running around everywhere in NY they grow to like 2 feet sometimes and are all over the sewers. One also taught a few turtles how to be ninja's I believe.
7279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / NYC
Offline
Posted 1/18/14

Inoushi wrote:


icandybunny wrote:


Inoushi wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Um no

GerryO wrote:

Really I didn't know they weren't legal in ny, it's a shame Ferrets are really cool pets
I used to have one and she was really cute, I only had her for 2 months before I had to give her to my cousin since my allergies got really bad since we had her inside.
The same reason why hedgehogs are illegal there. If they were to somehow escape, they would have no way of surviving on their own like a dog or cat might. They do not belong in the city. It's typically illegal to have those kind of less domestic animals in those urban areas

*Also, that's a red panda, not a ferret

lol Papu is a mix up between a red panda and a ferret. Red pandas are much bigger than him, and they have a different shape. As far as the idea they are more likely to die in the city, that is completely false. Pet ferrets need to eat every 4 hours, and tend to imprint on their food, so if they are kibble fed they won't even attempt to eat a mouse for example People dump them all of the time in places thinking they can survive on their own and they die. New York city is the only city in all of New York State that has them as illegal. Oh and they are note less domesticated, ferrets predate the cat, and possibly the dog in terms of domestication. You can see them documented all the way back to Ancient Greece. They are trainable just like cat and dogs. Did you know that for the Sydney Olympic Games they used ferrets to do all of the wiring in the stadium My ferret knows many tricks such as come, stand, jump, and run up my leg. He does them on command as well. He also doesn't run off. They are even litter trainable. Papu is actually closer to how ferrets behave then most people think. I can assure you they have a ton of emotions, they giggle when happy even Just look up ferret Dooking.



icandybunny wrote:

I dont know if thats true or not, I live in new york city and ive seen them for sale at alot of petcos and petlands over here.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to sell them if they weren't legal.


It depends on where you live. They are illegal within city limits, but they are legal on say long island, or Nassau county because NYC is the only place ferrets are illegal in all of New York State. It creates confusion for people, especially in queens because you can literally walk out of city limits. If you go into any pet-store, especially petco, and petland, you will see they don't have ferrets at all within city limits. They do however sell the food, toys, cages, and other things ferrets need, because they know people keep them in the city even though they are illegal.


I live in the bronx and ive seen there for sale here as well as in manhatthan... i really don't know where you are getting your information from ... are you even from new york city?

because ive seen them at almost all petstores i have gone into in the city.


I have lived in NYC my whole life and I have never seen a ferret for sale in petco or petland. Are you sure your not confusing them for chinchillas? You can google it if you want and you will see they are illegal. This is what ferrets look like in case your getting them mixed up with another critter.


And if your talking about advertisements that is because petco publishes for the tristate area, not just NYC.



lol i know what a ferret looks like and yes they were definitely ferrets and yes for sale in the city of nyc at petco and petlands
and yes more than one store had them for sale.
25869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 1/18/14

icandybunny wrote:


Inoushi wrote:


icandybunny wrote:


Inoushi wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Um no

GerryO wrote:

Really I didn't know they weren't legal in ny, it's a shame Ferrets are really cool pets
I used to have one and she was really cute, I only had her for 2 months before I had to give her to my cousin since my allergies got really bad since we had her inside.
The same reason why hedgehogs are illegal there. If they were to somehow escape, they would have no way of surviving on their own like a dog or cat might. They do not belong in the city. It's typically illegal to have those kind of less domestic animals in those urban areas

*Also, that's a red panda, not a ferret

lol Papu is a mix up between a red panda and a ferret. Red pandas are much bigger than him, and they have a different shape. As far as the idea they are more likely to die in the city, that is completely false. Pet ferrets need to eat every 4 hours, and tend to imprint on their food, so if they are kibble fed they won't even attempt to eat a mouse for example People dump them all of the time in places thinking they can survive on their own and they die. New York city is the only city in all of New York State that has them as illegal. Oh and they are note less domesticated, ferrets predate the cat, and possibly the dog in terms of domestication. You can see them documented all the way back to Ancient Greece. They are trainable just like cat and dogs. Did you know that for the Sydney Olympic Games they used ferrets to do all of the wiring in the stadium My ferret knows many tricks such as come, stand, jump, and run up my leg. He does them on command as well. He also doesn't run off. They are even litter trainable. Papu is actually closer to how ferrets behave then most people think. I can assure you they have a ton of emotions, they giggle when happy even Just look up ferret Dooking.



icandybunny wrote:

I dont know if thats true or not, I live in new york city and ive seen them for sale at alot of petcos and petlands over here.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to sell them if they weren't legal.


It depends on where you live. They are illegal within city limits, but they are legal on say long island, or Nassau county because NYC is the only place ferrets are illegal in all of New York State. It creates confusion for people, especially in queens because you can literally walk out of city limits. If you go into any pet-store, especially petco, and petland, you will see they don't have ferrets at all within city limits. They do however sell the food, toys, cages, and other things ferrets need, because they know people keep them in the city even though they are illegal.


I live in the bronx and ive seen there for sale here as well as in manhatthan... i really don't know where you are getting your information from ... are you even from new york city?

because ive seen them at almost all petstores i have gone into in the city.


I have lived in NYC my whole life and I have never seen a ferret for sale in petco or petland. Are you sure your not confusing them for chinchillas? You can google it if you want and you will see they are illegal. This is what ferrets look like in case your getting them mixed up with another critter.


And if your talking about advertisements that is because petco publishes for the tristate area, not just NYC.



lol i know what a ferret looks like and yes they were definitely ferrets and yes for sale in the city of nyc at petco and petlands
and yes more than one store had them for sale.


Well... I really have no stock in the matter myself; however, whether you saw them or not there is plenty of information around the internet suggesting that they are indeed illegal in NYC. To what extent they are illegal or how strong the law to ban them is actually enforced is another matter entirely. Point being whether you saw them or not is hearsay and furthermore irrelevant.

Sources:
http://www.nycferrets.com/
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/ferrets/a/ferretbanNYC.htm
http://www.newyorktails.com/ferret.htm
I could keep posting more; however, I feel it's unnecessary... Google it yourself for a wealth more of sources.
20471 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Pinellas Park, FL
Offline
Posted 1/18/14


True enough. And like someone said it's also to prevent complete habitat obliteration by a single species although no one minds when we do it apparently. That's also why subway rats are the official animal of NYC. That or the ones with wings. Pretty sure the subway ones though.



I agree. It kind of doesn't matter. They tell us New Yorkers not to bring in A LOT of things. But guess what. We are expert smugglers and lawbreakers. We're farming our countries plant and animal life in our backyards or basements. And to be honest I'm not sure if anyone really knows the laws on it so the police or some passerby couldn't even call you out on it.



But these little guys are excellent companions. People may call them a chore to have but like anything with a little effort you can have so much more than not.

All-in-all it doesn't come down to the legality of if it should be allowed in NYC. The laws are there to rule out a future problem not really to stop you from having it. It depends on the care and responsibility you put into it. I.E. Don't go leaving your parakeets or macaws cages open saying they need to stretch their wings and that they'll come back on their own.
Posted 1/18/14
All those quotes and no c-c-combo breakers.... pity.

Anyway, I hate ferrets. We used to have 2 when I was a kid. They always 'broke out' and shit everywhere. Needless to say, they 'ran away'. Just like my goldfish...

That being my personal opinion, doesn't negate the fact that banning the things isn't dumb. Im sure some people like them, and apparently some of those people live in NYC. You guys should have the right to scrub ferret shit out of your sofa, just like anyone else.
35284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/14

Stonewolfe wrote:


ahatestory wrote:

Ferrets are bad, mmkay? Haven't any of you seen The Big Lebowski?


Hey Man.... that is just like... your opinion... man.


An opinion you'll share after they pee on your rug, dude.
9817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 1/18/14

dankuuwut wrote:

I want a fox, and a crow, but I wouldn't petition to make it legal to raise, breed and restrict them to be my personal pet toy that match my furniture. I think it's important to separate liking animals to the point where you want to capture one, and respecting animals. But do as you wish.


Ferret is a domesticated breed, however, like poodles and persian cats. Ferrets haven't been truly "wild" since their European polecat ancestors. There are feral ferret populations and feral/polecat mixes that can be found outside of human care, but that's no different from feral dogs running about and dog/wolf hybridization.
4878 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / LV-426
Offline
Posted 1/18/14
I want an aye aye.

81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 1/18/14

ahatestory wrote:


Stonewolfe wrote:


ahatestory wrote:

Ferrets are bad, mmkay? Haven't any of you seen The Big Lebowski?


Hey Man.... that is just like... your opinion... man.


An opinion you'll share after they pee on your rug, dude.


Actually getting out of my Dude speak for a minute, had a ferret named Lebowski when I was a kid. My parents named him obviously since at the age of like 10 I didn't even know what The Dude or Lebowski was.

But yeah those little ferrets man... they stink like no tomorrow.
One Punch Mod
85954 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
Year-end cleaning. Closing threads with no new posts since 2014
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.