First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Women and Insanity
Posted 1/19/14
The label of crazy has been attached to women when they express feelings which are inconvenient to men. This can be seen as abuse, as not being attentive to the feelings of others except your own is self-centered. Unfortunately, women often feel attraction to abusive men, and the more manipulation through downputting behavior that occurs, the more attraction there sometimes is. The trained role of servitude to men in women lead to this and the decision many women made to break free of their roles was inevitable, but they often go about with a sort emotional armoring called independence, where they are seldom happy.

It can be argued that women aren't crazy, but very good at expressing how they feel, and when men ignore them, it frustrates them, which can make them appear irrational in a way some label as crazy.
24583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/19/14 , edited 1/19/14
More like we're thinking, not ignoring. I get what you mean though.
28514 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Delaware
Offline
Posted 1/20/14
Women wear their heart on their sleeve, they're emotional transparent, contrary to men. Women seem irrational because they are, men tend to keep their emotions in check and remain calm whereas women quickly act upon them. And men don't ignore women, we're just conditioned not to share our feelings and when we do, we get punished for it, so we'd rather avoid the situation altogether.
38403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29
Offline
Posted 1/20/14
Well if you look at the origins of the term hysteria you will see that it comes from the fact that medical practitioners thought that females had a wandering uterus and so that made them go crazy.
4980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / ireland
Offline
Posted 1/21/14
Women used to get locked away in institutions here for the flimsiest of reasons. I'll take any shit about women being more prone to mental illness with a whole tablespoon of salt.




5139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/21/14 , edited 1/21/14

women often feel attraction to abusive men, and the more manipulation through downputting behavior that occurs, the more attraction there sometimes is


Alright, where is the study confirming that women are mostly attracted to abusive men? From your post, I could assume that most men are abusive since most women go for them, so it would only be natural for men to be abusive as their chances on getting a partner are higher like that. Or maybe most men are abusive and women don't get much to pick from. Well...whichever it is...I highly doubt that there is any truth to women in general being attracted to abusive men.
1314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 1/21/14

sevenhells wrote:

The label of crazy has been attached to women when they express feelings which are inconvenient to men. This can be seen as abuse, as not being attentive to the feelings of others except your own is self-centered. Unfortunately, women often feel attraction to abusive men, and the more manipulation through downputting behavior that occurs, the more attraction there sometimes is. The trained role of servitude to men in women lead to this and the decision many women made to break free of their roles was inevitable, but they often go about with a sort emotional armoring called independence, where they are seldom happy.

It can be argued that women aren't crazy, but very good at expressing how they feel, and when men ignore them, it frustrates them, which can make them appear irrational in a way some label as crazy.


I would like to see this study. Show your sources if you're going to claim something like this.

Also as a woman who has been in an abusive relationship I want to say that it wasn't attraction that kept me, it was fear. There was no attraction once the abuse began.
1180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Iowa
Offline
Posted 1/22/14
I think the whole "crazy" concept is all apart of the fact the men wanted some kind of dominance over women and when women didn't abide by them fully they pulled out the crazy card. Which in turn would get you locked in a mental asylum back in the day. I assume the term stuck because we still live in a male dominated society that looks down on women, not the same way as before but we aren't equals.

Posted 1/22/14

Irybell wrote:


sevenhells wrote:

The label of crazy has been attached to women when they express feelings which are inconvenient to men. This can be seen as abuse, as not being attentive to the feelings of others except your own is self-centered. Unfortunately, women often feel attraction to abusive men, and the more manipulation through downputting behavior that occurs, the more attraction there sometimes is. The trained role of servitude to men in women lead to this and the decision many women made to break free of their roles was inevitable, but they often go about with a sort emotional armoring called independence, where they are seldom happy.

It can be argued that women aren't crazy, but very good at expressing how they feel, and when men ignore them, it frustrates them, which can make them appear irrational in a way some label as crazy.


I would like to see this study. Show your sources if you're going to claim something like this.

Also as a woman who has been in an abusive relationship I want to say that it wasn't attraction that kept me, it was fear. There was no attraction once the abuse began.


I feel with you, though I know not the experience you suffered.

I derived my forum topic from this article below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/harris-oamalley/on-labeling-women-crazy_b_4259779.html
55111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 1/22/14
Men deflect from their own actions by calling women crazy. Frankly, I am tired of the label being placed on women by men who just can't handle a woman who has emotions and expresses them.
Posted 1/22/14
You say that, but there are men who stick to abusive women as well. See the Emma Robert case, yet when a woman is abusing a man... she gets a free pass. This is one of the double standards of society.

It's not about being attracted to "abusive" people, sometimes people fall in love (or become attached) and they aren't able to leave; it's a psychological defect.


I, for one, am not like that. It depends on the mentality of each individual. The more I love a person, the more I let the person go. There's a saying that goes, "If you love something, you let it go, if it comes back, then it's yours".

In a way, my mentality is like that because I don't care if I die alone. Women don't think like that. They have a biological clock ticking at them, they want to start a family. It feels like they don't want to waste time by leaving one man for another. Which is fair enough. But I think that's why men get the upperhand when it comes to dating, they don't have a biological clock. They can have children at 50.
55111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 1/22/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

You say that, but there are men who stick to abusive women as well. See the Emma Robert case, yet when a woman is abusing a man... she gets a free pass. This is one of the double standards of society.

It's not about being attracted to "abusive" people, sometimes people fall in love (or become attached) and they aren't able to leave; it's a psychological defect.


I, for one, am not like that. It depends on the mentality of each individual. The more I love a person, the more I let the person go. There's a saying that goes, "If you love something, you let it go, if it comes back, then it's yours".

In a way, my mentality is like that because I don't care if I die alone. Women don't think like that. They have a biological clock ticking at them, they want to start a family. It feels like they don't want to waste time by leaving one man for another. Which is fair enough. But I think that's why men get the upperhand when it comes to dating, they don't have a biological clock. They can have children at 50.


who are you talking to when you are referring to abuse?
223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M
Offline
Posted 1/22/14 , edited 1/22/14

sevenhells wrote:

The label of crazy has been attached to women when they express feelings which are inconvenient to men. This can be seen as abuse, as not being attentive to the feelings of others except your own is self-centered. Unfortunately, women often feel attraction to abusive men, and the more manipulation through downputting behavior that occurs, the more attraction there sometimes is. The trained role of servitude to men in women lead to this and the decision many women made to break free of their roles was inevitable, but they often go about with a sort emotional armoring called independence, where they are seldom happy.

It can be argued that women aren't crazy, but very good at expressing how they feel, and when men ignore them, it frustrates them, which can make them appear irrational in a way some label as crazy.


You do realize that between 33-50% of demographed Western World is classified as crazy or having a disability that makes them seem crazy right?

Just making sure...

I mean how do you not know that everyone else is crazy and part of the sane crowd? (This is a fun philosophical joke lol)



Posted 1/22/14

CalifCat wrote:

who are you talking to when you are referring to abuse?


Oh was replying to OP lol
55111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 1/22/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:


CalifCat wrote:

who are you talking to when you are referring to abuse?


Oh was replying to OP lol


k, I didn't wanna have to go "crazy" on your ass.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.