First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Do you love or hate Mary Sue and Gary Stu type characters?
49237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 1/21/14 , edited 1/28/14
Let me know if a thread like this exist.
Thanks a bunches.


My Turn:

In my honest opinion, Mary Sue and Gary Stu characters have flaws its just pointless to reveal them since they're meant to only be perfect. Unless you can simply put their perfection is the only flaw they have to back up who they are. Some people crave perfection regardless of what it may be. Doesn't matter if you can't relate to them because they just have to be....perfect.


Explain your personal opinion on this in great detail.
25695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/21/14 , edited 1/21/14
I would say yes because I'm a fan of SuperMan and he was originally a Gary-Stu, not as much now though. It's nice to see a Gary-Stu character every once in a while but constantly, it can get quite boring. But in my mind all characters are Gary Stus's and Mary Stu's because in the end no matter how much trouble they get into they always prevail in the end no matter what.
14760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / US of A
Offline
Posted 1/21/14
I do get annoyed by them but it depends on how good the other elements of the story (other characters, the premise, etc.) are for me. It also depends on the degree of Mary Sueness the character has. By that, I mean how perfect the story presents the character. I will admit, sometimes I do enjoy these characters and not even notice that they were Mary Sues until pointed out to me lol.
49237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 1/21/14

BanditoRalf wrote:

I would say yes because I'm a fan of SuperMan and he was originally a Gary-Stu, not as much now though. It's nice to see a Gary-Stu character every once in a while but constantly, it can get quite boring. But in my mind all characters are Gary Stus's and Mary Stu's because in the end no matter how much trouble they get into they always prevail in the end no matter what.



True.
Posted 1/22/14
I hate those types of characters, they ruin the story for me.


Characters and dialogues are very important to me; plot is secondary. animation quality and musical score are like the last things on my list.

I think Strike The Blood has those gary stu/mary sue characters and really bad (sex) jokes...
49237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 1/22/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

I hate those types of characters, they ruin the story for me.


Characters and dialogues are very important to me; plot is secondary. animation quality and musical score are like the last things on my list.

I think Strike The Blood has those gary stu/mary sue characters and really bad (sex) jokes...



Okay.
8141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States of...
Offline
Posted 1/25/14
Yes. I liked the premise behind Sword Art Online but.... those cussing characters. Ugh.
49237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 1/25/14

Marosie wrote:

Yes. I liked the premise behind Sword Art Online but.... those cussing characters. Ugh.



Alrighty then.
3733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / イブキド
Offline
Posted 1/26/14
Sometimes...
49237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 1/27/14

Legion13 wrote:

Sometimes...



Cool.
26758 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / O
Offline
Posted 1/27/14 , edited 1/27/14
I absolutely Hate Mary Sues, but only sometimes dislike Gary Stus. It depends on the story.
37504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 1/27/14
I hate people complaining about them on the forums about ten times more than I hate the characters themselves. A popular anime comes out with a strong protagonist and suddenly all I see everywhere I turn it "OMG GARY STU GARY STU GARY STU GARY STU" So irritating!
49237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 1/28/14

Balzack wrote:

I hate people complaining about them on the forums about ten times more than I hate the characters themselves. A popular anime comes out with a strong protagonist and suddenly all I see everywhere I turn it "OMG GARY STU GARY STU GARY STU GARY STU" So irritating!


Oh...I'm sorry.
71034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/28/14
Isn't Mary Sue a fan fiction trope where it's obvious that the protagonist is the author? Because those characters are the worst
49237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 1/28/14

G0GOPANDA wrote:

Isn't Mary Sue a fan fiction trope where it's obvious that the protagonist is the author? Because those characters are the worst



Yes.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.